PDA

View Full Version : Time to play on - Swans vs rest

Rod_
9th June 2008, 07:21 PM
Is it just me or is the time that the umpire give the Swans before calling "play on" less than all other clubs? We kick the ball to an open player, clear mark and the call to "play on" very quickly. This appears to be less than all other clubs. I really noticed it on Saturday Night. Did anyone else notic?

Why is it so?

I guess someone has told them the umpires to umpire us with different rules? :rolleyes:

Rod_

thejones,s
9th June 2008, 07:58 PM
Yes you are truly correct..i thought it was just me..thanks

liz
9th June 2008, 07:59 PM
I'd been thinking of starting a similar thread. I don't think I've noticed it too much this season but it was evident on Saturday night that the umpires were calling play on very quickly - and in a few cases unfairly. I'm not sure that it was just against us. I think both teams got some quick calls, but the Eagles were maybe playing on a bit more often (especially in the first half) so it probably affected them less.

The Jones / O'Keefe incident towards the end of the game was a bit odd. For a horrible moment I thought O'Keefe was going to give away a 50m penalty because he did seem to have his arms loosely around Jones. And the Jones got called to play on when he shaped to handball. I suppose that Jones' "mistake" was not to come back behind his mark. O'Keefe didn't move forward, just held his ground.

We also arguably benefitted with the 50m penalty to Leo when Lynch anticipated a play on call that hadn't been made. He (Lynch) was probably playing to how the umpires had been making calls all evening, and yet that time they gave Leo latitude, even though he'd marginally moved off the line of his mark.

TheMase
9th June 2008, 08:04 PM
Yep, definitely happening.

Rob-bloods
9th June 2008, 08:34 PM
Once a player motioned to handball without moving off the line and was called play on..a basic umping error.

Agree for some seasons now we seem to get that bit less time.

thejones,s
9th June 2008, 08:45 PM
wow so we all felt that way..maybe they do it on a game by game basis thingy...didnt notice it today in collo game

NMWBloods
9th June 2008, 09:46 PM
I think the AFL is trying to screw with the minds of all fans. AD and AA get together and say "How will we mess with those paranoid freaks on RWO this week - I know, let's make the Swans play on quicker. And then what we will do about those fruitcakes on BF. Perhaps we should just let Goodes off again - maybe ask him to really punch someone next time to really stir things up. Perhaps we should up the salary cap and tell the umpires to pay more holding the ball next week..."

hot potato
9th June 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm not that certain, but they should just call out PLAY ON once and once only, and then let the players sort out what happens next. Gee they love the sound of their own voices.:eek:

Primmy
9th June 2008, 11:57 PM
I have trouble with the work experience umpiring, especially when I find out they are the more senior umpires!

Do you think its the baying of the crowd that makes the difference?

And on that matter, why is there very little baying of the crowd at Swans home games. There used to be such a lot of noise, and now virtually nada.

bedford
9th June 2008, 11:58 PM
I think the AFL is trying to screw with the minds of all fans. AD and AA get together and say "How will we mess with those paranoid freaks on RWO this week - I know, let's make the Swans play on quicker. And then what we will do about those fruitcakes on BF. Perhaps we should just let Goodes off again - maybe ask him to really punch someone next time to really stir things up. Perhaps we should up the salary cap and tell the umpires to pay more holding the ball next week..."
You for one would be happy if goodes got rubbed out

Claret
10th June 2008, 08:43 AM

If you take the red and white glasses off for second . .

NMW makes a valid point - it's ridiculous to think that the Swans are made to play on faster than other clubs.

It happened to both clubs on Saturday night and I would suggest that it happens more often to away teams than home teams. Not just the Swans.

stellation
10th June 2008, 09:57 AM
Actually I think NMWBloods would be happy if there was just some consistency with the tribunal, and he certainly isn't the only one with that opinion.