PDA

View Full Version : New Radio Deal For Sydney

Grant
13th February 2003, 09:34 PM
You can find it here (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=73373)

New radio deal for Sydney
3:03:09 PM Thu 13 February, 2003
Australian Football League

The Australian Football League has announced that Radio 2 in Sydney, a part of the WorldAudio Group, has agreed to broadcast all Sydney Swans' home games for the upcoming 2003 AFL Premiership Season.

Broadcasting on 1611AM as 'The New Voice of Sydney's West', Radio 2 will also broadcast any Swans' finals into Sydney should the Swans qualify for September action.

AFL Commercial Operations Manager Ben Buckley said the AFL was delighted to have secured a commercial broadcaster for matches in Sydney.

"The northern markets of Australia are vital for the continued growth and strength of the AFL and it has been of crucial importance to develop radio rights partnerships in those areas," Mr Buckley said.

"Radio 2's reach, and the appeal and the professionalism of the Sydney Swans, makes this agreement and win for both parties and a boost for Australian football," he said.

Company Chief Executive Officer Andrew Peter Thompson said his station had the potential to reach 2.4 million listeners in Sydney's Greater Western Region.

"The AFL radio broadcast agreement is the result on an ongoing programming strategy and a further dedicated commitment of the WorldAudio Limited to provide top-class national and international sporting events to a growing audience of listeners on Radio 2," Mr Thompson said.

"I look forward to creating a strong relationship with Radio 2 and the AFL in the coming season, enhancing and developing awareness of AFL in the greater western region of Sydney," he said.

Good news for those who can get it.

Ajn
14th February 2003, 06:56 PM
That wouldn't be the whole article now would it? Some people will never learn

Grant
15th February 2003, 12:44 PM
whats the big deal?

EMJ
15th February 2003, 01:18 PM
I may be slow - but to get this station for Swans Broadcasts do we find it on AM 1611 straight up - don't know what 2 1611 means?

Will they broadcast tomorrow - that would be a help!!

Norris Lurker
15th February 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by janpa
I may be slow - but to get this station for Swans Broadcasts do we find it on AM 1611 straight up - don't know what 2 1611 means?

Will they broadcast tomorrow - that would be a help!! It's 1611 on the AM band - right at the extreme right hand end of the radio dial. 2 is just the name of the station. I don't think they're broadcasting tomorrow - you could give it a try but I don't fancy your chances.
702 (ABC) and Newsradio will be doing some games as well, but not necessarily the Swans game. And not all Swans games were broadcast on radio into Sydney in the past, so the new radio arrangements are a very welcome development.

Troy G
18th February 2003, 06:04 PM
If anyone actually had the frequency on their radio dial it would be welcome ! Most do not.

Bas
18th February 2003, 07:59 PM
I didn't think it was any big deal at first but then I remembered the Carlton clash last year when Newsradio did the Port game instead on the night.