PDA

View Full Version : Paul Bevan - 100 games

ugg
5th June 2009, 12:50 PM
I was waiting for connolly to start this thread but I cannot wait any longer. (Has there been a falling out connolly?)

Congrats to Bevo, battled his way off the rookie list and is a solid contributor to our side.

What are your favourite Bevan memories?

ROK Lobster
5th June 2009, 01:15 PM
What are your favourite Bevan memories?2005 GF is a stand out. That, and when he started to regularly wash Kirky's car.

pinkemu
5th June 2009, 01:17 PM
I was waiting for connolly to start this thread but I cannot wait any longer. (Has there been a falling out connolly?)

Congrats to Bevo, battled his way off the rookie list and is a solid contributor to our side.

There are toooo many to list from one of the modern games hardest.

Well done Bevo.

ScottH
5th June 2009, 02:39 PM
His tackle.

I mean the essendon one in conolly's avatar, and the twin tackle from that same game.

Go Swannies
5th June 2009, 02:42 PM
His tackle.

I mean the essendon one in conolly's avatar, and the twin tackle from that same game.

I've never seen his tackle - nor aspire to - but his tackling can be pretty good.

31 hard at it
5th June 2009, 02:48 PM
Those courageous marks ... backing back in defence.
There have been many where "life and limb" have been put at substantial risk.
Bloods spirit always shown.

Congratulations on a major milestone.:)

Hartijon
5th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Liked his super slick goal right on the line that took great coordination at full pace! Love his courage!

dimelb
5th June 2009, 06:33 PM
The afternoon we were having a dirty day at Princes Park (it may have become Optus Oval by then), I think during his first year, when he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck for about 10 minutes and put us in front not to be headed again.
And he can tackle properly.
Congrats Bevo and continue the improvement.

satchmopugdog
5th June 2009, 08:12 PM
His tackle.

agreed and his marks backing back into packs..to save games

Nico
5th June 2009, 08:31 PM
The afternoon we were having a dirty day at Princes Park (it may have become Optus Oval by then), I think during his first year, when he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck for about 10 minutes and put us in front not to be headed again.
And he can tackle properly.
Congrats Bevo and continue the improvement.

And a bloke in the crowd kept yelling out that he was the next Paul Kelly. Must have been Connolly.

Yakety_Yak
5th June 2009, 08:41 PM
That throw it down from a reverse angle on high kick... is always going to be a 50/50 at best!

But GUTZ!..... and heart... he has got it in ute loads!

Some of the game saving marks he has taken when the team has been under the pump have been spectacular! (no I don't just mean the one 2 weeks ago!)

CONGRATULATIONS!

(better than the whole lot of 'youse':D )

liz
5th June 2009, 09:15 PM
His gather of the ball, arching run, complete with loss of mouthguard in the 2005 PF. Led to one of the barrage of goals in the final quarter - the long kick from Hall I think.

pinkemu
5th June 2009, 09:30 PM
His gather of the ball, arching run, complete with loss of mouthguard in the 2005 PF. Led to one of the barrage of goals in the final quarter - the long kick from Hall I think.

Lets hope we get a replay of that in round 18.

T-bag
5th June 2009, 10:58 PM

He's too busy lamenting Crouch's solid contributions. Seems that with the rise of Crouchy, there is no real place in the team for the Bevonator :)

goswannies
5th June 2009, 11:32 PM
The way he's nice to supporters after games, win, lose or draw. Always offers a smile and has nice words to say. Congrats

BeeEmmAre
6th June 2009, 12:50 AM
Highest congratulations to the ex-Daysdale junior (yes, before Wests).
Reward for great courage.

Triple B
6th June 2009, 02:32 AM
2004 against Essendon at MCG.

I was going to Alaska so decided to fly out of Melbourne so I could go to that game (Syd/Mel/LAX was same price as Syd/LAX). Bevan was outstanding that game, probably one of his best.

That was the 'one of the worst free kicks ever' against B2 to Dean Solomon game when we were coming home over the top of them. Killed all momentum.

Bear
6th June 2009, 10:27 AM

His cameo roles in the forward line where he's kicked a few goals.

connolly
6th June 2009, 11:31 AM

No falling out champ. There are so many on the Bevowagon these days its hard to get on with the concession card. Favourite memories? Jeez it has to be the mark at the death against Freo last year. Into the pack with sure hands and a big heart. Good on you Bevo hope you get another ton son.

Pace To Burn
6th June 2009, 01:30 PM
No falling out champ. There are so many on the Bevowagon these days its had to get on with the concession card. Favourite memories? Jeez it has to be the mark at the death against Freo last year. Into the pack with sure hands and a big heart. Good on you Bevo hope you get another ton son.

So its true;) . Well done Bevo, not bad for Leagie

COBHC
6th June 2009, 02:08 PM
Congratulations to Paul Bevan on his century.

He has turned from a maligned player into a couragous and reliable player. :)

573v30
6th June 2009, 07:00 PM
Congrats on making the 100, hopefully he has a good game not some of the stinkers he's endured over the past month or early in his career.

Blood
7th June 2009, 12:54 PM
He can be hot and cold but i don't think he deserves the criticism he cops from some. Always plays with a tonne of heart.

Onya Bevo!!

Primmy
7th June 2009, 02:56 PM
His ability to make a flying tackle or a backward leaping mark when we need it the most, get up and get on with it, never expecting any cudos from anyone. Quiet courage. He is a gem. Not perhaps a diamond, but a gem nonetheless, and he should be valued as such.

ScottH
7th June 2009, 08:28 PM
Mostly cold today.

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 12:46 AM
Pretty ordinary today. Had a lot of mates. But very poor defensive effort against Williams for the critical goal.

satchmopugdog
8th June 2009, 05:57 AM
I wish we had Williams as our 4th option at goal. I wish we had him as our 1st option at goal. He has got more talent in his little finger that half our team added together. He, Chance Bateman and Rioli are the only Hawks players I would cross the road to go and see..and that after vomiting at the thought of paying money to watch those arrogant,egotistical Vicentric Hawks ponce around.

connolly
8th June 2009, 10:24 AM
Pretty ordinary today. Had a lot of mates. But very poor defensive effort against Williams for the critical goal.

If you are going to be an obsessive at least try (like poor old bear) and be interesting. Bevo actually spoiled Williams, from a difficult position. The kick was a floater and Bevo was caught on the wrong side of the drift (is this getting too technical for you?) and he was forced to spoil a ball that was falling away on his left. By the way he was correctly positioned goalside and intially moving back towards the gaolsquare for either a pack mark or a front and centre crumb( still with me??) The free kick was highly technical and inconsistent (outrageously so) given the scragging, pushing, holding that Big Beamish had been subjected to on our forward line. The kid done OK. Lost you? Thought so.

ROK Lobster
8th June 2009, 10:26 AM
I wish we had Williams as our 4th option at goal. I wish we had him as our 1st option at goal. He has got more talent in his little finger that half our team added together. We used to have a player like that.

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 10:29 AM
If you are going to be an obsessive at least try (like poor old bear) and be interesting. Bevo actually spoiled Williams, from a difficult position. The kick was a floater and Bevo was caught on the wrong side of the drift (is this getting too technical for you?) and he was forced to spoil a ball that was falling away on his left. By the way he was correctly positioned goalside and intially moving back towards the gaolsquare for either a pack mark or a front and centre crumb( still with me??) The free kick was highly technical and inconsistent (outrageously so) given the scragging, pushing, holding that Big Beamish had been subjected to on our forward line. The kid done OK. Lost you? Thought so.Surely you can do better than that? That is ridiculous.

Bevan lost contact with his player.
Watching the ball only he ran toward Williams.
Williams cleverly moved back toward Bevan and upset Bevan's run, and then turned to mark the ball.
Bevan, completely outpositioned, grabbed Williams around the neck.

Terrible defensive play and a blatant free kick.

connolly
8th June 2009, 11:07 AM
Surely you can do better than that? That is ridiculous.

Bevan lost contact with his player.
Watching the ball only he ran toward Williams.
Williams cleverly moved back toward Bevan and upset Bevan's run, and then turned to mark the ball.
Bevan, completely outpositioned, grabbed Williams around the neck.

Terrible defensive play and a blatant free kick.

Contact the Seeing Eye Dog Association. They will give you a nice little puppy that can help you cross roads etc. As for "watching" footy try the wireless.

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 11:20 AM
Contact the Seeing Eye Dog Association. They will give you a nice little puppy that can help you cross roads etc. As for "watching" footy try the wireless.
Just watched it again. Clearly grabbed him around the neck. Clear free kick. No question whatsoever, despite your attempt to deflect through personal insults.

connolly
8th June 2009, 11:29 AM
Just watched it again. Clearly grabbed him around the neck. Clear free kick. No question whatsoever, despite your attempt to deflect through personal insults.

It was sympathy. In "watching" the game did you notice the arms, fists and bodies that "grabbed" around Hall's neck? It was technical free in a game where we did not get one such technical free on our forward line.

goswannie14
8th June 2009, 11:39 AM
Just watched it again. Clearly grabbed him around the neck. Clear free kick. No question whatsoever, despite your attempt to deflect through personal insults.Agree with you on both points, the free was obvious and the personal attacks this morning are becoming tiring. All because others do not agree with him.

ScottH
8th June 2009, 12:20 PM

That won't help. It was clearly over the shoulder.
Even blind freddy could see that.

satchmopugdog
8th June 2009, 12:27 PM
We used to have a player like that.

But said player didn't have the steel that Williams has....Williams may look laconic but when you sit at the town end of York Park you are quite close to the players at Fullforward and the look in Williams eye would cut through titanium. Said player never had that look and still wasn't as talented as Williams..

connolly
8th June 2009, 12:32 PM
That won't help. It was clearly over the shoulder.
Even blind freddy could see that.

It was over the shoulder. Bevo had his eyes on the ball and Williams leant into him and started to fall. It was momentary and in the context of the umpiring technical. Grabbing around the neck it was not. But i have to dip my hat to those that have managed to focus on one free kick in a match that was otherwise dominated by Big Beamish and the umpires, high drama and a slashing game by Goodesy. Craig Bolton had an absolute shocker against a great player (was there one occasion when Bolts beat Buddy?) but i guess its not what you do but who who you are in the scapegoat business.

ugg
8th June 2009, 12:34 PM
You're right connolly, there wasn't one occasion where Bolts beat Buddy. I recall at least TWO.

BTW, are all free kicks against Bevan automatically wrong in your book? I thought he did well yesterday, but that free kick to Williams was definitely there.

ROK Lobster
8th June 2009, 12:34 PM
I thought Williams out positioned and beat Bevan at that contest. I think that happens, otherwise there would be a lot less goals. Bevo had a standard Bevo day, nothing more or less. An effective spoil at that time may have made a difference to the overall result, maybe not.

connolly
8th June 2009, 12:36 PM
You're right connolly, there wasn't one occasion where Bolts beat Buddy. I recall at least TWO.

BTW, are all free kicks against Bevan automatically wrong in your book? I thought he did well yesterday, but that free kick to Williams was definitely there.

Never said it wasnt a free but it was a technical one, especially in the context of the otherwise let it go (especially on our forward line) interpretations.

connolly
8th June 2009, 12:40 PM
I thought Williams out positioned and beat Bevan at that contest. I think that happens, otherwise there would be a lot less goals. Bevo had a standard Bevo day, nothing more or less. An effective spoil at that time may have made a difference to the overall result, maybe not.

Williams did outposition him. Bevo was goalside where he should have been and Williams put him off balance and away from a ball that was falling to his left. Bevo put his hand over his shoulder in attempt to hold his ground.

Bear
8th June 2009, 01:07 PM
It was over the shoulder. Bevo had his eyes on the ball and Williams leant into him and started to fall. It was momentary and in the context of the umpiring technical. Grabbing around the neck it was not. But i have to dip my hat to those that have managed to focus on one free kick in a match that was otherwise dominated by Big Beamish and the umpires, high drama and a slashing game by Goodesy. Craig Bolton had an absolute shocker against a great player (was there one occasion when Bolts beat Buddy?) but i guess its not what you do but who who you are in the scapegoat business.

42 gave Williams far too much room when the ball was in flight and tried to come in late and... well, not sure what was trying, but his incompetence gifted a goal to Hawthorn at a critical time.

If he is going to take the 'come in late' approach he needs to fist the ball, not body him when you are weak one-on-one.

He came in late, pannicked and pathetically grabbed his opponent around the neck, turning the momentum of the game.

Hall then iced it.

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 01:08 PM
Williams did outposition him. Bevo was goalside where he should have been and Williams put him off balance and away from a ball that was falling to his left. Bevo put his hand over his shoulder in attempt to hold his ground.
Careful you don't trip...

Bear
8th June 2009, 01:24 PM
Another typical piece of decision making by Bevan in the 4th Q deserves attention as well. Something that most would have missed.

Just a couple of minutes after his previous Williams shocker, when the ball came into Hawthorn's 50, a pack situation developed and we were 3 on 3 with the flight of the ball.

Bevan and Williams were the ground players under the ball, but Bevan decided to leave Williams, back in and try to spoil.

Very courageous. Very stupid.

He was never going to be able to touch he ball with taller players running with the flight of the ball and easily getting higher. His job is to mind the small crummer (Williams) when the ball hits the ground.

Inevitably, the ball hit the ground - Teddy and Bolton did their job.

It left Williams as the only ground level player. Luckily the ball did not bounce kindly for Williams and Bevan's team mates saved him and us yet again, cleaning up on the ground and doing Bevan's job as well.

Unfortunately as I have pointed out many times, Bevan cannot do what good defenders do - watch the ball and cover his opponent at the same time.

It was so nearly 2 goals in 2 minutes to Bevan. But luck and his team mates saved him.

stellation
8th June 2009, 01:26 PM
Williams is a good player and a tough matchup for most teams, I think that gets forgotten at times with the (understandable) focus on their other forwards.

connolly
8th June 2009, 03:25 PM
Another typical piece of decision making by Bevan in the 4th Q deserves attention as well. Something that most would have missed.

Just a couple of minutes after his previous Williams shocker, when the ball came into Hawthorn's 50, a pack situation developed and we were 3 on 3 with the flight of the ball.

Bevan and Williams were the ground players under the ball, but Bevan decided to leave Williams, back in and try to spoil.

Very courageous. Very stupid.

He was never going to be able to touch he ball with taller players running with the flight of the ball and easily getting higher. His job is to mind the small crummer (Williams) when the ball hits the ground.

Inevitably, the ball hit the ground - Teddy and Bolton did their job.

It left Williams as the only ground level player. Luckily the ball did not bounce kindly for Williams and Bevan's team mates saved him and us yet again, cleaning up on the ground and doing Bevan's job as well.

Unfortunately as I have pointed out many times, Bevan cannot do what good defenders do - watch the ball and cover his opponent at the same time.

It was so nearly 2 goals in 2 minutes to Bevan. But luck and his team mates saved him.

So you are suggesting that defenders never leave their opponent to be third man up or fill the corridor? Bevo is multi-tasked. He is instructed to fill the corridor in front of leading forwards (most defenders do this) and he is expected to be third or second man man up if he can spoil. (apart from Crouch who just cannot mark overhead as evidence by the plum pudding he spilt after Bevo put it out in front of him on Sunday) Bevo has saved games for us by leaving his man and either spoiling or taking the match saving mark into the pack. No doubt he will continue to do the team thing and save games for us.

ScottH
8th June 2009, 04:20 PM
It was over the shoulder. Bevo had his eyes on the ball and Williams leant into him and started to fall. It was momentary and in the context of the umpiring technical. Grabbing around the neck it was not. But i have to dip my hat to those that have managed to focus on one free kick in a match that was otherwise dominated by Big Beamish and the umpires, high drama and a slashing game by Goodesy. Craig Bolton had an absolute shocker against a great player (was there one occasion when Bolts beat Buddy?) but i guess its not what you do but who who you are in the scapegoat business.Whether it happens to us or not. It has nothing to do with the fact it was a free against Bevan. Argue all you like about positioning/holding ground, yada yada yada. It was a free against.

I thought Williams out positioned and beat Bevan at that contest. I think that happens, otherwise there would be a lot less goals. Bevo had a standard Bevo day, nothing more or less. An effective spoil at that time may have made a difference to the overall result, maybe not. Bit hard to spoil when you are on the wrong side of the fall of the ball. Maybe it should of been a technocal free to Bevo, for not being allowed to spoil effectively.

Never said it wasnt a free but it was a technical one, especially in the context of the otherwise let it go (especially on our forward line) interpretations.

Aren't most frees technical??
Sorry mate, but your man love for bevo is getting tedious.

connolly
8th June 2009, 04:31 PM
Whether it happens to us or not. It has nothing to do with the fact it was a free against Bevan. Argue all you like about positioning/holding ground, yada yada yada. It was a free against.

Bit hard to spoil when you are on the wrong side of the fall of the ball. Maybe it should of been a technocal free to Bevo, for not being allowed to spoil effectively.

Aren't most frees technical??
Sorry mate, but your man love for bevo is getting tedious.

Fair go one of those comments is from ROK! I know we are as one on most things but he can answer for himself. Bevo was on the goalside of Williams which is wher he should have been, the heavy ball dropped and drifted to the left side of Williams. It happens. Umpiring decisions are interpretations. Some interpretations are very technical applications of the rule and some not. Clarkson has said that he wants his defenders in particular to push the boundaries of the rules and if they give away frees he accepts that. Obviously not a criteria that everyone uses. If Bevo was wearing yellow and brown and his opponent was Big Beamish it probably would not have been a free.

ScottH
8th June 2009, 04:41 PM
I realise one of those was from ROK, I was responding to him.

The problem with Bevo is he does good things, and some bad/dumb things (kicking straight to a hawk on the wing in the 2nd Q), but your blind adoration seems to tarnish your views.
It was a blatant over the shoulder/holding by Bevan. End of Story.

Hall copped some bad decisions, He probably got away with some too. It happens.

The problem with the umps is they are on the ground watching from the inside lookng out, we are on the outside looking in, and a lot of what we see, the umps can't because they caen't see through the players.

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 04:44 PM
Bevo was on the goalside of Williams which is wher he should have been, the heavy ball dropped and drifted to the left side of Williams.
The problem was that Bevan positioned himself behind and to the side of Williams and prepared himself for the huge leap and punch over the top. Franklin's long bomb could be read (as Williams did better) and Bevan should have been up against Williams bodying him out of position, with a fist out in front. Watch a good defensive player against a shorter and smaller player, and that's what they will do. No need to try to leap over the top.

ROK Lobster
8th June 2009, 05:05 PM
Bit hard to spoil when you are on the wrong side of the fall of the ball. Maybe it should of been a technocal free to Bevo, for not being allowed to spoil effectively.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Siriusly.

stellation
8th June 2009, 05:23 PM
Fair go one of those comments is from ROK! I know we are as one on most things but he can answer for himself. Bevo was on the goalside of Williams which is wher he should have been, the heavy ball dropped and drifted to the left side of Williams. It happens. Umpiring decisions are interpretations. Some interpretations are very technical applications of the rule and some not. Clarkson has said that he wants his defenders in particular to push the boundaries of the rules and if they give away frees he accepts that. Obviously not a criteria that everyone uses. If Bevo was wearing yellow and brown and his opponent was Big Beamish it probably would not have been a free.
From memory it was a pretty clear free kick, I honestly don't think it was just a line ball decision. Williams is a very good player, no shame in being outsmarted by him in a contest- frustrating for it to happen straight in front of goals, but no real shame in it.

connolly
8th June 2009, 05:24 PM
The problem was that Bevan positioned himself behind and to the side of Williams and prepared himself for the huge leap and punch over the top. .

He was goalside where he should have been. The kick died and faded on him. Which is what should now happen to this thread.

stellation
8th June 2009, 05:26 PM
He was goalside where he should have been. The kick died and faded on him. Which is what should now happen to this thread.
Should a defender always be goal side in a one on one marking contest?

goswannie14
8th June 2009, 05:35 PM
But you're the one doing most of the posting.:confused:

connolly
8th June 2009, 05:43 PM
Should a defender always be goal side in a one on one marking contest?

A defender minding a small forward should be. i'm not sure the bomb was aimed at Williams, who probably was taking a crumbing position. In which case Bevo was on the right side of him. As i said before the heavy ball dropped and faded. Bevo along with a couple of others was expecting the kick to be straighter and a bit longer. Given that it was kicked by Buddy it could and did go anywhere.

Melbournehammer
8th June 2009, 06:04 PM
actually i think that is wrong. i just reckon williams read it better in the air. if you watch it bevan was separated by about three-four metres when the ball was kicked and by the time he went to body williams he was running into a brick wall.

it does raise a question in my mind which i raised earlier. at the beginning of the game teddy was playying on williams - where was teddy and who was he playing on ?

Lohengrin
8th June 2009, 06:08 PM
The problem was he was too far away and hence the attempted run and jump which was the mistake, rather than creating body contact.

Triple B
8th June 2009, 06:09 PM
A defender minding a small forward should be. i'm not sure the bomb was aimed at Williams, who probably was taking a crumbing position.

Trouble with that theory is they were 1 out with each other in the goalsquare and not another player within 20 metres.

Unless he was just going to let Bevan spill an uncontested mark and crumb that......;)

Uh oh, now I'm sounding like the rest of the inmates here :p :p :p

goswannie14
8th June 2009, 06:11 PM
Trouble with that theory is they were 1 out with each other in the goalsquare and not another player within 20 metres.

Unless he was just going to let Bevan spill an uncontested mark and crumb that......;)

Uh oh, now I'm sounding like the rest of the inmates here :p :p :pSee what the facts will do to you!!;)

ugg
8th June 2009, 06:11 PM
Opposition sides recognise that Bevan isn't the best one-on-one defender and will isolate him and his opponent just like Williams did in that contest.

stellation
8th June 2009, 06:17 PM
Opposition sides recognise that Bevan isn't the best one-on-one defender
Only because technically it's correct.

Triple B
8th June 2009, 06:18 PM
Another point often lost, although I think Stella or Satch mentioned it earlier, is that Williams is a gun forward. It's not as if Bevan was beaten by a hack in that contest.

Pre the Buddy and Roughie show, Williams carried that forward line with the shotgun slung over the shoulder.

connolly
8th June 2009, 06:49 PM
Opposition sides recognise that Bevan isn't the best one-on-one defender and will isolate him and his opponent just like Williams did in that contest.

Evidence? Most teams try to isolate their gun forwards with a defender. As we do with Magic. i don't know of any team that wouldn't try and isolate any defender with a one on one. The only defender i can think of that you wouldn't want to isolate in a contest is Scarlett. Do you reckon Clarkson didn't try and isolate Bolton, an All Australian against Franklin? Franklin beat him six times in contested marks. Also i don't think it has been established that Bevo was his opponent. Mattner had him for a while, as did Richards. If you reckon that Franklin was trying to hit Williams with that bomb his kicking which was atrocious must have suddenly improved. Franklin was aiming for the goals or the goal square. Williams didn't lead, he was sitting under a bomb

Bear
8th June 2009, 09:25 PM
Another point often lost, although I think Stella or Satch mentioned it earlier, is that Williams is a gun forward. It's not as if Bevan was beaten by a hack in that contest.

All players get beaten and that has absolutely nothing to do with the point here.

It is about the strategy you employ in the contest, that will both dictate how often you get beaten and how you will be judged.

When a ball is kickd high and to NO particular advantage of the forward, he should have to earn the mark, not be gifted a freeby.

connolly
10th June 2009, 03:07 PM

Williams wasnt Bevo's opponent. Mattner played on Williams. The Franklin bomb came from a turnover in midfield, Franklin was bombing for goal and the player caught in no mans land was Teddy Richards. When Bevo saw that Richards wasn't going to make it to contest Williams he stepped up and was held out of the contest by one of the strongest marking small forwards in the business. Mattner was up the ground on the attack when the ball was turned over, Williams who hadn't chased was loitering in the forward pocket and got lucky. Franklin saw that Richards had come up the field and tried to bomb a goal over his head. Bevo's opponent was Osborne. Clarkson must be the most brilliant coach in the history of football who uses mental telepathy. In a split second he had instructed Buddy to kick it to Williams who by design had isolated Bevo. Pure genius.

Lohengrin
10th June 2009, 04:45 PM
Bevan was on Williams at that stage and was for some time in the second half.

ugg
10th June 2009, 04:55 PM
Williams wasnt Bevo's opponent. Mattner played on Williams. The Franklin bomb came from a turnover in midfield, Franklin was bombing for goal and the player caught in no mans land was Teddy Richards. When Bevo saw that Richards wasn't going to make it to contest Williams he stepped up and was held out of the contest by one of the strongest marking small forwards in the business. Mattner was up the ground on the attack when the ball was turned over, Williams who hadn't chased was loitering in the forward pocket and got lucky. Franklin saw that Richards had come up the field and tried to bomb a goal over his head. Bevo's opponent was Osborne. Clarkson must be the most brilliant coach in the history of football who uses mental telepathy. In a split second he had instructed Buddy to kick it to Williams who by design had isolated Bevo. Pure genius.
Richards started on Williams, then Bevan was moved onto him later on when Teddy moved forward. At no stage did I see Mattner on Williams. Occam's Razor.

connolly
10th June 2009, 05:31 PM
Richards started on Williams, then Bevan was moved onto him later on when Teddy moved forward. At no stage did I see Mattner on Williams. Occam's Razor.

Watched the replay in the TAB this arvo. Mattner was on Williams. Richards was the player out of position when Franklin kicked the bomb in. He was on the backline then so was he playing on Williams at that stage? Fifteen metres from the defensive square and struggling to get back is a long way from the forward line champ!!!

connolly
10th June 2009, 05:35 PM
Bevan was on Williams at that stage and was for some time in the second half.

Richards was the tall marking defender who should have contested the bomb. Bevo's opponent was Osborne in the third quarter and the last. He was number 7. It was Richards who was out of position and Bevo was playing sweeper/quarterback. Which he does very well by the way. Franklin saw that Richards was in no mans land and tried to bomb over him.

ugg
10th June 2009, 05:38 PM
Were you watching the game or the GGs?

I'm adamant that Bevan was Williams's opponent, and Lohengrin seems to be backing me up too. And there's no way Buddy was 'bombing for goal'. He was too far out and it was definitely a pass aimed for Shotgun.

stellation
10th June 2009, 05:38 PM
Richards was the tall marking defender who should have contested the bomb. Bevo's opponent was Osborne in the third quarter and the last. He was number 7. It was Richards who was out of position and Bevo was playing sweeper/quarterback. Which he does very well by the way. Franklin saw that Richards was in no mans land and tried to bomb over him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk (The great Vizzinnolly says Bevo's the quarterback!)

giant
10th June 2009, 06:25 PM
:D

I watched a replay this afternoon too (up to half time). Richards clearly starts on Williams and is towelled up on several occasions.

Melbournehammer
10th June 2009, 08:04 PM
ahhh. I did wonder about it - my memories of the game were that richards was on williams for most of the first half. I am pretty sure that bevan was on williams at the time, even if it was a created mismatch.

No matter. Bevan got outpointed in that contest. It happens.

Lohengrin
10th June 2009, 08:38 PM

I watched a replay this afternoon too (up to half time). Richards clearly starts on Williams and is towelled up on several occasions.
Yes, which is why he was moved off him. Bevan was put on him later.

Lohengrin
10th June 2009, 08:46 PM
"The great Vizzinnolly says Bevo's the quarterback!"
You are wonderful. I admit it, you are better than I am.