PDA

View Full Version : Injury News

ScottH
12th May 2008, 10:04 AM
The Injury Report (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-injury-report/2008/05/11/1210444244201.html)

C Bolton (Syd)concussionLeft dazed after a clash in the first quarter on Saturday night but should recover in time for this week's game.

:D Tough little bugger.

POSSIBLE RETURNS THIS WEEK
N Malceski (Syd)knee surgery

:eek:

L Jetta (Ess)hamstring

S Lonergan (Ess)hamstring

No mention of Mcveigh. But it was written late last week he was on track to return this round.

Mike_B
12th May 2008, 11:53 AM
Jetta played last week against Port...

ScottH
12th May 2008, 12:00 PM
Jetta played last week against Port...

So he is a possible return this week then!! :p

TheGrimReaper
12th May 2008, 01:55 PM
Does that mean, he'll return via the reserves or the seniors Scott? That's great if he returns to the seniors. :D

ScottH
12th May 2008, 02:12 PM
Does that mean, he'll return via the reserves or the seniors Scott? That's great if he returns to the seniors. :D

The article from last week indicated the reserves.

31 hard at it
12th May 2008, 10:20 PM
Roos told 3AW tonight the Malcheski could be playing this weekend.
They speculated he meant againt Essendon ???

Any one with an update?

DST
12th May 2008, 10:35 PM
Roos told 3AW tonight the Malcheski could be playing this weekend.
They speculated he meant againt Essendon ???

Any one with an update?

Will certainly play this weekend if he gets through full training on Thursday night. But it will only be reserves at this stage, can't see him spending too much time in the ressies though as it will pointless once he has had two weeks to get some touch.

DST
:D

ScottH
14th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Full listPlayer |Injury|Return
Veszpremi P |Groin |1 wk
O'Keefe D |Groin |1 wk
Grundy H |Foot |1-2 wks
Meredith B |Shoulder |2-3 wks
Laidlaw M |Hamstring |2-3 wks
Hall B |Wrist/Susp |Rnd 12
Thornton K |Knee |Season
White J |Ankle |Test
Malceski N |Knee |Test
Kennelly T |Hamstring |Test
Currie D |Ankle |Test
Ablett L |Calf |Test

stellation
14th May 2008, 09:21 AM
Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about Grundy's injury?

Triple B
14th May 2008, 02:14 PM
Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about Grundy's injury?

Not sure, but u may be the only one who is unduly worried.

I'm more concerned that Laidlaw is still listed at 2-3 for his hammy, sustained 3 weeks ago. :(

ugg
14th May 2008, 02:34 PM
Seems Vespa is the new Doyle. :(

dread and might
14th May 2008, 02:36 PM

Settle down

TheGrimReaper
14th May 2008, 02:36 PM

God, I hope not. :eek:

Ludwig
20th May 2008, 06:36 PM

Vespa is now gone up to 1 to 2 weeks.

Also a big worry is DOK. Now listed as indefinite with a groin injury. Could be the dreaded Osteitis Pubis. Starting to worry that his career will never get on track at this rate.

LRTs LoveChild
21st May 2008, 06:06 PM

Ease up!

Any word on Bazza and his wrist? Will he be right to go when his suspension is up?

DST
21st May 2008, 06:24 PM
Ease up!

Any word on Bazza and his wrist? Will he be right to go when his suspension is up?

Word is he will be ready to go against the Saints in round 12.

DST
:D

ugg
28th May 2008, 01:06 AM
Vespa now listed as indefinite

Casualty list | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23658719-19742,00.html)

Jewels
28th May 2008, 01:12 AM
No mention of Fozzie.

Justice
30th May 2008, 02:52 PM
No mention of Fozzie.

"... A week after playing his first full game in the reserves, Fosdike spent the second half of last week's seconds match on the bench after suffering a cork just above the knee. It "wasn't a major thing (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/fosdike-takes-the-long-road-back-to-top/2008/05/29/1211654225631.html?page=2)" and he will be fit to play this Sunday against Eastlake..."

Good News

Cheers

Justice

ScottH
4th June 2008, 09:41 AM
Vespa now listed as indefiniteBack to 2 weeks, now.

Maybe he's got Crouch Disease?

Bas
4th June 2008, 11:55 PM
Speaking of Crouch, where is he?

Not on injury list and not playing reserves.

Is he done?

Chookbilly
10th June 2008, 03:54 PM
Injury update - 10/06/08

ugg
11th June 2008, 12:57 AM
Casualty list | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23658719-19742,00.html)

bigswan
11th June 2008, 11:20 AM
The big worry about the injury list is DOK's groin. I assume he has OP and that they are going to give him lots of time to overcome it. I hope he stays on the list. These injuries take a long time to get over and you can make decisions on them too early. Sydney seems to give promising players plenty of time so he should be all right. The poor guy needs a bit of luck. They are also giving Vesz plenty of time but a fit return by the boy will be worth waiting for.

liz
11th June 2008, 01:20 PM
The big worry about the injury list is DOK's groin. I assume he has OP and that they are going to give him lots of time to overcome it. I hope he stays on the list. These injuries take a long time to get over and you can make decisions on them too early. Sydney seems to give promising players plenty of time so he should be all right. The poor guy needs a bit of luck. They are also giving Vesz plenty of time but a fit return by the boy will be worth waiting for.

In a perverse way, the confirmation that DOK has a pretty serious groin injury is good news. In the few outings he's had this year he's looked way off the pace, certainly not worthy of a first round pick in a "super draft". I'm much happier that this ordinary form (especially his all round tentativeness) is explained by injury than by him simply not being up to it.

And unless the club has queries over his application (and I've heard nothing to suggest they should) they are in the position of being able to give him plenty of time. They've shown patience with Schmidt and Moore and are in the fortunate position of having several up and comers who can slot in and play through the midfield or at half forward. Ongoing success at injury management, together with the requisite amount of "luck" in suffering injuries in the first place, continues to be an advantage in developing the youngsters at the pace they need to be developed, not rushing them in too quickly nor being forced to make hasty decisions.

Triple B
11th June 2008, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see him delisted and rookied.

liz
11th June 2008, 01:55 PM
It would me. The club has no guarantee he'd last until the rookie draft. Even though he's done nothing yet, he had a good junior pedigree and I suspect another club would jump in and pick him up with a late draft pick.

ugg
17th June 2008, 05:42 PM
Official Website of the Australian Football League > News Article > Injury update: round thirteen (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=61652)

Cheese did his hammy, probably explains his absence from the 2nd half of the magoos.

ernie koala
17th June 2008, 09:41 PM
Not looking good for DOK.:(

SimonH
18th June 2008, 06:47 PM
Having persisted with little Willo (who was taken at almost exactly the same pick) for 3 years, the chances that DOK will be dumped at the end of this year are zero.

Agree with liz that in the greater scheme of things, the 'announcement' he's out for the year might not be bad. Concede that 2008 is now a write-off, and concentrate on being ready to fly by mid-Feb or whenever the first practice match is.

Roos' Swans are not the sort of team to dump players en masse for the sake of change, and so the smart money would be on a minimum 3 draft picks being used again this year. With the likely retirements (forced or otherwise) of Spida, Crouch and Mathews, that'll be almost enough. Only one more spot might need to be created to make way for a rookie promotion (presumably Smith). Space could possibly be created by way of trade as well. Which is a whole separate thread.

liz
18th June 2008, 10:38 PM
Only one more spot might need to be created to make way for a rookie promotion (presumably Smith). Space could possibly be created by way of trade as well. Which is a whole separate thread.

Suspect it depends on what they view the depth of this draft to be like (as opposed to the top end quality, which people are already saying is top shelf). We have a squeeze on spots even down to the rookie list and the club is going to need to weigh up the prospects of Smith, Bruce and O'Dwyer against their potential replacements in this year's draft.

As I wrote elsewhere, under current rules only 3 rookies can be retained for a 2nd/3rd year without being promoted or delisted and redrafted. Two of those spots must already be earmarked for Murphy and Orreal as there was no point taking them otherwise (with the only exception being if they decide to promote Murphy at the end of this year). Based on what I've seen so far this year, each of Smith, Bruce and O'Dwyer has shown enough to suggest they might be worth persisting with for another year but to keep them all without going down the delist path, two will need to be promoted if they want to keep all three (plus Murphy and Orreal).

(And given that Smith showed huge improvement in the second half of last season, which probably earned him a second year, it would be foolish to dismiss either Beckmans or Terlich completely when the year is only half over.)

Robbo
18th June 2008, 10:48 PM
DOK can't take a trick.

Anyone know what's wrong with his groin, is it OP?

SimonH
19th June 2008, 04:47 PM
As I wrote elsewhere, under current rules only 3 rookies can be retained for a 2nd/3rd year without being promoted or delisted and redrafted. Two of those spots must already be earmarked for Murphy and Orreal as there was no point taking them otherwise (with the only exception being if they decide to promote Murphy at the end of this year). Based on what I've seen so far this year, each of Smith, Bruce and O'Dwyer has shown enough to suggest they might be worth persisting with for another year but to keep them all without going down the delist path, two will need to be promoted if they want to keep all three (plus Murphy and Orreal).
Whether out of politeness or simple lack of interest, it is extremely rare for a club to delist a player with the intention of re-drafting, and get gazumped by another club picking 'em first. (Can't think of a single instance where it's happened, or even where it's rumoured that the delisting club really wanted them back.) Amon Buchanan being perhaps the best-known example.

So if Sydney want to 'keep' Bruce and O'Dwyer (and even Terlich) on top of Orreal and Murphy, I reckon the delist and re-rookie plan would be safe enough. (Although for O'D, after 2 years rookie you'd think it'd be time to fish or cut bait as to promotion or delisting.)

SimonH
25th June 2008, 04:28 PM
Bugger, bugger, bugger. The Swans' updated injury list is now up (http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2008/InjuryList/tabid/11505/default.aspx). Firstly, what the hell does "1 week" mean vis-a-vis Spida, Barlow and Fossie? Like, 7 days, or one match? I think we need Spida vs the Woods.

Secondly, terrible to see that Laidlaw has now degenerated to "indefinite" after being just '1-2 weeks' recently. Based on some now slightly ageing performances, he looked to have a really big future. Should have been playing seniors semi-regularly this year if he were fit. Just needs to get on the park.

Bas
30th June 2008, 11:06 PM
Spida is contracted for next year. So he's not going anywhere. You never know but his "?njury"' has been against teams we were expected to beat so you might find he has been given a mid season fresh up for a heavy run into the finals.

SimonH
8th July 2008, 06:05 PM
Near enough to official confirmation (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsid=62907) that the now-starting-to-train (but still not going to play this year) Kristin Thornton will not be cut at the end of 2008.

gossipcom
8th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Damn 3 players now are listed for season. Brett Meredith's gone from test to season. Also Fossie's now 1-2 weeks. So he's no chance for the Hawks match.

Injury List (http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2008/InjuryList/tabid/11505/default.aspx)

ugg
8th July 2008, 10:17 PM
Good to see Faulks is okay. Bad luck for Meredith.

Donners
10th July 2008, 03:00 PM
Spida is contracted for next year. So he's not going anywhere.

I was under the impression he was signed on a two-year deal, and he certainly hasn't been re-signed.

swansrule100
16th July 2008, 10:25 AM
Injury List after round 15
Player Injury Status
Tadhg Kennelly
Shoulder Test

Nick Malceski
Calf Test

Nic Fosdike
Hamstring 1 week

Ed Barlow Hamstring 1 week

Matthew Laidlaw
Hamstring Indefinite
Daniel O'Keefe
Groin Season
Kristin Thornton
Knee ACL
Season

Brett Meredith
Shoulder
Season

Nick Davis
Knee
Season

Tim Schmidt
Knee
Season

stellation
16th July 2008, 10:29 AM
Hooly dooly!

Industrial Fan
16th July 2008, 11:24 AM
Poor timing for Laidlaw too - who seemed certain to get a run in the 1st team this year.

ScottH
16th July 2008, 12:01 PM
Misson in action?

SimonH
16th July 2008, 01:03 PM
This is just awful news. With effectively 6 guys out for the season now, it's turned out to be a relatively poor year injury-wise. Our 2nd-tier has been cut from under us. Only good thing is that there are now heaps of slots for promotion if the Swans feel like giving 4 rookies a game!

The real question with Schmidt is 'what did he do to his knee?' Because if it's an ACL, the club has got a nasty decision as to whether he won't be ready until part-way through the 2009 season, or whether they go down the Malceski route. After 5 long years of solid if largely unspectacular progress, surely they wouldn't dump him now.

Rod_
16th July 2008, 02:02 PM
Good question, what did he do fall in the shower or something...

Rod_

Plugger46
16th July 2008, 02:08 PM
The real question with Schmidt is 'what did he do to his knee?' Because if it's an ACL, the club has got a nasty decision as to whether he won't be ready until part-way through the 2009 season, or whether they go down the Malceski route. After 5 long years of solid if largely unspectacular progress, surely they wouldn't dump him now.

I really hope not as I'm a huge fan. I still can't believe he was dropped after the Port game, as he was pretty important in getting us across the line.

ScottH
29th July 2008, 08:12 AM
Goodes out for 2-3 weeks.

Leo and Malceski possible returns.

Adam Goodes in doubt for Swans' finals run | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24093294-19742,00.html)

ugg
29th July 2008, 11:57 PM
SYDNEY
Ed Barlow (hamstring) - test
Leo Barry (hamstring) - test
Nic Fosdike (hamstring) - test
Nick Malceski (calf) - test
Adam Goodes (groin) - 1-2 weeks
Michael O'Loughlin (ankle) - 3-4 weeks
Henry Playfair (hamstring) - 3-4 weeks
Matthew Laidlaw (hamstring) - indefinite
Tim Schmidt (knee) - indefinite
Nick Davis (knee) - season
Brett Meredith (shoulder) - season
Daniel O'Keefe (groin) - season
Kristin Thornton (knee) - seasonPlayfair :O

ScottH
14th August 2008, 09:09 AM
SYDNEY
Leo Barry (hamstring) - 1 week
Henry Playfair (hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Michael O'Loughlin (ankle) - 2 weeks
Kristin Thornton (knee) - season

No Leo again.

Barlow, Fosdike, Malceski, off the list.

Bob Neil
19th August 2008, 02:19 PM
Crouch seemed to go off early, maybe Q1 with what I thought I saw on the big screen as a knee injury. I may have been mistaken as I then saw him back on later.

But he DID go up the race (maybe Q3) with a (neck?) problem.

Anyone know his status??

Lohengrin
19th August 2008, 02:33 PM
Seemed to hurt his shoulder or collar bone when tackled.

Lucky Knickers
19th August 2008, 03:33 PM
I read somewhere he had a corked neck.

ScottH
19th August 2008, 03:41 PM

Lay him down and let him mature.

Triple B
19th August 2008, 04:32 PM

Lay him down and let him mature.

Crouch Grange 2008.....picked very late in the season after a few disappointing seasons which yielded zero, could be a surprisingly good drop.

ScottH
20th August 2008, 09:37 AM
Not much change, and no Crouch or Moore???

SYDNEY
Leo Barry (hamstring) - available
Michael O'Loughlin (ankle) - 1 week
Henry Playfair (hamstring) - 1 week
Kristin Thornton (knee) - season

satchmopugdog
20th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Crouch Grange 2008.....picked very late in the season after a few disappointing seasons which yielded zero, could be a surprisingly good drop.

I liked it. Good one