PDA

View Full Version : Positioning

dimelb
17th August 2008, 11:51 AM
Of all the things that impressed me about Geelong's game last night, the one that stood out most was their positioning in field play. It is amazing that they nearly always seem to be moving and in position to receive and pass/run on/kick. It is an aspect of our game that exists occasionally, and is truly exciting when we bring it off. Can we do it more consistently? Is it basically a matter of coaching and game style, or do you need supertalents (Gablett, Bartel etc) to bring it off?
Can we do it?

ScottH
17th August 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't think we have the physical skill, or the mental skill to do it.

Geelong are good enough to handball to where they thought a player would be without looking and, guess what, there was always a player there.
Their ability to get the ball from one end to the ground so quickly and efficeintly, AND so often is amazing.
Most teams can do that, but they can do much more often that most teams. They just gel so well. They've taken the team game to a whole new level, and their passing by foot hitting players on the chest, or putting into space to run onto is outstanding.

NMWBloods
17th August 2008, 01:17 PM
I think you need footballers with the right footballing brains. Our side has done well through being tough and well drilled, not by being naturally talented or smart or instinctive at football. I don't think we're capable of positioning ourselves right at this stage. However, I think a number of the younger players have the right football smarts so it could be promising for us in a few years.

swantastic
17th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Some of our players just didnt man up simple,and they were a few steps behind their opponent.A fair few times i noticed that there was a few Swans players in a little group just watching Geelong hand balling and short kicking it amongst them selves with out much pressure at all.:frown

swan_song
17th August 2008, 04:55 PM
I think you need footballers with the right footballing brains. Our side has done well through being tough and well drilled, not by being naturally talented or smart or instinctive at football. I don't think we're capable of positioning ourselves right at this stage. However, I think a number of the younger players have the right football smarts so it could be promising for us in a few years.

Very, very true. The Swans under Roosie have showed a tremendous amount of grit and detemination, but unfortunately a great many of the team lack real football smarts and talent. We should really all be thankful for 2005, Nick Davis, and the footy gods. We lack speed and genuine depth of talent, and it will be a few years before we can address those issues. Being middle of the road, we will have to trade away good to get better draft picks, or slide down the ladder for a couple of years to build from the bottom. Now the AFL wont like that, smaller crowds, less hoopla in the media at a time they are hoping to launch a 2nd team here. Not an ideal scenario to unleash the Blacktown Bullets...

Nico
17th August 2008, 05:08 PM
Some of our players just didnt man up simple,and they were a few steps behind their opponent.A fair few times i noticed that there was a few Swans players in a little group just watching Geelong hand balling and short kicking it amongst them selves with out much pressure at all.:frown

Yep, Fozzie was a culprit. People say he played OK but he didn't push back or work hard enough to a contest, a result of no A grade footy for some time. Hopefully that comes back for him. He also didn't run to space as is his trademark.

Rod_
17th August 2008, 11:58 PM
Cats are a Settled side, whilst they make changes they seem settled. Everyone is playing as one and knows where to be

I agree that their players have positional sence. The way they zone around where the "ball is" was well done.

I did like the attempt from the Swans to intercept their game plan. (To break down the forward thrusts.)

Whilst it didn't work that well, we are not settled this year and have trailed a lot of players. Longer term benefits.

Rod_