PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Swans Admin

Nico
12th February 2003, 09:11 PM
Last Saturday my 88 year old father passed away.

He was a Swans supporter all his life, and even got Pay TV 2 years ago to ensure he saw as many games as possible during the season, and replays.

In planning his send off we thought we would ask the Media/Public Relations Dept at the Club to send a tribute to his lifetime support of the Swans. I sent an email on Tuesday evening.

By 10.30 today Tara from admin had left a message on my mobile
to give her a call. I picked up the message later in the day, called and discussed with her what we would like written.

The result is a tribute to Jim Nicoll from the club and thanking him for his long and unfailing support. (Got to be close to a record, although it is some years since he was a paid up member).

He was a great admirer of Nash, Pratt, Clegg, Skilton and Bedford (just thought Wheels was the most skilled Swans player he has seen). Saw the 1933 Grand Final and could give a blow by blow description of the 1945 Blood Bath.

In latter years he was in awe of Kelly, Plugger and Roos. So it was fitting that his tribute was signed by Paul Roos.

Thank you Tara and the Swans Admin staff. We will be finishing the service tomorrow with a reading of his tribute followed by the Swans Theme Song.

Jim was a great person, Anzac and Australian who loved his country and our game, and this will just top off his great contribution to his country.

The gesture by our Club is what our fantastic game and it's culture is all about.

I just thought I should share the Club's contribution with my fellow supporters, so that if others have similar favours to ask that they are aware of the Club's willingness to help.

Go Swans.

:)

desredandwhite
12th February 2003, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Nico. I'm sure wherever your father is, he'll be singing along every time we sing the song after a win :)

A big onya to the club too - who says they don't care about the supporters?

Destructive
12th February 2003, 11:44 PM
A very nice gesture from the club. Condolences to you and your family Nico.

Charlie
13th February 2003, 07:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Nico. It sounds like this tribute went to a very deserving man.

American sports teams could learn alot from AFL footy. I'd love to see them do something like this.

Troy G
13th February 2003, 09:52 AM
That would bring a tear to a glass eye! Lovely stuff!

Grant
13th February 2003, 08:16 PM
Ditto to all of the above.Sorry to hear that Nico,and congrats to the club for their effort.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:23 PM
Classy swans....

liz
13th February 2003, 08:29 PM
Condolences Nico.

And good to be reminded that the Club is about more than merely football.

Bron
13th February 2003, 08:47 PM
Condolences Nico. Remember him well.

I have a similar story (although the person involved was not a family member, rather someone I had met through the Club in the Redbacks). This week I went to the funeral of a long time member of the Club. He was quite fanatical about the Swans and well involved in the Club. Like your grandfather, his funeral ended with Cheer Cheer (preceded by Up There for Sydney). The Club assisted in organising the funeral and were well represented. PK, Dunks, Jude and Wharfey (with others) were pall bearers. Senior members of the Club were there, as were other players.

I was proud that they gave back to the people who had given much support to them.