PDA

View Full Version : "ANZ Stadium has no atmosphere"

Bear
17th August 2009, 11:14 AM
Surely we can put this myth to bed now. There wouldn't be anyone still clinging on would there?

Saturday night was another great night of relatively open and tough end-to-end football. Something you get more of on a longer field given the difficulty in employing a rolling zone.

Good crowd.

Great atmosphere.

It would have had the 500+ business people who paid to attend the launch of Team GWS drooling for more. It will only get better with the first local derby which will be a sell out, launching a new super power of the AFL.

dimelb
17th August 2009, 12:42 PM
I can only go by what we heard on the TV, but it sounded like the crowd was getting right into it.

ScottH
17th August 2009, 12:48 PM
I can only go by what we heard on the TV, but it sounded like the crowd was getting right into it.

Especially in the last qtr.

Cardinal
17th August 2009, 12:53 PM
Surely we can put this myth to bed now. There wouldn't be anyone still clinging on would there?
Good crowd.

Great atmosphere.

Personally I still dislike the stadium. I dislike even more not being amongst the long-term members I know at the SCG. Why the Swans would introduce a new membership system which uprooted people from enjoying one of the best aspects of the game I do not know. In affect, we?re all uprooted at Homebush and it?s going to take a long time for me to get comfortable there.

I got shooshed for the first time at the game the other night. I admit I may have been loud, but I wasn't particularly drunk or obnoxious, let-alone offensive or swearing. That Swans crowd really know how to turn an opera into an epic.

It?s going to take a long time.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 12:54 PM
Sucked in to the old bag in front of me.
She turned around and bitched that I was very loud (she was trying to talk to her old bag buddy).
I said to her to suck it up, she's at the footy. If she doesn't like it, she can go and chat with her old bag mate in a coffee shop. Don't save it for the footy. (Then of course doubling my loudness - yes, it's possilbe - and getting down nice and close to her ear.)
Sucked in old bag. Hope you have to wear a hearing aid now.

royboy42
17th August 2009, 12:59 PM
Nice Annie...nice.

Cardinal
17th August 2009, 01:00 PM
She turned around and bitched that I was very loud (she was trying to talk to her old bag buddy).
I said to her to suck it up, she's at the footy. If she doesn't like it, she can go and chat with her old bag mate in a coffee shop. Don't save it for the footy. (Then of course doubling my loudness - yes, it's possilbe - and getting down nice and close to her ear.)

You're not normally in the O'Reilly are you ?

I was actually pretty polite afterwards as I don't like the idea of wrecking someone's else's enjoyment at a game. At least I think they were members as I'm sure they shooshed another mate of mine at a previous game.

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 01:03 PM
Pity the surface is so crap.

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 01:04 PM
Charming...

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 01:11 PM
You're not normally in the O'Reilly are you ?

I was actually pretty polite afterwards as I don't like the idea of wrecking someone's else's enjoyment at a game. At least I think they were members as I'm sure they shooshed another mate of mine at a previous game.

Brewongle.

You have no right to shoosh people at the footy.
It's the FOOTY. Not the opera.

Industrial Fan
17th August 2009, 01:12 PM

Saturday night was another great night of relatively open and tough end-to-end football. Something you get more of on a longer field given the difficulty in employing a rolling zone.

Good crowd.

Great atmosphere.

It would have had the 500+ business people who paid to attend the launch of Team GWS drooling for more. It will only get better with the first local derby which will be a sell out, launching a new super power of the AFL.The crowd would have fit into the SCG.

As its all relative, the ground is crap. Had a good night, but would have been so much better at the SCG. There is no character there, and even with 40k still feels empty.

Cardinal
17th August 2009, 01:14 PM
Brewongle.

Sorry I meant you sound as if you are in the O'Reilly

The higher levels at Homebush suck !!

ShockOfHair
17th August 2009, 01:18 PM
Brewongle.

Maybe you should take your avatar with you.

laughingnome
17th August 2009, 01:21 PM
The atmosphere was good but the surface reminds me of James Hird's face after it caved in - total patchwork. I'm not against rugby or soccer, just what that awful pitch is like the day after they play on it.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 01:23 PM
Maybe you should take your avatar with you.

No. What is annoying is when you're yelling and screaming at the FOOTY, some old bag who hasn't stopped talking to her old bag mate, turns around and tells you to shut up. Again ... we're at the FOOTY. I bet if she went to the opera, she wouldn't have sat there the whole time talking to her mate.

I hope she went home with a migraine!!

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 01:31 PM
Brewongle.

You don't really have any right either to constantly and loudly scream in someone's ear just because it's the footy. Having someone sitting behind you yelling at the top of their voice for the entire game is probably more annoying than being shooshed!

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 01:41 PM
You don't really have any right either to constantly and loudly scream in someone's ear just because it's the footy. Having someone sitting behind you yelling at the top of their voice for the entire game is probably more annoying than being shooshed!

Tough. Again, it's the FOOTY. Without people yelling and screaming there is NO ATMOSPHERE.

Go to the opera if you have a problem with it.

Cardinal
17th August 2009, 01:49 PM
Tough. Again, it's the FOOTY. Without people yelling and screaming there is NO ATMOSPHERE.

And we wonder why Sydney crowds have difficulty lifting the players. Mind you, you'd have to yell pretty loud to get your point accross at Homebush.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 01:51 PM
And we wonder why Sydney crowds have difficulty lifting the players. Mind you, you'd have to yell pretty loud to get your point accross at Homebush.

Not that loud ... I sit 10 rows behind the swans bench.

I have to yell louder at the SCG ... I'm at the top of the Brewongle there!!

timbo
17th August 2009, 01:58 PM
What I love now is that the Sydney crowds are really starting to get a grasp on the rules and what is happening in the game.

I mean now the crowd really starts to beckon for 50 metre penalties when there is a bit of delay on the mark, which wasnt happening a few years ago.

Also I think is that the crowd would rather see a game like that and lose rather than a 10+ goal win (ie that game against the bombers last year).

Also helps when you take big marks and tackles.

Bear
17th August 2009, 02:03 PM
The crowd would have fit into the SCG.

As its all relative, the ground is crap. Had a good night, but would have been so much better at the SCG. There is no character there, and even with 40k still feels empty.

"Empty"?? I knew there'd be one or two :rolleyes:

40,000 wouldn't have turned up to the SCG. The crowd would have been around 25-30,000 @ the SCG like all the other crowds there this year.

We get many more non-members from the geographic heart of Sydney - the West - who come as and just buy tickets on the night and bump up the crowd nicely. That's because it's easier to access for most Sydneysiders and the casual tickets are cheaper on average to what you can buy at the SCG up in the stands (after members take most of the concourse).

In terms of the surface, yes, the rugby league grandstand position from the night before is a real problem in that it compacts part of the surface and causes slipping. But if you want to take a balanced view, so is the cricket pitch in the middle of the SCG.

BOTH surfaces (in part) are "crap".

pinkemu
17th August 2009, 02:08 PM

40,000 wouldn't have turned up to the SCG. The crowd would have been around 25-30,000 @ the SCG like all the other crowds there this year.

We get many more non-members from the geographic heart of Sydney - the West - who come as and just buy tickets on the night and bump up the crowd nicely. That's because it's easier to access for most Sydneysiders and the casual tickets are cheaper on average to what you can buy at the SCG up in the stands (after members take most of the concourse).

In terms of the surface, yes, the rugby league grandstand position from the night before is a real problem in that it compacts part of the surface and causes slipping. But if you want to take a balanced view, so is the cricket pitch in the middle of the SCG.

BOTH surfaces (in part) are "crap".

Make that 3,

Give me 30,00 at the SCG any day.

Bear
17th August 2009, 02:16 PM
Make that 3,

Give me 30,00 at the SCG any day.

I'll call that two and a half.

pinkemu
17th August 2009, 02:30 PM
I'll call that two and a half.

No worries Boo-Boo

CJK
17th August 2009, 02:37 PM
ANZ Stadium has no atmosphere

yup.

Primmy
17th August 2009, 02:58 PM
From my point of view, I love the SCG, and the mob around me.

To get to ANZ includes a massive walk from the bus stop, which for some is probably not an issue, and ten years ago it wasn't either. But right now I arrive breathless and worn out. I need coffee to brighten up my day, but at $4.00 for brown water, no.

When everything gets going the ANZ is not that bad really. the sound gets locked in. However you cannot hear the cheer squad. At all. And I sit only a bay or two around the side from them and back about ten rows.

But I am close to the loos, and that is a PLUS.

I am going to invest money in the A Car park next year. I am getting too old and crabby and broken to take that walk on in future. Then I am going to arrive fresh and sparky with throat in order and coffee in my pack.

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 03:00 PM

Unsurprisingly, I don't think you get it.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 03:05 PM
Unsurprisingly, I don't think you get it.

Oh I get it all right.
I just don't agree with it.
If you want to go to the FOOTY talk to your friend ALL THROUGH THE GAME and complain to the person behind you that they are barracking for their FOOTY TEAM a bit too loudly for your liking (whilst sipping your chardy and eating home made horses doovers) ... get stuffed. Go and find somewhere else to sit. There were 60K spare seats.

Industrial Fan
17th August 2009, 03:10 PM

You need 60k plus to give it anything. That Freo game in 06 was such a hollow game -there was no way anyone could have known it was a preliminary final aside from the stupid ticket prices and crap seat allocations from ticketek.

We dont see big crowds at the SCG because that 'big' games are at Homebush. I'd be happy if we never played there again once the WS team is introduced. Possibly a necessary evil to spread the code for now, but it's a crap stadium - without discussing the turf.

I personally think the Sydney crowd would be more involved if there was a sense of it being exclusive. ie, play some sell out games at the SCG rather than playing at homebush with <50% capacity.

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 03:30 PM
Oh I get it all right.
If you want to go to the FOOTY talk to your friend ALL THROUGH THE GAME and complain to the person behind you that they are barracking for their FOOTY TEAM a bit too loudly for your liking (whilst sipping your chardy and eating home made horses doovers) ... get stuffed. Go and find somewhere else to sit. There were 60K spare seats.
I was talking about that there is a sensible middle ground between you (yelling constantly at the top of your voice) and her (perfectly quiet).

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 03:38 PM
I was talking about that there is a sensible middle ground between you (yelling constantly at the top of your voice) and her (perfectly quiet).

Oh Der. My yellling is not constant ... normally just a good serve at the umpires!
If she wasn't such an obnoxious old cow ....

pinkemu
17th August 2009, 03:39 PM

This middle ground you speak of is called quarter time and half time

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 03:54 PM
Only the truly insane or uneducated yell constantly through a quarter. There are people who do that!

timthefish
17th August 2009, 03:59 PM
Only the truly insane or uneducated yell constantly through a quarter. There are people who do that!

also the inconsiderate and those that have confused their ego with the club's identity.

Lohengrin
17th August 2009, 04:03 PM
also the inconsiderate and those that have confused their ego with the club's identity.
Yes, that too!

Big Al
17th August 2009, 04:03 PM

I have sat with Annie on a number of occasions and have absolutely no issues with the way she barracks for the team.

As long as your language is suitable and your not abusive(Umpires excluded of course;) ) then feel free to be as loud as you like.

pinkemu
17th August 2009, 04:07 PM

That,I could not handle, Lucky I'm outside puffin on a bunger during the breaks.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 04:10 PM
I have sat with Annie on a number of occasions and have absolutely no issues with the way she barracks for the team.

As long as your language is suitable and your not abusive(Umpires excluded of course;) ) then feel free to be as loud as you like.

Thanks Al.

Margo
17th August 2009, 04:20 PM
I have sat behind people who have chatted all through the game and it is very annoying. To then have them have a go at me would certainly invite a "blunt" response. Its ok in the calm of Monday to think more rationally but I can understand Annie's reaction in the heat of all that excitement. Thank God, my neighbours are great.
Also, re the coffee at ANZ. I found a little caravan type seller who has great coffee, but you do have to rush at half time to jump on the Q. At least they have Vili's pies there.

Midfield
17th August 2009, 04:30 PM
Oh I get it all right.

Or watch it at home. Yell as loud as you like annie.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 04:35 PM
Or watch it at home. Yell as loud as you like annie.

Thanks Midfield!!!!

ShockOfHair
17th August 2009, 04:44 PM
No. What is annoying is when you're yelling and screaming at the FOOTY, some old bag who hasn't stopped talking to her old bag mate, turns around and tells you to shut up. Again ... we're at the FOOTY. I bet if she went to the opera, she wouldn't have sat there the whole time talking to her mate.

I hope she went home with a migraine!!

Fair enough. There's something very wrong with people who spend the whole afternoon at the the footy gabbing.

I'm sure I'd be entertained by your presence Annie (though I'm not saying I'd actually choose to sit near you....).

Cardinal
17th August 2009, 04:50 PM
You need 60k plus to give it anything. That Freo game in 06 was such a hollow game -there was no way anyone could have known it was a preliminary final aside from the stupid ticket prices and crap seat allocations from ticketek.

We dont see big crowds at the SCG because that 'big' games are at Homebush. I'd be happy if we never played there again once the WS team is introduced. Possibly a necessary evil to spread the code for now, but it's a crap stadium - without discussing the turf.

I personally think the Sydney crowd would be more involved if there was a sense of it being exclusive. ie, play some sell out games at the SCG rather than playing at homebush with <50% capacity.

Couldn't agree with these sentiments more. I look forward to the day that tickets become just that little bit harder to obtain for SCG games and the stadium is full on a regular basis.

j s
17th August 2009, 04:54 PM
Brewongle.

There is one exception...if MickeyO is being interviewed at the next game on the big screen you'd better not make a sound till he finishes.

AnnieH
17th August 2009, 05:02 PM
There is one exception...if MickeyO is being interviewed at the next game on the big screen you'd better not make a sound till he finishes.

OK. Promise!!

matthew
17th August 2009, 05:50 PM
i prefer the SCG than ANZ stadium, the surface of the ground was crap, does anyone know when the contract at ANZ expires.

Margie
17th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Same old argument but I still think the SCG is so much better than the concrete jungle. Where we sit at Homebush, the view is average at best. The surface is awful and the atmosphere hollow.

Melbournehammer
17th August 2009, 06:47 PM

Completely agree.

I hated the fremantle game and the brisbane game and the sundry collingwood games. I travel up for 2-3 games per season and frankly give me the scg every time.

jono2707
17th August 2009, 07:00 PM
I dont mind Homebush, and I live within walking distance of the SCG. I think its a good ground to watch the game at, although I do agree that the surface was a real issue on Sat night.

What made me, and I'm sure others including Annie, cranky was the standard of the umpiring from the first bounce onwards. I really thought we were up against it on Saturday, which kind of annoyed me and although I wasnt abusive or anything I did get a bit fired up at times.

The atmosphere was pretty good on Saturday night but would have been even better if there were more Annies there. Thats the sort of passion we like to see at the footy....

alison.z
17th August 2009, 07:04 PM
The atmosphere was pretty good on Saturday night but would have been even better if there were more Annies there. Thats the sort of passion we like to see at the footy....

After Hanners kicked his goal to put us in front the atmosphere really lifted and was pretty great for the rest of the night ... the size of the crowd has nothing to do with the atmosphere - the North final with 19-odd thousand was one of the most atmospheric games i've been to!!

Lucky Knickers
17th August 2009, 07:54 PM
After Hanners kicked his goal to put us in front the atmosphere really lifted and was pretty great for the rest of the night ... the size of the crowd has nothing to do with the atmosphere - the North final with 19-odd thousand was one of the most atmospheric games i've been to!!
I was going to mention that one. Was an awesome game for atmosphere and just "togetherness" of the red and white people.
I don't mind ANZ in that they are usually big-ish games against quality opposition with a reasonable number of opposition fans which always adds something to the atmosphere.
Dislike my seats there. I also don't get people slagging the Freo game in 2006 - it was pretty good where I was sitting.

Go Swannies
17th August 2009, 07:55 PM
After Hanners kicked his goal to put us in front the atmosphere really lifted and was pretty great for the rest of the night.

His first ever AFL goal. Gotta love that.

laughingnome
17th August 2009, 08:09 PM
Dislike my seats there.

The playing surface can be fixed. The crowd can get vocal. BUT THEY CAN'T BEND THE STRAIGHT-SEATED SIDES! The flank seats - which are classed as 'Gold' - are absolutely shocking. We've told the club for the past two years that we want to move and nothing has happened. Same crap seats as last year. Why couldn't they just make it a permanent oval?

Lucky Knickers
17th August 2009, 08:17 PM
I must sit in similar position to you gnome based on your post. As there are more rectangular games played there over the season that must be the priority. I dream of when the AFL is calling the shots with 100k turning up for the derby between the Swans and Bush Pigs.

Dave
17th August 2009, 08:17 PM
Love the ground. Accessible, modern, functional. Great atmosphere when things rev up.

I was in the SCG members for the Saints game and apart from a nice dining room, it's old and out of date, with poor visibility from most seats. Same for the Ladies stand. The SCG has poles all over the place obsuring the view.

Don't get me started on the collared shirt thing...

I'm constantly amused by the reverence some people seem to have for such a disjointed looking undersized ground run by a close minded pack of twits (Ths SCG trust).

goswannie14
17th August 2009, 08:42 PM
Love the ground. Accessible, modern, functional. Great atmosphere when things rev up.

I was in the SCG members for the Saints game and apart from a nice dining room, it's old and out of date, with poor visibility from most seats. Same for the Ladies stand. The SCG has poles all over the place obsuring the view.

I'm constantly amused by the reverence some people seem to have for such a disjointed looking undersized ground run by a close minded pack of twits (Ths SCG trust).
I don't always agree with Dave, but i am with him on this one. Homebush is far superior to SCG in every way. And yes....I have sat with Annie at both stadiums.

IIRC at the Collingwood game last year an old fart in front of us complained about me being loud. After a couple of statements from us he didn't turn around for the rest of the match!

cruiser
17th August 2009, 08:53 PM
I thought that 40,000 looked good at ANZ on Saturday night although the atmosphere didnt happen til the last quarter, when the crowd really found its voice. The cheer squad were hopeless and at times in the 3rd quarter the Geelong supporters sounded louder than Sydney's.

alison.z
17th August 2009, 09:03 PM
His first ever AFL goal. Gotta love that.

His enthusiasm was awesome to watch ... great goal and great celebration - exciting stuff!!!

Hazcam
17th August 2009, 09:13 PM
Completely agree.

I hated the fremantle game and the brisbane game and the sundry collingwood games. I travel up for 2-3 games per season and frankly give me the scg every time.

Yep.

ANZ Stadium is Sydney's very own chasm. Trust me I know, I attend bulldogs games there.

The freo p/f was dreadful atmosphere wise as was the 2003 prelim final v brisbane (up until midway through the 3rd when we gained momentum). The only game I can recall that had a top atmosphere was rd 21 2003 vs collingwood. That was in part due to the ferals fans who came in their droves.

You compare that to the many SCG blockbusters over the years. Here's only a few of plenty:

- pluggers 1300th
- plugger's potential 1300th vs WCE the week b4
- vs Geelong in 1997 (46k on a sat night)
- vs Geelong semi final 2005
- vs kangas in 1999 (down by 4 goals at 3qtr time...enter paul kelly, crowd was only 29k)
- vs St Kilda s/f 1998

plus heaps more

shaun..
17th August 2009, 09:59 PM
Yep.

ANZ Stadium is Sydney's very own chasm. Trust me I know, I attend bulldogs games there.

The freo p/f was dreadful atmosphere wise as was the 2003 prelim final v brisbane (up until midway through the 3rd when we gained momentum). The only game I can recall that had a top atmosphere was rd 21 2003 vs collingwood. That was in part due to the ferals fans who came in their droves.

You compare that to the many SCG blockbusters over the years. Here's only a few of plenty:

- pluggers 1300th
- vs kangas in 1999 (down by 4 goals at 3qtr time...enter paul kelly, crowd was only 29k)
- vs St Kilda s/f 1998

plus heaps more

Well if you look at that list the ANZ was not there in that time to compare with, so its pretty hard to judge it based on that. There's only atmosphere in games if its close or if there is a significant milestone attached imo. We've played some very ordinary games at ANZ, mainly against Collingwood and hence the atmosphere would be non existent except for some loud abuse

As has been said Sat nights game was a beauty and so was the final vs Nth Melb

hammo
17th August 2009, 10:24 PM
Yep.

- pluggers 1300th
- vs St Kilda s/f 1998

plus heaps more
I think this well-worn debate is a bit of a myth. The Geelong semi final had little atmosphere until the last quarter.

hot potato
17th August 2009, 10:42 PM
I enjoy going to Homebush, when things are not quite going to plan you can dream again of Cathy Freeman running around the perimeter on that special night.

HP

liz
17th August 2009, 10:50 PM
Was nothing wrong with the atmosphere during the Roos final at Homebush last year.

Jewels
17th August 2009, 11:21 PM
Yep.

- pluggers 1300th
- vs St Kilda s/f 1998

plus heaps more

Sorry, but this is really silly. There have been heaps and heaps of games at the SCG with little to no atmosphere just as there has been at every ground in the country.
It is the quality of competition that creates atmosphere not venue.

GoSouth33
18th August 2009, 12:06 AM
I see nothing wrong with playing a few marquee games at Homebush each year. I think it's quite clear that we get people going to those game who wouldn't go to the SCG. Let's face it, getting bums on seats, and bragging rights is important in the cross code comparisons. I know of a couple of people that go to the Homebush games courtesy of corporate seats and/or Stadium membership. Whilst they're "tenuous" supporters it does give us a chance to cast the net a little wider.
I really enjoyed Sat night's game. Overall our home crowds have been disappointing this year but this would have been one of our best (if not the best).

Cheer Squad
18th August 2009, 12:16 AM

I have to agree with you. I've watched the club play just about everywhere, and it's pretty obvious the SCG has fallen way behind every other major sporting venue in the country. It certainly has the worst obstructed viewing area problem of any venue in the country, and your observations about the Trust's attitude is spot on.

top40
18th August 2009, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately chance has it that Homebush has yet to see a real classic game to remember for years. That said, I thought there were occasions where the atmosphere at Stadium Australia was electric. Witness:

Collingwood game 2003, where in drizzling rain over 70,000 packed the game.

Brisbane Preliminary Final 2003. Particularly when Luke Ablett kicked the goal close to 3/4 time to put the Swans just 3 points behind Brisbane and with momentum. Again over 70,000

Essendon Round 7 2005. A largely forgotten game but how significant! Sydney was 2-4 and down by 16 points at 3/4 quarter time, and went on to win. If they had lost? Well maybe there would have been no flag.

Collingwood 2005. A one point thriller, another big crowd, and where there was controversy over the 'lost' last 10 seconds of the game.

Brisbane 2005. First day game at the stadium. Remembered for Tadhg Kennelly's goal.

West Coast 2007 Round 1. Yet another one point thriller against our greatest rivals in front of 62,500.

St Kilda 2007. In front of over 63,000, an important and exciting win. Also the night the stadium was paraded in pink for breast cancer research.

Wardy
18th August 2009, 09:03 AM
There are so many factors to consider with regard to "atmosphere". But first and foremost, atmosphere is created by the reaction to whats actually happening on the ground in front of you. If its a high scoring game with twists and turns, exhilerating passages of play, and has you on the edge of your seat - then you & the rest of the crowd respond too it accordingly with passion and noise. If its a crap, low scoring game with continual stoppages etc, then the atmosphere is different again, it is almost a lethargic mood swing.

Whilst comfort & facilties at a venue certainly help you enjoy the occassion - it kind of takes a back seat to whats actually happening on the ground.

Most of us on here have all been fortunate enough to witness some fantastic games at both ANZ and the SCG in Sydney, and of course the majestic MCG & Dome in Melbourne - some games have been absolute ball breaking rippers, others have been like a couple of hours of having your teeth pulled and those hours are lost forever. It happens.

pinkemu
18th August 2009, 09:12 AM
I have to agree with you. I've watched the club play just about everywhere, and it's pretty obvious the SCG has fallen way behind every other major sporting venue in the country. It certainly has the worst obstructed viewing area problem of any venue in the country, and your observations about the Trust's attitude is spot on.

I can't see 1/3 of the boundary line on the eastern side of Swamplands and I'm in a premium seat.

magic.merkin
18th August 2009, 09:13 AM
being a victorian commenting on TV viewing, I think we give away to much of an advantage being there.

Cheer Squad
18th August 2009, 09:17 AM
I can't see 1/3 of the boundary line on the eastern side of Swamplands and I'm in a premium seat.

What's your bay and row number?

goswannie14
18th August 2009, 09:19 AM
The same happens at Docklands if you are sitting in the top tier. Can't see the boundary line in front of you. However, IMO,that pales into insignificance compared with what Dave is commenting on...having poles blocking your view in the middle of the ground.

Cheer Squad
18th August 2009, 09:23 AM
The same happens at Bocklands if you are sitting in the top tier. Can't see the boundary line in front of you. However, IMO,that pales into insignificance compared with what Dave is commenting on...having poles blocking your view in the middle of the ground.

I've noticed the same thing happens at the MCG in the Olympic Stand, to my surprise. The higher you go, the more the boundary line is eclipsed.

Lohengrin
18th August 2009, 09:47 AM
On TV, Homebush is a better spectacle than the SCG, except for the poor surface.

Big Al
18th August 2009, 10:14 AM
Anyone that has seen my seats at the SCG (Front section of Brewongle stand opposite the Centre Bounce) will understand why I prefer the SCG. Their is no equivalent viewing angle for me at Homebush. They seat me on Level 4 which is too high compared to the SCG and and Level 1 is too low.

As for the atmosphere debate, I still believe the SCG to be superior but do concede that the perception of atmosphere is an individual thing and everyone will have a different view.

Wardy
18th August 2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone that has seen my seats at the SCG (Front section of Brewongle stand opposite the Centre Bounce) will understand why I prefer the SCG. Their is no equivalent viewing angle for me at Homebush. They seat me on Level 4 which is too high compared to the SCG and and Level 1 is too low.

As for the atmosphere debate, I still believe the SCG to be superior but do concede that the perception of atmosphere is an individual thing and everyone will have a different view.

if you can keep your seats at the SCG - then get a members reserve passes in the Red Zone where we sit at ANZ Northern end - about 30 rows up behind the goals - fantastic spot! (and only 15 paces from the bar, 30 paces to the loos) we like it!

pinkemu
18th August 2009, 10:52 AM
The same happens at Docklands if you are sitting in the top tier. Can't see the boundary line in front of you. However, IMO,that pales into insignificance compared with what Dave is commenting on...having poles blocking your view in the middle of the ground.

Ahhh but it's a beautifull old stand.

pinkemu
18th August 2009, 10:54 AM
I've noticed the same thing happens at the MCG in the Olympic Stand, to my surprise. The higher you go, the more the boundary line is eclipsed.

and if your on the lower section undercover close to the goals you can't see the top half of the goals.

AnnieH
18th August 2009, 12:45 PM

During our standing ovation for Hanners, I accidently hit the lady in front of me in the head. She just doesn't get it!!!

Go Swannies
18th August 2009, 12:53 PM
During our standing ovation for Hanners, I accidently hit the lady in front of me in the head. She just doesn't get it!!!

Annie - are you Barry Hall?

In any case claim incidental contact and that it was in play.

alison.z
18th August 2009, 12:54 PM

Quite understandable that injuries were caused in all the excitement!! - I was perhaps a little excited for his goal too ;) I've been waiting for 5 games and what an awesome goal :D :D :D - It was "the moment" of the Swans/Geelong game on the AFL's 8 moments this week too!!!!

Wardy
18th August 2009, 12:59 PM
Quite understandable that injuries were caused in all the excitement!! - I was perhaps a little excited for his goal too ;) I've been waiting for 5 games and what an awesome goal :D :D :D - It was "the moment" of the Swans/Geelong game on the AFL's 8 moments this week too!!!!

yes I jumped up out of my seat and did the same thing - the people who were with me (all Geelong supporters in the blue and white gear) couldnt quite understand my excitement - I explained it was the kids first goal - they then stood and applauded him too.

Bear
18th August 2009, 02:19 PM
You still get all the vested interests and whining about certain aspects of each stadium, and using selective examples to try to convince others that the SCG or ANZ is "better", but at least no-one is still saying that "ANZ has no atmosphere" anymore.

Myth exploded.

Dave
18th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Ahhh but it's a beautifull old stand.

Which should be knocked down and rebuilt up at Nth Sydney Oval like the rest of the old stands were...;)

Cardinal
18th August 2009, 02:26 PM
ANZ stadium does nothing to help the atmosphere whereas I would argue the SCG does ??

Wardy
18th August 2009, 02:36 PM
In this life you cant please everyone - so you I guess you just try and enjoy what you have at your disposal.

Industrial Fan
18th August 2009, 02:40 PM
You still get all the vested interests and whining about certain aspects of each stadium, and using selective examples to try to convince others that the SCG or ANZ is "better", but at least no-one is still saying that "ANZ has no atmosphere" anymore.

Myth exploded.It's not a "myth". It's my opinion.

You're entiled to yours as I am to mine. Although your opinion may or may not be "mythical".

Big Al
18th August 2009, 02:57 PM

I'm nursing a broken finger at the moment and in my excitement I clapped my hands together. Lets just say I will always remember Hanners first goal :eek:

AnnieH
18th August 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm nursing a broken finger at the moment and in my excitement I clapped my hands together. Lets just say I will always remember Hanners first goal :eek:

They say that the clap can sometimes hurt.;)
Silly boy.

Should we ask how you broke your finger?

Big Al
18th August 2009, 04:07 PM
They say that the clap can sometimes hurt.;)
Silly boy.

Should we ask how you broke your finger?

Hahahahahah:p

I'd like to say I did it in some heroic pursuit but it was the @@@@ing Brother in law who dropped a cupboard on it while I was helping him move. Now it looks like a burnt fish finger and hurts like hell. :mad:

Wardy
18th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Hahahahahah:p

I'd like to say I did it in some heroic pursuit but it was the @@@@ing Brother in law who dropped a cupboard on it while I was helping him move. :mad:

simple solution - never offer to help anyone, and I mean anyone, move house, it always ends in tears! ;)

pinkemu
18th August 2009, 04:34 PM
Which should be knocked down and rebuilt up at Nth Sydney Oval like the rest of the old stands were...;)

Then there would be no hill at North Sydney Oval, Can't have that.

Primmy
18th August 2009, 04:34 PM
simple solution - never offer to help anyone, and I mean anyone, move house, it always ends in tears! ;)

You too Wardy? However I would offer to help Roosy (wouldn't you just love to have a sticky), and BBB and Leo and and you get the picture. If I broke my finger doing that perhaps I could ask them to kiss it better.....:o ......now back to footy.

Cardinal
18th August 2009, 05:34 PM

I think some people clap too hard and too loud. It's a real problem at the footy these days.

Primmy
18th August 2009, 06:56 PM
I think some people clap too hard and too loud. It's a real problem at the footy these days.

:rofl (clap) :rofl (clap) (clap)

Blood
19th August 2009, 04:22 AM

Fair call.

Annie, you had every right to tell the whiney old bad to shove it.

Robbo
19th August 2009, 10:20 AM
Watching on TV Saturday night the atmosphere seemed like it would of been pretty good, especially when Hanners kicked that goal to put us in front.

However the music played at the ground is very gay.