PDA

View Full Version : Davis and Roos: A Happy Ending.

Bloody Hell
14th July 2008, 08:15 AM
Surprised there isn't a Davis thread on the main board - so here it is!:D

You know what the difference is?

Yes Nathan Brown doesn't chase, but when the ball is in his area he will move to the contest and once there get involved to win the ball.

Davis on the otherhand is too happy to trot over stand to the side of the contest and call for the ball.

Go back to the 2005 SF, what made Davis a great player in that quarter is that got to the contest and then wanted the ball.

Until he rediscovers this type of attribue he won't play senior football.

I hope he does, becuase we are a far better side with him in it doing what he should be doing.

DST
:D
100% agree with this, though this cannot be done by Nick Davis.

Roos has to express regret for the way things have panned out and let Nick know, in front of the other players, that he is to start and play in the forward 50 and along with Micky O - is to take the game by the throat and do everything in his power to win it for the Swans. (I don't expect this to happen).

He is a confidence player. If he was recalled to the seniors - it would be as a last resort, seemingly without the confidence of the coach.

No player would play well under those conditions, least of all Nick Davis.

Everyone at the Swans seems be be toeing the line of "the ball is in Davis' court." I don't believe this to be the case. The next move is with Roos.

Whatever bug he has up his arse with regard to Davis, I hope he gets over quickly. He is an above average player - I would hate to see him at another club.

I am a fan of Davis and Roos. This situation is a debacle. Nick Davis is in the best 22 at our club.

The situation looks like it will end Davis' time at our club....and his club.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road it was a factor in ending Roos' time at the club as well.

connolly
14th July 2008, 09:46 AM
Surprised there isn't a Davis thread on the main board - so here it is!:D

100% agree with this, though this cannot be done by Nick Davis.

Roos has to express regret for the way things have panned out and let Nick know, in front of the other players, that he is to start and play in the forward 50 and along with Micky O - is to take the game by the throat and do everything in his power to win it for the Swans. (I don't expect this to happen).

He is a confidence player. If he was recalled to the seniors - it would be as a last resort, seemingly without the confidence of the coach.

No player would play well under those conditions, least of all Nick Davis.

Everyone at the Swans seems be be toeing the line of "the ball is in Davis' court." I don't believe this to be the case. The next move is with Roos.

Whatever bug he has up his arse with regard to Davis, I hope he gets over quickly. He is an above average player - I would hate to see him at another club.

I am a fan of Davis and Roos. This situation is a debacle. Nick Davis is in the best 22 at our club.

The situation looks like it will end Davis' time at our club....and his club.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road it was a factor in ending Roos' time at the club as well.

Once again its the coaches fault! So the career of a premiership coach is in jeopardy because a diffident soft player dining out on one amazing quarter three years ago fails to apply discipline and focus to his game and is discarded. Right. This is what happens to premiership coaches, doesn't it? Roos outstanding performance as a coach will be forever tarnished as is Malthouse because they apparently couldn't get the best out of the boy genius. Mate take a cold shower.

hammo
14th July 2008, 09:56 AM
Once again its the coaches fault! So the career of a premiership coach is in jeopardy because a diffident soft player dining out on one amazing quarter three years ago fails to apply discipline and focus to his game and is discarded. Right. This is what happens to premiership coaches, doesn't it? Roos outstanding performance as a coach will be forever tarnished as is Malthouse because they apparently couldn't get the best out of the boy genius. Mate take a cold shower.

Just as Roos gets praised for the 'no one individual is bigger than the team' approach, so too should he be criticised for his arrogance in refusing to select a player who is clearly inside the best 22.

His comments after yesterday's game that our forward line was "potent" were laughable. And as NMWBloods has pointed out elsewhere, his using of the forward line to hide injured or out of form players (Kennelly, LRT) hardly increases the potency of our forward line.

I said elsewhere that without Hall and Davis, our forward line is one of the weakest in the competition and there is nothing I saw yesterday to change that view. I don't know what game Roos was watching.

connolly
14th July 2008, 10:09 AM
Just as Roos gets praised for the 'no one individual is bigger than the team' approach, so too should he be criticised for his arrogance in refusing to select a player who is clearly inside the best 22.

His comments after yesterday's game that our forward line was "potent" were laughable. And as NMWBloods has pointed out elsewhere, his using of the forward line to hide injured or out of form players (Kennelly, LRT) hardly increases the potency of our forward line.

I said elsewhere that without Hall and Davis, our forward line is one of the weakest in the competition and there is nothing I saw yesterday to change that view. I don't know what game Roos was watching.

Our problem is in the midfield and too much is placed on the half back runners to keep the joint ticking. Malthouse has proved that if our half backs are closed down our mids are simply unable to generate enough penetration and quality ball to set up winning scores. We have never recovered from the loss of Williams and desperately need a very quick and very long kick in the midfield. This is not Davo. Maybe with a fit Fossie back we can at least get some run going. With Bevo put right in the midfield stoppage mix (tough, good hands and tremendous tackler) and Goodsey standing off the pack instead of trying to run through them we might get some more thrust.

ROK Lobster
14th July 2008, 10:27 AM
We have never recovered from the loss of Williams and desperately need a very quick and very long kick in the midfield.

With Bevo put right in the midfield stoppage mix (tough, good hands and tremendous tackler)

How does this make sense?

Frog
14th July 2008, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't want someone sitting in the cubicle next to me waiting for someone to give him/her something to do. There is plenty of work to be done and no matter what industry you are in, you know what is expected of you - if you know your job. If not, I expect my boss to deal with it. I would be pissed off with my boss if he didn't.

Davo is clearly not in our best 22. If Roos doesn't leave him out until he is prepared to pull his weight and do what he was hired for, I'll be pissed off with Roos.

hammo
14th July 2008, 10:30 AM
Our problem is in the midfield and too much is placed on the half back runners to keep the joint ticking. Malthouse has proved that if our half backs are closed down our mids are simply unable to generate enough penetration and quality ball to set up winning scores. We have never recovered from the loss of Williams and desperately need a very quick and very long kick in the midfield. This is not Davo. Maybe with a fit Fossie back we can at least get some run going. With Bevo put right in the midfield stoppage mix (tough, good hands and tremendous tackler) and Goodsey standing off the pack instead of trying to run through them we might get some more thrust.

I agree with what you say about Williams and the general problem being with the midfield. I do think we've missed Fosdike's contributions this season as he's a very underrated player for us.

You have put words in my mouth though because I have never suggested Davis be brought back to play a midfield role. My point is that when we were forward yesterday we didn't look dangerous as at all, whereas the Hawks looked like they would score from every entry inside 50.

I'm not against Bevan moving into the midfield but I think we need our most skilful players there, not necessarily our hardest nuts. In saying that I was very impressed with bevo's general play yesterday in particular his kicking.

stellation
14th July 2008, 10:32 AM
Dashing another person's post as starstruck fandom then promptly making your own post about Bevan seems a tad rich.

ROK Lobster
14th July 2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't want someone sitting in the cubicle next to me waiting for someone to give him/her something to do. There is plenty of work to be done and no matter what industry you are in, you know what is expected of you - if you know your job. If not, I expect my boss to deal with it. I would be pissed off with my boss if he didn't.

Davo is clearly not in our best 22. If Roos doesn't leave him out until he is prepared to pull his weight and do what he was hired for, I'll be pissed off with Roos.
And yet he last game he played, Luke Darcy (I think that is who is was - and it might have been the Cats game) was commenting that Davis had showed real endeavour and that the club should be pleased with his efforts. It is hard to tell on TV but even though I did not think that Davo was brilliant last time out, I don't think he was not having a go.

goswannie14
14th July 2008, 10:40 AM
Congratulations connolly, you have once again hijacked a thread about Nick Davis to make it about Paul Bevan.:rolleyes:

Please keep threads on topic.

I agree with the original premise, that it is up to the coach (as the leader or boss of the team) to ensure relationships are right with the employees. When I am in that situation that is what is expected from me.

I also agree with Frog, that if someone is not doing their job they should be corrected, in this case by the coach. However, the coach cannot keep saying "the ball is in Davo's court", it is Roos responsibilty to ensure that things are right with Nick Davis, Roos has already failed his responsibility with Barry Hall he looks to be doing the same with Davis.

I am a fan of Roos, but I believe he is starting to fail with his responsibilities as the leader of the playing group at the club. It may well be that, as he has said, he is not a career coach, and his mind is elsewhere at the moment. I don't know what the real answer is, I'm as confused about it as everyone else here.

stellation
14th July 2008, 10:43 AM

I guess it just depends on what that person was hired to do.

connolly
14th July 2008, 10:43 AM
How does this make sense?

We need someone to help Kirky get the bloody thing out of the breakdown. Bevo is tough enough and has good clean handling to do it. We shouldn't use Goodsey as a front end loader in the packs ( 195 plus and a 100 k does damage but will keep him on the sidelines courtesy of the judiciary) but have him play as a runner off the fringes (where he won a brownlow) This might help until the Vez or someone emerges as the explosive skilfull quick midfielder that Willo was and we have never replaced.

ROK Lobster
14th July 2008, 10:44 AM
My question is: What goes on in the toilets where you work Frog?

connolly
14th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Congratulations connolly, you have once again hijacked a thread about Nick Davis to make it about Paul Bevan.:rolleyes:

Please keep threads on topic.

Well i'm not confused. The original post attacked Roos as a coach. I defended his record and suggested a modest solution to our problem of not kicking winning scores. Perhaps we should ask the Pope to beatify our little martyr - arise St Nick?

ScottH
14th July 2008, 10:53 AM
I guess it just depends on what that person was hired to do.Hopefully as much as you do!!

My question is: What goes on in the toilets where you work Frog? Who ever is in th next cubicle, they are obviously not pulling their weight!! :eek:

NMWBloods
14th July 2008, 11:04 AM
I still have to wonder how people like LRT keep getting a game and Davis not.

Industrial Fan
14th July 2008, 11:11 AM
Roos has already failed his responsibility with Barry HallCan you explain this one to me please?

goswannie14
14th July 2008, 11:19 AM
Can you explain this one to me please?
Yep, I was basing it on the premise that Roos, as coach should have known whether Baz was in the right frame of mind after the Staker "brain snap" to resume playing. It appears (with my advantage of hindsight) that he wasn't. If a player isn't ready to play, then that comes back to the coach if the player isn't ready.

Admittedly the coach depends on the advice of others, but the buck stops (in a football club) with the coach. Roos, in this case, should then pass on the foot up the bum to the person who's advice it was that he depended on, just like in any normal workplace.

hammo
14th July 2008, 11:25 AM

If Davis was the only one in the 22 "not doing his job" then you would have a point but the fact is half the side is not performing at the moment, whether its stopping their opponent or being able to kick straight / hit targets.

Industrial Fan
14th July 2008, 11:34 AM
Yep, I was basing it on the premise that Roos, as coach should have known whether Baz was in the right frame of mind after the Staker "brain snap" to resume playing. It appears (with my advantage of hindsight) that he wasn't. If a player isn't ready to play, then that comes back to the coach if the player isn't ready.

Admittedly the coach depends on the advice of others, but the buck stops (in a football club) with the coach. Roos, in this case, should then pass on the foot up the bum to the person who's advice it was that he depended on, just like in any normal workplace.Baz had 7 weeks to think about his actions. Since he cant control himself, Roos has put his faith in their psychologist. What more could he do. I'm sure numerous other clubs would continue to play him, as he could be the difference between a win and a loss. In the end, Roos comes under scrutiny when we lose. If that's not taking responsibility, I'm not sure what is.

Also, how does this apply to Davis? If Roos says he's not ready, how do you condemn him as a result?

NMWBloods
14th July 2008, 11:38 AM
You have to wonder what everyone's job is. Someone needs to have a job to kick goals - without goals you can't win. Seems to be a problem of ours. Davis' was able to kick goals, but it seems that wasn't his job. If his job also includes tackling and defensive pressure (not to mention disposal) then I think questions need to be asked of Ablett, Buchanan, LRT. Davis can certainly do more but there's no doubt he's been treated differently to others (eg: no premiership credits for him but there were for others; criticised for speaking to media but no problem for Hall to do so).

goswannie14
14th July 2008, 11:44 AM
Also, how does this apply to Davis? If Roos says he's not ready, how do you condemn him as a result?I didn't condemn him, I said it was a two way street to get davo back in the team. That's not condemning him, it's offering an opinion based on years of dealing with people as a leader. Nothing more, nothing less.

SimonH
14th July 2008, 11:51 AM
People are getting so hot & bothered arguing back and forth speculating about Nick Davis and his interrelationships with Roos and the Swans hierarchy, that they haven't noticed he got injured on the weekend.

See the 2nds thread.

Would be rather inconsiderate of him if he were unavailable to play, thereby depriving RWO of up to 50% of its weekly posts.

connolly
14th July 2008, 11:56 AM
People are getting so hot & bothered arguing back and forth speculating about Nick Davis and his interrelationships with Roos and the Swans hierarchy, that they haven't noticed he got injured on the weekend.

See the 2nds thread.

Would be rather inconsiderate of him if he were unavailable to play, thereby depriving RWO of up to 50% of its weekly posts.

Sounds like the champ had a brain snap followed by a knee snap! Physio and psych treatment required. Seriously though rotten luck and hope its not career ending. If he has to go it shouldn't be like this.

ROK Lobster
14th July 2008, 12:07 PM

See the 2nds thread.

Would be rather inconsiderate of him if he were unavailable to play, thereby depriving RWO of up to 50% of its weekly posts.Dare I say, Davo on one leg is better than most of the 22 atm. There, it's been said, we can all move on.

swansrule100
14th July 2008, 01:03 PM
id just like to see how roos measures the performance of each player

id like to apply for a job with requirements similar to playfair or lrts, because they are not expected to do much.

Bloody Hell
15th July 2008, 05:38 AM
Well i'm not confused. The original post attacked Roos as a coach. I defended his record and suggested a modest solution to our problem of not kicking winning scores. Perhaps we should ask the Pope to beatify our little martyr - arise St Nick?

So the coach isn't responsible for the mindset of the players - particularly when he continually hangs them out to dry in the media? - This was the only criticism I had.

Bloody Hell
15th July 2008, 05:45 AM

See the 2nds thread.

Because it is much more about the coach - then it's about Davis.

He seems to have set a moral standard that only His Holiness the Kirk (not meant as an insult - he is a man of high moral fibre) - can live up to.

Davis seems to be the first to fall, then Hall...twice, Goodes. Of course the latter two are superstars, part of the leadership group etc

I'm reminded of the Blood Brothers thread.

Is he asking too much of the footballers?

swantastic
15th July 2008, 07:37 AM
Who ever is in th next cubicle, they are obviously not pulling their weight!! :eek:LOL..Their just getting rid of excess weight.

ash3
15th July 2008, 09:58 AM
The Herald Sun reports this morning that Nick Davis dislocated his knee on the weekend, and is out for the season.