PDA

View Full Version : Teams v Melbourne / Are Melbourne tanking?

ugg
23rd July 2009, 06:03 PM
Sydney Swans
B: Barlow, Roberts-Thomson, Bolton,C
HB: Shaw, Grundy, Mattner
C: Smith, Kirk, McVeigh
HF: O?Keefe,R, Goodes, Ablett
F: White, O?Loughlin, Hannebery
FOLL: Jolly, Jack, Bolton,J
Interchange (from): Bevan, Bird, Buchanan, Moore, Pyke, Thornton, Veszpremi

In: Buchanan, Moore, Pyke, Thornton
Out: Richards (chest)

caj23
23rd July 2009, 06:09 PM
Hanaberry in!!

kerrsive
23rd July 2009, 06:10 PM
Wo!
Love it

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd July 2009, 06:25 PM
I hope the bench is Bird, Pyke, Thornton, Vez.

ugg
23rd July 2009, 06:30 PM
Big changes for Melbourne

Backs L.Dunn, M.Warnock, J.Frawley
Half backs B.Moloney, J.Rivers, C.Bruce
Centreline C.Bartram, J.McDonald, A.Davey
Half forwards J.Bennell, M.Newton, C.Morton
Forwards B.Miller, M.Bate, L.Jurrah
Followers S.Martin, R.Petterd, N.Jones
I/C From: P.Johnson, K.Cheney, N.Jetta, M.Whelan, S.Valenti, J.McKenzie, R.Bail.

TEAM CHANGES
In: Cheney, Johnson, Miller, Newton, Valenti, Whelan, McKenzie, Bail
Out: McLean (Knee), Jamar (Quad), Green (Scaphoid), Grimes (Back), Robertson New: Jordie McKenzie (Geelong Falcons), Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt)

Hartijon
23rd July 2009, 06:43 PM
Goodto see Hanneberry get another game.I hope Mike Pyke plays,otherwise its so frustrating how Ablett gets a game.Smith is still in and should have been in months ago before he was injured..hundred times more potential than Ablett whose best football is behind him. Besides keeping a youngster out he might just play well against the bottom side and cement his place. Bevan also on form is incredibly lucky..

kangle4
23rd July 2009, 06:57 PM
it's exended bench so hannebery could still go out, although i hope he plays.

Jeffers1984
23rd July 2009, 07:01 PM
Demons tanking! haha Priority pick in their sights.

HANNERS!!!!

ugg
23rd July 2009, 07:02 PM
Andy D says there is no tanking, so there must be no tanking. They are legitimate injuries, built up over the course of the season, Jeffers. (PS. What's a scaphoid?)

Chookbilly
23rd July 2009, 07:04 PM
it's exended bench so hannebery could still go out, although i hope he plays.

Hannebery's not on the extended bench, he's on the field.... He's playing!

ugg
23rd July 2009, 07:05 PM
Hannebery's not on the extended bench, he's on the field.... He's playing!
Technically he could drop out, but very rarely happens.

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd July 2009, 07:22 PM
(PS. What's a scaphoid?)

Um, like, it's right next to the hiphnoid bone. Duh!:rolleyes:

Jeffers1984
23rd July 2009, 07:35 PM
Hope Vez doesn't get the chop. He wasn't that good last week but i reckon he could cause alot of problems against the Dees to help get his confidence up.

Bloody Hell
23rd July 2009, 07:42 PM
So Ablett named on the field is definately playing?

Claret
23rd July 2009, 07:48 PM
So Ablett named on the field is definately playing?

Not necessarily, as ugg suggested they can leave any named player out.

If we can't beat a team that is clearly going the Sherman then something is seriously wrong.

Bloody Hell
23rd July 2009, 07:54 PM
Big changes for Melbourne

Backs L.Dunn, M.Warnock, J.Frawley
Half backs B.Moloney, J.Rivers, C.Bruce
Centreline C.Bartram, J.McDonald, A.Davey
Half forwards J.Bennell, M.Newton, C.Morton
Forwards B.Miller, M.Bate, L.Jurrah
Followers S.Martin, R.Petterd, N.Jones
I/C From: P.Johnson, K.Cheney, N.Jetta, M.Whelan, S.Valenti, J.McKenzie, R.Bail.

TEAM CHANGES
In: Cheney, Johnson, Miller, Newton, Valenti, Whelan, McKenzie, Bail
Out: McLean (Knee), Jamar (Quad), Green (Scaphoid), Grimes (Back), Robertson New: Jordie McKenzie (Geelong Falcons), Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt)

That is disgraceful. They might as well have changed the whole team.

Bloody Hell
23rd July 2009, 07:56 PM

I meant in terms of Roos signalling his intent.

i'm-uninformed2
23rd July 2009, 07:56 PM
Robbo out without an injury suggests the Dees are driving a big fat Sherman towards the end of the season

alison.z
23rd July 2009, 08:01 PM
I hope the bench is Bird, Pyke, Thornton, Vez.

yes!!! v. happy hannebery gets another game!!!

Nico
23rd July 2009, 08:10 PM
How The Hell Does Ablett Keep Getting A Game

Donners
23rd July 2009, 08:17 PM

Apart from injury, I can't remember a player in the 18 being dropped out rather than someone on the extended bench.

Bloody Hell
23rd July 2009, 08:26 PM

Are you saving the ALL CAPS for when he plays next week?

BSA5
23rd July 2009, 09:03 PM

Because firstly, he wasn't too bad last week (not great, but kicked a goal and did some stuff), and secondly, if we want any chance of getting something decent for him come trade time, best to give him games. A senior player that can't crack the 22 is not going to instil much confidence in other teams. If Ablett can play out the rest of the season as a defensive forward, kick a few goals, lay a few tackles, show that he can be at the very least a depth player for a team looking at a Premiership, then we might actually get something for him.

Plugger46
23rd July 2009, 09:09 PM

Not one of mine as you well know Nico but I didn't think he was too bad last week.

stellation
23rd July 2009, 09:10 PM
I don't mind Ablett across half forward.

SimonH
23rd July 2009, 09:39 PM
If MOD and Schmidt don't qualify as even making the top 25 after being in the 2nds bests, come round 17, then whither their careers?

sharp9
23rd July 2009, 09:46 PM
On the other hand they are young players with their best in front of them and, as such, their places on the list may be safe...it's the underperforming senior players who need to show something to save their spot on the list.....Ablett, Buchanan, Bevan

10Totti10
23rd July 2009, 10:05 PM
Ablett, Bucchanan, Bevan r on their last chances. One bad game and they will be dropped. Schmidt, MOD, Murphy, Laidlaw, DOK all still have to play so they will slowly push them in. Thornton will play along the backline won't he to cover for Richards. Oh and Hanneberry is DEF in. If ur named in the starting lineup u will play. Im going to the game this weekend so im pretty happy.

DST
23rd July 2009, 11:05 PM
If MOD and Schmidt don't qualify as even making the top 25 after being in the 2nds bests, come round 17, then whither their careers?

Schmidt has spent almost the entire year on the sideline's with knee problems, not to mention no pre-season to speak of.

Can't he come back and string a number of games together before subjecting him to senior football.

DST
:D

ernie koala
23rd July 2009, 11:14 PM
Given the outs and list of youngsters Melbourne have put forward, we'll win, and older players like Ablett and Bevo(if he plays),(we know what they bring to the table) and no doubt they will perform ok against a tanking bottom side and therefore hold their spots for another week or 2.:cool:
At the end of the season decisions on many reserve players will be made, players like MOD, DOK, Laidlaw, Braba, with out having seen them play more than a game or 2 of seniors. Yet even with a perfect opportunity, like this game, we don't play them.:confused: ...For a club that is looking to rebuild...? Extremely puzzling to say the least.

DST
23rd July 2009, 11:32 PM
At the end of the season decisions on many reserve players will be made, players like MOD, DOK, Laidlaw, Braba, with out having seen them play more than a game or 2 of seniors. Yet even with a perfect opportunity, like this game, we don't play them.:confused: ...For a club that is looking to rebuild...? Extremely puzzling to say the least.

Don't agree at all with that statement.

The decision to keep both DOK and Laidlaw will be vastly differrent to de-listing both MOD and Brabazon.

Both MOD and Braba have been relatively injury free in the reserves and have been given ample time to show whether they can play at senior level. In both cases their decision making and disposal probably means they will not be retained (although it's line ball for Braba and will depend on retirements).

In the case of both DOK and Laidlaw, they have not been able to play regulalrly due to injury but both have shown enough promise (DOK only of late) that with further football and less injuries they can make it at senior level.

With the way our list is at present and under the likelyhood that we will have atleast 7 spots to fill even without de-listing someone, any young player who has shown ability to play at senior level but for injury is going to be retained.

DST

573v30
23rd July 2009, 11:39 PM
Hopefully we can win this game... :p

Donners
24th July 2009, 11:21 AM
Hopefully the bench is Bird, Buchanan, Pyke and Vezpremi, though I wouldn't mind Moore being in there.

Frosty13
24th July 2009, 12:04 PM
That is disgraceful. They might as well have changed the whole team.

If you actually looked at the outs you would see all bar one are injured. What would you like them to do? PLay injured players for the sake of not making many changes?

We should win but the Melbourne kids will have something too proove.

Sydney by 3 points.

Plugger46
24th July 2009, 01:02 PM
If you actually looked at the outs you would see all bar one are injured. What would you like them to do? PLay injured players for the sake of not making many changes?

Sydney by 3 points.

Get your head out of the sand Frosty. Tanking big-time the Dees.

Frosty13
24th July 2009, 01:28 PM
Get your head out of the sand Frosty. Tanking big-time the Dees.

And how do we know that they are not legit injuries plugger? I was talking about "bloody hell's" comments that they may aswell change their whole team. There clearly not going to play injured players.

ugg
24th July 2009, 01:59 PM
Umpires
9. Stevic
15. Nicholls
32. Mollison

Primmy
24th July 2009, 02:35 PM
The reason I ask this is the loss of key senior players for the upcoming game, and end of season. Or am I being ungenerous and overly suspicious.

kangle4
24th July 2009, 03:07 PM
(PS. What's a scaphoid?)

wrist injury

ScottH
24th July 2009, 03:41 PM
wrist injury

Limp?

Go Swannies
24th July 2009, 05:31 PM
Limp?

In my circles the word that follows is not "wrist" . . .

ugg
24th July 2009, 05:57 PM
Final teams

MELBOURNE v SYDNEY SWANS
Melbourne
B: Lynden Dunn, Matthew Warnock, Matthew Whelan
HB: Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers, Cameron Bruce
C: Clint Bartram, James McDonald, Aaron Davey
HF: Jamie Bennell, Michael Newton, Cale Morton
F: Brad Miller, Matthew Bate, Liam Jurrah
Foll: Stefan Martin, Ricky Petterd, Nathan Jones
I/C: Paul Johnson, Kyle Cheney, Jordie McKenzie, Shane Valenti
Emg: Rohan Bail, Jake Spencer, Simon Buckley
In: Cheney, P. Johnson, Miller, Newton, Valenti, Whelan, McKenzie
Out: Brock McLean (knee), Mark Jamar (quad), Brad Green (scaphoid), Jack Grimes (back), James Frawley (back), Neville Jetta (flu), Russell Robertson
New: Jordie McKenzie (Geelong Falcons)

Sydney Swans
B: Ed Barlow, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Craig Bolton
HB: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
C: Nick Smith, Brett Kirk, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ryan O?Keefe, Adam Goodes, Luke Ablett
F: Jesse White, Michael O?Loughlin, Daniel Hannebery
Foll: Darren Jolly, Kieran Jack, Jude Bolton
I/C: Kristin Thornton, Mike Pyke, Amon Buchanan, Jarred Moore
Emg: Patrick Veszpremi, Craig Bird, Paul Bevan
Out: Ted Richards (ribs), Paul Bevan, Craig Bird, Patrick Veszpremi

Note that Frawley and Jetta were in the 25 man squad yesterday, both totally omitted now replaced by Spencer and Buckley

Robbo
24th July 2009, 06:14 PM
Melbourne tanking it to a new level here. Tanks very much for posting the teams.

alison.z
24th July 2009, 06:26 PM
Sydney Swans

very disappointed ... wouldn't think they deserve to be dropped ... especially bird!!!!

royboy42
24th July 2009, 06:40 PM
MELBOURNE v SYDNEY SWANS

[B]Sydney Swans

]

Roos has said earlier this week that he preferred to replace young guys with young guys and older with older, and that will probably be what he's gonna do till the end of the year.
Buchanan replaces Teddy, Bevan hopelessly out of form, and the two young guys replace two young guys. He's doing just what he said he would!

Bloody Hell
24th July 2009, 06:41 PM

Sydney by 3 points.

And how do we know that they are not legit injuries plugger? I was talking about "bloody hell's" comments that they may aswell change their whole team. There clearly not going to play injured players.

Do you work for the D's propaganda department? Players play with injuries all the time. 7 in's - 7! The reality is they only lost to the Cats by 46 points last week, and this is a danger game for them. Who is or isn't injured is unknown to us...but if you think Russell Robertson isn't in their best 22 you're dreaming...suprised they didn't make up something for him - like - Outs: Russell Robertson (walked into a door).

10Totti10
24th July 2009, 07:07 PM
Veszpa, Bird out is very dissapointing. Whats the point? The ressies don't have a game so its not like they can play. We r playing a very very bad team (especially with all those names out) and we bring back bucchanon, and moore and keep Ablett. Just awful decision making. Veszpa and Bird to be late inclusions. :)

stellation
24th July 2009, 07:15 PM
Very dissapointing selection decisions with those outs.

laughingnome
24th July 2009, 07:24 PM
Posters, he broke his wrist and can't grip with his hand. But Melbourne didn't pick him so it's tanking.

Jeffers1984
24th July 2009, 07:30 PM
Disappointing.

Considering that the Dees were loading up on the youngsters for this game i thought it would be a great opportunity for the likes of Vez and Bird who have some games under their belt (especially Bird) to gain some confidence and dominate over the lesser names in the Dees side.

Instead we'll probably let them back in against sides such as Geelong/Pies etc.

But...HANNERS IS IN!

laughingnome
24th July 2009, 07:36 PM
I suppose the argument there, Jeffers, is that by playing against the best you realise how hard you have to work to make it at this level. Don't know if I agree with that, just propositioning here.

Jeffers1984
24th July 2009, 07:41 PM
I suppose the argument there, Jeffers, is that by playing against the best you realise how hard you have to work to make it at this level. Don't know if I agree with that, just propositioning here.

Nah that's a fair point mate. Learn from the best by playing against the best.

Selfishly i guess i was looking forward to seeing Hanners kicking to a Vez lead this Sunday but oh well....i'm sure we'll see alot of that combo next year!

Donners
24th July 2009, 07:41 PM
Vezpremi hasn't had much of a go, but I suppose Buchanan, Moore and Thornton are playing for a spot on the list, while he is pretty safe.

10Totti10
24th July 2009, 09:49 PM
roos said Vesz and Bird need a rest. I think they both do. Vesz only played a couple of games this season so fitness not right up there. Bird also been playing alot. Bucchanan and Moore playing for their careers so yeah. Moore will be played as forward. Tooooooo many mids so can't see him playing there.

Nico
24th July 2009, 10:35 PM
roos said Vesz and Bird need a rest. I think they both do. Vesz only played a couple of games this season so fitness not right up there. Bird also been playing alot. Bucchanan and Moore playing for their careers so yeah. Moore will be played as forward. Tooooooo many mids so can't see him playing there.

I would have thought by playing Veszpremi regularly that he might build some fitness and play into some form. I thought Bird was average last week but he had plenty of mates. Vesz is a victim of being played as a small lead up forward as is Moore and Moore is likely to get that graveyard role again.

You might as well have Crouch in there playing for his career. Why would you have Buchanan back playing for his career. So he plays well for us against Melbourne, big deal. I can't see how that will enhance his chances of being retained unless he plays blinders for the rest of the season.

Unless there are wholesale late changes it is starting to look like the selection committee have no idea what to do, unless of course they are tanking.

Nasher
24th July 2009, 10:41 PM
but if you think Russell Robertson isn't in their best 22 you're dreaming...

You obviously haven't seen much of the Dees this year -- especially last week against Geelong. Robertson has been embarressingly pathetic. His omission is the most legitimate of all of them. I wouldn't have him in our top 35, let alone 22.

Midfield
24th July 2009, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Nico;450391]

You might as well have Crouch in there playing for his career. Why would you have Buchanan back playing for his career. So he plays well for us against Melbourne, big deal. I can't see how that will enhance his chances of being retained unless he plays blinders for the rest of the season.

QUOTE]

Amon is not in the team "to play for his career". He is in the team because he is in the best 22 and clearly far too good to be playing reserves.

ernie koala
24th July 2009, 11:10 PM
Roos playing with his usual crooked bat...."Vespremi needs a rest", he must be exhausted after what...3 games.:rolleyes:
Ablett shows no form and retains his spot.
Roos is quoted, only yesterday, saying." you need to play the kids in the seniors to see what they've got, Canberra comp gives no insight".
So based on Roos' own view.... At the end of the season decisions, on these kids, will be made with little to no insight.:cool:

Primmy
25th July 2009, 12:03 AM
[/QUOTE]Amon is not in the team "to play for his career". He is in the team because he is in the best 22 and clearly far too good to be playing reserves.[/QUOTE]

Jeeze I hope so. Love the kid and can see his improvement in the ressies and his commitment to not remain there. He was pretty poor to start so obviously was down on form, with but had good attitude and intense application.

Don't take this game for granted. We can't afford to do that.

liz
25th July 2009, 12:15 AM
I am disappointed not to get to see Vez play, but the idea of him needing a rest is plausible. He appeared to injure himself towards the end of last week's game - he had the trainer attending to him on the ground. He and Bird have long, long careers ahead of them so I guess we can survive missing them for one week.

RogueSwan
25th July 2009, 12:29 AM
I am disappointed not to get to see Vez play, but the idea of him needing a rest is plausible. He appeared to injure himself towards the end of last week's game - he had the trainer attending to him on the ground. He and Bird have long, long careers ahead of them so I guess we can survive missing them for one week.

I hope this is close to the truth. I would have liked to see Vez as well. It would have been could to see some fist pumping celebrations, footy hasn't been enjoyable for the last couple weeks.
Bird out for a break I can handle, he is still young and has shown that he can play at the top level.

Hartijon
25th July 2009, 04:29 AM
Given the outs and list of youngsters Melbourne have put forward, we'll win, and older players like Ablett and Bevo(if he plays),(we know what they bring to the table) and no doubt they will perform ok against a tanking bottom side and therefore hold their spots for another week or 2.:cool:

Not puzzling..PATHETIC

bigdane14
25th July 2009, 01:07 PM
is mike pyke playing? hope he gets in, an not left on the emergency list...

royboy42
25th July 2009, 02:42 PM
Pyke's in!

CJK
25th July 2009, 04:33 PM
No Vez? Meh, hasn`t done much this season so I, for one, won`t miss him.

TheHood
25th July 2009, 07:15 PM
is mike pyke playing? hope he gets in, an not left on the emergency list...

This issue bothers me. Pyke has shown enough for mine to get more games. What's so wrong with he and Jolls rucking with Jessie at FF? LRT is just too short to ruck. Mike's a good mark and with more game time, will do more around the ground - I think he should play every game remaining in 2009.

Jeffers1984
25th July 2009, 07:55 PM
Huh? But Pyke is playing tomorrow....

Xie Shan
25th July 2009, 08:18 PM
Tenuously related but had to laugh at Hughesy's comment about tanking on Before the Game:

"What's the point of tanking when you can get three number 1 draft picks and Chris Judd and still get flogged by Collingwood!"

May have said this before but I think the fact that he is clearly insane and his fellow panelists know it is the only reason the show is still worth watching :D

pinkemu
26th July 2009, 12:22 PM
Tenuously related but had to laugh at Hughesy's comment about tanking on Before the Game:

"What's the point of tanking when you can get three number 1 draft picks and Chris Judd and still get flogged by Collingwood!"

May have said this before but I think the fact that he is clearly insane and his fellow panelists know it is the only reason the show is still worth watching :D

It's a fair comment in a round about way. What is the point?, It's a team sport and 1 or 2 top picks are not a guarantee for success.

Xie Shan
26th July 2009, 02:20 PM
It's a fair comment in a round about way. What is the point?, It's a team sport and 1 or 2 top picks are not a guarantee for success.

I know! I couldn't agree more in fact, I was more amused at the irony that it took a comedian to come up with the most sensible comment I've heard in the 'tanking' debate all week!

jdow
26th July 2009, 03:34 PM
This issue bothers me. Pyke has shown enough for mine to get more games. What's so wrong with he and Jolls rucking with Jessie at FF? LRT is just too short to ruck. Mike's a good mark and with more game time, will do more around the ground - I think he should play every game remaining in 2009.

Pyke is not going to make it in my opinoin he is really a stop gap untill we get another back up or Curries is up and running. Perfect example Pyke v Jarrah Pyke front spot should be easy mark but Jarrah uses the one thing Pyke will never have insticnt and out marks him easily.

Lohengrin
26th July 2009, 04:00 PM
Are the Swans tanking...? :p

Big Al
26th July 2009, 05:34 PM
Are the Swans tanking...? :p

Hope we @@@@ it up if we are. :p

BSA5
26th July 2009, 05:48 PM
Pyke is not going to make it in my opinoin he is really a stop gap untill we get another back up or Curries is up and running. Perfect example Pyke v Jarrah Pyke front spot should be easy mark but Jarrah uses the one thing Pyke will never have insticnt and out marks him easily.

If you're 200 cm, built like a brick @@@@house, have an amazing work eithic, and can run 100 in 11 seconds, you can be a good solid player without instinct. I agree that it's unlikely Pyke will ever be a superstar, but given how quickly he has adapted to the game, he's a chance (no certainty, mind you) to make a spot his own and have a decently successful career as an AFL footballer.

jdow
26th July 2009, 07:10 PM
If you're 200 cm, built like a brick @@@@house, have an amazing work eithic, and can run 100 in 11 seconds, you can be a good solid player without instinct. I agree that it's unlikely Pyke will ever be a superstar, but given how quickly he has adapted to the game, he's a chance (no certainty, mind you) to make a spot his own and have a decently successful career as an AFL footballer.

Disagree, but Iam sure we could argue all day about it:)

BSA5
26th July 2009, 09:06 PM
Disagree, but Iam sure we could argue all day about it:)

Having a large amount of natural instinct for the game is just one factor. Plenty of players have that instinct and don't make it, and plenty of players don't have it and do. They'll never be stars, but they can be very handy players. Pyke has shown a tremendous adaptability to various sports, excelling at many before settling on Union. He's a natural athlete, and while the fact that he wasn't brought up with footy will obviously count against him, his professionalism and natural athletic ability could well be enough to get him to a stage where he can be a good contributor.

Big Al
26th July 2009, 09:09 PM
Having a large amount of natural instinct for the game is just one factor. Plenty of players have that instinct and don't make it, and plenty of players don't have it and do. They'll never be stars, but they can be very handy players. Pyke has shown a tremendous adaptability to various sports, excelling at many before settling on Union. He's a natural athlete, and while the fact that he wasn't brought up with footy will obviously count against him, his professionalism and natural athletic ability could well be enough to get him to a stage where he can be a good contributor.

Agree totally with this.

pinkemu
26th July 2009, 09:39 PM

I'm with Big Al on this post, Pyke's adaptability to the game has been outstanding, Give him a little more time, treat him like he's 19.

Mr Magoo
27th July 2009, 10:45 AM
I agree with the general sentiment that it was a terrible game but I thought there was a lot to like about the some of the younger guys efforts.

Smith was poised, solid and disposed of it well.

Barlow and Grundy played pretty well. Made some mistakes but both need another solid preseason to harden up their bodies and get a little fitter.

Bird was good at extrating the ball but his disposal looked tired and I reckon he needs another hard preseason of fitness training. Poor disposal tends to result sometimes from lack of fitness as you expend so much enerby in getting the ball that the resulting disposal then is terrible. Grundy seems to me to be in the same boat in this regard.

Hannebery was very impressive and as someone has said before , gets good disposals out of packs without you realising it was him.

Pyke - give the guy a break , first year player who will improve. Comparing him to jurrah is ridiculous. How many players even at AFL level are capable of taking the type of one handed mark that he took from behind pyke.

White - hard to tell from the TV but either didnt present well on the lead or was just ignored as they seemed to go constantly to goodes or oloughlin.

Moore played pretty well and did some hard work.

Some of the younger guys like thornton need more time to show their worth and need a solid preseason to build up strength and fitness.

The biggest dissapointment today was the attitude of the senior players and their approach to the game. Felt like some players have already put the que in the rack for the year and the sniping that seemed to be going on must have been very disheartening to those around them.

Of the senior players - Goodes still doesnt know how to play a key position role. Now he knows how Barry Hall must have felt receiving crappy service and being double teamed all the time. And for gods sake , even I could see the surface was slippery - put your long stops in Goodsy.

Oloughlin - is limping to game 300.

Shaw provides good run but I dont feel it leads to much at times and his attitude and sniping when things get tough concerns me.

Ablett - just not good enough.

Kirk - it pains me to say it but to me looks like he is starting to get to the end of his time. While hes always been slow and his disposal a bit awkward, i thought he is starting to look slower and more awkward. One more season is about all he has left in him for mine.

On the other hand , I thought Mattner, Bolton (*2), LRT , McVeigh, Jolly and O keefe were the senior core that at least stood firm and played as they should.

Primmy
27th July 2009, 11:08 AM
Mike Pyke - oh for pity's sake. Its his FIRST YEAR in the game, no let me be a bit more clear, its his FIRST EIGHT MONTHS in Australia, in the game! And some of you want to finish his career on the fact that he is not yet a superstar! Oh I pity your kids.

He is willing, he learns, he is professional, he is a unit, our rucking stock of kids aren't physically ready yet, Jolls needs a breather every now and again. He is worth his place, even if just for a small amount of time. And he is improving all the time. Give me break.

Jeffers1984
27th July 2009, 11:32 AM
People are forgetting that Thornton is also coming off a Knee Reco so it is a credit to him that he's forced himself into the Seniors after all looked lost when he was delisted last year.

Him and especially Malceski will come good next year, i'm sure of it.

jono2707
27th July 2009, 01:36 PM
Mike Pyke - oh for pity's sake. Its his FIRST YEAR in the game, no let me be a bit more clear, its his FIRST SIX MONTHS in Australia, in the game! And some of you want to finish his career on the fact that he is not yet a superstar! Oh I pity your kids.

He is willing, he learns, he is professional, he is a unit, our rucking stock of kids aren't physically ready yet, Jolls needs a breather every now and again. He is worth his place, even if just for a small amount of time. And he is improving all the time. Give me break.

Well said - thanks for providing a bit of well-needed perspective an a guy who is doing a pretty darn good job considering where he was this time last year.

BSA5
27th July 2009, 02:38 PM
White - hard to tell from the TV but either didnt present well on the lead or was just ignored as they seemed to go constantly to goodes or oloughlin

Can't speak for the 1st and 3rd quarters, but certainly in the 2nd and 4th, when he was down my end, it was very much a combination of both. Our midfield was very Goodes- and MOL-centric sending it forward, and the forwardline in general did White no favours, often blocking up his leading space, but White also did not appear to work hard even when the opportunities presented themselves. It should also be mentioned that Rivers and Warnock often double-teamed him, and did it rather well.

laughingnome
27th July 2009, 06:56 PM
Can't speak for the 1st and 3rd quarters, but certainly in the 2nd and 4th, when he was down my end, it was very much a combination of both. Our midfield was very Goodes- and MOL-centric sending it forward, and the forwardline in general did White no favours, often blocking up his leading space, but White also did not appear to work hard even when the opportunities presented themselves. It should also be mentioned that Rivers and Warnock often double-teamed him, and did it rather well.

That's just it, isn't it? He's the big cheese in the forward 50 now so he'll cop the heaviest of heavies from the backline. Jolly can still drfit down and kick true because he'll still pick up the 3rd or 4th defender. White can mark reasonably as is but he needs a lot of training to be a true full-forward.

DST
27th July 2009, 08:07 PM
That's just it, isn't it? He's the big cheese in the forward 50 now so he'll cop the heaviest of heavies from the backline. Jolly can still drfit down and kick true because he'll still pick up the 3rd or 4th defender. White can mark reasonably as is but he needs a lot of training to be a true full-forward.

Agree, but with Johnston and possibly Muphy along with Vespremi (who is good overhead) next year, this will take a bit of the pressure off him as the only real tall target at present.

You could throw Currie in to that equation as well as third tall option as I beleive he shows some promise in that role as well.

We will young, raw and untired next year up forward but I think we have the makings of something that we at least work with.

DST

Big Al
27th July 2009, 08:10 PM
People are forgetting that Thornton is also coming off a Knee Reco so it is a credit to him that he's forced himself into the Seniors after all looked lost when he was delisted last year.

Sorry Jeffers but with your avatar I can't concentrate on what I'm sure is a well thought out argument.

DST
27th July 2009, 08:38 PM

Agree, a year off a knee reco Thornton has done enough this year to suggest that with a full pre-season next year that he could a regular senior player by the end of 2010.

I expect Smith, Vespremi, White, Johnston, Hannaberry and Merideth to also be in that position along with hopefully Schmidt, DOK and Laidlaw as well if they can sort out their injury issues.

That gives you a decent list of the following to work with (not including the senior guys) of:

Jack, Bird, Schmidt, DOK, Laidlaw, Thornton, Smith, Vespremi, White, Johnston, Hannaberry and Merideth.

DST

Jewels
27th July 2009, 09:17 PM
White - hard to tell from the TV but either didnt present well on the lead or was just ignored as they seemed to go constantly to goodes or oloughlin.

I was at the game and found it very, very frustrating the amount of time White was one out in the 50, yet was constantly ignored.
Surely, with his size, he stands a pretty good chance of marking when in a one on one!

Jeffers1984
27th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Sorry Jeffers but with your avatar I can't concentrate on what I'm sure is a well thought out argument.

hahaha i was worried about that being an issue....i like it so i think it's a keeper :D Camilla Belle is her name if anyone is wondering lol.