PDA

View Full Version : 2nd NAB cup game

johnno
6th February 2009, 12:09 PM
To all melbourne based supporters (no disrespect to Sydney based supporters), have any of you received an email from the swans saying that if they get over the line against Port Adelaide in Canberra than the 2nd round game will be in Melbourne at Optus oval against whoever?

ugg
6th February 2009, 12:18 PM
In the AFL Record it says

Hawthorn/Melbourne v Sydney/Port Adelaide

AAMI Stadium/Visy Park 28 Feb TBC

I'm guessing AAMI will only be used if Port loses, so I guess we're playing at Visy Park (is that Optus Oval's new name?)

ScottH
6th February 2009, 12:42 PM
To all melbourne based supporters (no disrespect to Sydney based supporters), have any of you received an email from the swans saying that if they get over the line against Port Adelaide in Canberra than the 2nd round game will be in Melbourne at Optus oval against whoever?

Yep.

Wishful thinking on their part, or are they actually going to put in, in Rnd1?

goswannie14
6th February 2009, 01:34 PM
If we make it to Princes Park then we will feel right at home. The amount of construction work going on is like the SCG has been for the last 2 years.

ugg
6th February 2009, 01:40 PM
Oops, misread johno's post. According to the Record, the winner of Sydney/Port plays the winner of Geelong/Adelaide at either AAMI or Skilled. All Melbourne matches seem to be scheduled for Telstra Dome.

ShockOfHair
6th February 2009, 01:50 PM
Yep.

Wishful thinking on their part, or are they actually going to put in, in Rnd1?

Another one of Roosy's NAB Cup jokes?

johnno
6th February 2009, 02:13 PM
Oops, misread johno's post. According to the Record, the winner of Sydney/Port plays the winner of Geelong/Adelaide at either AAMI or Skilled. All Melbourne matches seem to be scheduled for Telstra Dome.

Thats what I thought too, but apparently some swans members have received emails saying that the next match (if we win against Port) will be at Optus oval.

ugg
6th February 2009, 02:28 PM
Thats what I thought too, but apparently some swans members have received emails saying that the next match (if we win against Port) will be at Optus oval.
I wouldn't worry too much, we have little chance of winning.

top40
6th February 2009, 03:02 PM
Its now 7 years since the Swans last won a Pre season competition game. Don't hold your breath for Round 2 in 2009.

msb
6th February 2009, 03:58 PM

The e-mail doesnt say that they will be at optus if they win, it says depending on results in the first NAB Cup game against port. I would assume it would be if swans lose then they may go to optus for a practice match. Id be pretty sure the NAB games in melb are at telstra dome

Number 43
6th February 2009, 05:44 PM
yep...if we lose we play at optus oval. got the email. i think they are planning for a loss already......

This year we are excited that the Sydney Swans may be appearing in Melbourne during the pre-season competition - based on results in the NAB Cup the Swans could be scheduled for a game at Optus Oval on Saturday 28 February (*to be confirmed).
Our 2009 events calendar will commence with the ?Meet and Greet? Game Day.
This will take place directly following the pre-season game and will include:

Player and coach appearances and autographs

Photo opportunities

Player interviews

Swans membership and merchandise

and entertainment for the kids with a special appearance from Cyggy!

The highlight of the day will be the Oncology Children?s Foundation GOAL KICKING COMPETITION Our Junior Members will get the opportunity to kick at goal against one of the Swans stars.There are fabulous prizes to be won, including the chance to be Club Mascot for the day!
( * please note that this is currently a tentative date and will be dependent on results in the NAB Cup and is to be used as a guide only.
Members will be notified of all venue details and times on confirmation.)

top40
7th February 2009, 08:36 AM
Its now 7 years since the Swans last won a Pre season competition game. Don't hold your breath for Round 2 in 2009.

The last time the Swans won a Pre Season competition game of any description was on 4th March 2002 when they beat Hawthorn at Princess Park 15-9 (99) to 8-9 (57). However, it is now over a decade since Sydney won a Pre Season competition game under the traditional knock-out format.

Up until season 1999, the Pre Season competition was based on a knock-out format, (as it currently is). For three seasons, (2000-2002 inclusive), the format was a Round Robin one, with each team playing at least three other teams in the Round Robin stage. Since 2003, the Pre Season competition has returned to a traditional knock-out formula.

Now, the Swans? record since 1996 in relation to the knock format stands at:

10 Seasons (1996-1999, 2003-2008)
11 Games: 1 win, and 10 losses.

So the only time in 10 seasons since 1996 that Sydney has actually won a Pre-Season knock-out game was on 13th February, 1999, when they beat Collingwood at Manuka 12-13 (85) to 11-8 (74). (And for the record, they didn?t have a bad Round Robin record during the years 2000-2002, with 6 wins and 4 losses).

Dalai Lama
7th February 2009, 11:47 AM
Having a wager on them winning the NAB Cup may be unwise given those facts above?

top40
8th February 2009, 08:42 AM
Having a wager on them winning the NAB Cup may be unwise given those facts above?

Yeah, TAB has them as the very least favoured team at $41 to win the NAB Cup. Personally, I think they are very short odds for the Swans, and $41 would be more appropriate for them to just win their Round 1 game.

DST
8th February 2009, 04:07 PM
Guys that e-mail is not in preperation of us losing (although I am 100% sure we will).

If we won, we would be playing our next round of NAB Cup game at Visy Park due to Telstra Dome being already booked for the A-League GF. That is based on the Victory hosting the GF (and it is now 99.9% confirmed after last night) so the AFL will lose the venue and the game will be played at Visy.

DST
:D

robbieando
8th February 2009, 09:24 PM
Guys that e-mail is not in preperation of us losing (although I am 100% sure we will).

If we won, we would be playing our next round of NAB Cup game at Visy Park due to Telstra Dome being already booked for the A-League GF. That is based on the Victory hosting the GF (and it is now 99.9% confirmed after last night) so the AFL will lose the venue and the game will be played at Visy.

DST
:D

While it is correct that the A-League GF will be played at TD, if we win our Round 1 match in the NAB Cup we play the winner of Adelaide vs Geelong at either AAMI Stadium or Skilled Stadium. Seems simple where we will play in Round 2 if we win AAMI if the Crows win or Skilled if the Cats win. The NAB Cup game that was effected by the A-League GF was the Collingwood vs Richmond/Freo game.

j s
9th February 2009, 12:51 PM
I didn't get the email but I believe it says "depending on NAB cup results" - no mention of winning as the criteria.

I suspect the Melb office is assuming that we will lose (as usual) and therefore be playing in the Challenge series practice games the following weeks

As the opponent (should we happen to win at Manuka) is either Adelaide or Geelong the criteria for whether AAMI or SS gets used is somewhat obvious