PDA

View Full Version : Freo, way to go...

Blood
9th August 2009, 08:40 PM
Freo have knocked off Port!!!

We are 4 points behind Port and have a better %.

Can we still do the impossible?

Fellow optimists only in this thread :D

swans_premiers
9th August 2009, 08:42 PM
yes we can.

If we do....we will cause some damage too ;-)

pinkemu
9th August 2009, 08:45 PM

One of the 3 tips I got right this week :rolleyes:

DST
9th August 2009, 08:46 PM
If we had knocked off the Saints we would have been in the eight tonight.

Absolute long shot and really don't care if we do get in.

Enjoying watching White, Jack, Smith, Hannaberry, Barlow and MOD play at present and seeing off our retirees with a good standard of football.

DST
:D

pinkemu
9th August 2009, 08:54 PM
If we had knocked off the Saints we would have been in the eight tonight.

Absolute long shot and really don't care if we do get in.

Enjoying watching White, Jack, Smith, Hannaberry, Barlow and MOD play at present and seeing off our retirees with a good standard of football.

DST
:D

Lets enjoy watching them take out a few of the big shots out on the way.
(Collingwood)

swans_premiers
9th August 2009, 08:58 PM
here's the deal to be in the 8 next week.

We def Cats.
Saints def Bombers
Carlton def Port

possible.

Beaussie
9th August 2009, 09:30 PM

Fingers crossed. On the AFL ladder predictor I have us finishing 8th even allowing for a loss against the Pies. First week of finals in my scenario is against the Lions. Must beat the Cats this week. Carn Swans. We can do it.

ScottH
9th August 2009, 09:37 PM
WTF?????

I'll believe it in 3 more games.

GoSouth33
9th August 2009, 09:37 PM
At least we can go into the game against the Cats with a bit of confidence. They're a little down and we're up. If we play like we did against the Saints, we win. Don't really care about finals this year: dropped those expectations a few weeks back. However, it's fun to watch the games without the pressure and the results are looking after themselves. Could be our biggest home crowd of the season next Saturday.

Lucky Knickers
9th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Well it's not over 'til it's over and I see only positives from the last couple of weeks. We pushed the leading team to a 1 point win, we've smashed a bottom team and everyone is contributing.
Cats will show us where we are at. If we can roll them then I will smash the emergency glass and get out the lucky grand final knickers.

573v30
9th August 2009, 11:03 PM
I bloody hope so but I can see the Cats mauling us back to reality... :(

BigD
9th August 2009, 11:42 PM
I predict 2 wins out of our last three

Cats - win
Pies - loss
Lions - win

I don't know that that will be enough unless a lot of other results go our way.
way.
That said, I'll be cheering and praying all the way.

SimonH
9th August 2009, 11:51 PM
One thing is looking increasingly likely. Whichever team collapses, slightly embarrassed, into 8th spot, may well have the worst 8th place record in the 16-team era. Record currently set the very first year of the era-- 1997 by the Brisbane Lions with 10-1-11 and 105%. (Which was a bizarre year where even the 13th-placed team ended up on 10-12 and so only missed the finals by half a game.)

Interestingly, in both of the first 2 run-throughs I did on the ladder predictor I did, Hawthorn made 8th (i.e. they still made it even when I had them losing to Adelaide in Melbourne this weekend). Richmond R21 speaks for itself, and even though Essendon rolled Hawthorn earlier in the year, Essendon would be a very pleasant R22 opponent for mine. Just not as hard as other teams in a finals-like environment.

Port's R21 game (Brisbane away) seems like such a certain loss, and their R22 game (North at home) such a certain win, that their real grand final is this weekend: Carlton at home.

laughingnome
10th August 2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry to rehash it, but this is the run home for the final spots in the 8:

Currently:
7 - Adelaide 11W 8L 109.00%
8 - Port Adelaide 9W 10L 90.6%
9 - Essendon 8W 1D 10L 99.3%
10 - Sydney 8W 11L 95.1%
11 - Hawthorn 8W 11L 91.4%

Adelaide: Hawthorn (MCG), West Coast (AS), Carlton (D)
Port: Carlton (AS), Lions (Gabba), North Melb (AS)
Essendon: St Kilda (D), Fremantle (S), Hawthorn (MCG)
Sydney: Geelong (ANZ), Collingwood (MCG), Lions (SCG)
Hawthorn: Adelaide (MCG), Richmond (MCG), Essendon (MCG)

With Sydney's superior percentage to Port, we need to win one more game in the final three rounds then the Power do. Port's form this year has been notoriously fickle, but with the smell of finals you must expect them to wise up. Most would pencil in a loss against Brisbane and a win against North, so a lot rides on Carlton this week. If Carlton win, Sydney can make the 8 by winning two of the last three. If Port win we have to beat every team to make it.

Essendon's draw against Brisbane holds them above us, and effictively puts them in the same boat as Port to our concern. All of Essendon's games are dangerous - St Kilda is threatening to break the Bombers' record, then a trip to Subiaco and a crunch against Hawthorn. All of them could go either way.

Hawthorn: Can make the 8 if all above them fail. Hawks fans would look at that list and say they have the easiest run home and that destiny is in their hands, and they wouldn't be totally wrong. All three games are at the MCG and they could go 3 - zip.

Doctor
10th August 2009, 01:18 PM
A one point win rather than a one point loss last week would make things look rather different right now.

What a dismal, insipid performance from Port. At least if we snuck into 8th you know we'd put up a fight in our away final. You can't guarantee Port will.

AnnieH
10th August 2009, 01:19 PM
It's the twilight of the season ... time for Fweo to kick in and start winning some games.

I tipped against my friend this week (just to @@@@ him), and managed to get six from eight. Thanks Fweo.

snajik
10th August 2009, 02:12 PM
Ideally we need the Hawks to lose to the Crows. Be handy if Port lost both of their next two, at the very least one of those. I can't see the Bombers winning any of their remaining games, and as much as I'd like to see us win our next three, it's a tall order; though something that will probably need to happen.

Hawthorn have been just as erratic as Port. Winning all three of their games seems unlikely based on their form fluctuations.

If the unlikely happens and we do get there, fingers crossed we don't have to head to Adelaide for an away final against the Crows. Brisbane or Carlton would be just fine.

Primmy
10th August 2009, 02:46 PM
I have a theory about Freo. I don't think they actually LIKE winning because when they do they have to sing that gawdawful song. Thoughts?

Dalai Lama
10th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Yo heave ho! Yo heave ho!
Once more, once more, Yo heave ho!
Pull the barge 'gainst the river's tide,
CHORUS:
Volga River stretching far and wide.
Ai da da, ai da, ai da da, ai da,
Pull the barge 'gainst the river's tide,

As the barges float along,
To the sun we sing our song...

Volga, Volga our pride,
Mighty stream so deep and wide...

Eyy, ookh-nyem! (eyy as in "play", but sung ei-yoohkhnyem) Eyy, ookh-nyem!
Ye-shcho raz ee, ye-eshcho-da raz! (ye as in yes)

Ra-zo-vyom miy ber-yo-zoo, (mi, the "i" being short but with an almost
silent y at the end as in "miue"
Raz-o-vyom miy koo-drya-voo, Ai da da, ai da, ai da da, ai da, Ra-zo-vyom
miy koo-drya-voo.

satchmopugdog
10th August 2009, 06:48 PM
Beautifully sung....