PDA

View Full Version : Sydney AFL Grand Finals....

NS20
14th September 2003, 06:59 PM
Under 18's
North Shore vs Pennant Hills

Reserve Grade

First Grade
North Shore vs UNSW/East Sydney

Anyone game to tip?
(im tipping a NS trifecta but im a bit bias)

Troy G
14th September 2003, 08:09 PM
Bad day for East Coast Eagles today!
Big day for Bombers and Demons next week with two local derbies!
Yet again Sydney AFL not part of the big Sydney footy occassion no doubt! Surely, the Sydney AFL Ist Grade Grand Final should be, deserves to be, and is worthy of being, the curtain raiser to the Swans on saturday night with the U18's and Reserves played on Sunday...it not too late to switch venues I would have thought.
But then again SydneyAFL people must be used to this kind of thing by now.

Norris Lurker
14th September 2003, 09:29 PM
Wasn't the easiest of conditions out at Campbelltown today. The flukey wind made sure of that. But it was a battle of the defences, with little way through. St George would have to be bitterly disappointed with their fadeout, failing to kick a goal after half time. UNSW-ES only kicked 3 after the break, with Cameron Templeton's height making him the only effective forward for either side.
So for the second year in a row it's North Shore taking on UNSW-ES in the big one. But this time round I'll tip North Shore to turn the tables and exact revenge for last year. The reserves have been undefeated all season, and I can't see them losing, but it'll be tougher for the U18s against a very strong Pennant Hills side.
I had my camera out at the game today, and the pics are now up at http://www.geocities.com/norris_lurker/saflprel.htm
Final scores - UNSW-ES 7.8 (50) d St George 5.6 (36)
Reserves Pennant Hills 6.12 (48) d East Coast Eagles 7.5 (47)
U18s - North Shore 6.8 (44) d East Coast Eagles 3.5 (23)

j s
14th September 2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by NS20
Under 18's

Reserve Grade

First Grade
North Shore vs UNSW/East Sydney

Anyone game to tip?
(im tipping a NS trifecta but im a bit bias)

Ditto!! (Especially the U18)

j s
14th September 2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
but it'll be tougher for the U18s against a very strong Pennant Hills side.
Have FAITH Norris!!

(Were you there for the U18 game today? I didn't see you)

Norris Lurker
14th September 2003, 10:52 PM
Yep. We got there just before quarter time in the U18s. I didn't see you either, were you up in the grandstand?

j s
14th September 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Troy G
Bad day for East Coast Eagles today!
Big day for Bombers and Demons next week with two local derbies!
Yet again Sydney AFL not part of the big Sydney footy occassion no doubt! Surely, the Sydney AFL Ist Grade Grand Final should be, deserves to be, and is worthy of being, the curtain raiser to the Swans on saturday night with the U18's and Reserves played on Sunday...it not too late to switch venues I would have thought.
But then again SydneyAFL people must be used to this kind of thing by now.
Why just the seniors? Why not all three games as curtainraisers?

The answer of course is that the games were fully committed many weeks ago. Imagine if you, as a player, had arranged your work shifts around playing the GF on Sunday then having it shifted to Saturday at one weeks notice. Also, Campbelltown has obviously committed many hours of planning, etc, towards hosting the finals.

And how about all the folk who can't afford $60 to see their team play the SydnayAFL final.

The idea is great in principle Troy but not really practical in this case.

j s
14th September 2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
Yep. We got there just before quarter time in the U18s. I didn't see you either, were you up in the grandstand?
Of course! I like to be able to see what's happening across the field.

Boy will next weekend be big! First Sat night then Sunday. I hope to be celebrating FOUR victories!

Norris Lurker
14th September 2003, 11:08 PM
Here's hoping.
5 victories actually - the other being to get Swans v Port/Eddiewood grand final tix on Sunday morning before dashing out to Campbelltown.;)

shearer
15th September 2003, 10:18 AM
In interesting stat from last years Grand Finals.Every side that had the weekend off before the GF lost.Here are my tips.

Seniors - North Shore by 28- been the best side all year and will have no injury concerns.UNSW's captain Jason McPherson was reported again and will certainly miss the GF for the second year running.

St George started well but simply ran out of players, with Garner going off in the first quarter and then losing Langsworth.

Reserves - UNSW/Easts by 100 - Best team by a mile, will do it easy..

18's - I would of said Penno comfortably but Norths have been good the last few weeks and have improved a great deal. Will be a close one.

Troy G
15th September 2003, 10:48 AM
JS,
I'm sure that the number of players that work on Saturday night would be small and their bosses would surely let them play the GF at Telstra and change shifts or make other arrangements.

Campbelltown would still host two finals thus have to make only minor changes to their planning.

Most of the people you say can't afford the $60 dollars I bet are already going to watch the Swans or will be..and we're only talking about 300-400 people!

It's very practical but it won't happen.

Triple B
15th September 2003, 01:24 PM
A good compromise would be to play the U18's, not the seniors, as a curtain raiser.

Showcase the young talent and give the kids an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Surely the AFL could give the competing clubs a few hundred tickets each at reduced prices, a small price to pay for quality pre-match entertainment.

jude_boltons_babe
15th September 2003, 03:16 PM
i cannot wait i want to get there so i can watch it all even under 18 and i cant wait to watch the bombers either bring it on

j s
15th September 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BBB
A good compromise would be to play the U18's, not the seniors, as a curtain raiser.

I would certainly be in favour of that!!

Originally posted by adam_goodes_babe
i cannot wait i want to get there so i can watch it all even under 18 and i cant wait to watch the bombers either bring it on

Waddya mean? "even under 18"? That's the most important game!! ;)

jude_boltons_babe
15th September 2003, 11:00 PM
i have freinds playing for the dees in reserve and under 18 plus in the first grade i have freinds who play for both teams

motorace_182
30th September 2003, 04:37 PM
Iv got mates in Penno 1st's, Ressies and 18s, good to see the club to well this year. They harbour a whole lot of junior clubs after U16