PDA

View Full Version : Who's out for Finals Charge?

TheHood
31st August 2008, 04:29 PM
I go into a bit of a negative way come finals time and given our form, however we still need to get our best on the park.

Do we go horses or courses or just get the best of the best and stick with that, right now we seem to be getting out-enthused by some teams ala Geelong, Hawks, Dogs, Crows, Collingwood etc, that lends itself to picking our youngest and fastest team??

Goal Sneak
31st August 2008, 05:24 PM
Definitely need the likes of Vespa, Moore, Bird & Jack to play finals this year. Not only are they our best chance of progressing, but it is vital for them to get some finals experience. Some players have to make way if ROK, Goodes & O'Loughlin are to come back.

I'm suggesting that NOG should be dropped, he really just throws it on the boot way too much. That leaves two others to go out. Maybe the tribunal will make the selection process a bit easier?

Bear
31st August 2008, 05:34 PM
Grundy will go. That's all I know.

Triple B
31st August 2008, 05:38 PM

That'd be tough on him. One of our best last night.

Robbo
31st August 2008, 05:44 PM

Why?

He was not one of our worst last night. Not even close actually.

Ablett, LRT and Crouch should be thr first one's on the chopping block.

Dogzbody
31st August 2008, 05:56 PM
LRT was actually pretty solid last night. He pretty much stopped Brown, and it just goes to show that when the rest of the backline are going OK, he doesnt panic and does the workmanlike defensive job. I thought LRT was far better on Brown than Leo was on Bradshaw. In that whole mix, when Eski is there and doing his thing it makes the whole group far more intimidating. SupaTed was also on his game.....so we know the combo that works.

MOL wont be back so Vesz gets his spot......Grundy may miss. He was good last night but has been rubbish until then. So there's one with O'Keefe coming in for him.

Bring Goodes in and drop Ablett.

...and theres our finals line-up;)

Dogzbody
31st August 2008, 05:59 PM
.......Amon will get suspended though, so no doubt NOG will still be throwing wildly onto the boot next weekend.

TheMase
31st August 2008, 06:00 PM
LRT was good last night too (IMO..)

Robbo
31st August 2008, 06:01 PM
Grundy may miss. He was good last night but has been rubbish until then.

The exact same can be said for LRT.

In the last two months, Grundy has been superior to LRT. Dropping Reg and leaving LRT in the side would be a terrible injustice.

goswannie14
31st August 2008, 06:02 PM

In the last two months, Grundy has been superior to LRT. Dropping Reg and leaving LRT in the side would be a terrible injustice.Yep, Grundy was amongst our best last week too.

liz
31st August 2008, 06:21 PM
LRT is not going to get dropped. Even if Brown had kicked a half dozen goals on him last night, he wouldn't have been dropped. North have Hale, McIntosh and Petrie all getting amongst the goals in recent weeks. The Saints have Kossie and Riewoldt. B2 can play above his height and he'll probably need to regardless of which we play. But he can't cover both on his own and no-one else has the height. Grundy couldn't play on either of those.

Reg would be stiff to miss next week but the role he played was most akin to that which O'Keefe normally plays - ie a deep half forward. So on a role-for-role he might get squeezed out. And if we play North, I don't think there is necessarily a defensive match-up for him because their forwards are either very tall or pretty short. If Goodes were able to play in the midfield there might still be a spot for him up forward but I suspect Goodes will play out of the goal square.

Robbo
31st August 2008, 06:37 PM
Aaron Edwards is a medium sized forward.

And you do realise that Grundy is only 4cm shorter than LRT?

Rob-bloods
31st August 2008, 06:42 PM
North had a few injuries yesterday was it Harding Wells and Jones?

I do not expect LRT will go or Crouchy actually.

That only leaves Buchanan suspended and probably Grundy.

There may be a fitness issue with Vez but obviously he has earned a place in the final.

They may even run Playfair for height up front is he fit?

North looked very slow against Port but Port can do that when they are on.

No 14
31st August 2008, 06:44 PM
Just a comment... if St Kilda win by 93 points they jump to 4th. Unlikely but possible.

Wazza
31st August 2008, 06:48 PM

In the last two months, Grundy has been superior to LRT. Dropping Reg and leaving LRT in the side would be a terrible injustice.

LRT had far superior disposals last night - Reg was very ordinary with his disposals last night.

Waz

Rob-bloods
31st August 2008, 06:49 PM
Just a comment... if St Kilda win by 93 points they jump to 4th. Unlikely but possible.

Half time 42 points almost on target.

Triple B
31st August 2008, 06:51 PM

Not as easy as that.

The winning margin they need depends on how many points Essendon score.

eg. A 193-100 win would not be enough, but a 123-30 win would be. Both 93 point wins.

Goal Sneak
31st August 2008, 06:58 PM
LRT had far superior disposals last night

Waz

Thats the first time I've ever heard the term "superior disposals" used in reference to LRT :)

liz
31st August 2008, 07:41 PM
He is, but we also have Ted and Leo as defensive stalwarts. Doubt either of them would get dropped before Grundy.

4cm may not sound like much but it does make a difference. Add on to that that LRT has a greater reach advantage than just his height, and has better stamina.

I don't want Grundy dropped. I thought he played a decent game yesterday and has been steadily improving all year. But if we want to fit O'Keefe and Goodes back into the team and want the likes of Vez and Jack and Bird to keep their spots, two others are going to have to miss out. Some difficult decisions for the coaches, unless the tribunal helps them out.

573v30
31st August 2008, 07:43 PM
Ablett's a certainty to be dropped.

Goal Sneak
31st August 2008, 08:01 PM
Saints up by 95 with at least 10 mins to go!

Bob Neil
31st August 2008, 08:09 PM
Saints up by 95 with at least 10 mins to go!

St K 140 V 39 (a few minutes left) - do they go 4th?

573v30
31st August 2008, 08:11 PM
St K 140 V 39 (a few minutes left) - do they go 4th?

They're 4th now and will face a reality check against Geelong.

Dogzbody
31st August 2008, 08:12 PM
109 pts I would say so...............:confused:

Dogzbody
31st August 2008, 08:14 PM
Good times...best post week 1: finals scenario for us :) :) :) :) :)

Bob Neil
31st August 2008, 08:38 PM
Apart from 4th, this is probably the best possible outcome. We will avoid Crows & Pies. Might even make it to the second week.... Kangas will be fired up but.

TheHood
31st August 2008, 08:45 PM
Ablett's a certainty to be dropped.

I sincerely hope you're right. He really isn't confident and needs a miracle to reverse his form in 7 days.

No 14
31st August 2008, 09:16 PM
Not as easy as that.

The winning margin they need depends on how many points Essendon score.

eg. A 193-100 win would not be enough, but a 123-30 win would be. Both 93 point wins.

You were right - I was just keeping it basic. It was pretty close based on Essendon's score.

Cheers

No 14
31st August 2008, 09:17 PM
Apart from 4th, this is probably the best possible outcome. We will avoid Crows & Pies. Might even make it to the second week.... Kangas will be fired up but.

My 2 least favoured teams in the 8 are the crows and pies - knowing one will be knocked out and that the crows will not get a feral (home) final is great for footy.

Triple B
31st August 2008, 09:24 PM
........the crows will not get a feral (home) final is great for footy.

Sorry to disappoint you again.... :p

BSA5
31st August 2008, 09:25 PM
In my opinion, the best options to be dropped are Ablett, and I hate to say it, Crouch. After a great first game back and a very useful second game, he hasn't been too flash. I reckon he has another year in him, but we should keep as many young players in the team as possible for the finals series.

Of course, if anybody goes out with suspension, Crouch deserves to stick around.

ugg
31st August 2008, 09:37 PM
Crouch will tag Harvey, no chance of him being dropped.

barry
31st August 2008, 09:39 PM
Didnt Crouch shut out Luke Power ?

Crouch is one of the reasons we're starting to turn it around in 2008.

JudesaGun
31st August 2008, 09:46 PM
Jude and Monty are sure to miss... so I see the changes as being:

Ins
Goodes, O'Keefe, Brabazon

Outs
Bolton, Buchanan, Ablett

Unfortunately we need LRT to play on Hale, otherwise I'd leave him out too...

gloveski
31st August 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm Sure Ablett done his hammy may be wrong but watch this space

jenky28
31st August 2008, 10:01 PM
Im a firm believer in if something works y change it. IMO playfair and Mol will not be fit enough to play a final as we saw with StKilda in 05 it just doesnt work. Rok imo hasnt been crash hot of late but has finals exp and Goodes will return. On the footy show this morning they said Amon would most likely be sfe as the ball was in the contest or within the 10mtr mark it has to be to be considered in play. Jude however they reckon is in strife and will miss this week. So providing Jude goes we need to drop 1? Correct? Well Jude is a midfielder so Goodes would prob nearly straight swap with him assuming he goes. Then you have Rok...... Do you think a Noggy/Crouch are going to get dropped for a player like Rok??
I really dunno

Triple B
31st August 2008, 10:04 PM
Then you have Rok...... Do you think a Noggy/Crouch are going to get dropped for a player like Rok??

I really dunno

Don't know if it will come down to that choice or not, but you've got to be kidding if you really don't know the answer.

jenky28
31st August 2008, 10:06 PM
I actually meant o dont know who will come in or out not i dont know if Rok will come in for noggy/crouch but thanks for shootn me down!

JudesaGun
31st August 2008, 10:09 PM
I actually meant o dont know who will come in or out not i dont know if Rok will come in for noggy/crouch but thanks for shootn me down!

I think the point was that if O'Keefe is fit he's a dead set certainty... he'll be an All Australia, of course he's in our best 22.

Go Swannies
31st August 2008, 10:11 PM
Just a few points to throw into the mix. Last night at the aftermatch Roos and Horse singled out LRT and Luke for commendation. LRT did "one of the best jobs of containing Brown this year" and "NOG is a vital defensive part of our midfield - it doesn't work without him".

Bear
31st August 2008, 11:04 PM
Why?

He was not one of our worst last night. Not even close actually.

Ablett, LRT and Crouch should be thr first one's on the chopping block.

When his body stands up, like the present, Crouch is our most reliable small run-with player. His job wasn't to get possessions it was to shut down Luke Power. He'll probably get Harvey next week.

Grundy continues to offer very little and has not claimed any position/role as his own. Didn't make obvious clangers last night, but had little impact. His height is irrelevant. Lacks pace and endurance as well.

LRT plays a role in the structure of the backline, however unconvincingly at times.

Agreed Ablett is in the gun.

Buchanan is a moron who will get weeks for his stupidity. No great loss.

You obviously look for differenet things to me.