PDA

View Full Version : Australian Rules Football For Dummies?

DeGregorius
13th September 2003, 08:50 AM
Is there such a book?

Or is there some other book you can recommend for a beginner.
I'm trying to pick up as much as I can from watching through AFL's video archive, and watching the local club teams play, but I'm still confused about finer points.
Advice anyone?

Charlie
13th September 2003, 10:24 AM
Might be just as easy to ask about anything that confuses you... fire away.

desredandwhite
13th September 2003, 11:17 AM
Amazingly, there IS a book called "Aussie Rules for Dummies"

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDynamic/Full_Details.asp?ISBN=1740310357

I saw it at the bookstore last week. Written by Jim Main, who is a Swans fan and therefore must obviously be a good read.

But as Charlie says, ask away and we'll do our best.

Sid
13th September 2003, 04:43 PM
I remember seeing that book at angus and robertson. Its only a recent published book i think and i didnt delve into it. I learnt most of my AFL from playing the game. But theres definitely books around which are good for explaining the finer parts of the games.

I cant remember any names. It's not very helpful watching videos or games on tv. You experience much more by going to the games. That's where u realise the real skill of the players.

DeGregorius
14th September 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Might be just as easy to ask about anything that confuses you... fire away.

All right then:
When a player is paid a mark within 50 meters of the goal, does he have more time to dispose of the ball than he would have if he were beyond the 50 meter line? It seems to be that way. You see a player get his mark, say, in the middle of the field, and after about 15 seconds, the umpire yells "play on".
But if that same player is paid a mark, oh, let's say, 30meters from the goal, it seems as if he has all day to measure his kick, run up and take it. No delay of game? What's going on?

Mike_B
14th September 2003, 12:49 PM
Generally they do have more time, simply because they are given that time to go through their routine of lining up for goal (Matthew Lloyd is a perfect example of this), whereas in general play, the same routine is not required. Not all players take longer to kick for goal though eg Akermanis.

DeGregorius
14th September 2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks.

I watched the first quarter of the Brisbane-Adelaide finals game.
Adelaide'sfirst goal was score after ??????, having been paid his mark took a several, well, walk-ups to his kick. It appeared he was trying to fake out the Brisbane player who was covering him.

scurrilous
16th September 2003, 11:12 AM
What generally happens DeGregorius when a player marks the ball within the forward 50m, you will see the umpire blow his whistle and hold his hand up in the air. This action by the umpire is referred to as "blowing time on". What this means is that the official timekeeper will stop the official clock when the umpire "blows time on" until such time as the umpire "blows time on" again and the clock gets restarted.

Now in between this "time on" period, the umpire will mark the goal kicker's mark and line up the goal kicker to the centre of the goals from where the mark was taken. Once the umpire has set the position of the goalkicker, he/she will then blow the whistle again and indicate time on once more. This is the period when the goalkicker is given 15 to 20 seconds (real play time) to kick the goal. Hence why a player seems to get longer to dispose of the ball when shooting for goal inside 50m, compared with a player taking a mark in general play and having a kick.

This is one explanation also of why the 20min quarter will go for longer. The 20min is actually "real game time" and doesn't include time on periods. So you can see why, when a lot of goals are kicked in a quarter of football, the quarter will actually go for 28-30+ minutes.

Hope you can understand my ramblings.

DeGregorius
16th September 2003, 11:50 AM
Thanks much. That explains a lot!

penga
16th September 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DeGregorius
No delay of game?

the only flag in this game is the premiership one ;)

DeGregorius
17th September 2003, 12:58 AM
Ahem...aren't you forgetting the ones the goal umpire waves, he asked, picking nits hither & yon ;)