PDA

View Full Version : Time to own up...where are the hands up

Ajn
8th June 2008, 12:19 AM
J Bolton
Paul Bevan
Jarryd McVeigh

These guys have been potted many times in these forums for their goal kicking and under pressure they all delivered to get us over the line.

Let's get behind them

Goal Sneak
8th June 2008, 01:21 AM
Although I have only bagged these guys a couple of times, I still don't take anything back. At the time of any harsh comments made about these three, they have been awful. I am happy to admit they are playing much better.

Would you have included Jude if he had missed that kick? I think not.

TheMase
8th June 2008, 01:32 AM
I thought Jude for most part was ordinary tonight. He made position well around goal a couple of times, but other than that was very ordinary.

BSA5
8th June 2008, 04:02 AM
I thought Jude for most part was ordinary tonight. He made position well around goal a couple of times, but other than that was very ordinary.

Jude was bloody fantastic! Not sure what game you were watching, but his tackling was absolutely brilliant, and he got a number of great clearances. Usually I'm a Jude bagger, but he was among our best.

In regards to the OP, I have never bagged McVeigh. See the sig. Jude Bolton, well, he has been @@@@ for most of this year, but has been good these last three weeks. Paul Bevan has improved immensely. He is playing with confidence, which has made all the difference. I'll admit I used to bag him a lot, but credit to him, he has been great this year.

doctor swan
8th June 2008, 09:24 AM
i need to find other players to bag. help
mthews in magoos , bevo and mcveigh in career best form and b1 3 good games in a row and a match winner.
any ideas ....
i ll eat lots of humble pie at this stage of the season

Reggi
8th June 2008, 10:06 AM
i need to find other players to bag.

I am still recovering from Warren McKenzie

The Nick Davis Descendancy has also created problems

bandwagon
8th June 2008, 10:09 AM
i need to find other players to bag. help

I'd stick with bagging Ablett. Serviceable at best, often does something really, really bad to remind me why i bag him.

It is great to see how Bevan has improved, but McVeigh is a whole new player - that crucial goal in the last quarter (50 out difficult angle) pretty much summed up his game.

Jeffers1984
8th June 2008, 10:44 AM
I'd stick with bagging Ablett. Serviceable at best, often does something really, really bad to remind me why i bag him.
Speaking of Ablett. Isn't he the worst set shot at goal in our team? Seriously note down a behind each time he marks inside 50. Tries to kick the crap out of the ball instead of following through.

That being said, he had an awesome last quarter (although was Mr. invisible again for 3 quarters).

DST
8th June 2008, 12:07 PM
Jude was bloody fantastic! Not sure what game you were watching, but his tackling was absolutely brilliant, and he got a number of great clearances. Usually I'm a Jude bagger, but he was among our best.

In regards to the OP, I have never bagged McVeigh. See the sig. Jude Bolton, well, he has been @@@@ for most of this year, but has been good these last three weeks. Paul Bevan has improved immensely. He is playing with confidence, which has made all the difference. I'll admit I used to bag him a lot, but credit to him, he has been great this year.

We would not have won last night without Jude, he was the only one of our midfielders who was able to consistently win a clearance.

Topped it off nicely with the winner.

DST

SyCoTiC
8th June 2008, 01:28 PM
I think Jude showed more with the effectiveness of his disposals than he's show in a long time. Definitely a significant improvement and I still think he should be starting in and under at the ruck contest with Kirk.

Big Al
8th June 2008, 02:25 PM
Except for the last 3 weeks, Jude has been terrible. It's now good to see he's living up to the wraps the Melbourne media seem to have on him.

Jewels
8th June 2008, 02:33 PM
J Bolton
Paul Bevan
Jarryd McVeigh

These guys have been potted many times in these forums for their goal kicking and under pressure they all delivered to get us over the line.

Let's get behind them

My hands up as being one of the biggest knockers of these three. :o
I love the feeling of all this egg on my face :o

Big Al
8th June 2008, 02:36 PM
My hands up as being one of the biggest knockers of these three. :o
I love the feeling of all this egg on my face :o

Any one with a pulse would have egg on their face. The 3 players in question have been terrible in the past and rightly deserved criticism. It's great to see they have taken all our constructive suggestions on RWO and improved.;)

ScottH
8th June 2008, 03:12 PM
Those 3 have been lambasted for their general field play and kicking, not necessarily for their goal kicking.

McV and Bevan's kicking at goal has always been pretty good IIRC.

B1 has been pretty ordinary, esp. at a distance. Last nights kick was an exception.

RogueSwan
8th June 2008, 05:56 PM
Those 3 have been lambasted for their general field play and kicking, not necessarily for their goal kicking.

McV and Bevan's kicking at goal has always been pretty good IIRC.

B1 has been pretty ordinary, esp. at a distance. Last nights kick was an exception.

Just what I was going to say Scott. I have never had a problem with either of McVeigh or Bevo has a shot on goal. B1 used to be quite solid, but has been suspect for quite a while.
I was gladly wiping egg from my cheeks last night after Jude slotted that one straight through.
I love the fact you now it is a goal, watching on tele, because of the total silence of the crowd.

BeeEmmAre
8th June 2008, 06:02 PM
How about we try something different and bag no one for a change?

Enjoy what was a @@@@ing fantastic win.

TheMase
8th June 2008, 07:34 PM

I actually meant McVeigh. Had too many drinks...

BSA5
8th June 2008, 07:41 PM
I actually meant McVeigh. Had too many drinks...

Even McVeigh was good. Well, he was ordinary before half time, but so was everybody. After half time, he showed a fair bit of class in the stoppages, and made some really good decisions. Not the sort of things that jump at you, but he was an important part of us turning the clearances around in the second half.

reigning premier
8th June 2008, 07:47 PM
Old news....

Called these three as being the difference this year. McVeigh and Bevan have been outstanding all year. Jude is playing out of his skin at the moment. Considering the year that all 3 of them had last year, it's about time they contributed something....

And if you're looking for someone to bag.... Come on down Messers Ablett & Roberts Thompson... Plenty about both of them NOT to like at the moment...

Triple B
8th June 2008, 07:50 PM
And if you're looking for someone to bag.... Come on down Messers Ablett & Roberts Thompson... Plenty about both of them NOT to like at the moment...

Ablett was VERY good in the vital last quarter last night, almost our best.

reigning premier
8th June 2008, 09:40 PM
Ablett was VERY good in the vital last quarter last night, almost our best.

Didn't see it that way... Then again, considering his effort the other three quarters, he really did need to pull something out of the bag. But personally, I didn't see it...

woo
8th June 2008, 10:55 PM
for the most part I think jude is useless....but looks good as he is useless.
I would have put my house on him missing that last goal and did say "I would take a draw from this game" as he went for goal....impressive goal from him but wont be expexting the same in any game in the near future....I dont forget those 2 misses in a gf loss not that long ago quickly

AnnieH
9th June 2008, 02:12 PM
Any one with a pulse would have egg on their face. The 3 players in question have been terrible in the past and rightly deserved criticism. It's great to see they have taken all our constructive suggestions on RWO and improved.;)

Right on bro!!

It's just how RP and I want to buy a tile outside the SCG that say ... "We loved you when you were @@@@."

Right up until the last 90-odd seconds of Saturday's game, this board was seething with anger and hostility towards all the players.

Their criticism has been deserved; as are their kudos.

McVeigh used his footy brain very deep in defence ... good one.
Bevo's confidence in sneaking in a few goals here and there is promising.
Let's not get carried away ... I think Jude was more surprised than ANYONE that that goal got through. He still has lots of room for improvement.

As for Ablett ... sheesh.

Hartijon
9th June 2008, 05:35 PM
He seems to have developed a better action when kicking. Before he noticeably dropped the ball too close to his body when kicking which is fine when you want a quick kick out of a pack (his main role!) but hopeless for distance and direction when in field play. I remember one game he actually kicked the ball and it hit the ground 5 metres in front of him as he made contact too close to his body and his foot would have been too bent to get elevation.

That goal against the West Coast was a lovely balanced kick and totally intentional,not good luck,it even spun perfectly as it silenced the crowd.A thing of true beauty!Sweetest kick of the year!

JF_Bay22_SCG
9th June 2008, 05:44 PM
J Bolton
Paul Bevan
Jarryd McVeigh

Let's get behind them

Man, I'd like to. But especially in the case of Ryan O'Keefe & Jude Bolton shots on goal have been missed by both of them in matches we have lost not by very much.

It was awesome he kicked that goal on Saturday night. But that does not mean we should forget the efforts he put in against North Melbourne either.

JF

TheHood
9th June 2008, 06:24 PM
I thought Jude's 2nd half was his best footy for 2008 and that was before that fantastic pressure kick!

connolly
9th June 2008, 11:17 PM
I am still recovering from Warren McKenzie

The Nick Davis Descendancy has also created problems

Indeed. McKenzie was the worst "premiership player" ever recruited? Bevo taking the game by the scruff of the neck and driving a stake into the heart of the dark side will mute even the most vociferous Bevophobe for at least a week. After his assassin like slotting of two critical goals in two minutes he was sent into defense where he quarterbacked superbly. The Bevo bandwagon overflows with love and goodwill :)

connolly
9th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Bevo's confidence in sneaking in a few goals here and there is promising.

Fair dinkum if your praise was any fainter Annie it would be have to be on a life support system. Bevo is a nightmare for any defender. He has developed a dominant tackling technique which hurts. And he can hurt you on the scoreboard as well. He is very strong front and centre and can take a pack mark. He does his best work in the channell up front and down back. A real handful.

hot potato
9th June 2008, 11:43 PM
Didn't see it that way... Then again, considering his effort the other three quarters, he really did need to pull something out of the bag. But personally, I didn't see it...

I did, Ablett was excellent in the last quarter and especially in the last ten mins, we would NOT have got the four Ppoints without his one percenters. Well done son.

Primmy
10th June 2008, 12:03 AM
I have today in another thread apologised to McVeigh for my attitude towards him in the past and begged forgiveness. I am also humbly aware that the coaching staff know a lot more about their charges than I do.

HOWever, today I am, with much regret, going to bag Cheese. Unless he had a job to do that I couldn't follow, I am not sure what he was about. I am thinking rabbit, I am thinking headlights, I am thinking potential and we are going to have to wait to see what he is really capable of.

End of today's bagging, from me that is.

Primmy
10th June 2008, 12:11 AM
Oh, and I officially would like to register my bagging of anyone who bags Jude. He may not be perfect, but he is committed to the cause and works his butt off. So does Bev, and Luke, and Bulldog, and as for Keiran....oh my, I used to be a mad fan of his father when I followed the other thingy:rolleyes: . Feels kind of freaky.

BSA5
10th June 2008, 01:23 AM
I have today in another thread apologised to McVeigh for my attitude towards him in the past and begged forgiveness. I am also humbly aware that the coaching staff know a lot more about their charges than I do.

HOWever, today I am, with much regret, going to bag Cheese. Unless he had a job to do that I couldn't follow, I am not sure what he was about. I am thinking rabbit, I am thinking headlights, I am thinking potential and we are going to have to wait to see what he is really capable of.

End of today's bagging, from me that is.

Yep, Cheese deserves a bit of a bag. He was absolutely horribly against WC. That doesn't mean he is a horrible player, but that game was an absolute shocker, no question. I reckon he has a future, but only if he hardens up.

RogueSwan
10th June 2008, 10:33 AM
Indeed. McKenzie was the worst "premiership player" ever recruited? Bevo taking the game by the scruff of the neck and driving a stake into the heart of the dark side will mute even the most vociferous Bevophobe for at least a week. After his assassin like slotting of two critical goals in two minutes he was sent into defense where he quarterbacked superbly. The Bevo bandwagon overflows with love and goodwill :)
Fair dinkum if your praise was any fainter Annie it would be have to be on a life support system. Bevo is a nightmare for any defender. He has developed a dominant tackling technique which hurts. And he can hurt you on the scoreboard as well. He is very strong front and centre and can take a pack mark. He does his best work in the channell up front and down back. A real handful.

I have tried to stay out of the whole Bevo arguments, but this sickening rant is not going to do your bandwagon any favours. :eek:

I am still happy Paul is showing great form along with my man McVeigh. :)

Lucky Knickers
10th June 2008, 11:21 AM
I thought Jude's 2nd half was his best footy for 2008 and that was before that fantastic pressure kick!
Yep! I thought he and Ablett were instrumental in applying pressure and more importantly getting the ball forward. It was sensational.

I am more than happy to eat extra servings of humble pie (with icecream) re Bevo and McVeigh. It's great to see them backing themselves and making good smart decisions under pressure.
Bevo's goal was a highlight.

I also want to compliment Jack - after being soundly beaten by Kerr in the 1st half - his second effort to keep his feet, beat Kerr and push the ball forward in the final qtr leading to a goal was brilliant.

royboy42
10th June 2008, 01:58 PM
Although I have only bagged these guys a couple of times, I still don't take anything back. At the time of any harsh comments made about these three, they have been awful. I am happy to admit they are playing much better.

Would you have included Jude if he had missed that kick? I think not.

Of course Jude would have been left out if he missed the kick! That's like saying Leo would have been belted for years if he hadnt taken THE mark!! The point is that they both DID do what was needed. Talking what ifs is pointless.

Chilcott
10th June 2008, 02:22 PM
I also thought Ablett was a key player in the last quarter. He used his strength to break a few tackles, which opened the game up for us.

Barlow, had a shocker, but will learn from it.

goswannie14
10th June 2008, 03:11 PM
Of course Jude would have been left out if he missed the kick! That's like saying Leo would have been belted for years if he hadnt taken THE mark!! The point is that they both DID do what was needed. Talking what ifs is pointless.
Jude should be treated like Schmidt last week. Kick the winning goal and get dropped for the next week.

I thought Jude was ok early on and in the last qrtr, went missing a bit in the 2nd and 3rd IMO. But much imporved on previous weeks.

connolly
27th June 2008, 07:53 AM
I have tried to stay out of the whole Bevo arguments, but this sickening rant is not going to do your bandwagon any favours. :eek:

Well apparently it has had some effect. Its official Bevo is now on the bandwagon!

Bevan now a believer - in himself - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/bevan-now-a-believer--in-himself/2008/06/26/1214472676115.html)

The question is - is Bloods Bevo?

bedford
27th June 2008, 08:31 AM
Great year MCveigh,but last week was back to his rotten best with not 1 clearence this is where he had improved

sharp9
27th June 2008, 09:34 AM
Well, maybe I was wr...wr...wr..wr...wr...wr....ong on McVeigh. he actually does have skills and running ability. Who would have thunk it?He is an above average footballer now, although still not as consistent as the best!

Jude is playing his best football ever. Bevo is playing his best football ever.

I stand by my preference earlier in the season to play a fit Schmidt or younger more skillfull player in their place.....but this decision has worked out so it's certainly a bit churlish to complain.

I strongly felt that Mcveigh should have found his mythical "quality skills" in the twos.....maybe I was wr...wr...wr...wr...wr...ong about the best way to get his perfromance up to AFL level.

But then again I'm a soccer player from New Zealand so what do I know, eh???
;)
:D