PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Disposal

Shaun
13th July 2008, 10:14 PM
Can you enlighten me as to what constitutes an incorrect disposal off the boot? A couple of times in the game today a player was penalised when being tackled when in posession but still manged to get the ball onto the boot. I realise they weren't proper kicks, but I would have thought that as long as the boot makes contact with the ball, then the disposal should be deemed to be legitimate?

Is it up to the umpire to judge on the 'level' of contact?

DeadlyAkkuret
13th July 2008, 10:20 PM
I think it's more about rewarding the tackle (or players they like). IMO if it hits the boot at all before it touches the ground, that's a kick.

NMWBloods
13th July 2008, 10:22 PM
They talked about this on the radio a bit, specifically on the occasion when Jack was run down by Rioli. One of the commentators (Darcy I think) was livid as he said Jack had managed to get the boot to ball when tackled. However, another commentator said that during the week Goldspink had said that they way it is usually umpired is that if a player has had a lot of time to get rid of it then he is pinged when tackled unless he makes a reasonable disposal. That's pretty much what we see most of the time.

hot potato
13th July 2008, 10:22 PM
It would depend how long the player takes to get it onto his boot. If the ump thinks he's been tackled effectively and long enough he will still be penalised.

swansrule100
13th July 2008, 10:26 PM
i noticed a lot of hawks players will drop the ball just before they are tackled and put their arms out trying to draw holding the man or in the back etc.

Glenn
13th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Was frustrating to see a Hawks player just drop the ball rather than attempt a disposal, and no call from the green maggots. :mad:

goswannie14
13th July 2008, 10:45 PM
Was frustrating to see a Hawks player just drop the ball rather than attempt a disposal, and no call from the green maggots. :mad:
That happened on numerous occasions, and most times the hawks got the free kick.

JF_Bay22_SCG
13th July 2008, 10:46 PM
I think it's more about rewarding the tackle (or players they like). IMO if it hits the boot at all before it touches the ground, that's a kick.

This was the thing that drove me nuts today. We'd get pinged for HTB when we managed to even get a scrubber kick away. And Buddy would drop it when tackled & they'd play on.:rolleyes: :mad:

The best games are ones where the umps just put the whistle away & make you earn your frees. But when dropping the ball, which in my days of junior footy was 100% tantamount to holding the ball, goes unpunished, you seriously start to worry about the way footy is becoming.

JF

Glenn
13th July 2008, 10:47 PM
Supposedly hanging on to long, but decidely one sided in that regard..:rolleyes:

NMWBloods
13th July 2008, 10:58 PM
Buddy was pinged for dropping the ball once or twice.

ScottH
13th July 2008, 11:01 PM

At least twice.

Mitchell dropped the ball late in the 4th qtr and was rewarded with a free.

Glenn
13th July 2008, 11:06 PM

Still several others that were let go in that regard.

ugg
13th July 2008, 11:14 PM
I thought we were lucky ourselves a few times. I particularly recall one Craig Bolton incident in the 2nd quarter where he was tackled and dropped it.

Glenn
13th July 2008, 11:54 PM
Calls/non-calls go both ways, that is the frustrating thing seeing one thing called at one end, and in the next passage of play same thing no whistle.