PDA

View Full Version : Outside run

Chilcott
24th August 2009, 06:23 PM
We clearly missed some quick outside run against the Pies and I'm struggling to work out where we can get it.

Nick Malceski had a shocker of a season and have my doubts whether he'll be able to regain his form in 2010.

Brett Meredith has good pace, but is probably another season away from showing consistent form.

Shaw and Mattner are used in the back half and we need pace around the wings and forward half.

Maybe we need to trade a draft pick or some players to inject some pace into the team. Players like Wojinski or Varcoe would be OK.

Anyone else think of quick outside players who could be tradeable by their clubs?

troyjones2525
24th August 2009, 07:30 PM
I really think we need to draft one. I haven't had much of a look at the prospects for this year but you would hope that by pick 7 there should be a quality outside mid available. Although with that pick i really feel we should go with the best available whatever position he plays. We need KPP's too so i just hope that whoever we get they are the right pick and not a bust!

shaun..
24th August 2009, 08:00 PM
Malceski isn't that quick but times his run pretty well.
Lovett/Winderlich would be awesome additions to the squad

Lucky Knickers
24th August 2009, 08:06 PM
How about Vesz? He seems to have had a couple of games at HB - is it possible they could play him there next season similar to how Schneider?Buchanan started?

hammo
24th August 2009, 08:26 PM
I think the best advice is to not look for a quick solution.

You answer your own question by saying Meredith is pacey but likely to be inconsistent because of his inexperience. The same can be said of many of our youngsters, which is all part of the rebuilding stage we are now in.

I'm pretty sure we'll draft an outside midfielder with our first pick this year.

I haven't seen anyone post this article yet, but in it, Roos goes through the departing and recently departed players and nominates the youngsters to step up in their place. Apart from the glowing praise for Nick Davis (!!) it is obvious the club is keen to fill the Fosdike role.

Pressure on young Bloods to fill the void - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/pressure-on-young-bloods-to-fill-the-void/2009/08/22/1250362255076.html)

Reggi
24th August 2009, 08:37 PM
I think the best advice is to not look for a quick solution.

You answer your own question by saying Meredith is pacey but likely to be inconsistent because of his inexperience. The same can be said of many of our youngsters, which is all part of the rebuilding stage we are now in.

Pressure on young Bloods to fill the void - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/pressure-on-young-bloods-to-fill-the-void/2009/08/22/1250362255076.html)

Here here, develop our own players

Primmy
25th August 2009, 12:29 AM
How about Vesz? He seems to have had a couple of games at HB - is it possible they could play him there next season similar to how Schneider?Buchanan started?

I am sure he would love it, but he blows up - his tank isn't quite what you would require for that job. Guts and Glory job would suit him.:p

RogueSwan
25th August 2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think it is so much that we need any more pacey(sp?) midfielders, just quicker and cleaner movement to get the ball out to the ones we already have. This will give our outsiders that vital extra time to allow for quality disposal. Hopefully this will come with time and experience.

pig@fullforward
25th August 2009, 12:33 PM
Danyle Pierce from Port Adelaide

snajik
25th August 2009, 01:18 PM
I really think we need to draft one. I haven't had much of a look at the prospects for this year but you would hope that by pick 7 there should be a quality outside mid available. Although with that pick i really feel we should go with the best available whatever position he plays. We need KPP's too so i just hope that whoever we get they are the right pick and not a bust!

Lose to Brisbane by 7-8 goals and we could be looking at pick 6.

Cardinal
25th August 2009, 02:05 PM

Got my eye on him - with all the talk of Port going heavy on the trades. The Power would want something good though

Triple B
25th August 2009, 02:16 PM

Gee, he would be a terrific get. EXACTLY the type of player we need.

Primmy
25th August 2009, 02:20 PM
Well blow me down with a feather!!! I was going to say Danyle Pearce, but thought you would have larrrfed!!! I am tickled.

So is the kid available? Does he like us? Or are we just brilliant but haven't a hope?

floppinab
25th August 2009, 02:26 PM

ha ha another Sturt man. Would be good to have another indigenous player in the ranks as well.

GoSouth33
25th August 2009, 02:27 PM
wouldn't hurt to boost our indigenous quota as well.

snajik
25th August 2009, 03:38 PM
wouldn't hurt to boost our indigenous quota as well.

It would double.

Cardinal
25th August 2009, 04:23 PM
Would you swap a 1st round draft pick for a rising star ?

pig@fullforward
25th August 2009, 04:40 PM
seems to be a little out of favour with the current coach from what i've heard could possibly be got for a 2nd rounder and a player!

Primmy
25th August 2009, 05:13 PM
Would you swap a 1st round draft pick for a rising star ?

Probably not, but if he wants to come to Sydney then probably a second round pick. Its only going to work if they WANT to come. He is a bright young man and that's a plus.

Do you think we have any influence at all in what the recruiting wallas do?

royboy42
25th August 2009, 05:36 PM
Do you think we have any influence at all in what the recruiting wallas do?[/QUOTE]

In a word??? NO. But it's fun playing.

smasher
25th August 2009, 05:56 PM
IF I was looking to take someone from PA I would look at Salopek first.He's a ball magnet and is consistant.He has definately been a victim of the unrest at his club.

hammo
25th August 2009, 05:59 PM
Meantime, back here in the real world:

?We?ll get a couple of quality kids in and we?ll have six, seven or eight spots at the end of the year for some younger players.

Swans open to Kennelly return - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/83458/default.aspx)

DST
25th August 2009, 06:24 PM
Meantime, back here in the real world:

Swans open to Kennelly return - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/83458/default.aspx)

That seems to confirm that if Kennelly remains overseas then we are likely to only chop 2 off the list at most this year. The other five are all retirements in MOL, Hall, Leo, Fosdike and Crouch.

At this stage it will be Playfair for injury reasons and Brabazon.

Anymore draft choices or rookie elavations past 7 or 8 would just be a waste.

DST
:D

UglyDuckling
25th August 2009, 07:12 PM
I havn't seen a lot of him play but from the sounds of it Danyle Pearce seems ideal; lightning quick, good skills and only 23. He sounds like exactly what we need. A second rounder would be a steal for a former rising star at the right age to take the next step into an elite midfielder.

Plugger46
25th August 2009, 07:19 PM
At this stage it will be Playfair for injury reasons and Brabazon.

Agree that these two will (and should be) be the two to go. Playfair should go for injury reasons, as well as ability reasons.

Cardinal
25th August 2009, 07:31 PM
Probably not, but if he wants to come to Sydney then probably a second round pick. Its only going to work if they WANT to come. He is a bright young man and that's a plus.

Do you think we have any influence at all in what the recruiting wallas do?

FACT: One of RWO = Andrew Ireland

DST
25th August 2009, 08:29 PM
If it is going to be a second rounder it would need to be Melbourne's at 18th to have any chance of making the deal happen. I can't see us having anyone of interest to trade to Melbourne for this pick considering where they are at present.

Maybe Jolly, which is not going to happen.

DST
:D

Old Royboy
25th August 2009, 09:22 PM

Ay first I thought, downhill skier, typical Port player. But Pierce infused with the bloods culture is one hell of a player. As long as he does not cost too much and passes the NDH test, definitely worth a look.

Primmy
25th August 2009, 10:11 PM
FACT: One of RWO = Andrew Ireland

Oohh goodee. Now listen Andrew, it seems the concensus of opinion among us armchair coaches is that Danyle Pearce is a wanted man. So see what you can do for us. Thanks. :D :D :D :D

swans song
25th August 2009, 10:18 PM
Pearce is one if not the most unaccountable player in the comp.
He rakes up possesions however he doe's not man up and regulary his opponent makes Port hurt
No hope in Syd culture