PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Footy

robamiee
16th June 2008, 08:59 PM
Can someone tell me when was the last time the Swans played on Friday Night.
For a team that has made 2 of the last 3 grand finals and won one.
Made how many finals appearances in the last decade, which i believe we are the highest place team, followed by the weagles, that we do not get to showcase our team on the big stage so to speak, is p*#s poor.

Big Al
16th June 2008, 09:02 PM
The Geelong Semi was a Friday night.

573v30
16th June 2008, 09:05 PM
2006 PF vs. Fremantle was the most recent Friday night game.

SyCoTiC
We all know the reason why. Demetriou isn't the boss. The finances are.

TheGrimReaper
I think it was a game against Melbourne 2005. The ANZAC Day game, if I remember correctly.

573v30
16th June 2008, 09:10 PM
I think it was a game against Melbourne 2005. The ANZAC Day game, if I remember correctly.

The ANZAC day game against Melbourne, Round 5 2003 was the last Friday game for the Swans in the H&A season.

ugg
16th June 2008, 09:11 PM
the last h&a one was the memorable Anzac day match in 2003. When 9 had the Friday night football coverage they also had to show the League game so there was no chance of a Swans game. Similarly, I think 7 don't want to televise a live Friday Swans game against the RL because they know it would lose in the ratings

robamiee
16th June 2008, 09:15 PM
would be the same then for the Lions for Friday night clashes...

Damien
16th June 2008, 09:47 PM
They are willing to take a few risks Friday night wise with the Lions, they do well on FTA against League if it isn't against the Bronco's.

The Swans get absolutely SMASHED against League. Our ratings on Sat Nights or Sundays in Sydney are around 120-180, higher for finals, so you put that up against a League Double Header on 9 and it would spell big time embarrassment for the AFL.

The AFL weren't totally anti the Swans playing on Friday night up until 2000, but when Channel 9 got the AFL rights in 2001, we basically became a no-gone zone due to 9 having League commitments on Friday nights in Sydney.

If I was the AFL, I would put the Collingwood 'blockbuster' on a Friday Night at ANZ, and give 7 permission to delay the coverage until 9.30pm in Sydney. I think the crowd would be massive and the ratings OK in Sydney at 9.30 as it would compete with the delayed Rugby League game instead of the live game on 9.

royboy42
17th June 2008, 04:51 PM
I also seem to remember that we have asked to not be rostered Friday nights. I don't recall any Friday games being away from Melbourne but could be wrong, and we are a big Sunday team, both for TV and for home crowds.

TheGrimReaper
17th June 2008, 04:58 PM
The ANZAC day game against Melbourne, Round 5 2003 was the last Friday game for the Swans in the H&A season.

That was the game I was thinking of but got the year wrong.

Lucky Knickers
17th June 2008, 05:04 PM
If I was the AFL, I would put the Collingwood 'blockbuster' on a Friday Night at ANZ, and give 7 permission to delay the coverage until 9.30pm in Sydney.

I hope they don't - it is bloody hard to get out of work and get to either ANZ or SCG on Friday night - Sydney traffic is horrific.

I had to bust a gut and then some to make the final agst Geelong and the one agst Freo.

My personal preference is for Sat night/Sun games only - it's difficult to also get to a Fri night game from Sydney if you want to travel to Melbourne or other i/state venue.

ugg
17th June 2008, 05:06 PM
We also don't play Sat arvo games in Sydney.

j s
17th June 2008, 07:00 PM
Our tradition of Sunday games goes back to the earliest days. One of the key factors in the push to play regular games in Sydney was TV rights. The laws in Victoria at that time made it difficult to hold a commercial sporting event (like VFL) on a Sunday. All games were played in Sat arvo back then (no night games either) so the Swans Sunday games doubled the amount of footy on TV.

R&WtilIDie
17th June 2008, 07:29 PM
No Friday nights also minimises the chance of only having a 5 day turn around from a previous weeks Sunday game. It also gives the team bit more of a routine.

I hope we don't get any Friday nights for that reason.

Mel
18th June 2008, 10:38 AM
No Friday nights also minimises the chance of only having a 5 day turn around from a previous weeks Sunday game. It also gives the team bit more of a routine.

I hope we don't get any Friday nights for that reason.

I don't think that this would be too much of a problem. Unlike the NRL, the AFL does a reasonably good job of making the timing of games quite fair to all teams.

goswannie14
18th June 2008, 10:47 AM
I thought we didn't play Friday night games because the club requested it.

mcs
18th June 2008, 11:00 AM
I'd like to see us play a game or two on a Saturday arvo- there are no league games ever on a saturday arvo and I think you would draw a good crowd like we do on a Sunday arvo.
I hate trying to get to Friday night matches an absolute pain traffic is shocking all the way to Sydney and then just awful when you get into Sydney proper.

johnno
18th June 2008, 11:11 AM
Dont want to sound cocky here but from where i live (Port Melbourne) it's a 10 minute drive and 5 minute walk ( I know exactley where to park) to the MCG for all games(fri night, sat afternnon, sat night, sun afternoon), and hate to rub it in, but from where I live, it's about a 10 minute walk to the Telstra dome. Not bad me thinks.

johnno
18th June 2008, 11:12 AM
oh, I almost forgot, it is however a 45min to 1 hour drive up the highway to Geelong.

cruiser
18th June 2008, 10:32 PM
The Geelong Semi was a Friday night. The 2005 PF against St Kilda a week later was also on a Friday night. I'm also wondering whether the 2006 QF against the Evils was played on a Friday night. But these days its only finals.

annew
18th June 2008, 10:56 PM
I hope they don't - it is bloody hard to get out of work and get to either ANZ or SCG on Friday night - Sydney traffic is horrific.

I had to bust a gut and then some to make the final agst Geelong and the one agst Freo.

My personal preference is for Sat night/Sun games only - it's difficult to also get to a Fri night game from Sydney if you want to travel to Melbourne or other i/state venue.

Couldn't agree more - I would hate to have the Swans play Friday nights. Too much rush!!

blinddog
19th June 2008, 12:10 AM
I use to love the Friday nite games at the SCG - a few beers after work, roadies along the way and after a win, a big nite till dawn - bring em back. On the flip side I am 8 years older and will probably need to be in bed by 3am

Missy
19th June 2008, 12:17 AM
I'm also wondering whether the 2006 QF against the Evils was played on a Friday night. But these days its only finals.

No it was a Sat night. I remember watching the BDAFL final then going to the pub to watch the PF afterwards.

ash3
19th June 2008, 01:03 AM
I also seem to remember that we have asked to not be rostered Friday nights. I don't recall any Friday games being away from Melbourne but could be wrong, and we are a big Sunday team, both for TV and for home crowds.

Maybe for Sydney based supporters, can't even remember the last time we got a FTA sunday game into Melbourne, we are always the Fox game.

goswannie14
19th June 2008, 07:51 AM
Maybe for Sydney based supporters, can't even remember the last time we got a FTA sunday game into Melbourne, we are always the Fox game.Try the last time 9 amd 10 had the rights. We often have the early game, in the last rights the early and late game were both televised.

Seagoon
2nd August 2008, 03:04 PM
I am hanging for an friday night game at the SCG, Swans v someone. Why don't the Swans ever play on fri nights? Is it some AFL PR decision or something?

eggbeater
2nd August 2008, 03:13 PM
I am hanging for an friday night game at the SCG, Swans v someone. Why don't the Swans ever play on fri nights? Is it some AFL PR decision or something?

AFL doesnt want to go against Rugby League on friday nights?

Seagoon
2nd August 2008, 03:45 PM
Well, it shouldnt be too much longer before we can smash the league... If the union can do it we can too. I would have thought it would be worth testing the water again if we are looking good for the finals a few weeks out...