PDA

View Full Version : The consistency of the AFL tribunal.

goswannie14
29th July 2008, 11:56 AM
In the last few weeks there have been some strange decisions made by the tribunal. Look at three examples.

St Kilda's Justin Kozschitzke (I don't know how to spell it), suspended for 1 week for a jumper punch.

Collingwood's Alan Didak is cleared of a similar charge because the force was
below that required to constitute a report.. An earlier article described the punch as
a pushing motion rather than a strike and the impact was below that required to be a reportable offence.

If Didaks charge was thrown out for that, how was Bazza suspended when his "punch" had no force at all because he didn't even make contact? Surely no contact is insufficient force to constitute a report.:rolleyes:

ScottH
29th July 2008, 12:14 PM
Didak's didn't look good. I thought he'd get at least a week.

Soft decision.

CureTheSane
29th July 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know how to spell it

It was always going to be underlined in red when you types it :)

Triple B
29th July 2008, 12:28 PM
Let me preface by quoting myself on the 'Players we love to hate thread' some months back.....

Pies - No contest. That little @@@@ Didak. Always getting in other players faces when the umps are 3 metres away. Likes to mouth off when in no danger of retalliation happening. Loved when Fevola came thru and cleaned him up when he started mouthing off to Murphy which led to the melee the other week. That's his style, Made sure he had about 10 teammates around him when he decided to get involved and have a say.
Other players hate him as well. He has the heart the size of a @@@@ing carraway seed and they all know it.

It's fair to say my position hasn't changed, I hate the little @@@@ with a passion.

That said, Didak didn't punch Slattery, he hit him with the palm of his hand, no knuckles involved at all. It's splitting hairs for sure, but it may explain how the MRP could come up with a 'no case to answer' a week after giving Kosi a week for what on the surface looked an identical offence, but in truth, Kosi's was a full on punch, Didak's was a high forceful push.

BeeEmmAre
29th July 2008, 12:58 PM
If Didaks charge was thrown out for that, how was Bazza suspended when his "punch" had no force at all because he didn't even make contact? Surely no contact is insufficient force to constitute a report.:rolleyes:

Because he's Bazza.

ScottH
29th July 2008, 01:27 PM
Let me preface by quoting myself on the 'Players we love to hate thread' some months back.....

It's fair to say my position hasn't changed, I hate the little @@@@ with a passion.

That said, Didak didn't punch Slattery, he hit him with the palm of his hand, no knuckles involved at all. It's splitting hairs for sure, but it may explain how the MRP could come up with a 'no case to answer' a week after giving Kosi a week for what on the surface looked an identical offence, but in truth, Kosi's was a full on punch, Didak's was a high forceful push.

As GS14 said, Hall didn't punch Wakelin either, but he got a week, and the force of impact look as good as a punch.

BSA5
29th July 2008, 11:55 PM
Hall's attempted strike on Wakelin was far more forceful than Didak's jumper punch. Just because Hall missed doesn't mean there was any less force in the strike.

Think of it this way. What is worse? Attempting to murder somebody, and failing? Or attempting to hit somebody, and succeeding?

Lohengrin
30th July 2008, 12:05 AM
There was some suggestion that Wakelin had a black eye on the Sunday as Hall had actually made contact.

573v30
30th July 2008, 12:47 AM
There was some suggestion that Wakelin had a black eye on the Sunday as Hall had actually made contact.

Probably makeup to go with the dive. Should win an Oscar.

ScottH
30th July 2008, 07:19 AM
Hall's attempted strike on Wakelin was far more forceful than Didak's jumper punch. Just because Hall missed doesn't mean there was any less force in the strike.

Think of it this way. What is worse? Attempting to murder somebody, and failing? Or attempting to hit somebody, and succeeding?For sure if Hall had of connected, it would have deserved more than the one week that he got, probably 4. The point is that Didak did connect, as the head going back shows, and to be let off is saying that this type of action is OK.

I only heard that from the public, on talk back or in media comments. Not sure how much truth was in it. If it did bruise, it was probably from face planting the ground. ;)

Probably makeup to go with the dive. Should win an Oscar.
:D