PDA

View Full Version : My new second team.....

CureTheSane
26th March 2009, 07:57 PM
..... been a while since I've really had an kind of passion for seeing any other team than the Swans win.

Port Adelaide were my second team for a while.
Just because everyone hated them, and more than that they hated that I followed 2 interstate teams.
Then PA won the flag and I lost interest.
St.Kilda were next up, I always sympathised that they had such a poor record with flags, and my dad supports them but it's hard to follow a team which is it's own worst enemy.

So now I have a new second team.
The Tigers.
Primarily because of Cousins, who I hereby change his nickname from "cuz" to "cub"
I'm sure someone has already done that, but I'll lay claim to being the first anyway...

Go Tiges... :)

CureTheSane
26th March 2009, 09:30 PM
Like a typical Richmond supporter, I'm already off that bandwagon.

And like most 13 year old girls I'm gonna pick the team of the moment to follow as my second team.
Carlton. :)

Xie Shan
26th March 2009, 10:40 PM
Ye of little faith!

To be honest, I'm relieved now it's over and it looks like Cuz will be out for a while with a hamstring injury (not that I didn't wish him all the best in his comeback, quite the contrary) but the hype has been ridiculous and it's been an unnecessary distraction for a young, improving team. So the experiment hasn't paid off. It was worth a shot, anyhow. I still think they're a team on the rise, probably not this year, but I'm sure the young Tiger midfielders will learn a lot from Cuz's experience and footy smarts on the training track even if he doesn't get back out on the park. And if he plays good footy for them later in the year, well that's a bonus.

Wardy
27th March 2009, 07:00 AM
But whilst the hype has been astounding - what an advertisement it has been for the game. The clash between Judd (the goody two shoes hero) & Cousins (the fallen and now rehabilitated drug addict) had it all, and whilst the end result was a thrashing, it still produced what the AFL wanted - that is alot of bums on seats. I would think, where the match was shown live - it would have got huge TV ratings. The AFL would be right chuffed about that. In the meantime David Gallup from the NRL will be be as jealous as all get out and may be seeking councel from Vlad and the minstrels (and thats a scary thought eh???);)

givekidsakick
27th March 2009, 08:39 AM
But whilst the hype has been astounding - what an advertisement it has been for the game. The clash between Judd (the goody two shoes hero) & Cousins (the fallen and now rehabilitated drug addict) had it all, and whilst the end result was a thrashing, it still produced what the AFL wanted - that is alot of bums on seats. I would think, where the match was shown live - it would have got huge TV ratings. The AFL would be right chuffed about that. ;)

And the best that they could do was put it on at 11.15.... how @@@@@@ is that. Skat I hate the way they treat us with the TV coverage.

givekidsakick
27th March 2009, 08:41 AM
And the best that they could do was put it on at 11.15.... how @@@@@@ is that. Skat I hate the way they treat us with the TV coverage.

I'm filthy that those @@@@heads Carlton had a win....the team I hate most.

Wardy
27th March 2009, 08:49 AM
I dont have Foxtel so went to my mums - sat back in the Smoky Dawson catapult chair and was dead excited about it. I thought Richmond looked good in the first minute and then Richo hit the post and I then got that "oh no feeling". Richmond were god awful, Carlton were good (well the new kids were sensational) But I did love the fastness of the game, but lost interest at half time so went home. managed to get a very crackly ABC coverage from Melbourne on the wireless and when the Tiges got to within 40 and Mark McClure said" its not over yet" then Fev kicked a goal - I thought hmm, perhaps beddy byes was a better option. Was astonished to hear on the 5am news that in the end the Blues won by 83!!!

Mr Magoo
27th March 2009, 12:05 PM
My favourite second teams are the waratahs and the eels. :D

There is no other AFL team that raises any passion but if we arent to win it, I would like to see someone who hasnt won it for a long time (or before in the case of fremantle) get up. So go the bulldogs, the dockers, the saints , the demons and the tigers

laughingnome
27th March 2009, 12:23 PM
The world loves an underdog.

CureTheSane
27th March 2009, 04:10 PM
The world loves an underdog.

That's why 90% of Victorians were behind the Swans in the 05 GF

I can't do the Dirty Dongs since, well, they were dirty dogs....

But I've settled on Carlton this year as my team to follow when I don't get to see the Swans play.
Kinda sad that it's come to having to pick a team to sort of follow because of the lack of access to the Swans on a week to week basis.
To be honest I haven't even looked up how much Swans will be on Vic TV this year.
I'm just assuming it's a fairly low % of games, and that's what they get for screwing everything up with the Swans and Vic based supporters.

goswannie14
27th March 2009, 04:13 PM
That's why 90% of Victorians were behind the Swans in the 05 GF

I can't do the Dirty Dongs since, well, they were dirty dogs....

But I've settled on Carlton this year as my team to follow when I don't get to see the Swans play.
Kinda sad that it's come to having to pick a team to sort of follow because of the lack of access to the Swans on a week to week basis.
To be honest I haven't even looked up how much Swans will be on Vic TV this year.
I'm just assuming it's a fairly low % of games, and that's what they get for screwing everything up with the Swans and Vic based supporters.

About 6 games IIRC, including tomorrow night.

Xie Shan
28th March 2009, 10:47 AM
On a slightly related note, Tim Lane and Robert Walls should not be allowed to commentate together on Carlton games in future if the Blues do turn out to be the real deal this year...

Richo looked very good though, trim and fit. N.Brown looks in good shape too. Watched the first quarter on replay and the potential is there, not sure whether they'll finish above their customary position of ninth this year but I don't think Carlton are an 83-point better team.

givekidsakick
28th March 2009, 10:49 AM
The one playing Carlton!

ShockOfHair
9th April 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm up for St Kilda right now. Every game they win makes our 1st round loss look better.

CureTheSane
9th April 2009, 04:03 PM
My second team is kicking butt.
But still, in the end, all that really matters is that Collingwood lose on a week to week basis.

And a big hello to Ruda :)

cruiser
11th April 2009, 03:04 PM
I feel so nauseus listening to all this absurd talk after just two games about St Kilda being premiership material that I actually want the Evils to beat them today. Actually, a draw would be my most preferred result - it would piss off all their supporters and fawning commentators.

Ruda Wakening
14th April 2009, 09:57 AM
The one playing Carlton!

Same.

Hello CTS!

CureTheSane
14th April 2009, 06:14 PM
One of my closest friends is a Colliwobbles supporter.
He hates that term, particularly when I use it all night.
We used to go up to Sydney every year for the Wobbles Vs Swans game which was usually at Homebush.
More about the drinking and fun than the footy though.

One year we were at the Coogee Bay Hotel and we crashed at around 4am.
At 4:30 am the fire alarm went off.
One of us got up to see if we had to leave.
The rest went back to sleep.
Then the alarm went off 15 minutes later, and then again, and then every 15 minutes until 6:30am.
Turns out there was some kind of electrical fault.
But we were still pretty pissed off.
The didn't give us any discount either, so that was the end of that little hotel.
Which was a good thing as it turned out that there was a chance that they were pooing in ice cream or something from memory.

This year we are heading to Hong Kong and Koh Samui for our party trip.
No footy there, but I'm thinking we'll deal with missing out on the games somehow.