PDA

View Full Version : Round 20 - Geelong

Cheer Squad
10th August 2009, 09:32 AM
Mmmm. Do I smell an upset on the cards?

Geelong's position on the ladder belies their current form. Since their loss to St. Kilda in Round 14, they haven't looked the same team of the past few years. They've won three out of their last six games, but two of those wins were by the barest of margins. Their inevitable slide may have begun.

On the other hand, we seem to have settled down a bit since the chaos surrounding Barry Hall has faded. We played exceptionally well against St.Kilda, and finally chalked up a win in Melbourne yesterday. I think the team will run out on Saturday night with genuine belief they can win.

Fortune favours the brave. Swans by 16.

johnno
10th August 2009, 10:06 AM
Swans for the 8, Geelong missing/resting players, swans on an absolute high, swans by 43 points.

swansrob
10th August 2009, 10:10 AM
Swans for the 8, Geelong missing/resting players, swans on an absolute high, swans by 43 points.

i don't know about 43 points, but i think we'll take home the four.

floppinab
10th August 2009, 10:56 AM
I think the team has put in a huge effort in the leadup to Magic's 300th game. It was a HUGE game for this club (particularly given the poor performance prior to the HoF game). I just have a feeling we are not going to be able to maintain that intensity this Sat. and with Geelong having a few players back in this week and probably looking to ditch some of the recent criticism of their form I think they'll be more up for it than we'll be.

............ could be wrong of course.

swansrob
10th August 2009, 12:36 PM
a prediction from a Geelong fan from another forum

I think we'll drop a few players for next week against Sydney up there though. Wocjinski and Milburn will be out injured, so Scarlett and Taylor will cover them. But I wouldnt be surprised to see Johnson, Ablett, Mooney, Selwood, and maybe even Bartel miss the game. Hope no one accuses us of 'not showing respect to the opposition' if that happens though.

if this happens, we should be sitting pretty.

ugg
10th August 2009, 12:45 PM
If you aren't suffering from milestone fatigue, then come out and celebrate Goodes's 250th!

Anyone notice the increase in TV advertising for this game? I think the AFL is wary of another (relatively) low turnout at ANZ

Lucky Knickers
10th August 2009, 01:25 PM
Do it for Goodesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Primmy
10th August 2009, 02:53 PM
Do it for Goodesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Oh hell, isn't it his 250th? Go Kirky Go.

And I said we would lose, but only 1-9 points. Which is a change from my normal doomngloom (or reality check, depending on how you look at it).:frown

hammo
10th August 2009, 03:09 PM
If you aren't suffering from milestone fatigue, then come out and celebrate Goodes's 250th!

Anyone notice the increase in TV advertising for this game? I think the AFL is wary of another (relatively) low turnout at ANZ
Geelong's loss of form will help. Had the Cats been at their unbeatable best, a lot of fans and neutrals simply wouldn't bother turning up to see a clinical Geelong victory.

AnnieH
10th August 2009, 03:30 PM
Good grief.

On current form, it could go either way ... depends which swannies team turns up to play.

If they have any respect for Goodesy, the team that turned up against the ainters AND the team that turned up for the tiggers will turn up at home.

On a limb ... Swans by 2.

johnno
10th August 2009, 04:05 PM
Any chance we could have this game switched to the SCG???

hot potato
10th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Swans a real chance v. The Handbags, another milestone game, momentum swing is all with Sydney.....

Won't post post my prediction just yet, but am in form (60 pts against tiggers).

HP

swans song
11th August 2009, 07:56 PM
This is the team that played against Adelaide when the last time MC Veigh was injured
2009 AFL round 13
Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows
Saturday 27 June, 2.40pm
AAMI Stadium

Sydney Swans

B: Bevan, Roberts-Thomson, Mattner
HB: Shaw, Richards, Crouch
C: Goodes, Kirk, Bird
HF: Barlow, O?Keefe, R., Smith
F: Grundy, Hall, O'Loughlin
FOLL: Jolly, Jack, Bolton, J.
Interchange: Brabazon, Thornton, Veszpremi, White

Emergency: Ablett, O?Dwyer, Pyke

In: Brabazon, Veszpremi
Out: McVeigh (shoulder), Moore

Milestones: Barry Hall (250 AFL matches)

Interesting changes
Others who are now in are Hanneberry,Ablett
Seven out from that game six in

That leaves one spot this week from
Barry Bevan Brabazon Thornton
To replace Mc Veigh
Possible Crouch (Cork)and anyone else that should be dropped

Nico
11th August 2009, 08:45 PM
I don't wish to be a killjoy but have we forgotten that we only played a very miserable Richmond.

Nico
11th August 2009, 08:47 PM
This is the team that played against Adelaide when the last time MC Veigh was injured
2009 AFL round 13
Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows
Saturday 27 June, 2.40pm
AAMI Stadium

Sydney Swans

B: Bevan, Roberts-Thomson, Mattner
HB: Shaw, Richards, Crouch
C: Goodes, Kirk, Bird
HF: Barlow, O?Keefe, R., Smith
F: Grundy, Hall, O'Loughlin
FOLL: Jolly, Jack, Bolton, J.
Interchange: Brabazon, Thornton, Veszpremi, White

Emergency: Ablett, O?Dwyer, Pyke

In: Brabazon, Veszpremi
Out: McVeigh (shoulder), Moore

Milestones: Barry Hall (250 AFL matches)

Interesting changes
Others who are now in are Hanneberry,Ablett
Seven out from that game six in

That leaves one spot this week from
Barry Bevan Brabazon Thornton
To replace Mc Veigh
Possible Crouch (Cork)and anyone else that should be dropped

From all dispatches Barry is a bird to play. Crouch out Barry in looks the logical choice. If we get done then expect the little shorts tugger to play his farewell game in the last round.

Mountain Man
12th August 2009, 09:22 AM
Craig Bolton also to come in from the team listed for Adelaide game.

johnno
12th August 2009, 09:37 AM
The rumblings in the media here in Melbourne is that Geelong could do the same thing they did against Brisbane a few weeks ago and rest a considerable number of players for this game. Quite a few of their players are 100% injured and quite a few are playing at 60-70% full fitness. Players like, Ablett, Johnson, Taylor, Scarlett, Mooney, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman all look like they might not be playing. What a shame.:p

ScottH
12th August 2009, 09:40 AM
Johnson was given the all clear on the news last night.

ShockOfHair
12th August 2009, 12:17 PM
Scarlett and Taylor are back into the backline for the Cats. Wosjinski and Milburn are out, Rooke and Stokes not certain. There's no chance of them resting Ablett et al especially given where they're at.

They are going to be really up for this after Rohan Connolly called them Essendon 2001. They also got a huge rev-up from Bomber at their 150th on Sat night.

Thompson turns up heat on Cats - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25914481-5018851,00.html)

I just hope that after being up for two big games we don't go back to our old 'play two snooze two' quarters.

I've been travelling on the Tibetan plateau the last week which means a) I missed MOL's 300th and b) I'm still dizzy. So I'll go for the Swans by 6.

hammo
12th August 2009, 01:04 PM
The rumblings in the media here in Melbourne is that Geelong could do the same thing they did against Brisbane a few weeks ago and rest a considerable number of players for this game. Quite a few of their players are 100% injured and quite a few are playing at 60-70% full fitness. Players like, Ablett, Johnson, Taylor, Scarlett, Mooney, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman all look like they might not be playing. What a shame.:p

I can't see Geelong resting so many. They'll be up for the game like a final, as they need to get their season back on track before September.

Plugger46
12th August 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't wish to be a killjoy but have we forgotten that we only played a very miserable Richmond.

Pretty handy against St.Kilda the week before as well though. I'm not confident but the Cats are just going.

johnno
12th August 2009, 01:47 PM
I can't see Geelong resting so many. They'll be up for the game like a final, as they need to get their season back on track before September.

Look I dont think they will rest them all either(would be nice though), but I have had a look at the Geelong board over on big footy and a lot of their supporters seem to think that they are. I guess the definites that will be out are Chapman, Ottens, Stokes and Kelly. Not sure after that, perhaps they may give Scarlett and Taylor another week off, apparently Ablett, Johnson and Selwood are not 100% as well, and Mooney got injured against Carlton too.

Jeffers1984
12th August 2009, 01:59 PM
with all this uncertainty about the Cats team i'm glad my Dream team is in the prelim final so i get a week off from worrying about it.

swansrob
12th August 2009, 03:02 PM
ablett is either carrying an injury or in the worst form of his career and steve johnson was crap on friday night. i wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a few big outs in the cats side.

10Totti10
12th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Cats will play Ablett and Jonhson, though they will both be pretty average IMO. Ablett carrying an injury, while Johnson has not recovered well. Our ruck will dominate. IMO

IN: Barry, Veszpremi
OUT: McVeigh, Crouch (if injured)

We will be right to go. If McVeigh is out, Veszpa should come in for him. Can play across half forward and kick some goals. Barry comes in for Crouch though plays more of a forward role.

Most likely be

IN: Barry
OUT: McVeigh

Moore in the midfield.

Malceski should not come in after one good game. Needs to start playing consistently, get a good pre-season, then we shall see.

573v30
12th August 2009, 10:04 PM
Might as well tip the Swans against the Cats... :eek:

Swans by 3 points and another BOG performance for the 250-game milestone man. :adore

Matt79
12th August 2009, 11:20 PM

We also played a very miserable Melbourne the week prior to our inspiring performance againt the Aints.

Primmy
12th August 2009, 11:58 PM
I worry about the milestone man. He can stress out at times, especially if he is the centre of attention. He would walk on water for Mickey and Kirky, but I am not sure how he will react to being the Man for the night.....dunno.

smasher
13th August 2009, 07:00 AM
Did Ves play in the ressies on the weekend ?

Jewels
13th August 2009, 11:23 AM
Did Ves play in the ressies on the weekend ?

According to the match report he played but was injured early in the match

schwattasboots
13th August 2009, 05:18 PM
swans by 40pts

top40
13th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Cats will play Ablett and Jonhson, though they will both be pretty average IMO. Ablett carrying an injury, while Johnson has not recovered well. Our ruck will dominate. IMO

IN: Barry, Veszpremi
OUT: McVeigh, Crouch (if injured)

We will be right to go. If McVeigh is out, Veszpa should come in for him. Can play across half forward and kick some goals. Barry comes in for Crouch though plays more of a forward role.

Most likely be

IN: Barry
OUT: McVeigh

Moore in the midfield.

Malceski should not come in after one good game. Needs to start playing consistently, get a good pre-season, then we shall see.

I agree about Malceski in the short term, but please don't delist him. I am sure he will return to that great 2007 form in the near future.

hot potato
13th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Cats have lost their Mojo, Swans are settled, have a new winning attitude.
Goodes will be up for the milestone.
Sydney by 1 point.

HP