PDA

View Full Version : Doyle - Worth persisting ?

Cheer Cheer
7th September 2003, 07:48 PM
I had to admit cursing the big gump when he went off with an ankle injury - from another nothing incident! - this guy is to brittle -i hate to bring this up now- but maybe trade bait ?

desredandwhite
7th September 2003, 07:50 PM
I agree it's not looking too good for Doyley. I think he is great when in form, and should be given as many chances as possible... Heath James made it back ( fingers crossed..)... ryan fitzgerald didn't.

Damn beanpoles.

CureTheSane
7th September 2003, 07:51 PM
Dunno, it's a worry.

I mean if you're #1 ruckman goes out, you at LEAST want a fit replacement.

That is always in doubt with Doyle.

I say keep him on the list for next year at least.

He is capable as we all know, and it's not like we are overflowing with ruckmen to step in in that dept.

Besides with LRT and MJ, we may be able to pick and choose who we keep at the end of next season.

Let's not be too hasty :LD

dawson
7th September 2003, 07:51 PM
Get rid of him.
Get rid of Seymour.
And probably Stevens as well.

Cheer Cheer
7th September 2003, 07:52 PM
IM BLOODY ANGRY!!!

I HATE HOW HE KEEPS GOING DOWN FOR NO APPARENT REASON!!

THE GUY IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

gossipcom
7th September 2003, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't get rid of Stevens but Doyle definitely looked underdone and his injury was basically a miracle that came through to us in the middle of that match - yes we were down to only Goodes in the ruck but then Hall came forward and did some rucking which helped us.

CureTheSane
7th September 2003, 07:56 PM
I think it's a bit harsh on him.

I mean, it's his second game back, and he was rushed back.

Let's not go down the road of "bad form = trade/delist" without a bit more thought

daniel f
7th September 2003, 08:04 PM
Hate to admit it guys and gals but i was slightly relieved when Doyle got injured,every time he came on the ground Port got goals.I think we should be bidding for Geelongs Peter Street in the off season as he was about their best in final round but has been mooted as trade bait.PLEASE DOYLEY PROVE ME WRONG.

swan_song
7th September 2003, 08:06 PM
Yep, lets wait till season's end before going into delistings/trades again...
Doyle was rushed back for obvious reasons and was just as obviously much underdone...probably he wouldn't have played this year again had Ball not gone down... He does seem brittle though, but nevertheless deserves a chance to prove the contrary...

SWANSBEST
7th September 2003, 08:09 PM
Doyle should not be playing at present . When I saw him play in the Reserves a few weeks ago he was very proppy . Currently not in good shape and only playing through sheer necessity . One more year.

Stevens acquitted himself well today apart from one kick out on the full. I do not wish to sound a know all but for a long time I have been pushing for him to be played in the backs and that is where he ended up today. He must be kept.

gloveski
7th September 2003, 08:10 PM
I think realistically they will have to look at Mickeljohn for the rest of the finals

gossipcom
7th September 2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
I think realistically they will have to look at Mickeljohn for the rest of the finals He was unavailable for today's match so we can hope he'll be another one of those players who gets over his injury in 2 weeks time.

penga
7th September 2003, 08:17 PM
stick with him and stick him at full forward!

hardluck_harry
7th September 2003, 08:45 PM
Persist with Doyley.

You don't see the best out big ruckman until their 26-32 y/o. Just remember Gardiner at the Weagles only started showing his best last year, after about 6 years at the club.

barry
7th September 2003, 09:08 PM
Hi fragility is a worry, but I think this time it is due to being rushed back a bit underdone.

His role for todays game would be to play short bursts in the 1st 3 quarters, then play most of the 4th as FF or ruck when everyone has tired down to his fitness level. Unfortunetly he didnt get to the 4th.

But Borgan is a very good ruckman, so no disgrace loosing to him.

I say persist, and if he's fit get him down to canberra next weekend for some more match fitness.

JudesaGun
7th September 2003, 09:26 PM
Yep - much prefer him over "The John" - can take a mark and is a better ruck man. He had a shcked before he got injured today but wait till he gets a full preaseason and then its tiem to assess.

TheHood
7th September 2003, 09:52 PM
I do reckon big Doyley is good when he gets going, especially at FF, but you have to be careful not to start comparing him to Goodesy who truly showed his freakish skills today!

Dpw
7th September 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by dawson
Get rid of him.
Get rid of Seymour.
And probably Stevens as well.

I thought Stevens was fantastic when he went down back made one clanger but spoiled well and used the ball well I would like to see him down back more before we offload him.

TheHood
7th September 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
I thought Stevens was fantastic when he went down back made one clanger but spoiled well and used the ball well I would like to see him down back more before we offload him.

Thought he put in a Bradshawesque type performance!

Rob-bloods
7th September 2003, 10:23 PM
Come on Guys, Doyle'y is 6ft 10 or something, if we had Ball'y he would have been saved for next season, Ruckmen take a long time to get the condition and he has had some unluck. He will certainly get another year with us to prove himself and he still has the potential to be an outstanding ruckman.

hammo
7th September 2003, 10:26 PM
Let him get a full pre-season under his belt. He probably needs to bulk up as well.

timbo
7th September 2003, 10:38 PM
doyle's shown nothing. Develop roberts-thompson who has skill and can even kick goals!

ugg
7th September 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by timbo
doyle's shown nothing. Develop roberts-thompson who has skill and can even kick goals!

Some people have very short memories. Doyle has shown quite a bit in the few games he's played.

Sid
8th September 2003, 12:11 AM
I think most of us forget the fact that he is still very young and inexperienced. He played a great game in the first round i remember and thats when he had everyone's hopes up of his abilities.

He provides a great marking option up forward and can do quite a bit of rucking. Remember that he has only had 3 games so far since his comeback, give him a chance at least.

100% not in trading him.

dimelb
8th September 2003, 12:19 AM
Definitely keep Doyle - and Stevens and Ablett for that matter. They showed commitment today, and did well especially in defence. A bulked-up Stevens could be a very useful CHB.

NMWBloods
8th September 2003, 12:23 AM
Definitely keep Doyle.

Stevens finally showed some spirit today - did well down back on Lade who was their most damaging forward.

Shame about Seymour's injury - if it's bad, could be the end of him, which is disappointing.

Arks
8th September 2003, 12:47 AM
Im confident Roos will make the right decision on doyles future. He does seem to be made out of fibre glass though.

I wasn't to pleased with hes performance today and was not bothered in the slightest that he would not be coming back on today. But he was under a injury cloud and had played very little football all year.

undy
8th September 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by timbo

You dip-stick.

Doyle: 12 goals from 19 games
LRT: 4 goals from 15 games

Do you want me to do the difficult part of the maths for you ?

Anyone who saw Doyle in the reserves a few weeks ago would have told you he wasn't ready to play (and they did, on this site).

jude_boltons_babe
8th September 2003, 01:32 PM
when hes played hes been good its not like he wants to be injured and people who think robert lewis thompson is good i think and a few of my freinds say that he should be in reserves to get more better because hes not playing that well and hes making mistakes

Schneidergirl
8th September 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
Definitely keep Doyle - and Stevens and Ablett for that matter. They showed commitment today, and did well especially in defence. A bulked-up Stevens could be a very useful CHB.

Exactly.

I don't think they should get rid of anyone that played in the side yesterday. They were all brilliant! Every effort mattered.
Ablett's defence yesterday in the second half, was great.
Doyle is wonderful when on song! I think the people doubting Doyle should go and watch round 1 again. As so many people have noted, he has been rushed back to the side. Give him a fair go!

Schneider missed two goals, do you think we should get rid of him????

Mark
8th September 2003, 01:54 PM
You have to love the Australian school system !

jixygirl
8th September 2003, 02:01 PM
Doyle has shown some fantastic form when he's been properly fit. You cannot say that he was fit yesterday and he didn't exactly have a fantastic game. However, I think we should keep him because of the form he's shown.

Sanecow
8th September 2003, 03:17 PM
I don't think we should be trading him yet, but that free kick he gave away inside Port's attacking 50 was frustrating as hell.

NMWBloods
8th September 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by adam_goodes_babe
when hes played hes been good its not like he wants to be injured and people who think robert lewis thompson is good i think and a few of my freinds say that he should be in reserves to get more better because hes not playing that well and hes making mistakes

Jeez - here we go again. Don't tell people not to bag a player and then turn around and bag one yourself. It's the height of hypocrisy. And try some punctuation for a change!

Schneidergirl
8th September 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by adam_goodes_babe

It's LRT's first year, he's going to be up and down till he finds his form.
He has been playing with a lot of heart. You can tell that with his rising star nomination!
He played extremely well on Sunday.
He deserves a lot more credit!