PDA

View Full Version : Roos says"No Big Names"

smasher
26th August 2009, 06:50 AM
Just read an article in todays age that Sydney will not be chasing after any big names and will be using their draft picks on players in this,the last,uncomprimised draft.
It is common knowledge and Swans have not denied that we have put in an offer for Brian Lake but it seems he is going nowhere.

Bloody Hell
26th August 2009, 07:34 AM
I thought Roos denied the Lake offer?

Things are starting very early...

ScottH
26th August 2009, 07:35 AM

He did on the radio on the w/e.

Primmy
26th August 2009, 08:24 AM
He did on the radio on the w/e.

Do you mean to say we have been wasting all this mental and verbal activity on nothing!!! Now that is an unforseen blow.:p

CureTheSane
26th August 2009, 09:22 AM
Do you mean to say we have been wasting all this mental and verbal activity on nothing!!! Now that is an unforseen blow.:p

:D

Cardinal
26th August 2009, 10:12 AM

Maybe ? but I now have an explanation as to why the Victor Trumper stand was levitating

Go Swannies
26th August 2009, 10:33 AM
Roos must be a master poker player. There's always smoke and mirrors.

If he's denying it already you can expect to see Roughead playing alongside Steve Johnson and Jon Brown in our forward line next year.

Jewels
26th August 2009, 11:11 AM

If he's denying it already you can expect to see Roughead playing alongside Steve Johnson and Jon Brown in our forward line next year.

Now that's a forward line to drool over!
Mind you, the way we feed a forward line, they wouldn't kick any more goals than this years combos.

Industrial Fan
26th August 2009, 01:04 PM
Well, that rules out Giansiracusa.

msb
26th August 2009, 01:06 PM
Of course he is going to deny it! If he comes out and says "Yep we are after lake" at this stage before the season is over it would be ridiculous. They will make a play for him, guaranteed, it could be a very interesting trade/draft period.

caj23
26th August 2009, 01:22 PM
Only way to get him will be to trade 1st rounder or quality young player

It would be a bad move IMO and a step backwards in our rebuilding

hammo
26th August 2009, 01:31 PM
Well, that rules out Giansiracusa.

Farren Ray?

hammo
26th August 2009, 01:35 PM
They will make a play for him, guaranteed, it could be a very interesting trade/draft period.
Make a play with what?

Dalai Lama
26th August 2009, 01:36 PM
The Pav is just simply a big meringue then?

Industrial Fan
26th August 2009, 01:39 PM
Farren Ray?Apparently eligible.

Industrial Fan
26th August 2009, 01:51 PM
Jason Roe may be another target.

Possibly Adem Yze from retirement?

Lohengrin
26th August 2009, 02:03 PM
Now that's a forward line to drool over!
Mind you, the way we feed a forward line, they wouldn't kick any more goals than this years combos.
:D Haha - exactly what I thought! :eek: :(

BSA5
26th August 2009, 03:44 PM

He said he doubted Lake would go anywhere, and indicated that it was mostly just media speculation. I don't think he ever denied we'd look at him if he was on offer, he just doubted he'd be on offer. If he has since ruled it out though, I'm willing to stand corrected.

msb
26th August 2009, 04:03 PM
Make a play with what?

I dont know, some sort of deal, they have to dont they? Someone must of heard the 5 year $2.5 million offer that has been bandied about from somewhere! Through the PSD as an uncontracted player would be ideal hopefully with a huge price tag so no other club below on the ladder could afford Lake

DST
26th August 2009, 07:59 PM
I dont know, some sort of deal, they have to dont they? Someone must of heard the 5 year $2.5 million offer that has been bandied about from somewhere! Through the PSD as an uncontracted player would be ideal hopefully with a huge price tag so no other club below on the ladder could afford Lake

If you would like the club to go about building the list like that, then go ahead.

But that would leave us with zero credibility in the football world and ruin all the hard work we have put in over the last 10 years to build a club that is respected.

If we want Lake and he wants to come then trade for him like everyone else, but it will take our first pick or the likes of Goodes in a combo to do it and the club is not willing to do either.

DST
:D

DeadlyAkkuret
27th August 2009, 12:27 AM
Goodes in a combo for Lake? Are they chucking in Higgins, too?

Armchair Coach
27th August 2009, 12:56 AM
Y'know. I just can't see the club EVER letting Goodes go. Even if Jesus was a Norm Smith medallist and up for grabs.

DeadlyAkkuret
27th August 2009, 05:11 AM
I wouldn't want Goodes to go for anyone, and I mean anyone.

Wardy
27th August 2009, 08:13 AM
maybe Roos is looking towards other sports again to get players. Jesse White was from basketball (or was it volleyball ?) and so far that experiment is doing pretty well - the jury is still out on the Rugby player Mike Pyke - perhaps he is looking towards Handball players next (now that game is quick, and has a ball in it?).

msb
27th August 2009, 12:46 PM
If we want Lake and he wants to come then trade for him like everyone else, but it will take our first pick or the likes of Goodes in a combo to do it and the club is not willing to do either.

DST
:D[/QUOTE]

All the more reason to get him in the PSD! We would never get a trade done otherwise.

Big Al
27th August 2009, 02:23 PM
maybe Roos is looking towards other sports again to get players. Jesse White was from basketball (or was it volleyball ?) and so far that experiment is doing pretty well - the jury is still out on the Rugby player Mike Pyke - perhaps he is looking towards Handball players next (now that game is quick, and has a ball in it?).

Maybe Roos should think outside the square and hire some Hells Angels to roam the forward line. Rest assured they would take a lot of "uncontested marks" up there.

mcs
27th August 2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe Roos should think outside the square and hire some Hells Angels to roam the forward line. Rest assured they would take a lot of "uncontested marks" up there.

:p

Hartijon
27th August 2009, 03:04 PM

The choppers would mess up the turf too much.

Puppy Eyes
27th August 2009, 03:10 PM
Y'know. I just can't see the club EVER letting Goodes go. Even if Jesus was a Norm Smith medallist and up for grabs.

That's just silly, Jesus is over 2,000 years old, and whilst he has been known to work miracles, his recent form has been pretty quiet. Also, I think we're done with the International experiment thing, after Murphy and Coney's efforts.

Armchair Coach
27th August 2009, 07:10 PM
That's just silly, Jesus is over 2,000 years old, and whilst he has been known to work miracles, his recent form has been pretty quiet. Also, I think we're done with the International experiment thing, after Murphy and Coney's efforts.

:p I reckon he'll surprise you. Still gets plenty of the ball and is a fan favourite. And his age just goes in his favour as an experienced player. As long as the Umpires don't try to crucify him ala Barry Hall.

Primmy
27th August 2009, 09:18 PM
:p I reckon he'll surprise you. Still gets plenty of the ball and is a fan favourite. And his age just goes in his favour as an experienced player. As long as the Umpires don't try to crucify him ala Barry Hall.

We have too much time on our hands. LOL!!!

satchmopugdog
27th August 2009, 10:06 PM

Didn't JC cause Peter Hudson to be moved out to CHF at Hawthorn..or so the story goes.

Armchair Coach
27th August 2009, 10:16 PM
Didn't JC cause Peter Hudson to be moved out to CHF at Hawthorn..or so the story goes.

Yep. It was all his idea. He was also Pluggers personal kicking coach and is close friends with the Skilton's.;)

Lucky Knickers
27th August 2009, 10:23 PM
Whatever happened to his two assistants?

sidswan
27th August 2009, 10:27 PM
HaHa satch you must be nearly as old as me to remember that story:D

Armchair Coach
27th August 2009, 10:28 PM
Whatever happened to his two assistants?

I thought he had 12 assistants. Seriously, that's going to lead to a nasty case of micro-management. Jesus probably doesn't need assistants though. He IS Jesus.

Lucky Knickers
27th August 2009, 10:32 PM
I thought he had 12 assistants. Seriously, that's going to lead to a nasty case of micro-management. Jesus probably doesn't need assistants though. He IS Jesus.
I meant the two that got "nailed" with him by the umpires
I thought those 12 were the international rules team. Bloody Judas Fevola!

Trickster
27th August 2009, 10:33 PM

Forgive them Plugger-they know not who they support?

Darren Thomson
27th August 2009, 10:38 PM

How good would that be? If this is Roosy's plan, we'll be hailing him a hero, not that I don't anyay, after all, how many other coaches have brought us a flag, two grand finals, two brownlows, and a bunch of ashen faced Melbourne journo's eating humble pie for several years. All hail Paul Roos, as far as I'm concerned he can do no wrong. If I had any boys of my own, I'd want him as a role model for them. To hell with anyone who bags him:D

Darren Thomson
27th August 2009, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't want Goodes to go for anyone, and I mean anyone.

I agree, best player we have, cannot be let go, and most likely wouldn't want to go. If the players statements are to be believed, then this is THE footbal club to play for, all the imports have said so, and well, I choosed to believe them:confused: