PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy de-listing!

Armchair Coach
24th July 2009, 01:57 AM
Without trying to start a flame-sesh...I'm thinking of players who would have little hope elsewhere.

Who would you like to see de-listed at seasons end?

LRT has frustrated me for years (doesn't learn from mistakes).

Donners
24th July 2009, 11:19 AM
Well, that would be a fantastic way to leave us to be slaughtered by tall forwards.

laughingnome
24th July 2009, 11:24 AM
You can't spell slaughtered (or manslaughter) without laughter.

AnnieH
24th July 2009, 11:40 AM
Dead-set.
You'd think it was the off-season or something.

Armchair Coach
24th July 2009, 12:25 PM
Well, that would be a fantastic way to leave us to be slaughtered by tall forwards.

I don't see him doing too much in that area anyway. Otherwise he'd get those jobs, and perform well at them consistently.

I couldn't imagine another club wanting him unless he was used as a deal-sweetener.

He has more ordinary games than great ones (not just this season). Poor decision maker (he's not alone). Has been tried in other positions without much effect. A passenger?

I've met LRT at an after-match, and he's a really nice bloke who makes a worthy ambassador for the club. But the team will need to rebuild and I'm not sure (aside from being a nice guy) what he'd offer during that process.

Armchair Coach
24th July 2009, 12:43 PM
Dead-set.

Do you think TPTB aren't already looking at the list? With 6 rds to go, a dwindling to non-existent "mathematical probability" of making the finals, AND trade week looming (as well as the draft), they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't.

Donners
24th July 2009, 12:57 PM
Incidentally, LRT has one of the highest kicking efficiency percentages in the whole team, and has led the way in metres gained on several occasions.

BSA5
24th July 2009, 01:01 PM
Without trying to start a flame-sesh...I'm thinking of players who would have little hope elsewhere.

Who would you like to see de-listed at seasons end?

LRT has frustrated me for years (doesn't learn from mistakes).

LRT has been our second-best defender this year (behind Bolton, and I'm excluding Shaw because he has pretty much not been used in a defensive role at all this year). Despite looking uncoordinated, he does some terrific defensive work. Last year he was up and down, probably due to the harsh foot injury he picked up in 2007 that he was coming back from, but this year he has returned to consistency. I still can't believe some of the tripe that gets spouted about LRT. His decision making and kicking is NOT in fact poor, it is quite good. Far from elite, but solid enough.

Aside from all that, he is the only remaining genuine tall defender we have. Craig Bolton, as fantastic a defender as he is, has a weakness against genuinely tall players. Did you watch him against David Hale? Ted Richards is too slight, and is at his best as a loose man. Grundy is unproven, though has shown signs down back. To delist or trade LRT would be absolute madness.

ScottH
24th July 2009, 01:20 PM
Dead-set.

Sadly, it almost is for us!!

AnnieH
24th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Do you think TPTB aren't already looking at the list? With 6 rds to go, a dwindling to non-existent "mathematical probability" of making the finals, AND trade week looming (as well as the draft), they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't.

Yeah, but it's a bit early for us to be discussing it!!!

I don't think we'll see too many sacrificed to the draft - not with so many leaving (or left).

Robbo
24th July 2009, 02:35 PM
I would like to see these blokes delisted:

Brabazon....hasn't rewarded the faith. From all reports couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat.
O'Dwyer....has had plenty of time but from what I hear his kicking is absolutely woeful.
Playfair....can't walk down the street without tweaking something
Thornton....has had 4 years and just hasn't done enough in that time. I know he was injured in 08 but someone has to go.
Schmidt....it hurts me to say this but he has to go. He is 23 and has been on the list for 5 years now, hasn't done enough. He really showed some promise in 07.

Trade bait:

Buchanan....could possibly get us a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder.
Ablett....wouldn't get us much but could be used to improve a pick. ie trade him and pick 35 for pick 25.
LRT....same as Ablett.

Melbournehammer
24th July 2009, 02:43 PM
LRT has been our second-best defender this year (behind Bolton, and I'm excluding Shaw because he has pretty much not been used in a defensive role at all this year). Despite looking uncoordinated, he does some terrific defensive work. Last year he was up and down, probably due to the harsh foot injury he picked up in 2007 that he was coming back from, but this year he has returned to consistency. I still can't believe some of the tripe that gets spouted about LRT. His decision making and kicking is NOT in fact poor, it is quite good. Far from elite, but solid enough.

Aside from all that, he is the only remaining genuine tall defender we have. Craig Bolton, as fantastic a defender as he is, has a weakness against genuinely tall players. Did you watch him against David Hale? Ted Richards is too slight, and is at his best as a loose man. Grundy is unproven, though has shown signs down back. To delist or trade LRT would be absolute madness.

LRT has had a pretty decent season. to say his decision making is quite good I think is way overstating it - he is at best serviceable - he is often allowed to run into space because he is not damaging and opposition teams know that.
Basically world beater he isn't and he is frankly suspect against any reasonably decent forward.

But then what backman isn't when the ball is coming down as often as it has been this season.

i'm-uninformed2
24th July 2009, 04:10 PM
I would like to see these blokes delisted:

Brabazon....hasn't rewarded the faith. From all reports couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat.
O'Dwyer....has had plenty of time but from what I hear his kicking is absolutely woeful.
Playfair....can't walk down the street without tweaking something
Thornton....has had 4 years and just hasn't done enough in that time. I know he was injured in 08 but someone has to go.
Schmidt....it hurts me to say this but he has to go. He is 23 and has been on the list for 5 years now, hasn't done enough. He really showed some promise in 07.

Trade bait:

Buchanan....could possibly get us a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder.
Ablett....wouldn't get us much but could be used to improve a pick. ie trade him and pick 35 for pick 25.
LRT....same as Ablett.

Don't disagree with much of that - though I think LRT has to be kept as the least worst alternative as a tall defender. And it will be sad if Schmidt doesn't realise his potential.

However, there is one proviso. With Keneally, Fosdike, MickeyO, Hall and Leo Barry all going - not to mention the likelihood of Crouch being encouraged on his way - that's six slots on our list opening up without trying.

As much as we want a fair few draft picks, picks 81, 84, 88 and 92 are all we are going to get from dumping a few underperforming kids.

Nor will most of our discardables get much on their own via trades.

I suspect the shed will not involve mass delistings, but we'll be doing our best to trade for picks - either extras or moving up - in rounds two and three by bundling some players (ie: like the Schneider/Dempster double for pick 26).

So a Bucky/Schmidt double for pick 30 or something similar. Or Bucky/Thornton with an upgrade from 45 to 35.

Otherwise, we will have a very young list full of draftees who are scraps anyway.

LRTs LoveChild
24th July 2009, 06:02 PM
If we chop LRT then we have to keep some of these other blokes. You'll need one to sit on the others shoulders and just get a really long jumper and hope that no one notices!! What other options do we have as tall defenders?

As uncoordinated as he looks, LRT doesnt do a bad job. His kicking has improved and what I like about his kicking is the if in doubt I'm gonna belt the thing 50m down the wing approach he takes. A turnover might often occur but its better 50m further down field then right in front of goals.

sWAns63
24th July 2009, 06:30 PM
You have to look at players who are still going to be around in our next premiership window in 3 to 4 years and who are worth something.

LRT will be around 30 as a defender so long as he can become a bit more consistent he could be still a playing in our next premiership tilt and we still don't have an adequate replacement for him so I would keep him.
Bucky probably wont be though, as a midfield forward type he would be worth a late 3rd or 4th round pick-definite trade bait at the moment.

lwjoyner
25th July 2009, 11:40 AM
DOK would have to be close (07 draft) as would M Laidlaw (06 draft) but some may survive with the number of retiring adding Leo and Crouchy to the list

Robbo
25th July 2009, 02:14 PM
Could also depend on how many rookies we want to upgrade.

Gilchrist has been good in the ressies this year from what has been posted.

Reggi
27th July 2009, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if any scholarship holders, are likely to be listed?

Bez
28th July 2009, 11:45 AM

thats their job, your job as a supporter is to support the boys that bleed for our club, threads like these @@@@ me

RogueSwan
28th July 2009, 12:00 PM
thats their job, your job as a supporter is to support the boys that bleed for our club, threads like these @@@@ me

but are always going to happen on a site like this. Fantasing about what could happen is an enjoyable way for people to kill time between games, myself included.

Bez
28th July 2009, 12:10 PM
but are always going to happen on a site like this. Fantasing about what could happen is an enjoyable way for people to kill time between games, myself included.

fair enough, I should have just given this thread a very wide berth i get upset easy, calling for anyones head that wears our jumper and gives his heart and soul to our team is beyond me even in fantasy land.

Go Swannies
28th July 2009, 12:15 PM
fair enough, I should have just given this thread a very wide berth i get upset easy, calling for anyones head that wears our jumper and gives his heart and soul to our team is beyond me even in fantasy land.

Dunno, I've hoped that a few would be chopped from RWO and they largely have been. Now we just need to draft for speed and talent.

CJK
28th July 2009, 12:25 PM
ChoppingLRTlol

Armchair Coach
28th July 2009, 11:12 PM

Which I do week in/week out. My boy and I are Gold lvl membership. All supporters should engage in speculation about their teams fortunes, or in our case, lack thereof. Supporters should have a place where they can air their grievances about particular players, or better yet, lavish praise on others. Or would you prefer that we sit quietly in the outer, calmly contemplating our navels?

Bloody Hell
29th July 2009, 12:35 AM
Which I do week in/week out. My boy and I are Gold lvl membership. All supporters should engage in speculation about their teams fortunes, or in our case, lack thereof. Supporters should have a place where they can air their grievances about particular players, or better yet, lavish praise on others. Or would you prefer that we sit quietly in the outer, calmly contemplating our navels?

+1

Considering the number of probable retirements - I don't think delistings will be too controversial this year.

shaun..
29th July 2009, 02:45 AM
...I still can't believe some of the tripe that gets spouted about LRT. His decision making and kicking is NOT in fact poor, it is quite good. Far from elite, but solid enough...

You really can only fault his (slow) decision making process, and that he jumps too early. Besides that he is one of the better kicks in the team.

It's odd, with LRT one week he can make J.Brown look like a goose while another week he himself is the goose. Does anyone else feel this way or is it only me?

Armchair Coach
29th July 2009, 09:58 AM
You really can only fault his (slow) decision making process, and that he jumps too early. Besides that he is one of the better kicks in the team.

It's odd, with LRT one week he can make J.Brown look like a goose while another week he himself is the goose. Does anyone else feel this way or is it only me?

Yep. Look at his last game. 18 disposals (9 kicks, 9 marks) yet he wasn't listed among our best players? A couple of his kicks were serviceable at best, the others were ho-hum. A couple of good grabs, but as a tall defender, these should be his bread and butter. 4 frees against, 2 in front of goal conceding a total of 7 points. Repeatedly exposed by the better forwards, which was allowable in his first few seasons-but it continues. Worse is his ability to be exposed by the lesser quality forwards.

I'm not picking on him for the sake of it or trying to vent frustrations. I see him as a player with potential who appears lost and has been given the benefit of the doubt because we need a strong tall down back. I just don't think its him though. Grundy on the other hand...

Bez
29th July 2009, 11:53 AM

im sure your memberships welcome, but imo your support of our player is very average esp a premiership player that bleeds for our club, and this thread is very average too especially mid season, you say alot in your posts none of it quality, I think you should support another team and mabee we can join up a decent supporter instead, one id be proud to call my fellow supporter, one that supports his players or anyone in the mighty red and white for that matter, threads like these are cancer to a club, im just 'engaging in speculation' and 'airing my grievance' too mate...lol

Armchair Coach
29th July 2009, 12:20 PM
im sure your memberships welcome, but imo your support of our player is very average esp a premiership player that bleeds for our club, and this thread is very average too especially mid season, you say alot in your posts none of it quality, I think you should support another team and mabee we can join up a decent supporter instead, one id be proud to call my fellow supporter, one that supports his players or anyone in the mighty red and white for that matter, threads like these are cancer to a club, im just 'engaging in speculation' and 'airing my grievance' too mate...lol

:rolleyes:

Bez
29th July 2009, 12:25 PM
:rolleyes:

good to see you have a sense of humour.

Armchair Coach
29th July 2009, 01:34 PM
good to see you have a sense of humour.

Heh heh. Generally, its alright.

Some points-

1. Premiership Players: Where to start. Ball, Fosdike, Kennelly, Matthews, Williams=retired. Davis=delisted (see! it does happen). Schneider/Dempster=gone to Stk. Hall made to fall on his own sword mid-season (treated fairly poorly by the club imo). You're not an idiot-we're left with Ablett, Bevan, Buchanan, Crouch and LRT=struggling (for different reasons). Micky O is on the way out. Leo may not play ever again. Kirk's future is anyone's guess (I'd love to see him coaching). Goodes, Jolly, Kirk, The Bolton's and ROK are our only premiership players who make regular and solid contributions. The others are a rabble.

2. Membership: I'm gonna blow my own horn here and declare that I am a 3rd generation paid up Swans member and supporter. My boy makes gen #4. My Dad (and his) made sure we had memberships when money was tight. Money even went to KSAS. I've supported the team through good times and bad (like a whole bunch of ppl here). Your ID to the left has you listed as "Just a fan"? Put your money where your mouth is. And use that mouth to construct a reasonable reply, or take your own advice and don't contribute to the thread.

Sheesh!

Be well.

goswannie14
29th July 2009, 03:42 PM
im sure your memberships welcome, but imo your support of our player is very average esp a premiership player that bleeds for our club, and this thread is very average too especially mid season, you say alot in your posts none of it quality, I think you should support another team and mabee we can join up a decent supporter instead, one id be proud to call my fellow supporter, one that supports his players or anyone in the mighty red and white for that matter, threads like these are cancer to a club, im just 'engaging in speculation' and 'airing my grievance' too mate...lolWhat a load of crap.

Bez
29th July 2009, 04:46 PM
What a load of crap.

so its alright to bag out our players but not bag a post (with a little tongue in cheek) in pretty much the same manner? ok im getting the hang of it now..

Bez
29th July 2009, 04:51 PM

Some points-

1. Premiership Players: Where to start. Ball, Fosdike, Kennelly, Matthews, Williams=retired. Davis=delisted (see! it does happen). Schneider/Dempster=gone to Stk. Hall made to fall on his own sword mid-season (treated fairly poorly by the club imo). You're not an idiot-we're left with Ablett, Bevan, Buchanan, Crouch and LRT=struggling (for different reasons). Micky O is on the way out. Leo may not play ever again. Kirk's future is anyone's guess (I'd love to see him coaching). Goodes, Jolly, Kirk, The Bolton's and ROK are our only premiership players who make regular and solid contributions. The others are a rabble.

2. Membership: I'm gonna blow my own horn here and declare that I am a 3rd generation paid up Swans member and supporter. My boy makes gen #4. My Dad (and his) made sure we had memberships when money was tight. Money even went to KSAS. I've supported the team through good times and bad (like a whole bunch of ppl here). Your ID to the left has you listed as "Just a fan"? Put your money where your mouth is. And use that mouth to construct a reasonable reply, or take your own advice and don't contribute to the thread.

Sheesh!

Be well.

dunno how being a member here makes my point any different, fwiw Ive only made a half dozen posts here before and was thinking of joining my fellow supporters here to support our team and players and came along your thread, if this is the general level of support they get on RWO, its probably not my cuppa tea.

Armchair Coach
29th July 2009, 07:51 PM
dunno how being a member here makes my point any different, fwiw Ive only made a half dozen posts here before and was thinking of joining my fellow supporters here to support our team and players and came along your thread, if this is the general level of support they get on RWO, its probably not my cuppa tea.

Dude...lighten the F up! ANY forum you join is going to have people with differing points of view to yours, opinions that might make you perceive things differently, trolls etc.

I'm not having a go at you. I'm only trying to tease some speculation out of other people in this community with regard to the teams rebuilding phase. Unless I woke up in Nth Korea, that aint a bad thing.

Peace Knackers.:)

Bez
29th July 2009, 10:48 PM
Dude...lighten the F up! ANY forum you join is going to have people with differing points of view to yours, opinions that might make you perceive things differently, trolls etc.

I'm not having a go at you. I'm only trying to tease some speculation out of other people in this community with regard to the teams rebuilding phase. Unless I woke up in Nth Korea, that aint a bad thing.

Peace Knackers.:)

Im always happy, but read your last post back to yourself mate, my point of view differs from yours and you sooked up not me, lol

anyway, you teased me good, peace

bennyfabulous
29th July 2009, 11:03 PM

Some points-

Sheesh!

Be well.

You really should have more @@@@@@ respect, anyone who played in the premiership year should be given all the time they want even if they are struggling, they owe us supporters nothing. In fact you owe them for the pleasure you recieved from 2005. (it may have been 72 years but it was worth the wait if you remember)

I have been a member since 03 and i will sign up again and again and again and again because i love the team, so dont suggest that being any sort of member gives you the right to bag the team or its players. Thats super weak. Have faith my friend and as stephen stills said 'if you cant have the one you love, love the one(s) your with'!.

Love the one(s) your with.

Peace

Armchair Coach
30th July 2009, 12:33 AM
You really should have more @@@@@@ respect, anyone who played in the premiership year should be given all the time they want even if they are struggling,

This isn't about my level of respect, its about realism. Barry Hall got NO respect from the club or the media at the end of season 08 when he faced uncertainty or speculation with regard to his playing future. He was the bloke who held up the Premiership cup with Roos. Look what happened to him this year. More of the same until it was too much. Frankly, I was disgusted! A player is an employee. How many industries keep rewarding lacklustre or inconsequential performances with guaranteed ongoing employment (outside of the public sector)?

they owe us supporters nothing. In fact you owe them for the pleasure you recieved from 2005. (it may have been 72 years but it was worth the wait if you remember)

Yes and no. They owe us lots. 5 players that I mentioned (excluding Crouch because I think he'll be going) would find the going tough at other clubs. Our Premiership team was a wonderful machine-at that time. Times have changed and nobody should be held back because of the past.

I have been a member since 03 and i will sign up again and again and again and again because i love the team, so dont suggest that being any sort of member gives you the right to bag the team or its players. Thats super weak.

We should all be signing up again and again and again. Any Football club is a business. An AFL club is a business which is dealing with large sums of money. Most of that revenue comes from the private sector, not us lowly supporters. Maybe they owe YOU nothing-feel a bit sorry for the sponsors though. Or maybe the club doesn't need them either.

What part of rebuilding do people not understand?

Have faith my friend

I have lots of faith in our future. I look at our younger players and feel very confident that we'll see future success. Quite simply, there is a small group of players on our list who just aint doing it anymore. It seems like arrogance, and a reliance on knowing that folks love them because their name is attached to a Premiership and they are therefore untouchable. I wish it wasn't so.

and as stephen stills said 'if you cant have the one you love, love the one(s) your with'!.

He was a Hippy who never followed AFL. But I see where you come from.;)

Peace

Back at you Man.

Bez
30th July 2009, 11:16 AM
Perhaps this is where Im going wrong? As a supporter Ive never thought of my club as a business as you do, I just support ALL our players with passion especially a premiership player that still contributes more to our club than any armchair expert, probably why I got upset at you for calling for LRTs head during the season, I dunno, mabee its just me..

Anyway, Go Bloods!

Armchair Coach
30th July 2009, 12:05 PM
Perhaps this is where Im going wrong? As a supporter Ive never thought of my club as a business as you do, I just support ALL our players with passion especially a premiership player that still contributes more to our club than any armchair expert, probably why I got upset at you for calling for LRTs head during the season, I dunno, mabee its just me..

There's nothing wrong with your/my POV. Viewing the club as a business is only one perspective. During a rebuilding phase it has to be a driving factor. It hasn't been a great season in terms of on/off field performances. And the output across the board needs to be that much greater than other teams...because we're Sydney, and we'll always be scrutinised/criticised for that.

I don't want to bomb on LRT, or any of the other players. But they're senior players now, they need to be demonstrating to the young guys coming through what it is to play for each other, and I really believe that there can only be limited space for sentiment. The club showed that with Leo Barry when they gave him another year. And let's face it-the bloke who saved us on the siren in '05 deserves everything the club can give. Personally, I hope he gets a platter of gourmet meats and cheeses delivered to his house by the club every week for the rest of his life.

Anyway, Go Bloods!

Quoted for truth. Go Bloods!

Plugger46
30th July 2009, 12:46 PM

Anyway, Go Bloods!

We all support our players when they're out there but surely you can question why some players are getting a game and some aren't. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, it doesn't make you any less passionate to question decisions that the club makes.

I don't really think of the club as a business either but the reality is that it is a business.

J_Moore
30th July 2009, 03:47 PM
Of all the players to criticise for lack of improvement, LRT has to be one of the oddest choices.

He's improved markedly this season, I reckon. He's definitely the only 'middle-aged' player to have done so, and I reckon probably half of the games this season he's been among our best. He's certainly had a lot to do, the amount of time the balls been down back.

His kicking has improved, his one-on-ones have improved, his marking's improved - I think even his decision making has improved (certainly compared to last year).

I can think of plenty of guys with less to offer than Lewie. He's busted his guts this year, and has produced results.

ScottH
30th July 2009, 08:19 PM
Of all the players to criticise for lack of improvement, LRT has to be one of the oddest choices.

He's improved markedly this season, I reckon. He's definitely the only 'middle-aged' player to have done so, and I reckon probably half of the games this season he's been among our best. He's certainly had a lot to do, the amount of time the balls been down back.

His kicking has improved, his one-on-ones have improved, his marking's improved - I think even his decision making has improved (certainly compared to last year).

I can think of plenty of guys with less to offer than Lewie. He's busted his guts this year, and has produced results.
He had a pretty good game on Sunday.

DST
30th July 2009, 08:25 PM

Agree, LRT from game 1 to what is now in excess of 100 is a totally different player and has shown marked improvement.

Never going to be the smartest rebounding KP defender going around (ala Scarlett or Lake) but he is a better than average footballer who can take a KP forward and more often than not break even and at this is point in time is about all we have got in that department.

DST