PDA

View Full Version : Crouch 08 - Yes or No....

reigning premier
5th August 2008, 01:55 PM
Hasn't rated much of a mention around these parts which is quite surprising.

Based on his performance on Sunday, what does everyone reckon? Yes or No?

Yes, he did enough and even showed a bit....

No, he's gone and Moore (Insert another name here if you like) is a better option...

For mine, Yes. He showed enough. Looked good out there and thought he delivered into our F50 beautifully on more than a cple of occassions. It was great to see him run and carry through the centre and kick with penetration to the advantage of our fwds. Like the Crouch of old. Glad to see him back.

Swanner
5th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Yep definitley in if he maintains sundays form

CureTheSane
5th August 2008, 02:02 PM
For a first game back it was pretty good.
Provided a lot of run and more importantly he provided some spirit.
Good to see him back.

Karma doesn't like him though, all those back to back games didn't go unpunished.

AnnieH
5th August 2008, 02:05 PM
Like I've said elsewhere, I almost didn't recognise Crouchy he's so god damn fit and buff (OMG!!).

I reckon if Crouchy wants to play next year, management shouldn't stop him. Like Micky, maybe the time off nursing his injuries will give him an extra year (or two) before retiring??

Plugger46
5th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Had a good 3rd qtr. Did enough to warrant a game against Fremantle.

doctor swan
5th August 2008, 02:30 PM
id say if he can keep that form going for another 4 rounds and hopefully some finals games , then id say yes.

31 hard at it
5th August 2008, 02:34 PM
His run was great.
It was missing from other injured players.

I think the time off may have allowed him to get back to his potential.
Loking forward to the next few weeks. Hopefully he adds the extra drive around the ground + the shut down role.

Captain
5th August 2008, 02:49 PM
Definitely

Still has a lot of pace which we lack big time. Looked faster then most out there.

Also is a decent user of the footy.

cruiser
5th August 2008, 02:51 PM
If he keeps playing like he did on Sunday then I hope he keeps his place in the team.

Dogzbody
5th August 2008, 02:54 PM
Absolutely.

Given he is the quickest in the club, and hes an old school get the ball in direct sort of footballer, which will be good for our young guns development over the next year.

Go Crouchy!

Jewels
5th August 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm voting NO.

He was terrific on Sunday, his run and delivery were something we have been lacking and as someone else on here pointed out, he's been injured and out of the team for so long I had forgotten how good he was

BUT

I don't think his body will hold out for another full season and with the draft restrictions applicable after this year, we need as much space as possible. I would hate to see an O'Dwyer or Smith or any of our young boys delisted in favour of a player with question marks hanging over his body, only to find that by round 5 or 6 next season he has to retire because his body is past it..
I would love to see Crouchy play out the rest of this season in the way he played on Sunday and then retire. With grace, dignity and on top - in the fashion that a player of his standing deserves.

hammo
5th August 2008, 03:08 PM
Just as the club isn't going to make a decision after 1 match back, nor should anyone else.

If Crouch comes out at tears a hamstring next round he's probably gone.

Not sure why you nominated Moore. They play totally different roles :confused:

NMWBloods
5th August 2008, 03:17 PM
I think Crouch should be a week-by-week proposition, both for form and for injuries. Hopefully they keep him in if contributing and don't hesitate to drop him if not.

AnnieH
5th August 2008, 03:18 PM
Absolutely.

Given he is the quickest in the club, and hes an old school get the ball in direct sort of footballer, which will be good for our young guns development over the next year.

Go Crouchy!

... so old school in that more than a few times he set up blatent stoppages (i.e. smashed the ball over the boundary to save our butts) and was pinged only once for "deliberately" doing it. If the umpires knew better, he should have been pinged each time.

Class.

Dogzbody
5th August 2008, 04:15 PM
... so old school in that more than a few times he set up blatent stoppages (i.e. smashed the ball over the boundary to save our butts) and was pinged only once for "deliberately" doing it. If the umpires knew better, he should have been pinged each time.

Class.

That too Annie. :)

Rod_
5th August 2008, 04:19 PM
YES

Heart and Soul a Swan, will give, till you can give no more.

Play him if he is in our best 22 (a big IF - best 22)

On what I saw on Sunday did a lot of things good enough for another game. Given the injury front we have at the moment.

Hope he is not running on memory... Wouldn't like to loose a young up coming player though....

He could have 3 years if the body has recovered and as such worth it!

Rod_

Ludwig
5th August 2008, 04:51 PM
Definitely Yes!

Crouch is more than a year younger than Kirk, and no one has suggested that Kirk retires next year. Crouch was in career best form a few years back before injuries started taking their toll. But he has shown that he is super professional and dedicated to his footy. Always gives 100% and can be up with the fittest players on the team. With a bit of luck, I don't see any reason why Crouch would not be a top notch player for a few more years.

There have been a number of players that have come back from long term injuries successfully. For one, Nathan Brown, who is one month older than Crouch and is playing some excellent footy this year. No one suggesting that he retires either.

Crouch is a clever player and loves to move the ball forward quickly. May not be the best kick around, but doesn't hesitate to kick it up the guts when under pressure, and I think that's a good thing.

ShockOfHair
5th August 2008, 05:07 PM
With our current injury list, shouldn't be hard for Crouchie to get a game in next few weeks, especially as he's one of the few able to give us some run through centre. Depends on how his body's holding up, but if he's fit, I'd expect him to be in the As. Good to see him back in the side.

Hartijon
5th August 2008, 06:00 PM
Great debut after so much injury time out.He knows what to do and goes the shortest way down the middle and actually gives our forwards the advantage of a quick ball before flooding comes. I was thinking on the weekend we may have underestimated his loss for so long. He is a lot better than Ablett ,Buchanan and Fosdike. Great to have him back!

5th August 2008, 06:58 PM
Way to early to say.

Great comeback on Sunday , loved his penetrating kicks into space for our forwards to run onto. Honestly thought he was gone.
Older bodies though dont hold up as well as younger ones, though Crouchy did and obviously has the ability to look after himself.

Maybe the Pope has performed a miracle !!

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2008, 08:43 PM
Yep.

jenky28
5th August 2008, 09:30 PM
YES from me definately YeS

BSA5
5th August 2008, 09:31 PM
Watching him on Sunday at Manuka, I had flashbacks of a few years back. He was quick, he used the ball well, and kept a cool head all day. His maturity and decision making down back really stood out for me. Needless to say, it was a big surprise. On that performance, he deserves another game. As NMWBloods said, he should probably be a week-by-week proposition. If he has a couple of bad games in a row, they shouldn't hesitate to drop him, but otherwise, what he provides should keep him in.

DeadlyAkkuret
5th August 2008, 09:35 PM
I'd have him in the side over an Ablett, Buchanan or Mathews any day.

Seagoon
5th August 2008, 09:48 PM
I thought he did well. I like Moore too though.

bandwagon
5th August 2008, 10:14 PM
Happy to have him in the team - but definitely a week-by-week proposition.

reigning premier
5th August 2008, 10:17 PM
No issues with Moore either.... Love his work! But if Moore is to come in, someone has to go out was the point I was making and hence why I said, insert name here.

swantastic
5th August 2008, 10:22 PM
YES from me definately YESGee what a surprise ;) :D

He was pretty good and was a lot better than i thought he would be.

Well done Crouchy.:D

BTW jenky have you discarded Crouchy's number from your gurnsey in favour of Brennans?

hot potato
5th August 2008, 10:42 PM
Have been looking forward to Crouchy's return for ages and had no doubt he would not dissapoint.
There are a few lethargic thinkers in the Swans, Crouchy will speed em up a bit.
There are a lot of players who are week-to-week propositions, who run hot and then cold. Crouch is a consistent player.
Great to see him back.

SassySwan
6th August 2008, 02:37 AM
Was a bit disappointed I didn't go when I saw Crouchy in the line up, but far too hungover and cold!!
Crouch embodies the bloods ethos. He's hard at the ball, never gives up and plays the game with the highest integrity.
He was great on Sunday, fast and played through the corridor. Direct and low into Bazza, hitting him on the chest- just where he likes it.
He is definately a week to week, but if he's fit PLEASE PICK HIM!!
Apart from this.. he's a great bloke! Good to see you back mate.

ScottH
6th August 2008, 07:41 AM
Except for his 1st disposal, that I noticed, (missed it's target), he looked like he hadn't missed a game. Love seeing him streaming though the middle of the ground.
I think we really have missed that dash of his.

BloodsInMyVeins
6th August 2008, 08:00 AM
Crouchy In LRT Out!!!:D :D :D

ScottH
6th August 2008, 08:33 AM
Crouchy In LRT Out!!!:D :D :D

LRT was quite good on Sunday. Not sure why people are so keen to see the back of him.

Industrial Fan
6th August 2008, 10:32 AM
LRT was quite good on Sunday. Not sure why people are so keen to see the back of him.There was an old bloke behind me on Sunday that kept abusing him - you are useless LRT.... even when he was nowhere near the ball. Not sure if his vision was ok, but I think he may have confused him for B2. Not even watching the game, just abused him whenever they had an inside 50.

I thought he played ok on the weekend.

Dogzbody
6th August 2008, 11:50 AM
Was a bit disappointed I didn't go when I saw Crouchy in the line up, but far too hungover and cold!!
Crouch embodies the bloods ethos. He's hard at the ball, never gives up and plays the game with the highest integrity.
He was great on Sunday, fast and played through the corridor. Direct and low into Bazza, hitting him on the chest- just where he likes it.
He is definately a week to week, but if he's fit PLEASE PICK HIM!!
Apart from this.. he's a great bloke! Good to see you back mate.

Hopefully this week hitting Bazza on the chest means it will stick on Bazzas chest. He started looking better 2nd half last week.

Im going to Syd for the haze game this week, hopefully a bit of:

" Jolly perfect tap down to Kirk...handballs to Crouch who takes of like a dog shot in the @@@@ down the middle....spearing kick inside 50 and hits HAAAALLLLL 35m out dead in front......GOAL!!!" :D :D :D

hammo
6th August 2008, 12:02 PM
There was an old bloke behind me on Sunday that kept abusing him - you are useless LRT.... even when he was nowhere near the ball. Not sure if his vision was ok, but I think he may have confused him for B2. Not even watching the game, just abused him whenever they had an inside 50.

I thought he played ok on the weekend.
With LRT, it depends what the expectations are. Personally, I'm sick of comments like 'he always tries hard', 'he played OK'.

Unfortunately for LRT, he was recruited to play a key defensive role and he doesn't seem to be good enough to do it. On the weekend he was playing as a loose man in defence, so you'd expect he'd do OK.

The other disappointing aspect with LRT is that he isn't a naturally attacking player. In the modern game you need players who move the ball quickly from the backline, so for mine, LRT playing alongside Kennelly and Malceski doesn't work. Also, opposing teams know to drag him back to the goal square where he is a liability for us. Therefore, I can't see a role for him.

LRT will never be the great attacking centre half back we need. I even look at a player like Jarred Waite, who I've never really rated, and he offers so much more to the Carlton line-up than LRT ever will to the Swans.

As far as Crouch goes, we should temper the excitement. Let's see if he can do it two weeks in a row. It was refreshing to see him play an attacking role though, rather than as a tagger.

TheHood
6th August 2008, 03:21 PM
The way we're travelling, Crouchy is likely to be our one elite midfielder by Round 22!

jenky28
6th August 2008, 04:27 PM
Gee what a surprise ;) :D

BTW jenky have you discarded Crouchy's number from your gurnsey in favour of Brennans?

WHAT THE??
WHERE DID U HEAR THAT?
I DO LOV BRENNAN AS WELL.

Margie
6th August 2008, 05:01 PM
Watching Crouch on Sunday was a reminder of how we missed his and Fosdike's experience. Hopefully he can remain fit and help us through to the finals. He's still young enough, as is Fosdike.

royboy42
6th August 2008, 05:05 PM
Great debut after so much injury time out.He knows what to do and goes the shortest way down the middle and actually gives our forwards the advantage of a quick ball before flooding comes. I was thinking on the weekend we may have underestimated his loss for so long. He is a lot better than Ablett ,Buchanan and Fosdike. Great to have him back!

I'm with you hartijon.

Cheer Squad mbr
6th August 2008, 05:11 PM
O'Dwyer would have been better than Crouchy last Sunday.

gossipcom
6th August 2008, 05:32 PM
Crouchy played well for his first seniors match back. Now if only Roos would let Fossie break into the team. *sigh*

BloodsInMyVeins
6th August 2008, 07:11 PM
LRT was quite good on Sunday. Not sure why people are so keen to see the back of him.

All i can say is LRT played reasonably well on Sunday, but when he is playing bad (which is most of the time) he is really bad & costs us dearly.

You have to stop the other team scoring before you can win a game of Footy & with LRT in the Back line he would be 1 of our weaker links.

I know the Swans have better back men that can fill he's spot that's all.

voodooguru
6th August 2008, 08:01 PM
Before he finally succumbed to the 3012 injuries he was carrying, I was really looking forward to an evolved role for Crouch. Back at the start of the 07 season I was hoping that JC's run-with role would be delegated to a newish, young midfielder - and he could be given more freedom to utilise his pace, nous, toughness and long kick into 50.

With the likes of the Bevan, Jack and Bird in the side now, if he continues to play well we could see the Crouch I was looking for in 07 - in 09.
:eek:

ROK Lobster
6th August 2008, 09:01 PM
No. I thought he was good on Sunday, but not good enough. He is the past. Time for some new blood.

i'm-uninformed2
6th August 2008, 09:24 PM
Do we know if he gave credit to the Lord for his mildly impressive comeback in any post-match interviews?

swantastic
6th August 2008, 09:59 PM
Do we know if he gave credit to the Lord for his mildly impressive comeback in any post-match interviews?Crouchy and the Lord have 1 thing in common,a great come back.

Darren Thomson
6th August 2008, 10:59 PM
Liked his dash as I always have. Strong tackler, penetrating, accurate kick, good decision maker, needs his fitness up to top level but has a year or two left in those legs barring hammy probs

voodooguru
7th August 2008, 12:37 AM
No. I thought he was good on Sunday, but not good enough. He is the past. Time for some new blood.Hes been out so long that he is new blood. You want to can his pace and excellent long kick? When Jason A. came forward in the second half, Crouchy covered him like pub bands cover AC/DC.

DeadlyAkkuret
7th August 2008, 02:26 AM
Hes been out so long that he is new blood. You want to can his pace and excellent long kick? When Jason A. came forward in the second half, Crouchy covered him like pub bands cover AC/DC.

Poorly?

smasher
7th August 2008, 06:33 AM
I was wrapped for Crouchy to see him have such a good game.I'm not so sure about the form of his opponent as word is that JA is out of form and will be rested this week.
All the same I think Crouchy could do a good job against opposition smalls.

NMWBloods
7th August 2008, 08:54 AM
Hes been out so long that he is new blood. You want to can his pace and excellent long kick? His kick is neither long nor excellent. What distinguishes it is his choice to kick it longer than the normal short chips.

johnno
7th August 2008, 09:54 AM
If they drop Crouch after his game on the weekend, then they have lost the plot at the selection table.

Industrial Fan
7th August 2008, 09:55 AM
We actually call him the chopper because all of his kicks are helicopters.

Accurate in the same way Kirk is.

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 12:44 PM
Hes been out so long that he is new blood. You want to can his pace and excellent long kick? When Jason A. came forward in the second half, Crouchy covered him like pub bands cover AC/DC.

I concur.... Aker is a bit out of form over the past few weeks and god knows why Rodney was playing him in the back pocket I'll never know. But when Crouch did go to Aker.... Crouchy towelled him up... IMHO.

jenky28
9th August 2008, 10:43 PM
My man was great again tonight. Loved him marching his own 50 infront of the ump. Should have got 100!
Surely he deserves another game nxt week

dimelb
9th August 2008, 11:01 PM
Definitely among our better players tonight - steady, solid mopping up, good tackling, penetrating kick. We've missed a fit Crouch.

Ajn
9th August 2008, 11:18 PM
a yes for me, adds to our side as a good back up.
Not the future but adds more than a Matthews as a "run with"

31 hard at it
9th August 2008, 11:33 PM
Provided a real highlight with that run beside the umpir for the 50 ... deserved another 50 !
It was the energy he showed when the side needed momentum.
A leader in that area tonight.
If he stays fit he will get better every game.

Great game

573v30
9th August 2008, 11:38 PM
It's a yes from me.

Bob Neil
9th August 2008, 11:41 PM
My man was great again tonight. Loved him marching his own 50 infront of the ump. Should have got 100!

The winning play, without a doubt. Laughed every meter.

jenky28
9th August 2008, 11:44 PM
Thats my Jared for you a total crack up! I was just thinking omg is it 50 thats how quick he took off. Pointed the finger and was on his way. That certainly cheered me up since i am crook as!

reigning premier
10th August 2008, 12:43 AM
His kick is neither long nor excellent. What distinguishes it is his choice to kick it longer than the normal short chips.

thought his delivery was excellent tonight.... But feel free to make a goose of yourself.... :p

Seagoon
10th August 2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah I thought that should have been 100 too - he appeared to get tackled half way to the first 50 - what happened there? Or maybe someone has answered that already in this thread - ill check after I hit post...

reigning premier
10th August 2008, 01:12 AM
ill check after I hit post...

LOL.....

No definitive answer...

100 should of been the call...

Jewels
10th August 2008, 01:43 AM
LOL.....

No definitive answer...

100 should of been the call...

Those umpires were not going to give us any favours tonight, deserved or otherwise :mad:

Should have been 100 in my opinion.

DeadlyAkkuret
10th August 2008, 02:28 AM
After Goodes' 8 goals and Bevo's game saving mark, Crouch running the 50 with the umpire and pointing the way was the highlight.

Goal Sneak
10th August 2008, 03:21 AM
Crouch running the 50 with the umpire and pointing the way was the highlight.

This is what it has come to. Surely we don't have to go to the lengths of telling the umps how to give us a free kick! Maybe we should tell them more often :D

Primmy
10th August 2008, 08:31 AM
Those umpires were not going to give us any favours tonight, deserved or otherwise :mad:

Should have been 100 in my opinion.

Perhaps the ump felt that Crouchy taking over the marching orders warranted a roll back on the 100 he deserved. "Try and take over my job boy, and I'll dock you 50".

We need him on a couple of levels. He is an old head amongst new ones and can marshall the play, show em how its done. On another level, the opposition is not expecting much of him, so he becomes a sneaky weapon. I enjoyed watching him last night. So its is a yes from me, to be reviewed at the end of the season.

ernie koala
10th August 2008, 12:15 PM
Watching the way Crouch is playing, ie ; If he gets possession with even a hint of space, off he goes, staight down the centre corridor. He set up plenty of attacking plays last night, it was pretty to watch...Going on his form since returning, he should definately play on next year.

giant
10th August 2008, 12:41 PM
Side definitely looks better with him in it - could turn out to be a big "in" for September. Plenty of time for the youngsters to get a chance.

Nico
10th August 2008, 01:29 PM
J Crouch stats. 18 possessions, 12 kicks 6 handballs.Effective % 61, 2 clearances and 5 clangers, 2 tackles. I don't know that he enhanced our defence to any degree because it had plenty of holes last night and not enough at the ball pressure. Too many easy spills and goals to Freo.

He played ok, probably serviceable is my best description. He did a couple of dashes throught he centre that were effective. He has come up better than I thought he would with minimal preparation.

royboy42
10th August 2008, 04:06 PM
100% more productive from half back than Matthews has been for two years.

GoBloods
10th August 2008, 04:16 PM
great to see crouchy back in the seniors.
i worried whether he would get back this year and also if we would retain him for 2009.
i think the last 2 weeks have shown that he still has value for the swans.
go crouchy

reigning premier
10th August 2008, 04:36 PM
J Crouch stats. 18 possessions, 12 kicks 6 handballs.Effective % 61, 2 clearances and 5 clangers, 2 tackles. I don't know that he enhanced our defence to any degree because it had plenty of holes last night and not enough at the ball pressure. Too many easy spills and goals to Freo.

He played ok, probably serviceable is my best description. He did a couple of dashes throught he centre that were effective. He has come up better than I thought he would with minimal preparation.

I remember this hack that used to play for Sydney back in the 90's.

Never used to get hardly any posessions. Abysmall stats. Used to wear the number 1. Had these big monster thigh pads. Useless.

At least he was, if you looked at the stats....

bigswan
10th August 2008, 04:55 PM
Did OK last night. He looks well. He should be in our side. He gives the side more run, good long disposal and experience. He can only get better.

bennyfrou
10th August 2008, 11:14 PM
The Crouchy of old is back - although was getting some sort of leg work done late in the game?? or did my eyes deceive me?

Go Swannies
11th August 2008, 01:58 PM
Crouch won us the game Sat night - or at least prevented a possibility of us losing it. In the dying seconds he kept finding space so he could receive the ball (esp from LRT) and so we held uncontested possession. Great to see vintage footy smarts in the crisis. And his running seems to be coming back, too. I'd forgotten how much Crouch and Willo used to straighten the team up and put us down the corridor with those great bursts.

Unlikely heroes in the first game I've been to in a month - Crouch, Bevan and B1 (who was inspired in the last quarter). What a game to see after flying back into Sydney on the red eye at 6am. I considered not going to the game but so very glad I did.

AnnieH
11th August 2008, 03:02 PM

... he took 75 - while he was chatting to the umpire, the umpire didn't notice!.

Agree, he should have got 100.

Once again, he only got pinged once for a deliberately out on purpose. They missed the other two!!

He's a gun. He's playing like a 20 year old.