PDA

View Full Version : It's Official ... Swans are Soft

AnnieH
4th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Goodesy says so ...

Goodes makes hard call - Swans have gone soft (http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/06/03/1243708511989.html)

Dalai Lama
4th June 2009, 12:03 PM
The Whip It knows - when a problem comes around - you must Whip It - and WHIP IT GOODES!

connolly
4th June 2009, 01:29 PM
The Whip It knows - when a problem comes around - you must Whip It - and WHIP IT GOODES!

And apparently the troubled genius is calling on the services of meditation to toughen us up. God help us. What's wrong with a big night on the piss with the boys, some heavy bonding and putting on the stink against the private school big girls blouses on Saturday? i don't think Nashie, Skilts or Plugger would have wasted a minute on meditation.

Dalai Lama
4th June 2009, 01:40 PM
maybe a Barry Hall uppercut to the Rhesus Monkey will toughen her up?

Chilcott
4th June 2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe at times its a mental thing, however, its pobably more that some of our blokes just don't have the pace & strength to put themselves in the right spots to get the hard ball and tackle as they should.

liz
4th June 2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe at times its a mental thing, however, its pobably more that some of our blokes just don't have the pace & strength to put themselves in the right spots to get the hard ball and tackle as they should.

Brett Kirk - certainly not quick and reasonably wiry compared to the average (mature) AFL player - currently leads the tackle count by a whopping 14 tackles. And second on the ladder, 6 ahead of the next best tackler, is Jude Bolton, again not quick.

I acknowledge that these two spend much of their time in the thick of things and don't have to move too far to get from one tackle to the next. However, I reckon tackling intent has far more to do with mental approach (and role) than with speed or physical strength.

ShockOfHair
4th June 2009, 02:19 PM
I don't care if it's meditation, going to church or six rounds with Danny Green - whatever it takes to get some mental toughness.

We're last in hard ball gets. Last.

This season, after 10 games, Sydney have lost that area in every match bar one, when they were equal with Port Adelaide at the SCG 10 days ago. The Swans are ranked 16th for hard-ball gets compared to their opponents, with a differential of minus 98 against the 10 teams they have played.

Hard stats show Swans are soft - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25584366-5018851,00.html)

The shame.

Go Swannies
4th June 2009, 02:24 PM
It's a mental thing that so many of our tackles don't stick. They used to.

AnnieH
4th June 2009, 02:36 PM
I spent nearly the whole game last Saturday screaming out "TACKLE".

Half the time they just stand around like stunned kangaroos with their eyes in the headlights staring at the opposition.

It's not rocket science.

CureTheSane
4th June 2009, 02:41 PM
I spend a lot of time screaming "shepherd"
One area that really annoys me in our game......

Frosty13
4th June 2009, 04:13 PM
We play a good hard brand of footy when sides come to play us at the SCG or Anz. However, we roll over and get pounded anywhere else. We're turning into the Eagles.

Kanga
5th June 2009, 02:25 PM
And apparently the troubled genius is calling on the services of meditation to toughen us up. God help us. What's wrong with a big night on the piss with the boys, some heavy bonding and putting on the stink against the private school big girls blouses on Saturday? i don't think Nashie, Skilts or Plugger would have wasted a minute on meditation.

Classic quote Connolly - cannot agree with you more....

alison.z
5th June 2009, 03:46 PM
I spend a lot of time screaming "shepherd"
One area that really annoys me in our game......

that was one of the biggest thing i noticed in the port adelaide game ... they were all shepharding for eachother and look how that ended up!!!!

dimelb
5th June 2009, 06:30 PM
But Connolly, think what even more sublime players they would have been, rising to new heights to take hangers over the assembled multitudes!