PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane can, why can't we?

goswannie14
19th October 2008, 04:44 AM
Brisbane are going to be using a Fitzroy style jumper in all of their Melbourne based games this season, Lions to re-invent traditional guernsey (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lions-to-look-like-fitzroy/2008/10/15/1223750133880.html). I know it has been done to death on here, but wouldn't it be nice to see the Swans do that too?

cruiser
19th October 2008, 07:09 AM
Brisbane are going to be using a Fitzroy style jumper in all of their Melbourne based games this season, Lions to re-invent traditional guernsey (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lions-to-look-like-fitzroy/2008/10/15/1223750133880.html). I know it has been done to death on here, but wouldn't it be nice to see the Swans do that too? As a Sydney based supporter who never supported South Melbourne I think it would be a great idea.

Big Al
19th October 2008, 07:50 AM
Love the idea - and this is from someone who wouldn't be able to find South Melbourne with a UBD and a Navman.

ROK Lobster
19th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Brisbane are going to be using a Fitzroy style jumper in all of their Melbourne based games this season, Lions to re-invent traditional guernsey (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lions-to-look-like-fitzroy/2008/10/15/1223750133880.html). I know it has been done to death on here, but wouldn't it be nice to see the Swans do that too?
Maybe the difference is that Brisbane is a merged club. Sydney is not. It is the same club in a different place. It would be like Hawthorn wearing a 1980's jumper in Tasmania. That said, it is not something I would have a problem with, just a possible explanation.

hammo
19th October 2008, 11:17 AM
The traditional South jumper is ten times better than the current Sydney Swans jumper with its kitsch Opera House logo.

573v30
19th October 2008, 11:31 AM
There's still a strong South Melbourne support base, I can't see why not.

dimelb
19th October 2008, 12:31 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - great idea, let's do it.

ScottH
19th October 2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe the difference is that Brisbane is a merged club. Sydney is not. It is the same club in a different place. It would be like Hawthorn wearing a 1980's jumper in Tasmania. That said, it is not something I would have a problem with, just a possible explanation.

Therefore Brisbane are only partially Fitzroy, whereas Sydney, was wholly South Melbourne.

ugg
19th October 2008, 06:41 PM
How about jumper clashes - possibly with North and Geelong ?

ROK Lobster
19th October 2008, 06:43 PM
Therefore Brisbane are only partially Fitzroy, whereas Sydney, was wholly South Melbourne.And hence, we are the same club as we have always been, and there is only one club jumper. The Lions, on the other hand, are 2 clubs merged into one, so it makes some sense to use both jumpers from time to time.

Cheer Squad
19th October 2008, 07:54 PM
You would have to question why The Lions are reviving the old Fitzroy strip.

In my opinion, they are trying to resuscitate the interest of former Fitzroy fans who've deserted the club (I met a very famous Fitzroy supporter a few weeks ago who's no longer interested in the game). We don't have that problem with Melbourne fans for the moment.

The key question for the club is the effect on perceptions of the "Sydney Swans" brand in Sydney. To me, resurrecting the old South Melbourne strip for all Melbourne games is a retrograde step, and a mistake. It would only re-inforce the Melbourne-centric image that AFL has in Sydney, which is a key barrier to development of the code up here.

The issue here is identity and consistency. Different strips only reinforce different identities. The exception is Heritage Round, where the old South Melbourne strip is naturally relevant.

The South Melbourne Swans are history. It's the Sydney Swans - forever.

CureTheSane
21st October 2008, 09:21 PM
I don't like this idea.

OK on the odd occasion.

Personally I prefer the current jumper and I feel no need to go off on some pseudo nostalgia trip.

I would suggest that the club has a plethora of reasons why not to use the old jumper and they'd be all pretty much valid.

stellation
22nd October 2008, 09:07 AM
I don't mind it every now and again, but I don't like the idea of doing it every single Melbourne game.

Lucky Knickers
22nd October 2008, 09:36 AM
I agree Stell. Nice for heritage round but we don't need it every game.
I think the current Sydney Swans guernsey is a brilliant design and is iconic.
Don't get me started on those shorts tho'

ScottH
22nd October 2008, 09:57 AM

I really don't get why we'd wear a Fitzroy Jumper for Melbourne games.

goswannie14
22nd October 2008, 03:53 PM
I really don't get why we'd wear a Fitzroy Jumper for Melbourne games.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes::p

AnnieH
22nd October 2008, 04:01 PM
The traditional South jumper is ten times better than the current Sydney Swans jumper with its kitsch Opera House logo.

Kitsch ... indeed!!

msb
22nd October 2008, 06:05 PM
I think us melbourne based supporters are lucky that we still have the red and white colours let alone the old south jumper, leave it as is south is just a memory now.