PDA

View Full Version : steven armstrong

dazza
22nd October 2008, 09:42 AM
Hey Guys

Why not look at this guy ? He is young.He is only 24 years old and has played as a key forward.

He could probably play back or even in the midfield.

Is he quick ?

We could do a lot worse by taking him in a 2nd round draft pick

ugg
22nd October 2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Guys

Why not look at this guy ? He is young.He is only 24 years old and has played as a key forward.

No he hasn't. He's only 180 cm and has been playing as a small forward with the Weagles, after failing to make it as a midfielder with both West Coast and Melbourne. I was surprised he was cut as he played some good games for them.

We could do a lot worse by taking him in a 2nd round draft pick

If we really wanted him, I think he would be available in the PSD. No need to waste a 2nd round pick on him.

dazza
22nd October 2008, 11:21 AM
Is he the type of player that Roos may look at ?

Chilcott
22nd October 2008, 12:45 PM
Only 24 years old and delisted by two clubs.

Why?

He obviously does not have the height for KP and does not have the pace or endurance for midfield. Although, has good skills, the pace of the game has left him behind.

22nd October 2008, 01:36 PM
Could well be worth a punt especially at the age of 24.

liz
22nd October 2008, 01:57 PM
I confess I find it hard to reconcile the widespread gnashing of teeth over the recruitment of a speedy ball carrier who had a pretty good year (suspension aside) and the cries of "play the yoof" with the interest in recruiting every other mediocre off-cast of other clubs regardless of whether they fill a gaping hole on the list.

We have numerous players capable of playing that small forward role in the way Armstrong does - ie he's decently paced rather than express and not exactly silkily skilled. We also have ample tall gawky players who can take the odd good mark but go missing for periods and are suspect kicking at goal (ala Damon White). Or midsized players capable of kicking one goal per game (eg Jericho).

This isn't meant as a comment on whether Shaw is a good pick-up or not. Just the inconsistency...

Plugger46
22nd October 2008, 02:36 PM
Agreed liz.

chammond
22nd October 2008, 02:50 PM
Only 24 years old and delisted by two clubs.

Why?

He obviously does not have the height for KP and does not have the pace or endurance for midfield. Although, has good skills, the pace of the game has left him behind.

Armstrong was a champion junior (won the Larke Medal?) who was expected to go top 10 in the draft. He made a great debut in 2002 (Rising Star nominee and Demons' best first year player), but then got scarred physically and mentally in the Bali bombing.

He's medium fast, a good mark, a good tackler and a good kick for goal. He's just never been able to gain any consistency - hence he's a premiership player who's spent his whole career rebounding in and out of the seniors.

If Roos et al could inject some consistency he'd definitely fit in the Swans' best 22, otherwise he'd be a waste of a spot on the list.

Robbo
22nd October 2008, 07:41 PM
I would draft him. We need a small forward and Armstrong has proven that he can play well in that role.

I thought he was a bit stiff to be delisted. I would have no hesitation in picking him up with one of our late picks.

Nico
22nd October 2008, 07:50 PM
No.

573v30
22nd October 2008, 09:48 PM
I've called him a frontrunner several times but if the Swans pick him up, he'll have to prove me wrong.

Plugger46
22nd October 2008, 10:24 PM
Very ordinary. We do not want him.

dimelb
22nd October 2008, 10:26 PM
I would draft him. We need a small forward and Armstrong has proven that he can play well in that role.

I thought he was a bit stiff to be delisted. I would have no hesitation in picking him up with one of our late picks.
I think he'd be competing against people like Moore and Veszpremi, and I doubt that he'd make it.

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd October 2008, 12:14 AM
Ways To Become More Mediocre Vol. 1

Robbo
23rd October 2008, 05:53 PM
I think he'd be competing against people like Moore and Veszpremi, and I doubt that he'd make it.

Veszpremi should move into the midfield in 09.

BSA5
24th October 2008, 01:01 AM
Veszpremi should move into the midfield in 09.

'10. Still won't have the tank in '09.

-Doogs-
24th October 2008, 06:35 PM
I dont think he'll be a Swan, but from a stats point of view he was equal 4th in the league for tackles in 08 with 317. That does show a level of committment. He is a premiership player and considering all he has been through, a change of environment might be just the thing he needs to bring out his best.

dimelb
24th October 2008, 08:51 PM
I dont think he'll be a Swan, but from a stats point of view he was equal 4th in the league for tackles in 08 with 317. That does show a level of committment. He is a premiership player and considering all he has been through, a change of environment might be just the thing he needs to bring out his best.
A tackling forward? So he'll be competing for a spot with Bevan?

573v30
24th October 2008, 08:58 PM
A tackling forward? So he'll be competing for a spot with Bevan?

Bevo's playing in the forward line? :confused:

ugg
24th October 2008, 09:34 PM
Are we still speaking about Armstrong? He finished the season with 43.

BTW, for a player to finish with 317 tackles would require an average well into double figures, which is beyond even the tackling capabilities of our own Captain Kirk.

dimelb
24th October 2008, 10:14 PM
Bevo's playing in the forward line? :confused:
He does on occasion, and has kicked the odd goal. In fact I'd rather see him there at times than down back. He might be a good opponent for Hodge when we play Hawthorn.