PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Swan sculpture for the SCG in April

top40
5th January 2009, 01:13 PM
It was announced today by the SCG Trust Chairman, Rodney Cavalier, that an AFL player will be honoured with a sculpture (or statute) next April. A second AFL player will be honoured in sometime in the more distant future

I wrongly anticipated that on 6th June 2009, Tony Lockett might be honoured, as that date represents the 10th anniversary of the 1300th goal. However, Cavalier has stated that a Rugby Union player will be honoured on that day, coinciding with a special Wallabies-Barbarians Rugby game to take place at the SCG.

In my view there are only really two AFL candidates for sculptures: Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett

? Paul Kelly:

The only AFL player to be honoured with a Hall of Fame status, whereupon he played his entire career in the state of New South Wales. A NSW origin Brownlow Medallist; he also led the club their first grand final appearance in 51 years.

? Tony Lockett

Although not originally from New South Wales, the memories of that ?96 Preliminary Final, and that 1300th in 1999 represent the games? most significant moments. Won two Coleman Medals whilst playing for the Swans

? Other candidates

o Barry Round: Sydney?s first captain, a real first settlor.
o Dennis Carroll: Long time Sydney captain, who has remained in the city, post retirement, promoting the game.
o Gerald Healy: Brownlow Medallist and MVP in 1988

The retirements of present players such as Adam Goodes, Michael O?Loughlin, and New South Welshman Leo Barry put them into contention in the future, but forget about 2009. My opinion is that in the the name of the Brewongle Stand should be changed to the Goodes-O?Loughlin Stand when those two Swan greats both retire.

connolly
5th January 2009, 05:23 PM
It was announced today by the SCG Trust Chairman, Rodney Cavalier, that an AFL player will be honoured with a sculpture (or statute) next April. A second AFL player will be honoured in sometime in the more distant future

I wrongly anticipated that on 6th June 2009, Tony Lockett might be honoured, as that date represents the 10th anniversary of the 1300th goal. However, Cavalier has stated that a Rugby Union player will be honoured on that day, coinciding with a special Wallabies-Barbarians Rugby game to take place at the SCG.

In my view there are only really two AFL candidates for sculptures: Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett

? Paul Kelly:

The only AFL player to be honoured with a Hall of Fame status, whereupon he played his entire career in the state of New South Wales. A NSW origin Brownlow Medallist; he also led the club their first grand final appearance in 51 years.

? Tony Lockett

Although not originally from New South Wales, the memories of that ?96 Preliminary Final, and that 1300th in 1999 represent the games? most significant moments. Won two Coleman Medals whilst playing for the Swans

? Other candidates

o Barry Round: Sydney?s first captain, a real first settlor.
o Dennis Carroll: Long time Sydney captain, who has remained in the city, post retirement, promoting the game.
o Gerald Healy: Brownlow Medallist and MVP in 1988

The retirements of present players such as Adam Goodes, Michael O?Loughlin, and New South Welshman Leo Barry put them into contention in the future, but forget about 2009. My opinion is that in the the name of the Brewongle Stand should be changed to the Goodes-O?Loughlin Stand when those two Swan greats both retire.

It should be Adam Goodes. Two Brownlows (and maybe one more to come), a premiership and surely the captaincy. The most credentialed player in the history of the Bloods Sydney incarnation. By the way Kelly was not the best footballer to come from NSW. Probably the greatest australian rules footballer of all time was from New South Wales (and its not Wayne Carey).

goswannie14
5th January 2009, 05:48 PM
It should be Adam Goodes. Two Brownlows (and maybe one more to come), a premiership and surely the captaincy. The most credentialed player in the history of the Bloods Sydney incarnation. By the way Kelly was not the best footballer to come from NSW. Probably the greatest australian rules footballer of all time was from New South Wales (and its not Wayne Carey).
I didn't think E J Whitten was from NSW.

Nthblood
5th January 2009, 07:36 PM
You must be talking about Mr Hird Connolly

liz
5th January 2009, 07:39 PM
I suspect he's referring to Bunton.

Cheer Squad mbr
5th January 2009, 07:39 PM
Although he only ever played for the South Melbourne Swans, I think Bobby Skilton should be given some consideration.

reigning premier
5th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Rarely does the audience or himself have any idea to what he's referring to......

ROK Lobster
5th January 2009, 10:06 PM
Nick Davis

stellation
5th January 2009, 10:14 PM
Although he only ever played for the South Melbourne Swans, I think Bobby Skilton should be given some consideration.
I'm sorry, I can't tell- are you actually serious?

stellation
5th January 2009, 10:16 PM
Nick Davis
Just between us, I think you might actually be right.

ScottH
5th January 2009, 10:43 PM
Just between us, I think you might actually be right.

Is there a KFC at the SCG??

Cardinal
5th January 2009, 11:16 PM
The ACT is not NSW

top40
5th January 2009, 11:58 PM
I never wrote that Paul Kelly was the greatest NSW player ever. What I said was that he was the only AFL Hall of Famer to play his entire career in NSW. The suggestion of Wayne Carey misses the point. He might of come from Wagga Wagga, but he never ventured across the Murray to play senior football. And his recent conduct would be an embarrassment.

Bobby Skilton is an icon to the Swans, a club representing two cities. However, he never played a game at the SCG.

The Nick Davis suggestion is actually a reasonable one to a point. Think about it. In the context of the SYDNEY CRICKET GROUND, who was the greatest hero that led to the Swans' 2005 flag. Further, he was born and bred in metropolitan Sydney. I'm not particularly serious of course, but Nick Davis is in my opinion a better choice that either Wayne Carey or Bob Skilton.

Cheer Squad mbr
6th January 2009, 01:04 AM
I reckon so. Still, Kelly would surely be the early favourite though.

connolly
6th January 2009, 03:09 AM
I never wrote that Paul Kelly was the greatest NSW player ever. What I said was that he was the only AFL Hall of Famer to play his entire career in NSW. The suggestion of Wayne Carey misses the point. He might of come from Wagga Wagga, but he never ventured across the Murray to play senior football. And his recent conduct would be an embarrassment.

Bobby Skilton is an icon to the Swans, a club representing two cities. However, he never played a game at the SCG.

The Nick Davis suggestion is actually a reasonable one to a point. Think about it. In the context of the SYDNEY CRICKET GROUND, who was the greatest hero that led to the Swans' 2005 flag. Further, he was born and bred in metropolitan Sydney. I'm not particularly serious of course, but Nick Davis is in my opinion a better choice that either Wayne Carey or Bob Skilton.

I was referring to Hayden Bunton Snr. Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.

Wardy
6th January 2009, 06:52 AM
I was referring to Hayden Bunton Snr. Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us. Gee didnt see that one coming :rolleyes:

Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?" but I'm sure the statue would appeal to gastric strickin pidgeons in large numbers, so there is an up side.

Out of left field prediction - Geoffrey Edelsten for services to the pink helicopter industry and the introduction of the Swannettes.

Actual prediction - its a tie between Kelly and Lockett.

goswannie14
6th January 2009, 08:05 AM
Gee didnt see that one coming :rolleyes:Yep, a bit tiring, some people just don't know when to let go.:rolleyes:

Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?" but I'm sure the statue would appeal to gastric strickin pidgeons in large numbers, so there is an up side.I don't think pigeons would be the only ones.

satchmopugdog
6th January 2009, 08:08 AM
Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.

Boom boom

Love your work.....if there is a report of an earthquake in Ulverstone on the news don't worry it was just me laughing so hard and my morning cup of holiday tea being sprayed over the computer screen.Great way to start the day.

stellation
6th January 2009, 09:05 AM
I get what you're saying, when someone tried to lay a hit on him they may as well have gone to Trafalgar square and tried to bring down Lord Nelson- so hard Davo was.

I like the cut of your jib, connolly.

stellation
6th January 2009, 09:07 AM
Is there a KFC at the SCG??
Oh you!

CJK
6th January 2009, 09:15 AM

+1

ROK Lobster
6th January 2009, 09:19 AM
Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.Unlike Bevo, who thinks like one.

Mike_B
6th January 2009, 09:26 AM
Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?"

Either that or "Bevan? He was a cricketer, why did they put a statue of him up as a footballer?"

Actually, I think it would be more likely to see a statue at the SCG of Michael before Paul, even if he did also play for SA and Tassie.

Wardy
6th January 2009, 09:28 AM
Either that or "Bevan? He was a cricketer, why did they put a statue of him up as a footballer?"

Actually, I think it would be more likely to see a statue at the SCG of Michael before Paul, even if he did also play for SA and Tassie.

Very good point - I didnt think of the cricket bloke.

Dalai Lama
6th January 2009, 11:16 AM
A Troy Luff sculpture is the way to go?

Wardy
6th January 2009, 11:19 AM
A Troy Luff sculpture is the way to go?

or two other players who's contribution to the Swans was nothing short of sensational - Daffy & Tingay!;) :p

Dalai Lama
6th January 2009, 11:23 AM
or maybe Dermot Brereton for his Swans song effort?

Wardy
6th January 2009, 11:25 AM
or maybe Dermot Brereton for his Swans song effort?

yeah - good call!

stellation
6th January 2009, 11:27 AM

It's an interesting thought, perhaps they'll just put up a statue of Michael and when the Swans people ask say it's Paul.
SSFC: "No, it's clearly Michael."
SCGT: "No, it's Paul."
SSFC: "But it says Michael on the plauge."
SCGT: "Typo."
SSFC: "Big typo!"
SCGT: "Yes."
SSFC: "But he's holding a cricket bat."
SCGT: "No, that's a football."
SSFC: "No it's not, it's clearly..."
SCGT: "A football. See these letters on it?"
SSFC: "G.R.A.Y.N.I.C."
SCGT: "Sherrin!"

Wardy
6th January 2009, 11:31 AM
It's an interesting thought, perhaps they'll just put up a statue of Michael and when the Swans people ask say it's Paul.
SCGT: "Sherrin!"

stranger things have happened when it comes to Rodney Cavalier and his merry band of crusty trust members!;) anything could happen with that crowd!

Dalai Lama
6th January 2009, 11:33 AM
I think somthing to welcome Toobee is also in order.

Example attached....

goswannie14
6th January 2009, 11:34 AM
SCGT: "Sherrin!"I thought it was a parrot.

connolly
7th January 2009, 10:27 AM
Gee didnt see that one coming :rolleyes:

Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?" but I'm sure the statue would appeal to gastric strickin pidgeons in large numbers, so there is an up side.

Out of left field prediction - Geoffrey Edelsten for services to the pink helicopter industry and the introduction of the Swannettes.

Actual prediction - its a tie between Kelly and Lockett.

Interesting that the Bevanator's great uncle the great Brian Bevan had a statue erected in his honour outside the Warrington stadium

Wardy
7th January 2009, 10:34 AM
Interesting that the Bevanator's great uncle the great Brian Bevan had a statue erected in his honour outside the Warrington stadium

the thing is that people actually in other parts of the world knew Brian Bevan because he represented his county in his chosen code - and he was a star - sadly your love child has little chance of ever reaching such lofty heights of recognition. just being honest!

connolly
7th January 2009, 10:50 AM
the thing is that people actually in other parts of the world knew Brian Bevan because he represented his county in his chosen code - and he was a star - sadly your love child has little chance of ever reaching such lofty heights of recognition. just being honest!

Be careful here Wardy. Remeber Brian couldn't get a game for Eastern Suburbs before the war, rejected by two pommie clubs on trial and went on to be the greatest winger of all time. The Bevans are late bloomers

Wardy
7th January 2009, 10:53 AM
Be careful here Wardy. Remeber Brian couldn't get a game for Eastern Suburbs before the war, rejected by two pommie clubs on trial and went on to be the greatest winger of all time. The Bevans are late bloomers

the optimism you produce is truly astounding... gotta give you points for persistence I guess.

BigD
12th January 2009, 10:09 AM
IMHO it has to be either Kelly or Lockett. Or maybe Micky O.:hmmm

stellation
12th January 2009, 11:23 AM
Perhaps a statue of Michael with a shrub of some kind planted in front of it?*

*For sanecow, RIP

Cheer Squad mbr
12th January 2009, 04:31 PM
What about a bronze statue of the entire 05 premiership winning team instead? :)

ItsAllGoodes
12th January 2009, 04:54 PM
What about a bronze statue of the entire 05 premiership winning team instead? :)

They could model it on the pictures taken after the game...all the players and the cup etc...Roosy's kids could even be in it

But as a slightly left-field suggestion...maybe it could be a statue of Roosy himself, as the man who brought the premiership cup to Sydney, with very simple wording on the plaque...

"For those of you who have waited many many years for a Sydney Swans statue at the SCG......HERE IT IS!!!!!"

Cheer Squad mbr
12th January 2009, 06:11 PM
They could model it on the pictures taken after the game...all the players and the cup etc...Roosy's kids could even be in it

But as a slightly left-field suggestion...maybe it could be a statue of Roosy himself, as the man who brought the premiership cup to Sydney, with very simple wording on the plaque...

"For those of you who have waited many many years for a Sydney Swans statue at the SCG......HERE IT IS!!!!!"

I like the idea of Roosy having that moment when holding the cup and shouting those 3 words bronzed. ;)

Bas
12th January 2009, 10:29 PM
You are all wrong! There is only one player known Australia wide and his leaps were outstanding. That's it, some are guessing now. it has to be:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZA AAAAAAA!

Our Warwick Cappa! Up there a wedgy!

Seriously, between Kelly and Lockett. Depends on their selection criteria. However neither played in Sydney's first GF win.

In that case it should be Roos. He played and was coach.

But what about Micky? He has earned it too.

Tough decision. I'd nominate Kenny. He has been there every week since day 1! I'd throw in some conducting lessons. He always looks like he's being attacked by a wasp.

Cheer Squad mbr
12th January 2009, 11:25 PM
Good 'ol Kenny Williams! They should make one of him like Yabba but either standing next to the Paul Kelly race or hanging over the fence at the Noble stand end. :)

Reggi
13th January 2009, 06:28 AM
The SCG should be renamed "The House that Lockett Built"

The only way they can afford the new stands, was what the bug feller bought them

Bas
14th January 2009, 01:14 PM
The SCG should be renamed "The House that Lockett Built"

The only way they can afford the new stands, was what the bug feller bought them

Had to read that twice. I thought what pest exterminator?

Watched Foxtel show called Kiwi Kitchen to see what was so orignal to the Kiwi cuisine. Answered in first 20 seconds. - Mutton Bird!

Wardy
14th January 2009, 01:16 PM
Watched Foxtel show called Kiwi Kitchen to see what was so orignal to the Kiwi cuisine. Answered in first 20 seconds. - Mutton Bird!

that Kiwi bloke compare is very funny - takes the piss out of all things kiwi - did he have his "teatowel of the week"?

goswannie14
14th January 2009, 01:36 PM
Good 'ol Kenny Williams! They should make one of him like Yabba but either standing next to the Paul Kelly race or hanging over the fence at the Noble stand end. :)If it was next to the Paul Kelly race he would have to be stretching his hammy's.;)

Wardy
14th January 2009, 01:44 PM
If it was next to the Paul Kelly race he would have to be stretching his hammy's.;)

Actually if you had Kenny - you would have to have the old girls next to him in bronze as well - they have been there since the year dot too! kind of like a group sculpture;)

AnnieH
14th January 2009, 03:03 PM
Should be me ... I've sat through enough crappy games!!;)

Cheer Squad mbr
14th January 2009, 04:44 PM
Actually if you had Kenny - you would have to have the old girls next to him in bronze as well - they have been there since the year dot too! kind of like a group sculpture;)

The group sculpture is starting to sound like a theme!

reigning premier
14th January 2009, 08:53 PM
Bob Skilton giving a reach around to Paul Kelly whilst having his leg humped by Tony Lockett would be the go.... (With Troy Luff rock spidering from a distance if they have the space...)

Pekay
14th January 2009, 09:59 PM
Either Lockett at the top end of his kick, arm in the air, or Kell with his usual solid pack breaking stance, massive cannons at the ready.
But the best would have to be the Wiz, with that grab he took over Langford, that was sensational, imagine walking past that on your way into the ground?

connolly
15th January 2009, 08:05 AM
For those among us that truely believe that the Bevanator will emulate the great unc Brian and the kid will get the statue, the Trust won't have to commission some over priced pretender to do the job. One of the Bevantor already exists. They just have to organise a removalist van. This effort may do an injustice to the tyro. Its a bit light on the tackle

Wardy
15th January 2009, 08:32 AM
For those among us that truely believe that the Bevanator will emulate the great unc Brian and the kid will get the statue, the Trust won't have to commission some over priced pretender to do the job. One of the Bevantor already exists. They just have to organise a removalist van. This effort may do an injustice to the tyro. Its a bit light on the tackle

where do you come up with this stuff??? :rofl I'm a little concerned that you compare the Bevanator with the Statue of Dave - but then (and this is said with great respect) you are just a bit of a weirdo.;)

connolly
15th January 2009, 08:35 AM
where do you come up with this stuff??? :rofl I'm a little concerned that you compare the Bevanator with the Statue of Dave - but then (and this is said with great respect) you are just a bit of a weirdo.;)

But you have to admit that young Dave is a dead set ringer for young Bevo

Wardy
15th January 2009, 08:44 AM
But you have to admit that young Dave is a dead set ringer for young Bevo

What - a sculptured slab of marble?

connolly
15th January 2009, 08:48 AM
What a sculptured slab of marble?

Connolly wide open and gets nailed. touche :D

satchmopugdog
15th January 2009, 09:16 AM
You crack me up.....recycling at its best.

Plus in the words of Roy and HG..it would be good for the kiddies...nude football...

Tlk about a marketing ploy...all the tacky souvenier aprons are already made. Stroke of genius.

liz
16th January 2009, 12:19 AM
Was to have been Plugger. But now maybe not. Either way, looks like we might not get any AFL player on schedule in April.

Plugger’s mouth brings artist unstuck - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/mouth-brings-artist-unstuck/2009/01/15/1231608894217.html)

ShockOfHair
16th January 2009, 12:40 AM
What - a sculptured slab of marble?

Nice one:D

The old line about "Aussie Joe" Bugner. "Looks like a Greek statue, but with fewer moves."

ShockOfHair
16th January 2009, 12:48 AM
Was to have been Plugger. But now maybe not. Either way, looks like we might not get any AFL player on schedule in April.

Plugger?s mouth brings artist unstuck - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/mouth-brings-artist-unstuck/2009/01/15/1231608894217.html)

A bummer all round.

Sure, it doesn't look totally like Plugger, but if they wanted an exact copy they could have plaster-casted him.

Now Basil S. saying he may scuttle the whole thing.

??Now we may or may not go ahead and honour that person (Lockett) and that?s a pretty big black mark in my opinion,?? he said

Would never have happened if they'd gone for No. 14. Anyone can do his mouth.

Wardy
16th January 2009, 06:55 AM

Plugger?s mouth brings artist unstuck - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/mouth-brings-artist-unstuck/2009/01/15/1231608894217.html)

You know it really gets on my tits when these arty farty types go on about "compromising myself":rolleyes: crap - fact is for 70 year old sculpture man - he is being paid handsomely to provide a service, which means he should produce the goods that are asked of him by the person PAYING HIM!!! - at 70 he should know better than to have dummy spits when the payment will contribute greatly to his super/pension fund. All they wanted was the lips and the eyes changed - was it really going to kill him to do that? Silly old fart.

Cardinal
16th January 2009, 08:10 AM
Capper and/or Ciggy would make good substitutes and the critical element of surprise would be there for the unveiling

connolly
16th January 2009, 08:34 AM
You know it really gets on my tits when these arty farty types go on about "compromising myself":rolleyes: crap - fact is for 70 year old sculpture man - he is being paid handsomely to provide a sevice, which means he should produce the goods that are asked of him by the person PAYING HIM!!! - at 70 he should know better than to have dummy spits when the payment will contribute greatly to his super/pension fund. All they wanted was the lips and the eyes changed - was it really going to kill him to do that? Silly old fart.

Maybe they should have had Plugger meet this pretender and sort the whole thing out. And the Bevo/Dave option suddenly has legs

Wardy
16th January 2009, 08:36 AM
Maybe they should have had Plugger meet this pretender and sort the whole thing out. And the Bevo/Dave option suddenly has legs

:rofl has legs and other dangly bits too!!! :eek:

Lucky Knickers
16th January 2009, 11:41 AM
My first thought was "it's just NOT BIG ENOUGH"

BSA5
16th January 2009, 12:00 PM
I wanted Kelly anyway. How is it special to honour a bloke that already has a stand named after him at another stadium in a rival city?

Dalai Lama
16th January 2009, 12:24 PM
Tony Lockett?s coat hanger on Sydney?s Peter Caven in 1994 could be sculpted into a action image?
The Fat Boy paid Caven's defensive skills the great, if unwelcome, compliment, of resorting to elbowing him in the head and received an 8-week suspension from the AFL Tribunal. The brutal incident prompted an outcry from Swans coach Ron Barassi and captain Paul Kelly. The SCG should remember the day forever?

connolly
16th January 2009, 12:49 PM
Tony Lockett?s coat hanger on Sydney?s Peter Caven in 1994 could be sculpted into a action image?
The Fat Boy paid Caven's defensive skills the great, if unwelcome, compliment, of resorting to elbowing him in the head and received an 8-week suspension from the AFL Tribunal. The brutal incident prompted an outcry from Swans coach Ron Barassi and captain Paul Kelly. The SCG should remember the day forever?

Caven doesn't why should we?

AnnieH
16th January 2009, 01:24 PM
??Up to a point I will change things,?? said the 70-year-old whose work includes the two bronze diggers on Sydney?s Anzac Bridge. In the end I felt I was compromising myself.??

Two of my most favourite statues in the whole world. Works of art they are!!

I say leave the artist to his business.

Cardinal
16th January 2009, 01:49 PM
How I wish the season would start, then we wouldn't have talk art and could concentrate on important things.

In fact bring on the NAB Cup.

goswannie14
16th January 2009, 05:09 PM
How I wish the season would start, then we wouldn't have talk art and could concentrate on important things.

Now you're just being silly!:p

AnnieH
16th January 2009, 05:18 PM

We're talking yarts!!

ShockOfHair
17th January 2009, 01:44 AM

There's nothing more important at the Sydney Swans than the NAB Cup.

Legs Akimbo
17th January 2009, 08:52 AM
You know it really gets on my tits when these arty farty types go on about "compromising myself":rolleyes: crap - fact is for 70 year old sculpture man - he is being paid handsomely to provide a sevice, which means he should produce the goods that are asked of him by the person PAYING HIM!!! - at 70 he should know better than to have dummy spits when the payment will contribute greatly to his super/pension fund. All they wanted was the lips and the eyes changed - was it really going to kill him to do that? Silly old fart.

Art not really your scene?

Personally, I think the problem with the statue is he gives Plugger 'v' shaped body, but in reality he was very very wide in the chest...and waist - straight up and down. Trying to make Plugger look like the athlete he wasn't.

Primmy
17th January 2009, 08:55 AM
The whole point of this problem is that the artist has got an important bit of Plugger wrong. As we all know, Plugger's eyes never left the drop of the ball until the boot made contact. In the sculpture he is looking off in the distance. Its all wrong.

OK, lets compromise with the mouth, that wasn't part of the actual kick.

The statue is in fact a powerful image, but his eyes are wrong. And it is an important point. They are an important part of his accuracy, why he is the record breaking goal kicking champion of the AFL and why the statue was commissioned in the first place. And that is why the eyes must be changed.

I am with Basil on this issue.

pinkemu
17th January 2009, 08:45 PM

I'm with you Connolly, In the future Bevo may well be immortalised in the hard stuff.

For the Bevo doubters, remember how long it took Kirk to become the legend that he now is.

As for the present, I think Dale Lewis should be cast and set juggling a bottle of shampoo (in place of the Sherrin). A true Swans legend:D

Dalai Lama
20th January 2009, 08:00 AM
Didn't Lie Low Lewis have more gear than a Mack truck?

View from stand
20th January 2009, 01:12 PM
There's nothing more important at the Sydney Swans than the NAB Cup.

I think it should be stated more correctly:

There nothing important at the Sydney Swans about the NAB Cup.

Even the bookies have realised that we do not bother to try in the NAB Cup - the dumb rules they use plus the dreadful locations you can be sent to mean we do not bother.

We are better off letting the coaches contimue their planning for the real footie.

Roll on Round 1!!!

Cardinal
20th January 2009, 01:27 PM
The NAB Cup is more important this year than ever for the following reasons:

-I've never been so footy starved;
-the first game is iin Canberra so I will not have to travel;
-it will be the first hit out for my potential fantasy squad members;
-if you haven't got your bets on and the Swans win against Port they will shorten for September big time; and
-Playfair will amaze.

connolly
20th January 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm with you Connolly, In the future Bevo may well be immortalised in the hard stuff.

For the Bevo doubters, remember how long it took Kirk to become the legend that he now is.

As for the present, I think Dale Lewis should be cast and set juggling a bottle of shampoo (in place of the Sherrin). A true Swans legend:D

All true. The statue of Louie the Fly shouldn't have any problems with the mouth. Just large and open

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd January 2009, 01:09 AM
or two other players who's contribution to the Swans was nothing short of sensational - Daffy & Tingay!;) :p

I'd prefer a Shane Fell one myself.

Why go for the real Capper when you can have the imitation instead? :cool:

Or even better, a Simon Minton-Connell statue. For being the best player in AFL history with two surnames, except for John Peter-Budge that is. :D

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd January 2009, 01:11 AM
The NAB Cup is more important this year than ever for the following reasons:

-I've never been so footy starved;
-the first game is iin Canberra so I will not have to travel;
-it will be the first hit out for my potential fantasy squad members;
-if you haven't got your bets on and the Swans win against Port they will shorten for September big time; and
-Playfair will amaze.

Then he'll have his shot for goal. :o

JF

Bear
23rd January 2009, 11:27 AM
The good news is it's the logical choice in Plugger. Easily the most famous and greatest Swan of the Sydney era.

The bad news is they chose an artist who obviously has no idea about the game of Australian Football. He has done a poor job in the attention to detail stakes - every decent footballer (and picture of) shows them looking at the football when kicking. It's a bad oversight.

If it's not right, don't compromise.

givekidsakick
24th January 2009, 06:43 AM
Whilst Plugger is famous for his goal kicking record most of his career wasn't with the Swans.....Paul Kelly should have been the subject....he was there from start to finish and received the Highest awards in our sport. A true SYDNEY champion.

stellation
24th January 2009, 07:46 AM
I agree I'd rather it wasn't Plugger, Kelly would be a fine choice. Was he the first career Swan since being based in Sydney to win a Brownlow?

Bear
25th January 2009, 10:27 AM
Whilst Plugger is famous for his goal kicking record most of his career wasn't with the Swans.....Paul Kelly should have been the subject....he was there from start to finish and received the Highest awards in our sport. A true SYDNEY champion.

Plugger is famous for a lot more than his goal kicking record. You don't get there with one kick.
I know Plugger won the highest individual awards - Brownlow, Coleman - but THE highest award is a premiership medallion. I may have missed something if Kelly won that???
They both would have probebly got one if Kelly didn't miss Plugger with a simple kick from 15 meters away to put us 5 goals up in the 96 GF... instead the turnover cost a run of goals to North to put them within a point at half time. Oh well...
Kelly was a good player, and what he lacked in skill he made up with courage. He'll get the second statue, but the decision makers have him rightly behind easily the greatest Swan to grace the SCG... and THAT'S the criteria.

pinkemu
25th January 2009, 01:51 PM
Kelly was a good player, and what he lacked in skill he made up with courage. He'll get the second statue, but the decision makers have him rightly behind easily the greatest Swan to grace the SCG... and THAT'S the criteria.

Courage is a skill.

No disrespect to Plugger but Kelly was the greatest Swan to grace the SCG.

connolly
25th January 2009, 02:51 PM
There is a very strong case for Barry Round to be honoured. It would be particularly appropriate because he won a Brownlow with us, captained the club with great courage and dignity through the darkest and worst years of the club, captained us to a pre-season comp win, named in the team of the century and personifies the Bloods spirit of courage in adversity. He also kicked over 190 goals with us which is a testament to his strength and tremendous marking in the forward line. He gave us some credibility when the administration and coaching was a shambles. Has a ruckman ever scored more goals for us? Has a ruckman ever scored more goals when when a team didn't have a game plan, the coach was clueless and he had faint hearted mercanaries playing alongside him. His goal tally is even more remarkable considering that he couldn't kick over a jam tin with a hurricane behind him.

goswannie14
26th January 2009, 09:52 AM
Courage is a skill.I have to disagree, courage is not a skill, it cannot be learned. Either you have courage or you don't. It's a trait rather than a skill.

BSA5
26th January 2009, 10:46 AM
I have to disagree, courage is not a skill, it cannot be learned. Either you have courage or you don't. It's a trait rather than a skill.

Disagree with that. I think you could come up with many instances where people have learnt to put their fears behind them. McVeigh might be one. I think some people are naturally more courageous, just like some people are naturally better kicks, but both are aspects of one's game that can be worked on. Courage is just mostly in the mind, while kicking is mostly in the, er, foot?

givekidsakick
26th January 2009, 08:37 PM
Whilst people talk about THAT point....the plugger point....I can never forget in those dying moments of the game and the ball was heading into bombers forward pocket on the right hand side of the O'Reilly....there were 3 bombers....and and and....the little bloke in the red and white taking them on and getting the ball....sending it pluggers direction. We were gone....a bombers goal looked a cert....Kelly came....and turned the tide. He may not have got a premiership but he had everything. Sometimes, these champs don't get a medal....what about the game where God kicked 14 and the cats lost..no cigar.
I remember Kelly the kid sitting with his mum & dad at the Moore Park bowling.....Kelly epitomises SYDNEY. He wasn't nicknamed Captain Courageous for nothing.

givekidsakick
26th January 2009, 08:52 PM
People's opinions about who are/were the best footballers is very subjective usually based on seeing the games. Age obviously gives a different view.... In my view, the best all round champion I have seen is Paul Kelly. The man with record is Plugger the Thug (Caven) and a champion to boot. The man with the best skills was God.
KELLY SHOULD BE THE SUBJECT of the sculpture.

Bear
27th January 2009, 04:19 PM
People's opinions about who are/were the best footballers is very subjective usually based on seeing the games. Age obviously gives a different view.... In my view, the best all round champion I have seen is Paul Kelly. The man with record is Plugger the Thug (Caven) and a champion to boot. The man with the best skills was God.
KELLY SHOULD BE THE SUBJECT of the sculpture.

The right decision has been made by those in the best position to make it.
Get over it.

Plugger46
27th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Courage is a skill.

No disrespect to Plugger but Kelly was the greatest Swan to grace the SCG.

I disagree.

I loved Kelly, great captain, inspirational, club legend - all of that. But if we're talking football ability, he is so far behind Lockett it isn't funny.

top40
28th January 2009, 09:25 AM
Limiting it to retired players only, Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett are head and shoulders above the rest.

Lockett wasn't just an great player.

Two events reflecting Lockett's achievements at the SCG mark two of the probably the greatest 20 or so events in the 130 year plus history of the Sydney Cricket Ground. (And I include Cricket, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Soccer, the 1938 Commonwealth Games, track cycling, and rock concerts).

First, that Preliminary Final point to get the Swans into the Grand Final in 1996 for the first time in 51 years. (Indeed, a HUGE behind!)

Second, that 1300th goal in 1999. Who would have believed a generation earlier that such an important Australian Rules record would be broken at the SCG!

Kelly remains the only player to play his entire playing career in the state of the New South Wales, and to win a Brownlow and later, to become an AFL Hall of Famer.