PDA

View Full Version : Sydney ad campaign

Cheer Squad
10th March 2009, 09:10 AM
BigPond Video (http://bigpondvideo.com/SydneySwansTV/112588)

Who is the club targeting with these ads? It sounds like they're either preaching to the converted or trying to retrieve lapsed members.

Whose idea was it to include Iemma, one of the most unpopular premiers we're ever had in NSW?

"What are you prepared to do for the Swans?" - it sounds more like a cry for help from the club than a call to action for new members.

Stars fortuitously align for Swans' fan-only ads - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/richard-hinds/2009/03/09/1236447132864.html)

Maybe this explains it. From the figures quoted in this article, we seem to have dropped a few thousand members in Sydney.

Maybe those price hikes at this point in time weren't such a good idea.

AnnieH
10th March 2009, 09:49 AM
Hatley drove 33,000 Kms.

Jeez son ... I hope you took the company car!!

ScottH
10th March 2009, 09:55 AM
And Kenny was at the 1933 GF?? wow.

AnnieH
10th March 2009, 10:09 AM
And Kenny was at the 1933 GF?? wow.

How old do you reckon Kenny is?

"As old as the woman he's feeling" is not the answer boys!!

iigrover
10th March 2009, 10:28 AM
The same age as Hatley's car?? :D

Cheer Squad
10th March 2009, 10:36 AM
Hatley drove 33,000 Kms.

Talk about a carbon footprint!

ScottH
10th March 2009, 10:52 AM
How old do you reckon Kenny is?

"As old as the woman he's feeling" is not the answer boys!!

Eeeewwww

At least 75-76.

SwansFan1972
10th March 2009, 11:38 AM

Who is the club targeting with these ads? It sounds like they're either preaching to the converted or trying to retrieve lapsed members.

Whose idea was it to include Iemma, one of the most unpopular premiers we're ever had in NSW?

"What are you prepared to do for the Swans?" - it sounds more like a cry for help from the club than a call to action for new members.

Stars fortuitously align for Swans' fan-only ads - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/richard-hinds/2009/03/09/1236447132864.html)

Maybe this explains it. From the figures quoted in this article, we seem to have dropped a few thousand members in Sydney.

Quotes from Baron Hay in the RealFooty article ...

Baron-Hay said the the completion of the SCG redevelopment had enabled the club to pursue memberships sales more aggressively. "With the reduced capacity during construction we didn't have the ability to increase membership greatly and still provide access to casual ticketholders, but we've clearly got the room to do that now," he said.

This is only an issue if there was a waiting list to join - memberships were available to anyone who wanted one during the redevelopment. That should have been a pretty strong clue that there wasn't a long line of casual supporters beating a path to join.

However, the club will hope the advertisements have an immediate impact, with the Swans having sold 17,000 Sydney memberships less than four weeks before their first match here (against Hawthorn at ANZ Stadium on April 4) and struggling to match last year's figure, let alone achieve an increase.

This is a no brainer. The application of the new pricing structure, which gave some people a small discount and others a massive price hike is directly responsible for the fall away in members.

Baron-Hay said he believed the economic conditions were having an impact on membership sales as well as corporate support but the Swans were confident of increasing their membership over the next few years.

Coupled with ridiculous price hikes, the economic environment is the icing on the cake, but trying to say it is the cake is a joke really. The elephant in the room is that the pricing structure was a disaster (it reduced revenue marginally from some supporters, who would have signed on anyway, and pushed others away by raising their prices by 40%).

And being confident of increasing their membership in the next few years? I guess blind faith is as good as any. On what basis can there be ANY confidence about memberships increasing in the next few years? The membership has taken a hit this year (largely of the club's making), so I guess they will be coming off a relatively low base. I suppose having a really low bar to start with means the club won't have to jump very high to clear it - but even that seems like it will be quite a challenge.

j s
10th March 2009, 12:52 PM
Hatley drove 33,000 Kms.

Novated Lease I believe. It was in 2005 The car was new at the start of the season. It was a Holden Vectra which caused some mirth at the Cub Dinner when Pete received a special supporter award ironically sponsored by City Ford.

I clocked up roughly the same miles that year but some 30,000 ft higher and I didn't have to listen to Pete's music collection.

Cardinal
10th March 2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry to ever so slightly divert off topic but I swear I saw Hatley (only just found out his name) with an awesome white satin swan's supporters flag with gold tassles along its edge - anyone familiar with such an item that may or may not exist ??

jono2707
10th March 2009, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=AnnieH;428671]How old do you reckon Kenny is?

Only slightly older than some of the guys on our list....

connolly
10th March 2009, 02:18 PM
And being confident of increasing their membership in the next few years? I guess blind faith is as good as any. On what basis can there be ANY confidence about memberships increasing in the next few years? The membership has taken a hit this year (largely of the club's making), so I guess they will be coming off a relatively low base. I suppose having a really low bar to start with means the club won't have to jump very high to clear it - but even that seems like it will be quite a challenge.

Apparently these clowns don't read the economy. We are probably headed for a five to ten year depression. And these idiots increased prices and expect that membership will grow whilst the crazy gang in Melbourne impose a new club in the western suburbs. We need effective drug testing for club CEO's as well as players.

bandwagon
10th March 2009, 06:37 PM
off topic - does anyone know when the current AFL/television sponsorship deal runs out? I'm pretty sure the club gets more income from its share of this than memberships. Hope we have no debt!

Old Royboy
10th March 2009, 07:41 PM
Despite the gloomy economic situation, there is still plenty of interest from Sydneysiders in the Swans.

I changed jobs in the off season, and for the first time in 8 years am in an office environment. A short chat with one lady in my immediate group prompted her to buy her hubby a membership as a Christmas present. In my group of 10, no less than four others have expressed interest in coming to a game. Those four are one Aussi, a Kiwi, a Sri Lankan and a Philo cross Italian. (typical Sydney X section!)

I can accommodate this because I have a non reserved Noble Stand (Red Zone) membership, so I can use visitors passes to get them in and introduce them to the game. If the product is good and they enjoy it, they are all potential Swans fans. Mind, I will be careful not to bring them to games against clubs like St Kilda or Adelaide ? because the product could well be crap and turn them off for good.

But most cannot do this because having a reserved seat restricts the ability of members to bring friends and introduce them to the game. I know I said it before, but the expanded capacity of the SCG gave the opportunity to sell reasonably priced ?non reserved? memberships in either the concourse or the Trumper Stand. That would have reduced the bleeding of membership numbers, but more importantly given many more Swans members the opportunity to bring newbies to see our game.

Advertising may bring some more members, but the effect will be limited by dumb and greedy membership policy.

573v30
10th March 2009, 08:40 PM
off topic - does anyone know when the current AFL/television sponsorship deal runs out? I'm pretty sure the club gets more income from its share of this than memberships. Hope we have no debt!

I think the current deal runs out after the 2011 season.

Bas
10th March 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm glad someone brought thios up. Dicky Hindleg from the Herald wrote about it in the paper this morning.

The ad is terrible. It shows three unsual supporters of the Swans. How as a non supporter is that going to entice me to going?

It's a very far cry from the I'd like to see that! ad campaign.

The ad could also be saying:

1. Swans support individuals with grossly unhealthy waistlines;

2. Save your money on Church weddings, do it for free at the SCG before/during or after the game;

3. Trouble with selecting a child's name? - Barry is now the new Jack or Lachlan.

The Mad Hatter should ditch the car and walk, what a great documentary on the Swans own Biggest Loser - I went to 22 games and lost 40 kilo's. Two walks of the Nullabor will do that to you.

Cheer Squad
10th March 2009, 09:14 PM
The ad is terrible. It shows three unsual supporters of the Swans. How as a non supporter is that going to entice me to going?

I noticed that too. After seeing the ad you could be forgiven for thinking that Swans supporters are kind of weird. It makes me wonder who gave the brief to the advertising agency.

laughingnome
10th March 2009, 10:26 PM
I noticed that too. After seeing the ad you could be forgiven for thinking that Swans supporters are kind of weird. It makes me wonder who gave the brief to the advertising agency.

If you ask me, the NRL ad for 2009 memberships is much slicker. It tells those that are already fans the BENEFITS of becoming a member of your football club. Surely the eggheads who dreamed up this ad could have thought about selling the Membership Product to fans, enticing them to sign up.

Wait. Just remembered the package is terrible. Oh yeah.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with criss-crossing the country to follow your team, nor the waistline that develops eating pies and drinking coke.

Bas
10th March 2009, 10:29 PM
If he did it on a novated lease, what a great way to get the km's up. However, I think I would only ever try it once.

DST
10th March 2009, 10:39 PM
If you ask me, the NRL ad for 2009 memberships is much slicker. It tells those that are already fans the BENEFITS of becoming a member of your football club. Surely the eggheads who dreamed up this ad could have thought about selling the Membership Product to fans, enticing them to sign up.

Wait. Just remembered the package is terrible. Oh yeah.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with criss-crossing the country to follow your team, nor the waistline that develops eating pies and drinking coke.

Slick commercials, problem is they don't have any members or even people turning up to their games.

Oh and the package aint terrible, in fact the concept of a larger more general admission type area with a premium placed on the better seats is a very sound and shrewed business decision. It gives the club more flexibility and allows them to attract supporters to a game here and there that might not have been able to previously due to the seating structure.

The problem has been with the implementation, they should have not gone for such a steep increase in prices across the categories this year due to current circumstances, would have been better to do it in stages. Limit the GA zones first and lessen the price across the reserved seats before moving up slowley over the course of the next 3 years. Thus keeping the total revenue base while getting a bigger GA zone which they want.

DST
:D

Dalai Lama
11th March 2009, 07:57 AM
Cyggy actually talks?

He never said anything when mounted by Half Cat at Skilled near the Moorabool Street wing during the pre game in '08?

Wardy
11th March 2009, 09:03 AM
Cyggy actually talks?

He never said anything when mounted by Half Cat at Skilled near the Moorabool Street wing during the pre game in '08?

they were having a private "special" moment, you know the type where actions spoke louder than words- know what I'm sayin?;)

AnnieH
11th March 2009, 10:11 AM
If he did it on a novated lease, what a great way to get the km's up. However, I think I would only ever try it once.

I think Peter's done it more than once.

stellation
11th March 2009, 10:23 AM
I don't have a novated lease, but the efforts guys I work with to get their kms up always makes me chuckle. I know of one fellow in my group who primarily works remotely from his hobby farm in a sleepy hollow and drives around a 3 hour drive to a major city twice a week, he is a car nut and has a big fancy classic car that he owns outright and looked forward to enjoying using on the drive... then he got his wife a runabout car on a novated lease... now he drives the runabout in to the major city to rack up the kms and she drives the fancy car to the shops!

Wardy
11th March 2009, 10:37 AM
I don't have a novated lease, but the efforts guys I work with to get their kms up always makes me chuckle. I know of one fellow in my group who primarily works remotely from his hobby farm in a sleepy hollow and drives around a 3 hour drive to a major city twice a week, he is a car nut and has a big fancy classic car that he owns outright and looked forward to enjoying using on the drive... then he got his wife a runabout car on a novated lease... now he drives the runabout in to the major city to rack up the kms and she drives the fancy car to the shops!

My brother in law was rung by his Doctor - now when you get calls like that you think the worse if the bloke keeps leaving messages - "please ring me ugently" so he finally rang him - the Doctor wanted BIL to swap cars with him for a month so as Brother in law could rack up a few thousand kms for him on his novated leased BMW. So the Dr had the Landcruiser (and got pinged for speeding!), BIL had the BMW and all were happy!
Still I reckon 2 trips by road to Perth in a year is a huge effort - but geting married at a Swans game is a bit cheap really - mind you I guess the cost of Footy food is pretty close to that of a reception venue.

ROK Lobster
11th March 2009, 10:37 AM
My brother in law was rung by his Doctor - now when you get calls like that you think the worse if the bloke keeps leaving messages - "please ring me ugently" so he finally rang him - the Doctor wanted BIL to swap cars with him for a month so as Brother in law could rack up a few thousand kms for him on his novated leased BMW. So the Dr had the Landcruiser (and got pinged for speeding!), BIL had the BMW and all were happy!
Still I reckon 2 trips by road to Perth in a year is a huge effort - but geting married at a Swans game is a bit cheap really - mind you I guess the cost of Footy food is pretty close to that of a reception venue.
Footy talk only. Sheesh.

Wardy
11th March 2009, 10:40 AM
Footy talk only. Sheesh.

sorry Rok - me bad - but Stell started it!!!!:)

I also think that naming your twins Paul & Kelly is a bit odd to - and then there was Kenny!

ROK Lobster
11th March 2009, 11:24 AM
sorry Rok - me bad - but Stell started it!!!!:)

I also think that naming your twins Paul & Kelly is a bit odd to - and then there was Kenny!I know a bloke who knows a bloke who named his twins Matthew and Hayden.

Wardy
11th March 2009, 11:25 AM
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who named his twins Matthew and Hayden.

some people!!!

Dalai Lama
11th March 2009, 02:24 PM
they were having a private "special" moment, you know the type where actions spoke louder than words- know what I'm sayin?;)

i think know - but he could've at least asked Half Cat "what have you done for the Swans lately?"

connolly
11th March 2009, 03:05 PM

A much more intertesting campaign would have highlighted the divorces and relationship break ups that have occored at the game (shiela gives the heave ho to effete dull partner who thinks Bevo is not worth his place in the team for eg) and the pick ups and one match stands at the bar at three quarter time. Lets get some reality and razzle dazzle going!

Wardy
11th March 2009, 03:15 PM
A much more intertesting campaign would have highlighted the divorces and relationship break ups that have occored at the game (shiela gives the heave ho to effete dull partner who thinks Bevo is not worth his place in the team for eg) and the pick ups and one match stands at the bar at three quarter time. Lets get some reality and razzle dazzle going!

I think you should share this idea with the club - hell why not share you're own experiences - get the ball rolling as it were. So come on spill!!!
One match stands at 3/4 time - geez a bit too quick for my liking!;-)

AnnieH
11th March 2009, 03:40 PM

One match stands.
They have names for boys like you.

Wardy
11th March 2009, 03:49 PM
One match stands.

yeah and its not complimentary either....;)

j s
11th March 2009, 04:03 PM
One match stands at 3/4 time
Is that the real reason some people leave during the final Q?

j s
11th March 2009, 04:06 PM
I think Peter's done it more than once.
As the Ad says - twice in the one year! But not since I think.

It will be interesting to see how many "away" games he gets to this year now that he resides south of the border.

AnnieH
11th March 2009, 05:08 PM
As the Ad says - twice in the one year! But not since I think.

It will be interesting to see how many "away" games he gets to this year now that he resides south of the border.

The Sydney "home" games ARE his "away" games now.

j s
12th March 2009, 12:21 AM
The Sydney "home" games ARE his "away" games now.
exactly the point I was making ;)

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 04:59 AM
Hatley drove 33,000 Kms.

Nope. Was mine back then.

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:00 AM
Talk about a carbon footprint!

More or less than flying tho?

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:02 AM
Novated Lease I believe. It was in 2005 The car was new at the start of the season. It was a Holden Vectra which caused some mirth at the Cub Dinner when Pete received a special supporter award ironically sponsored by City Ford.

I clocked up roughly the same miles that year but some 30,000 ft higher and I didn't have to listen to Pete's music collection.

Actually it was 2004 amd was not a lease - it was an outright purchase. In 2006 I got a company car (but they only paid for fuel in NSW - but at least that covered Bris and almost all fuel to Melb games).

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:03 AM
Sorry to ever so slightly divert off topic but I swear I saw Hatley (only just found out his name) with an awesome white satin swan's supporters flag with gold tassles along its edge - anyone familiar with such an item that may or may not exist ??

Not me. Don't own one and "gold tassles" - DEFINITELY not me! ;)

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:04 AM

After 2011 season. And yes we're debt free I believe.

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:07 AM
I'm glad someone brought thios up. Dicky Hindleg from the Herald wrote about it in the paper this morning.

It's a very far cry from the I'd like to see that! ad campaign.

The ad could also be saying:

1. Swans support individuals with grossly unhealthy waistlines;

2. Save your money on Church weddings, do it for free at the SCG before/during or after the game;

3. Trouble with selecting a child's name? - Barry is now the new Jack or Lachlan.

The Mad Hatter should ditch the car and walk, what a great documentary on the Swans own Biggest Loser - I went to 22 games and lost 40 kilo's. Two walks of the Nullabor will do that to you.

I dunno who you are BUT next time say it to my face instead on anonymously on a web forum. Or don't you have the "guts" to own your own comments?

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:10 AM

"He" didn't. "He" did it cos it was a good way to see "his" country AND support "his" club at the same time. Also to support some little townships along the way. Rather than flying everywhere which is like catching an elevator from one floor (city) to another - from concrete jungle to concrete jungle. Road trips are FUN.

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:13 AM
Still I reckon 2 trips by road to Perth in a year is a huge effort

And 2 in 6 weeks even more-so!

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 05:21 AM
Can someone email me an MP4/MP2/WMV of the file as I want to be able to put it up on youtube - a coupla friends overseas wanna watch it but AFL overseas is a pay site (well done Telstra/AFL! great way to grow the game).

EDIT: The Club has done it! They have their own youtube channel now ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/thesydneyswans

Cheer Squad
12th March 2009, 07:07 AM
More or less than flying tho?

I'm not sure. It would interesting to know the answer. Airlines can amortise their carbon footprint with offset programs.

goswannie14
12th March 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure. It would interesting to know the answer. Airlines can amortise their carbon footprint with offset programs.
IMO, using the car has a carbon footprint, however, the plane was going to be in the air any way, so to use it would not have added to your personal carbon footprint in the same way as using a car would. So, in this example, to use the plane would have had a lesser carbon footprint than to use the car.

CJK
12th March 2009, 07:23 AM
9 posts is a row??

I call SPAMBOT alert.

connolly
12th March 2009, 09:31 AM
I think you should share this idea with the club - hell why not share you're own experiences - get the ball rolling as it were. So come on spill!!!
One match stands at 3/4 time - geez a bit too quick for my liking!;-)

Only the regular argument with the ex over vociferous barracking. But really the ad is dismal. Perhaps they could have featured the little lass from our way who is the grandaughter of a local rugby league champ who has taken up the great game, kicked two sausage rolls in her first run, will be playing on the SCG (something her grand dad never did) and will have the whole tribe (including grand dad who swore he would never watch a game of AFL) along for the game. Maybe the little girl could be featured having a kick with young Jack, Bevo, LRT, Murphy and the Moose. Something like that to give a real interest and a contrast to RL - a game that is always helping the police with their inquiries.

connolly
12th March 2009, 09:33 AM
One match stands.

Yes, yes have heard them all. Quite unfairly i might add:eek:

AnnieH
12th March 2009, 11:00 AM
Only the regular argument with the ex over vociferous barracking. But really the ad is dismal. Perhaps they could have featured the little lass from our way who is the grandaughter of a local rugby league champ who has taken up the great game, kicked two sausage rolls in her first run, will be playing on the SCG (something her grand dad never did) and will have the whole tribe (including grand dad who swore he would never watch a game of AFL) along for the game. Maybe the little girl could be featured having a kick with young Jack, Bevo, LRT, Murphy and the Moose. Something like that to give a real interest and a contrast to RL - a game that is always helping the police with their inquiries.

... helping the police with their enquiries!!

Come and clean out the coffee that was just sprayed all over my computer will ya!!

Hilarious.

Wardy
12th March 2009, 12:45 PM

yeah yeah all very admirable - we want the gossip of those who's relationships have gone down the tube because of their passionate, if not just little scary, love for the Swans. C'mon connolly if you spill the beans, you may be better understood by the masses rather than everyone thinking of you as some dead set Bevan obsessed stalker (but I say that with the greatest love and respect of course!) ;) :D I'm still perplexed though as to Why Morry Enema was in the advertisment - I know that he's finding it hard to get a gig anywhere these days, but why have that twerp in a Swans ad - PULEASE!!!:confused:

Cardinal
12th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Not me. Don't own one and "gold tassles" - DEFINITELY not me! ;)

I swear the flag exist somewhere - I have only seen it on tv, it had shiny material and a QBE logo on it somewhere and I seem to recall the gold woven threads along the edges.

ShockOfHair
12th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe the little girl could be featured having a kick with young Jack, Bevo, LRT, Murphy and the Moose. Something like that to give a real interest and a contrast to RL - a game that is always helping the police with their inquiries.

Yeah! The weird diversity of the Swans is one of its best things. You could add Orreal the ex-volleyballer, White from basketball. Kicking end to end with a little girl, or a whole team of kiddies in red and white.

See. If they'd asked us they would have saved on the creative cost of the ad as well.

AnnieH
12th March 2009, 12:59 PM
I swear the flag exist somewhere - I have only seen it on tv, it had shiny material and a QBE logo on it somewhere and I seem to recall the gold woven threads along the edges.

Could it be the premiership flag you're thinking of?

Cardinal
12th March 2009, 01:04 PM
Could it be the premiership flag you're thinking of?

Definitely not a premiership flag although I'd swap two gold tassled flags for another of those.

laughingnome
12th March 2009, 02:00 PM
I call SPAMBOT alert.

Bots don't sign up 6 years before posting.

peterh_oz
12th March 2009, 03:00 PM
IMO, using the car has a carbon footprint, however, the plane was going to be in the air any way, so to use it would not have added to your personal carbon footprint in the same way as using a car would. So, in this example, to use the plane would have had a lesser carbon footprint than to use the car.

I agree, but it wouldn't be in the air if people didn't fly as often. And on many of the trips I had up to 3 passengers hence reducing the number of airline passengers and contributing towards one less flight per day. Or at least reducing the weight of the flight (4 people + 4 luggage) and thus the fuel usage. And cars on an open highway spew out less carbon per km than in the city, and also at a much less dangerous (for the planet) altitude than a plane.

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th March 2009, 07:22 PM

I did about the same that season as well. Only missed Saints final that year (& nearly lost my job in doing so, as I was booked on the 10am flight that day)

I reckon Peter's music collection went off. We'd listen to Rex until we got to Albury. We'd often be in hysterics. Then as it got dark we'd put on the dance music & crank the sound up. Albury-Sydney would fly by on Air Hatley. The cows never seemed to mind too much. If we left at 2ish we'd be in Newtown by 11 without fail.

He ain't got wheels this time but said he could absolutely consider driving a Swans supporters bus up to Sydney for home games this year. (Hint Mr Morwood,hint! ;) )

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th March 2009, 07:44 PM

Wasn't clever at this time given the types who'll abandon ship when their cosmic biorhythms are not aligned correctly in Season 09 etc etc. But I actually like the advertising campaign. It plugs loyalty & commitment to the team. It sells the notion of "belonging", hopefully through think & thin.It not only sells the team but the culture of making the effort to support the team.

Some of the club's advertising campaigns have been downright strange over recent years ("Go to let go!" WTF?! :confused: ). But I like this actually.

It is not as if plugging the team will necessarily bring huge dividends over the next couple of the years.....but rebuilding is a process the club MUST attend to sooner rather than later. And I think the club is strong enough to tough these times out these days (touch wood).

JF