PDA

View Full Version : Changes vs Freo - Official teams

hammo
7th August 2008, 11:58 AM
Potentially a lot of changes this week.

Goodes, Leo and Malceski (I'll believe it when he runs out) are apparently chances to play, and if fit I'd also expect Moore to come in as well. Crouch and hopefully Vesz have done enough to keep their spots.

Will Fossie finally come back in now that he's fit?

So who are the ones to drop out?

Brabazon, Brennan and White would be the three of the four most likely to go.

The players returning as well as a pretty ordinary Freo midfield seem to give some scope for Roos to go for a slightly more attacking line up which means Ablett could be surplus to requirements this week.

Captain
7th August 2008, 12:45 PM
I think Ablett should have a spell in the reserves, however think it would be highly unlikely that Roos will pick Vez ahead of him.

In: Goodes, Leo
Out: White, Brennan

RogueSwan
7th August 2008, 12:49 PM
The players returning as well as a pretty ordinary Freo midfield seem to give some scope for Roos to go for a slightly more attacking line up which means Ablett could be surplus to requirements this week.

Do you really think that would happen? ;)

hammo
7th August 2008, 01:16 PM
Do you really think that would happen? ;)

I live in hope

Plugger46
7th August 2008, 01:20 PM
Certainly not confident on Leo returning. I remember when he injured his hamstring last year, it took him a fair few weeks to get back. Obviously every situation is different but I wouldn't be surprised if the club give him another week.

Who knows with Malceski but if he's right, he'll come in.

In: Goodes, Moore, Malceski

Out: White, Brabazon, Grundy.

I'd be happy to see Grundy stay in the side if they play him as a forward. Really don't think he's a backman. I question his intensity too, always seems to be just 'cruising' around. When he has got the footy, he is never in a hurry to move it on.

ScottH
7th August 2008, 01:30 PM
When he has got the footy, he is never in a hurry to move it on.And that makes him different from the rest of the backline, how?? :p

Plugger46
7th August 2008, 01:37 PM
And that makes him different from the rest of the backline, how?? :p

:p Good one Scott.

He just seems happy to coast around doing the bare minimum. Maybe it's a confidence thing, I don't know. One thing's for sure, his intensity level in the back half isn't up to AFL standard at the moment.

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 02:06 PM
In: Goodes, Moore, Eski, Fosdike

Out: Ablett, Brabazon, Grundy, LRT

Danzar
7th August 2008, 02:44 PM

From a coaches perspective, LRT is such a dilemma. He's had a shocking year but I must say that over the past two or three rounds, he's stepped up his game.

Still not part of our best 22, but as a coach, dumping him to the reserves may actually reverse his improved form. Keeping him in the team may encourage him to continue improving.

Hard to say.

swansrule100
7th August 2008, 02:51 PM
:p Good one Scott.

He just seems happy to coast around doing the bare minimum. Maybe it's a confidence thing, I don't know. One thing's for sure, his intensity level in the back half isn't up to AFL standard at the moment.

i think he needs a set spot wether thats forward or back, he seems stuck in some sort of half back flank drifting role, which is not his thing.

If he is going to be in the back line id like to see him take a tall forward, see how he goes.

NMWBloods
7th August 2008, 02:52 PM
I really don't understand what LRT gives us. And the view that he's a developing player is problematic given that he's coming up to 100 games now.

His defensive performance in a key defensive role one-on-one is mixed, which is easy to observe in most games and also indicate by the constant shifts in his position around the ground.

He does an okay job defensively as a loose man, but there aren't too many players who don't. However, he's nowhere near as good as players who do that quite well, such as Richards.

As loose man (or as CHB) he should be given us a lot of run from defence. However, whenever he gets the ball he is hesitant, his disposal average at best, and rarely adds to our running game.

swansrule100
7th August 2008, 02:55 PM
I really don't understand what LRT gives us. And the view that he's a developing player is problematic given that he's coming up to 100 games now.

His defensive performance in a key defensive role one-on-one is mixed, which is easy to observe in most games and also indicate by the constant shifts in his position around the ground.

He does an okay job defensively as a loose man, but there aren't too many players who don't. However, he's nowhere near as good as players who do that quite well, such as Richards.

As loose man (or as CHB) he should be given us a lot of run from defence. However, whenever he gets the ball he is hesitant, his disposal average at best, and rarely adds to our running game.

he is frustrating, i cant remember too many occasions he goes to one of the key forwards this season and plays out the game. Then he is suddenly thrown on to franklin, which is not too fair.

I guess you could argue he had to play ruck and pinch hit etc. But if he had developed into the key backman we need Roos would never throw him into the ruck anyway.

I admire what he has done at afl level, considering he is one of the worst skilled players of all time, but i think he is well behind others he keeps out of the side. His height gets him a game, but we dont utilise it that well anyway.

Margie
7th August 2008, 03:35 PM
In: Goodes, Leo
Out: White, Brennan

I think this is about right. Malceski is unlikely to play.

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 03:43 PM
I really don't understand what LRT gives us.....

An allowance from the government for employing someone with "special" needs????? :D :D ;)

Plugger46
7th August 2008, 03:50 PM

Don't disagree with any of that.

He never looks like getting dropped though, so I don't even bother listing him in my 'outs' anymore.

Tilt Carter
7th August 2008, 04:09 PM
I think Danzar is right, LRT has played quiet well over the last two weeks, he's a handy tall to assist Bolts and Leo. As for Masceski, he's killing my DreamTeam, I need him to play this week more than ever, especially with Heath Shaw out. Any inside word?

Robbo
7th August 2008, 05:23 PM
LRT and Ablett should go before White and Brabazon.

ScottH
7th August 2008, 05:27 PM
LRT and Ablett should go before White and Brabazon.

Won't happen, this year.

hammo
7th August 2008, 05:36 PM
What happened to only selecting a fit side :rolleyes:

Goodes is suffering from a groin injury which forced him to miss last-round's 16-point loss to the Bulldogs but Roos is confident that his star midfielder will play even if he's not 100 per cent fit.

Magic's amazing recovery - FOX SPORTS - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24138437-23209,00.html)

smasher
7th August 2008, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if MOL is named.Apparantly he has come on in leaps and bounds and Roosy is quite pleased with him.

gumby_bolts
7th August 2008, 06:08 PM
Goodes is suffering from a groin injury which forced him to miss last-round's 16-point loss to the Bulldogs but Roos is confident that his star midfielder will play even if he's not 100 per cent fit.

Really? You would think they would have learnt that this isn't the best approach from his last few games.

Jeffers1984
7th August 2008, 06:38 PM
Noggy got the chop.

Braba and White also out

Leo, Goodes and Moorey in

(thanks inside source)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=65054

gossipcom
7th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for bringing that over Jeffers.

Macca's 100th game too. *claps*

Jeffers1984
7th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Noggy got the chop.

Braba and White also out

Leo, Goodes and Moorey in

(thanks inside source)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/News/N...x?newsId=65054

ugg
7th August 2008, 06:40 PM
Malceski named as an emergency? What's the point of that?

Matt79
7th August 2008, 06:42 PM

Perhaps a late change brewing.

eggbeater
7th August 2008, 06:44 PM
Woulda loved Braba to keep his spot, but no one really for him to replace

Plugger46
7th August 2008, 06:56 PM

Great call hammo.

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 06:58 PM

Yay me for correctly picking the exit of Ablett.....

The fact that the rest were way off the mark is irrelavent. :p

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 07:00 PM
Sydney Swans
B: Barry, C Bolton, Mattner.
HB: Crouch, Richards, Kennelly.
C: Jack, McVeigh, Bird.
HF: O?Keefe, Grundy, Goodes
F: Roberts-Thomson, Hall, Bevan
FOL: Jolly, Kirk, J Bolton
INT: Brennan, Everitt, Moore, Veszpremi.
EMG: Ablett, Brabazon, Malceski

IN: Barry, Goodes, Moore
OUT: Ablett, Brabazon, White

Milestones: Jarrad McVeigh (100 AFL and Club games)

573v30
7th August 2008, 07:01 PM
No surprises that Ablett and White were dropped.

Congrats to McVeigh for 100 games, even though most of those were ordinary.

TheMase
7th August 2008, 07:05 PM

Hopefully it is so he has a run in the 2nds. I hope that is the case, as I would rather test out his injury there than against Fremantle.

ugg
7th August 2008, 07:07 PM
Hopefully it is so he has a run in the 2nds. I hope that is the case, as I would rather test out his injury there than against Fremantle.
If they want him to run in the 2nds, then they shouldn't name him at all.

hammo
7th August 2008, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't mind him having a run in reserves just to build some confidence.

BloodsInMyVeins
7th August 2008, 07:11 PM
ABLETT Out!!!

That's what you get for complaining about no meat tray in the Raffle.:D :D :D

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 07:13 PM
No surprises that Ablett and White were dropped.

Harsh... Very harsh..... :)

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 07:14 PM
ABLET Out!!!

That's what you get for complaining about no meat tray in the Raffle.:D :D :D

I thought it was for playing like a dog all year????

BloodsInMyVeins
7th August 2008, 07:17 PM
I thought it was for playing like a dog all year????

DOAH!!! you sure ?:D

cruiser
7th August 2008, 07:24 PM
McVeigh has been playing great footy all year, so what's the point of a comment like this?

cruiser
7th August 2008, 07:26 PM
Malceski named as an emergency? What's the point of that? Hoping he gets fit enough to play between now and Saturday night?

BSA5
7th August 2008, 07:30 PM
If they want him to run in the 2nds, then they shouldn't name him at all.

Maybe, just maybe, he's an emergency on form. Aside from one very good game, he didn't do a whole lot in his games back. Not his fault, you can't expect him to just waltz back into his form of last year. But assuming he is fit enough to play, then looking at his games this year, him being named only as an emergency seems just about right.

Dogzbody
7th August 2008, 07:34 PM
McVeigh has been playing great footy all year, so what's the point of a comment like this?

Second that!

He has been in our Top 5 this year as far as I can see, and he is also a value player in that he is so freakin fit, the club isn't wasting money on poor work ethic, attitude etc.

Ive said it before hes won us some close games this year with his tenacity in 4th quarters.

Future Club Captain material, so have a great game Macca Im coming up from CBR to cheer my @@@ off!

This isnt a Macca thread so I'll shut up now....go LRT in the forward pocket! :confused: :confused:

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 07:38 PM

You mean why let facts get in the way?

He's on fire at the moment, no doubt. Best game of his career last weekend.

But gees he's had some very, very ordinary ones too. Actually, a hell of a lot more crap ones than good ones.

reigning premier
7th August 2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he's an emergency on form. Aside from one very good game, he didn't do a whole lot in his games back. Not his fault, you can't expect him to just waltz back into his form of last year. But assuming he is fit enough to play, then looking at his games this year, him being named only as an emergency seems just about right.

Fair shout that..... He's form's been pretty ordinary in the games he has played.

Then again, beating up an insipid Freo might give him a bit more confidence.

lwjoyner
7th August 2008, 07:56 PM
Swans make three changes (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=65054)

The Sydney Swans have made three changes to last week's side...

573v30
7th August 2008, 07:57 PM

Just stating the facts...

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th August 2008, 07:59 PM
Don't disagree with any of that.

He never looks like getting dropped though, so I don't even bother listing him in my 'outs' anymore.

Has any of you bothered to look at the reasons why he never gets dropped. Because we seriously have nobody else we can put in as a tall defender.

LRT would be better as a 2nd ruckman but we are so light-on for tall defenders that we have little option but to keep him there. Why do you think they are trying to groom Grundy as a defender as well, because we have nobody there who has a bit of height & can kick truly out of defence beside Bolton (not tall) & Marty Mattner (kicks often go astray, gets pinged too much for trying to break tackles).

We should scour the league for more fringe tall defenders with good skills. As it is embarrassing we have to play guys like Grundy there who have shown little in that position & probably never will.

JF

cruiser
7th August 2008, 08:03 PM
Just stating the facts... More like gratuitous bitchiness. Do you assess all players by how well they have played over their entire careers or do you focus on their current form?

Legs Akimbo
7th August 2008, 08:13 PM
I don't have any problems with those changes. Is Ablett injured or just omitted?

TheMase
7th August 2008, 08:50 PM
Is Ablett injured or just omitted?

My guess is omitted. He has been listed as emergency, which would suggest this.

stellation
7th August 2008, 08:58 PM
Wowzers.

eggbeater
7th August 2008, 09:03 PM
That'll teach him to criticise to the media about the lack of meat trays at the raffle.

NMWBloods
7th August 2008, 09:10 PM
Has any of you bothered to look at the reasons why he never gets dropped. Because we seriously have nobody else we can put in as a tall defender.
But as I commented, many times he doesn't play as a tall defender. He's even listed in the forward pocket this week!

swansrule100
7th August 2008, 09:11 PM
who was the last opponent LRT beat?

royboy42
7th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Fair shout that..... He's form's been pretty ordinary in the games he has played.

Then again, beating up an insipid Freo might give him a bit more confidence.

3 in a row..midfield looking ok...pav on fire..mcfarline on fire..insipid??????????

royboy42
7th August 2008, 09:18 PM
That'll teach him to criticise to the media about the lack of meat trays at the raffle.

I reckon it was the apostrophe abuse in meat tray's!!!!

TheMase
7th August 2008, 09:20 PM
But as I commented, many times he doesn't play as a tall defender. He's even listed in the forward pocket this week!

Agreed. The last few weeks people have gotten off his back. This is largely due to him playing loose in defense for the majority.

573v30
7th August 2008, 09:25 PM
More like gratuitous bitchiness. Do you assess all players by how well they have played over their entire careers or do you focus on their current form?

I assess players on both current form and past performances. McVeigh's performances in the past few seasons were ordinary for most of the time and he was well criticised last year along with Bevan and Mathews.

This year on the other hand, McVeigh's become a gun attacking midfielder, he's consistent and has vastly improved his decision making on the field. My comment on his "ordinary" performances wasn't meant to insult him but express my frustration whenever he had the ball and couldn't make the most of a disposal. If he didn't improve by this year, chances are he would be delisted.

However, McVeigh has greatly improved as a player and proved me wrong and I hope he can get at least another 100 games in his career of the same calibre as his 2008 season.

DeadlyAkkuret
7th August 2008, 09:40 PM
I'd like to see McVeigh win the Norm Smith when we win our next flag. (Hopefully soon) That would complete the 180 turn.

JudesaGun
7th August 2008, 10:00 PM
Solid changes.

Goodes and Barry had to come in if fit and Moore needs to be treated as a lock for our top 22 because he is. Bad luck for Brabazon, maybe Grundy could have gone instead but we'd probably be a bit light on for height. White didn't show much and Ablett has been down on form for a while. Good to see the selectors are FINALLY willing to drop one of its favs due to poor form. All we need now is for LRT to take a seat.

Getting close to our best 22... just take out Grundy and put in the Eski.

Robbo
7th August 2008, 10:01 PM
LRT shouldn't be in the side.

Apart from that I'm happy.

Plugger46
7th August 2008, 10:10 PM
Getting close to our best 22... just take out Grundy and put in the Eski.

Reckon we can probably find a spot for O'Loughlin too ;)

JudesaGun
7th August 2008, 10:12 PM
Reckon we can probably find a spot for O'Loughlin too ;)

Of course, how could I forget... he's a given. Bye bye LRT...

DeadlyAkkuret
7th August 2008, 10:15 PM
I'd leave Grundy in ahead of LRT. Also White should be given a go in the backline.

Robbo
7th August 2008, 10:19 PM
I'd leave Grundy in ahead of LRT. Also White should be given a go in the backline.

Was about to say the same thing. Grundy should never be dropped ahead of LRT ever again.

Bloody Hell
8th August 2008, 06:09 AM
Sydney Swans
B: Barry, C Bolton, Mattner.
HB: Crouch, Richards, Kennelly.
C: Jack, McVeigh, Bird.
HF: O?Keefe, Grundy, Goodes
F: Roberts-Thomson, Hall, Bevan
FOL: Jolly, Kirk, J Bolton
INT: Brennan, Everitt, Moore, Veszpremi.
EMG: Ablett, Brabazon, Malceski

IN: Barry, Goodes, Moore
OUT: Ablett, Brabazon, White

Milestones: Jarrad McVeigh (100 AFL and Club games)

Does anyone want to interpret the hidden meaning behind LRT being named in the forward pocket?

I think that backline looks pretty sound as named, so much so that Mal would walk back in onto a wing.

eggbeater
8th August 2008, 08:01 AM
If eski were to come in, i'd like mattner on the wing instead

Industrial Fan
8th August 2008, 10:30 AM
I think Bird is more suited to the wing.

Any chance either Goodes or Moore are iffy and Brabazon will come back into the firsts?

hammo
8th August 2008, 10:52 AM
Does anyone want to interpret the hidden meaning behind LRT being named in the forward pocket?

I don't think there's a hidden meaning. He gets named in all sorts of positions every week.

Any chance either Goodes or Moore are iffy and Brabazon will come back into the firsts?
I would think there's a good chance any of Goodes, Moore or Leo won't play so Brabazon is a chance.

ROK Lobster
8th August 2008, 11:26 AM
As a small, highly-skilled, crumbing, forward rotating through the midfield to take advantage of his sublime delivery he makes an excellent CHB.

connolly
8th August 2008, 11:35 AM
I assess players on both current form and past performances. McVeigh's performances in the past few seasons were ordinary for most of the time and he was well criticised last year along with Bevan and Mathews.

However, McVeigh has greatly improved as a player and proved me wrong and I hope he can get at least another 100 games in his career of the same calibre as his 2008 season.

And ditto Bevo. You obviously forgot to add this in the excitement of the post.

connolly
8th August 2008, 11:40 AM

I'll have a crack at it. We are going to use three ruckmen against that seven foot **** and LRT has been named as a traditional forward pocket resting ruckman. We are going to run the beanpole off his feet by pushing a ruckman (Jolly, Spida or LRT) FORWARD AT EVERY OPORTUNITY. LRT's brief will be to run forward to force the purple giant to chase. The naming of a tall as a forward pocket resting ruck should also please the cop and prop, kick it long traditionalists on this site.

Industrial Fan
8th August 2008, 11:46 AM
As a small, highly-skilled, crumbing, forward rotating through the midfield to take advantage of his sublime delivery he makes an excellent CHB.I think you got BLT confused with Bevan.

ugg
8th August 2008, 11:54 AM

Saving the white-out.

NMWBloods
8th August 2008, 12:01 PM
Does anyone want to interpret the hidden meaning behind LRT being named in the forward pocket?<insert some peyote-inspired commentary around Beamish and Bevonator and purple beanpoles>

connolly
8th August 2008, 02:04 PM
<insert some peyote-inspired commentary around Beamish and Bevonator and purple beanpoles>

And speaking of cactus where is . . . .?

reigning premier
8th August 2008, 02:12 PM
I'll have a crack at it. We are going to use three ruckmen against that seven foot **** and LRT has been named as a traditional forward pocket resting ruckman. We are going to run the beanpole off his feet by pushing a ruckman (Jolly, Spida or LRT) FORWARD AT EVERY OPORTUNITY. LRT's brief will be to run forward to force the purple giant to chase. The naming of a tall as a forward pocket resting ruck should also please the cop and prop, kick it long traditionalists on this site.

Not a bad effort that. 8.5/10. ;)

Though the obvious flaw in the plan is that we'd then be dependent upon either of the useless beanpoles that we have "resting" in the fwd line being actually able to kick a goal!!! (Jolly excluded)

connolly
8th August 2008, 02:24 PM
Not a bad effort that. 8.5/10. ;)

Though the obvious flaw in the plan is that we'd then be dependent upon either of the useless beanpoles that we have "resting" in the fwd line being actually able to kick a goal!!! (Jolly excluded)

The compensation is that the run and chase will be eye candy to the afficinados of human movement. The purple giant lurching after LRT will be worth the ticket price alone

Chilcott
8th August 2008, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, I think LRT will not get dropped this season.

However, next season there is hope. Maybe the Irishman 'Murphy' would take his place as a tall defender.

NMWBloods
8th August 2008, 02:31 PM
The compensation is that the run and chase will be eye candy to the afficinados of human movement. The purple giant lurching after LRT will be worth the ticket price aloneYes, like somehow LRT is gazelle-like...

connolly
8th August 2008, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, I think LRT will not get dropped this season.

However, next season there is hope. Maybe the Irishman 'Murphy' would take his place as a tall defender.

LRT next season may not be a tall defender. If Spida retires (very likely) and Currie doesn't heat up (possible as big men etc, etc), LRT will be a second ruck. In which case he will definitely be in the side.

connolly
8th August 2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, like somehow LRT is gazelle-like...

Actually LRT is extremely quick for his size. He is awkward but he covers the turf at a fair clip. More baby giraffe than gazelle but as they say on the veldt if you have a bloody great lion up your arse style don't matter.

ROK Lobster
8th August 2008, 03:11 PM
Actually LRT is extremely quick for his size. He is awkward but he covers the turf at a fair clip. More baby giraffe than gazelle but as they say on the veldt if you have a bloody great lion up your arse style don't matter.
If he ever has a bloody great lion up his arse let's hope he does not need to change direction.

Triple B
8th August 2008, 05:04 PM
....and Currie doesn't heat up (possible as big men etc, etc).......

...wash your mouth out :mad: :mad:

;)

PS. Taking u to task for doubting Currie/Crusher/Cuz, not for the pun, as bad as it was. :p

Chilcott
8th August 2008, 05:10 PM
LRT next season may not be a tall defender. If Spida retires (very likely) and Currie doesn't heat up (possible as big men etc, etc), LRT will be a second ruck. In which case he will definitely be in the side.

Connolly, if it turns out as you say, good luck to Darren Jolly. He will end up rucking whole games.

LRT will get smashed in the ruck if he is asked to do second ruck duties for the whole season.

IMO LRT should not be an AFL footballer. Has no football brains and limited skills. He does try, but so did Simon McFeast and he wasn't an AFL ruckman either.

reigning premier
8th August 2008, 05:16 PM
IMO LRT should not be an AFL footballer. Has no football brains and limited skills. He does try, but so did Simon McFeast and he wasn't an AFL ruckman either.

If he was that bad then why did they name a burger at McDonald's after him???

swantastic
8th August 2008, 05:26 PM
He gets in all sorts of positions every week. Half his luck.

Donners
8th August 2008, 05:36 PM
Connolly, if it turns out as you say, good luck to Darren Jolly. He will end up rucking whole games.

Which he did in 2006. He wasn't as good around the ground then as he has been this season, but perhaps he has developed as a player.

Chilcott
8th August 2008, 05:52 PM
Which he did in 2006. He wasn't as good around the ground then as he has been this season, but perhaps he has developed as a player.

Agree Donners, but it would be pretty tough on anyone to ruck a whole game. Also, the pace of the game is a little quicker now compared to 2006.

CJK
8th August 2008, 05:55 PM
LRT is in the team for light comic relief.

Like, say, Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon 3 and 4.

And much like those films we, as a team, seem to have run out of ideas. Thankfully no sign of Chris Rock. Yet.

swantastic
8th August 2008, 06:03 PM

And much like those films we, as a team, seem to have run out of ideas. Thankfully no sign of Chris Rock. Yet.He could probably do better than LRT,it least we know he could jump higher.

ScottH
8th August 2008, 06:23 PM
Not upset, but surprised that Ablett got the flick.

CJK
8th August 2008, 06:34 PM
He could probably do better than LRT,it least we know he could jump higher.

Wesley Snipes?

Triple B
8th August 2008, 06:42 PM

Yep, agree with that.

I could hardly believe how poor he was on Sunday. He slipped over CONSTANTLY, I screamed at him all day to 'keep your feet'. Knowing how much emphasis the coaching staff put on that aspect of the game, he just had to be dropped for this week.

But, I'm still surprised.

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th August 2008, 06:46 PM

ROFLCOPTER! :D

JF

Dogzbody
Agree Donners, but it would be pretty tough on anyone to ruck a whole game. Also, the pace of the game is a little quicker now compared to 2006.

I think the pace is exactly the problem, LRT was almost a Norm Smith medallist in the 2005 GF....had an absolute blinder.

I was watching the 2005 GF last night (bit of nostalgia) and the pace was very different to what we see now. LRT worked well in that high stoppage/low scoring period. The new phase "Geelong style" is so quick, last Fridays game Hawks/Pies was played at breakneck speed.

Look at the interchange rate increase, every player is running full tilt all the time they are on, and handballs are going through the roof so quick agile smaller midfiled/HF types are dominating possession, and mobile forwards are doing the same (ie Robert Murphy, Stevie J), little wonder MOL is looking brand new, the style of game being played is to his liking.

The possibilities for LRT may have come and gone:frown

connolly
If he ever has a bloody great lion up his arse let's hope he does not need to change direction.

Which reminds me of the joke about a lion that is drinking at a waterhole. Whilst the lion is drinking a gorilla rushes up and does something unspeakable to the lion. The lion outraged chases the gorilla through the jungle. As the lion is gaining ground on the gorilla the gorilla dashes into a newsagency and buys a copy of the Sydney Morning Herald, dashes off and sits down at a bus stop pretending to read the newspaper. The lion rushes up and says "Hey mate did you see a bloody great hairy gorilla run past here."The gorilla replies: "You mean the one who shagged you . . . . . . " The lion says: "Christ its in the paper already"

NMWBloods
8th August 2008, 08:38 PM

And much like those films we, as a team, seem to have run out of ideas. Thankfully no sign of Chris Rock. Yet.
Best explanation I've seen so far! :)

Nico
8th August 2008, 08:42 PM

The cynic in me says he will play.

Darren Thomson
8th August 2008, 09:24 PM
Reasonable changes. LRT is still learning the game and probably won't play his best footy for a couple years yet. That's a good reason to keep the other young blokes in the side. Hope Goodes is fully recovered and redy to go we can't go anywhere in finals without him. Hope Eski and Fearles Fosdike find their way back into the team