PDA

View Full Version : ECE Scholarships

Jacks
7th April 2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations to Andrew Polkinghorne and Josh Shepherd on receiving the ECE Base Course Management Scholarships for 2009. Polks is a former Baulko junior and was last years ECE reserves B & F. Josh has been at the club for 2 years after coming from Penrith and won last years U/18 premier cup B & F. Martin Karafalis another promising junior received travel assistance to help with the trip from the central coast each week. Martin is in his second year with the club. Good luck to all three guys this season.
More details are available on th ECE website.

DLH
8th April 2009, 01:38 AM
Josh has been at the club for 2 years after coming from Penrith

Gee, who would have thought it eh? :rolleyes:

Sometimes
8th April 2009, 01:39 PM
Gee, who would have thought it eh? :rolleyes:

This is slightly misleading, he actually came from the Mountain Lions u16s.

Doormat
8th April 2009, 04:08 PM
One question where did the lions come from?
Give you a clue it was from 2-3 merged teams from out west:D
You guys are never misleading @ EC never:eek:

This is slightly misleading, he actually came from the Mountain Lions u16s.

Sometimes
8th April 2009, 04:13 PM
One question where did the lions come from?
Give you a clue it was from 2-3 merged teams from out west:D
You guys are never misleading @ EC never:eek:

haha yes i know this (emu plains/blue mountains, played against them), but at the time there was no u18 pathway anyway (penrith/norwest team had not been created until closer to the season). not that it's really relevant anyway

Doormat
8th April 2009, 05:58 PM
Another promising junior received travel assistance to help with the trip from the central coast each week.

Is that what you call it now ?travel assistance payment" ? TAP?
Can only imagine what the kid is on per game. He would be the highest paid player in the comp based on your TAP:confused:
WhereIS states that is 241km @ 3 hours from Rouse Hill. That?s a 6 hour round trip. Hope you make him go the back way to the new ground. Just remember about those carbon omissions.:eek:

Also never knew that Muswellbrook was on the Central Coast?
Surely you?re not trying to mislead us again. Tell me it isn?t true:p

haha yes i know this (emu plains/blue mountains, played against them), but at the time there was no u18 pathway anyway (penrith/norwest team had not been created until closer to the season). not that it's really relevant anyway

Sometimes
8th April 2009, 07:03 PM
Another promising junior received travel assistance to help with the trip from the central coast each week.

Is that what you call it now ?travel assistance payment" ? TAP?
Can only imagine what the kid is on per game. He would be the highest paid player in the comp based on your TAP:confused:
WhereIS states that is 241km @ 3 hours from Rouse Hill. That?s a 6 hour round trip. Hope you make him go the back way to the new ground. Just remember about those carbon omissions.:eek:

Also never knew that Muswellbrook was on the Central Coast?
Surely you?re not trying to mislead us again. Tell me it isn?t true:p

It's actually Aberdeen, just north of Muswellbrook, but about the same distance as Central Coast but further inland.

Northern_Swan
8th April 2009, 08:58 PM
It's actually Aberdeen, just north of Muswellbrook, but about the same distance as Central Coast but further inland.

ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!

Aberdeen to Bruce Purser: 239km or 3hrs 32 min
Central Coast (Gosford) to Bruce Purser: 80km or 1hr 18 min

Sauce: Google Maps

You, my friend, are full of it!!!!!!

Aberdeen is directly inland from Forster. Directly inland from the Central coast is Lithgow. Someone's been feeding you bull@@@@ tablets

Sometimes
8th April 2009, 09:42 PM
ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!

Aberdeen to Bruce Purser: 239km or 3hrs 32 min
Central Coast (Gosford) to Bruce Purser: 80km or 1hr 18 min

Sauce: Google Maps

You, my friend, are full of it!!!!!!

Aberdeen is directly inland from Forster. Directly inland from the Central coast is Lithgow. Someone's been feeding you bull@@@@ tablets

My mistake, inland from North Coast.

Sauce: BBQ thanks champ.

DLH
9th April 2009, 01:27 PM
The sooner some sort of zoning system is implemented at the U/18 level the better.

Doormat
9th April 2009, 04:21 PM
What gets me DLH, both clubs in question Uni & EC have boards who allow these decisions to go ahead. These faceless souls must be stopped for the betterment of the Sydney AFL.

What makes it even more frustrating both have paid staff who are allowed to go out & poach these kids. :mad:

The sooner some sort of zoning system is implemented at the U/18 level the better.

Jacks
9th April 2009, 05:09 PM
Not that it was the purpose of my original post but I would have thought that if there was zoning in place at least 2 out of the three possibly three would potentially have been zoned to East Coast anyway as the closest Premier Division Club. I am not sure. All I was trying to do is recognise that these guys had been able to receive some reward for their work over the years with the club.
I know we all have our own agendas and we see the competition from within our own clubs and that has it's place and I applaud clubs for fighting for survival as I have stated though I was purely interested in acknowledging the efforts of some players that I have had involvment with over the years.
I suppose I am actually not surprised that the thread took the direction it did as it seems there are some clubs that are unable to be mentioned on here without stimulating the same tired responses.

Norris Lurker
9th April 2009, 05:11 PM
Not sure whether a zoning system would help in this instance. No Sydney AFL club would be given the Upper Hunter as their zone.

Assuming the kid doesn't have his license yet, his parents must be keen for him to make it as a footballer to drive all that way every week. Must be costing them a fortune.

Doormat
9th April 2009, 05:14 PM
No Norris costing ECE a fortune.:D

Not sure whether a zoning system would help in this instance. No Sydney AFL club would be given the Upper Hunter as their zone.

Assuming the kid doesn't have his license yet, his parents must be keen for him to make it as a footballer to drive all that way every week. Must be costing them a fortune.

DLH
9th April 2009, 05:33 PM
Forgive the "tired response" but when it's one of the major issues effecting the ongoing viability of your footy club, you'd probably see it differently.

I'm sure the $2000 will buy a lot of petrol anyway.

Sometimes
9th April 2009, 08:20 PM

yeah his parents drive him down every weekend and at least one training session per week, if not two

Jacks
9th April 2009, 09:29 PM
DLH it was not your response I was refering to (this is why I am not a fan of electronic media) and I am mindful of Penrith's problems in maintaining players. I am no longer directly involved with the Eagles and therefore do not know how things are done now. I was however coach of the U/18's when Josh came to the club and I can say that at that time he was not approached by myself to come over and was not made any promises to get him to stay.
I understand your situation and actually agree with most of your ideas. However good young players are always going to want to play at the highest level that they can and Premier clubs are always going to try and take advantage of it.
Lets hope that the push into Western Sydney can bring the boost in numbers that is being talked about and that the struggling grass roots clubs in the west can benefit from it. Time will tell.

ShortHalfHead
9th April 2009, 10:41 PM
DLH it was not your response I was refering to (this is why I am not a fan of electronic media) and I am mindful of Penrith's problems in maintaining players. I am no longer directly involved with the Eagles and therefore do not know how things are done now. I was however coach of the U/18's when Josh came to the club and I can say that at that time he was not approached by myself to come over and was not made any promises to get him to stay.

Josh came to the first training run with the Rams 18's but was turned off when he only saw a handful of kids at training. He then went to ECE and saw they had a team and stayed there. Appreciate and know full well he wasn't poached. How things have changed in the last two years.
Josh kept on winning best and fairest at club and regional level but never got a start at rep level dominated by the Starz players, many of whom weren't worth a cracker, but had dads on the coaching/managing staff.
The year Josh joined ECE was when Penrith and Nor-West merged in the 18's a couple of weeks before the start of the comp.
Now it is open slather with the poachers nowadays which is pretty sad. Worse still they always seem to play their challenge cup games on another day to the Prems and stack the side to beat Penrith....and even encourage the Prem Cup players to play against their old teamates. On a happier note, Penrith have a 5-0 record against them in the last two years despite the stackings ! I am sure they will be at it again on June 26 with their Prems playing on the 25th.
I watched the 18's Grand Final last year and was very surprised when Josh S gave a finger to the crowd when he made a mistake. He certainly never acted like that when he was with the Mountain Lions. They must teach that kinda stuff over at East Poach.

The Insider
11th April 2009, 01:14 AM
Shorthalfhead, that was a juvenile and ill-conceived reply. If you want to be spiteful and catty, save it for face-to-face contact.

In my humble opinion, this board has gone downhill in the last few months, when every tom, DICK and harry has tried to stir the pot by starting bitchy rumours and commenting with biased relpies. Have a think to yourself, if your comment doesn't add anything to Sydney footy or the Sydney footy public, (which needs every helping hand it can get) put it to rest. No one here gives a proverbial flying @@@@@@, how you have been hard done by in the Sydney AFL. Most, if not everyone, involved is trying to improve the standard of Sydney footy, so it is not the joke it has been for my entire existence as a player/supporter.

My two cents, whether you agree or disagree.

ShortHalfHead
11th April 2009, 06:28 AM
Biggest load of dribble I have heard for a long time, Insider.
Gave you a background on someone, not a rumour! If you can't see that, seek help. Please point out any wrong facts I have stated.
And answer me one question. Do you think that clubs because of their financial status and full time employees, can improve the Sydney competition by continually hitting smaller clubs to knock off their talent?

PS. You talk about being spiteful and catty. What's is your problem with Balmain?

Doormat
16th April 2009, 12:54 PM
Spot on SHH
They can continually try and deflect as much as they want. But history shows the standards they beam as a club aren?t to be followed. Remember they are paying a player under 18 to travel 3 hours & 241km ONE WAY to get to Rouse Hill. On top of that they poach kids at least 30-50km away from Rouse Hill a proven fact.

From Balmain website:-
Jarred Mobbs, a former Baulkham Hills junior:eek: , who only last month played in the Sydney Swans Reserve grade practice match is also a
youngster of great promise. FYI, he was also named as BOG in premier division v Campbelltown. Believe he is 17 playing senior football.
Now that is trying to better the standard of Sydney football & the player!:rolleyes:

Isn?t Baulkham Hills one of the feeder clubs in the Norwest Alliance? Hypocrites!;)

Biggest load of dribble I have heard for a long time, Insider.
Gave you a background on someone, not a rumour! If you can't see that, seek help. Please point out any wrong facts I have stated.
And answer me one question. Do you think that clubs because of their financial status and full time employees, can improve the Sydney competition by continually hitting smaller clubs to knock off their talent?

PS. You talk about being spiteful and catty. What's is your problem with Balmain?