PDA

View Full Version : Please Draft Lewis Jetta

pig@fullforward
28th August 2009, 12:04 PM
Having read a little about him it seems he would be a perfect fit, it would keep Goodes happy to have someone to mentor & he is 20 so would slot in straight away, he is lightning quick with great skills i think he would have to be a first round choice.
Lewis Jetta thrives from Swan Districts&squo; initiative | PerthNow (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25908093-5005401,00.html)

AnnieH
28th August 2009, 12:36 PM
I don't fancy our chances if he's too high a pick.
But yes, it would be noice.

Hartijon
28th August 2009, 01:48 PM
Having read a little about him it seems he would be a perfect fit, it would keep Goodes happy to have someone to mentor & he is 20 so would slot in straight away, he is lightning quick with great skills i think he would have to be a first round choice.
Lewis Jetta thrives from Swan Districts&squo; initiative | PerthNow (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25908093-5005401,00.html)
IMO We should make him the number one choice. He might be higher than 7 however.
That and a KPP backman and watch the Swans fly in 2010!

Jeffers1984
28th August 2009, 02:10 PM
if we don't take him with our first i reckon West Coast will draft him with their 2nd.

hammo
28th August 2009, 02:56 PM
If we're interested then we're keeping it under wraps.

I've had interviews with West Coast and Adelaide, and have got letters from North Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood.

Hartijon
28th August 2009, 03:32 PM
If we're interested then we're keeping it under wraps.
yeah ,its been discussed on here many times before..we don't seem to recruit the quick ,talented indigenous players who play the game with flair. The supporters want them, the general public love them , the recruiters?????

Margo
28th August 2009, 03:46 PM
I loved watching Derek Kickett and Troy Cook in the old days. MOL and Goodes are far classier players but those guys were fearless and great to watch.

Captain
28th August 2009, 05:28 PM
Too funny, he is working at my old school... if that's not a sign for us to take him then I don't know what is:cool:

Robbo
28th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Would be a good choice he is an absolute freak and so so quick. He's more of a midfielder than a small forward.

Hazcam
28th August 2009, 11:27 PM
I loved watching Derek Kickett and Troy Cook in the old days. MOL and Goodes are far classier players but those guys were fearless and great to watch.

Yep and Robbie Ahmat as well

satchmopugdog
29th August 2009, 07:25 AM
Read on the AFL website he is expected to go in the top 16..so we may have a chance.

CureTheSane
29th August 2009, 10:34 AM
If we really want this bloke, then there is only one guaranteed way to get him on board.
SSI

:D

DST
29th August 2009, 11:14 AM
We should pick up the best available at pick 7.

If we are lucky enough to have choice of midfielder or KP, then I would be expecting a very quick, fast outside midfielder wtih our first pick.

But that will be dependent on whether someone like that is available.

DST

i'm-uninformed2
29th August 2009, 11:27 AM
If we win tonight we're out to at least pick 10. Tanking anyone???

laughingnome
29th August 2009, 11:49 AM

No.

If Brisbane wins by more then 3.5 points then we finish 12th (6th pick as Melbourne will get the first two, if I'm not mistaken).

If Brisbane wins by less then 3.5 points we will finish 11th, with 7th pick.

If Sydney wins by any margin it gets a bit more complicated:
- If both Hawthorn and Port Adelaide win we will finish 11th.
- If either Hawthorn and Port Adelaide lose we will finish 10th.
- If both Hawthorn and Port Adelaide lose we well finish 9th, giving us pick 9.

That covers all possibilties, and there is no way we can get pick 10 unless we finish 8th or if I'm mistaken about Richmond. My thinking is they only get one pick in the first round, as they won 5 games this year.

BSA5
29th August 2009, 11:49 AM

Not if two of Hawthorn, Port or Melbourne (unlikely) win. If Melbourne win and we lose, we get pick 5. If Melbourne lose and we lose, we get pick 6.

eggbeater
29th August 2009, 05:48 PM
hawthorn lose hmm

pig@fullforward
30th August 2009, 09:21 AM
good chance now since we pick before the weagles!

sWAns63
1st September 2009, 07:06 PM
Too old to be a top ten pick could pick him up later in the draft top 10 picks are for players like Rohan, Scully & Lucas etc.
I've been mentioning Lewis Jetta for a while though not as a 1st round pick.

sWAns63
5th September 2009, 08:45 PM
I eat my words
After seeing Lewis Jetta playing for Swan Districts in the WAFL against West Perth today he is a serious 1st round draft pick who will definately play AFL next next year.
His poise and evasive skills and blistering pace could be used anywhere outside midfielder half back or up forward.
Maybe he is worth a 1st round pick we would have a replacement for Mickey, though no one would ever fill his shoes.

Robbo
5th September 2009, 10:03 PM
Watched the game aswell sWAns63 as much as it hurt to watch him demolish my side it was exciting to know that we are a chance to get him soon. After watching him today he is now my preferred target with pick 6. He's an absolute gun.

AnnieH
5th September 2009, 10:09 PM
Watched the game aswell sWAns63 as much as it hurt to watch him demolish my side it was exciting to know that we are a chance to get him soon. After watching him today he is now my preferred target with pick 6. He's an absolute gun.

from your mouth to the swannies selectors' ears!!!

(**she prays**)

Robbo
5th September 2009, 10:40 PM
YouTube - afldraftinfo.com - Lewis Jetta vs SA - 2009 State Game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OwSFxHUqY)

YouTube - afldraftinfo.com - Lewis Jetta vs Subiaco - 2009 WAFL Season - Round 12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM6fLvH-m9k&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWVKxTFPJk&feature=related

Tuhob
5th September 2009, 11:23 PM
Having watched those vids, Jetta seems to be a pretty good kick to advantage and seems to have good vision to spot targets quickly. Combined with good pace he would seem to be someone we should seriously consider. Is a bit skinny though (not unlike Micky when he first started :D ). The other issue that I've read about could be a go home/homesick factor.

AnnieH
6th September 2009, 05:02 PM
Having watched those vids, Jetta seems to be a pretty good kick to advantage and seems to have good vision to spot targets quickly. Combined with good pace he would seem to be someone we should seriously consider. Is a bit skinny though (not unlike Micky when he first started :D ). The other issue that I've read about could be a go home/homesick factor.

He's a star in the making that kid!! Thanks for the vids Robbo.

I think that's so much a problem anymore - well, aside from that Irish bloke (whatshisname - not Tiger) and Anthony Rocca (mummy's boy!).

I think the kids realise that if they want to play at top level, they have to make the sacrifice.

573v30
6th September 2009, 07:25 PM
Well... we're more of a chance to pick him than the Eagles if he's expected to a first rounder.

Hartijon
10th September 2009, 05:05 PM
He starred in a recent final,26possessions and 3 goals.Also starred earlier in State of origin. He's a big game player in the Rich mould and style.
Yes..draft him please!!We got Goodsey and maybe MOL to ease the homesickness.

Vonsteinman
10th September 2009, 05:41 PM
We got Goodsey and maybe MOL to ease the homesickness.

Are you sure you understand the reasons why indigenous Australians feel "homesick" when they leave their country?

Undoubtedly he's a talent and from what I'm told, a pretty solid young man as well, but if the club is half as good at dealing with player welfare as I give it credit for, it will not draft Jetta on the strength of the fact that Goodesy and Mick are around if there's a chance he's going to get "homesick".

Hartijon
10th September 2009, 06:06 PM
yes, just like people everywhere in the world , they miss their family,their relatives,their friends and all the people they have had a close affinity with. With indigenous there may also be a spiritual factor of missing the land which is their country meaning the land they are attached to from time immemorial. Obviously ,as Goodsey and MOl have shown ,it is possible to overcome this and deal with it as an indigenous player,hence my reference to them being a good support and my amazement that anyone could possibly disagree with this.

Legs Akimbo
10th September 2009, 06:25 PM
With indigenous there may also be a spiritual factor of missing the land which is their country meaning the land they are attached to from time immemorial.

Claremont?

Vonsteinman
10th September 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure he's from Bunbury originally, although is now living in Perth and, potentially, is the perfect candidate to join the Swans and be supported by the likes of Micky and Goodesy.

However, it continues to AMAZE me how some people assume that because we have two Indigenous players attached to the club then we should just pick any Indigenous player without regard for their attachment to home, because Mick and Goodesy will sort them out.

T-bag
10th September 2009, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes:

at recent comments from the experts

sWAns63
11th September 2009, 11:28 PM
I'll be at the game, he plays my team Subiaco in the prelim final tommorrow and I hope he has a shocker !
If Natanuis in their team as well, we'll have our hands full.
Maybe the really wet conditions might help us.
We are going for 4 premierships in a row

satchmopugdog
12th September 2009, 09:45 AM
I'll be at the game, he plays my team Subiaco in the prelim final tommorrow and I hope he has a shocker !
If Natanuis in their team as well, we'll have our hands full.
Maybe the really wet conditions might help us.
We are going for 4 premierships in a row

You can be our RWO recruiting spy.

DST
12th September 2009, 02:00 PM
Not sure why we spend so much money on recruiting?

We just need to watch a couple of minutes of highlights from youtube to make a decision on who to take.

You can't work out the following from a bloody video:

* Does he work hard when he doesn't have the ball?
* What is his attitude like?
* Will he fit in with our group or struggle to move interstate?
* Does he have any natural improvement left?

Nice to see what they look like on video but it has no bearing on where they might be placed in terms of the draft.

DST

PerthSwannie
12th September 2009, 08:50 PM
On sports radio this morning in Perth, Jakovich & langdon were saying that the Weagles are keen to recruit some more indigenous players and they singled out Jetta in particular. They were pretty sure "if he was available at their first pick they would grab him, unless some other team grabbed him first" Langdon said.......

Having said that I think if he doesn`t get his dream of playing for the Wiggles he may become a bit of a liability......:confused:

DeadlyAkkuret
12th September 2009, 10:00 PM
Didn't know him really, but lived next door to him and his family is @@@@ing shocking!

sWAns63
12th September 2009, 11:07 PM
On sports radio this morning in Perth, Jakovich & langdon were saying that the Weagles are keen to recruit some more indigenous players and they singled out Jetta in particular. They were pretty sure "if he was available at their first pick they would grab him, unless some other team grabbed him first" Langdon said.......

Having said that I think if he doesn`t get his dream of playing for the Wiggles he may become a bit of a liability......:confused:
If players like Lucas, Rohan, Scully to mention a few are gone we might be forced to take him.
We beat Swan Districts by the way and set up a GF next week against South Freo,
Go Subi

eggbeater
13th September 2009, 12:50 AM
Didn't know him really, but lived next door to him and his family is @@@@ing shocking!

??

DeadlyAkkuret
13th September 2009, 08:12 AM
Yes?

satchmopugdog
13th September 2009, 09:04 AM

At least he's not Dutch...talk to me about neighbours

T-bag
13th September 2009, 03:29 PM
If players like Lucas, Rohan, Scully to mention a few are gone we might be forced to take him.
We beat Swan Districts by the way and set up a GF next week against South Freo,
Go Subi

Go doggies!

Hartijon
8th October 2009, 07:39 AM
Its looking good! With a host of young talls now,Mumford.Seaby,Pyke,Oreal,White and the possiblity of hard nut inside players like Kennedy and maybe even Ball the recruiters have done a great job!!! Jetta,s pace and x factor ability fits perfectly into this line up replacing the great Mick's legendary abilities in this area.Would he last till pick 14? I doubt it! Better use 6 to get him and 14 to get Butcher a future KPP

Jeffers1984
8th October 2009, 08:38 AM
If Butcher slides past 6, i can't see him getting through Port or Melbourne's picks.

Jeffers1984
26th November 2009, 09:03 PM

You must be doing cartwheels atm!

573v30
26th November 2009, 11:22 PM
Nice bump right there. :D

Robbo
26th November 2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWVKxTFPJk&feature=player_embedded

0:38 to 0:47. Enjoy it everyone....HE IS OURS!!!

BTW the bloke chasing him is Dennis-Lane. Gives you an idea of his pace aswell.

AnnieH
27th November 2009, 12:34 AM
15 out of 16 clubs wanted him ... he wanted to go to the crims.

Sucked in crims!

(Did I hear right in that vid ... he was mentored by Peter Matera? If so, not too shabby.)

TheHood
27th November 2009, 05:57 AM
Wow, its exciting to be onboarding a kid with that kind of natural talent.

I am a hug fan of the Davey boys and have been envious of supporters of those clubs who definitely get their share of weekly thrills from those boys.

I hope Lewis is as enthusastic on the chase and tackle ala the Daveys and Mcleod...that means I think he's capable of senior footy this year.

Auntie.Gerald
27th November 2009, 07:12 AM
play Jetta deep and wide and watch him link all the way down that sideline coming from almost HB flank at the small ovals..........LRT, to Bolton, hand passes off to Shaw, Shaw bursts thru two players in hot pursuit before chipping thru to LEWIS JETTA who is flying down the boundary line at the SCG........Jetta sends in a beautiful kick onto a leading Jesse White !!!......White 45m out and straight in front.......stayed tuned Wallsy!!

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh........months away !! :(

giant
27th November 2009, 09:09 AM
Claremont?

:)

Red
27th November 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty happy with this pick-up. He looks like a great player and very nice kid with it. I just hope we haven't recruited a Des Headland.

Still, we've got plenty of players that have played on through extreme homesickness. As well as Goodes and Mick, he could always speak to Tige about that.

And we'll have to find a job for his brother too, methinks.

Hartijon
28th November 2009, 06:18 AM
How amazing that someone can start a thread weeks ago asking the swans to draft one player whose rating was not clearly defined at that point in time.Then come draft time we get that player with our second pick. Amazing!
Those believers in this kid seemed to have nailed what the Swans lack and that is match breaking players.This kid seems to be the x factor type that can win you a game thats up for grabs.

Auntie.Gerald
28th November 2009, 07:54 AM
was there anyone else you would have taken with for the no.14 spot given that DL and Sumner are fairly similar to Jetta ie fast, light, athletic and can kick??

For me I would have gone very close to Luke Tapscott or Koby Stevens.....but Rohan looks like he could play wing or HF so we have options

2009 AFL draft picks round-by-round | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-picks-round-by-round/story-fn4hg9de-1225804305210)

15. Christian Howard (Western Bulldogs)
16. Jasper McMillan-Pittard (Port Adelaide)
17. Daniel Menzel (Geelong)

18. Luke Tapscott (Melbourne)
North Adelaide
Midfielder, 18, 180cm, 86kg
Powerfully-built midfielder/forward has been compared to Lion Daniel Rich and is widely acknowledged as the best kick in the draft, capable of thumping the ball more than 60m.

19. Ben Griffiths (Richmond)
20. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
21. Ryan Bastinac (North Melbourne)
22. Gerrick Weedon (West Coast)

23. Koby Stevens (West Coast)
Gippsland Power
Midfielder, 18, 187cm, 83kg
Tough and ferocious inside midfielder, who was the equal-leading tackler in this year's under-18s (averaging six a match) and averaged 26 disposals with Gippsland.

24. Jake Carlisle (Essendon)
25. Aaron Black (North Melbourne)

Primmy
28th November 2009, 12:17 PM
Just watched the Jetta highlights reel. Sigh. We have a right footed kicker, who can find space, and is not hurried. he will be a great compliment to the team.

The reel is somewhat speeded up, so wouldn't take too much notice of it as a dead set exact representation; BUT, the man can find space and time. He was playing on those who are not as good. the AFL will be a mighty difference. BUT, saying that poise seems to be his middle name. So although I doubt we would see him this year (playing Eggs in his first year was a very rare situation) I am looking forward to the future.

And after watching that highlights reel, Jet it is as far as I am concerned. No point in going any further. Just Jet.

Jewels
28th November 2009, 02:04 PM
And after watching that highlights reel, Jet it is as far as I am concerned. No point in going any further. Just Jet.

No, it's Jetstar for me ;)

liz
28th November 2009, 02:30 PM
(playing Eggs in his first year was a very rare situation)

There is lingering perception that this is the case, but it isn't really borne out. Veszpremi, Moore, Phillips and Bird, as well as Hannebery, were all 18yos who played some senior footy in their first Swans season in recent years.

I know Roos will state (and has already done so) that he doesn't expect new 18yo recruits to play in their first year but he has also shown he will give them a game or two if they warrant it. I can certainly see our two older recruits playing a decent amount of senior footy next year (despite Jetta's build). Wouldn't be too surprised to see Sumner get games too as his endurance seems like it is already quite reasonable. And even Rohan might snare a couple late in the season if he works hard enough.

g60
28th November 2009, 04:19 PM
DL will clearly play senior games this yr, why else would they recruit a mature aged player. swans need pace across hf as well as a proven goal kicker from a senior level comp, he has both.

Jetta i think will also play seniors this yr. he is also slightly older and has played enough senior wa footy to indicate he will handle the transition. We badly need pace and players with the ability to find space, he has both.

hopefully they both apply themselves and should get rewarded with senior game time.

Rohan is an untaped resource, you really don't know what he will turn into. once again his pace, marking ability, and hunger across the forward line is something we really need. i hope he really shines during pre-season training as i cannot wait to see what he is capable of. hopefully we will see him play a few senior games next yr. he is definately capable of inspiring his team mates through his hunger for the footy.

Reid could be anything and hopefully will develope into a much needed chb or fb. let him loose in the ressies on their best forwards. would be great to see him as the swans version of brian lake in a couple of yrs. don't think he will play seniors this yr though.

Sumner is an interesting one, may not be the fastest mid in the world, but very impressed with his kicking ability and overall workrate. reads the play well and appears to have good leadership qualities, just like his crows double Andrew M. should get a late senior game if we lose a couple of mids through injury during the yr.

thus jetta and DL will definitely play this yr, rohan probably (and hopefully). not so sure about the other two for 2010. Hopefully all play well and put loads of pressure on the other players to force their way into the team.
:) :) :) :)

Bloody Hell
28th November 2009, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know why he's been drafted only at 20?

Tuhob
28th November 2009, 05:09 PM
Roos is hopeful Jetta, Sydney's second selection and No. 14 overall, can play AFL next year.

Taken from this article:

Gap for recruits massive (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gap-for-recruits-massive-20091127-jwzn.html)

So Rohan unlikely to play next year (not surprising) but hopefully Jetta will.

giant
29th November 2009, 02:06 PM
Came to me who this bloke reminded me of - he's a mirror image Phil Krakoeur! Just as Phil used to hold the ball like a right hander and kick left, Jetta does the opposite. Both have got that deceptive loping style that looks "slow" but is anything but and both have an unusual kicking style that is highly effective.

One of the great joys of my sporting life to be able to watch the Krakoeur boys at close range during their Claremont years - let's cross our fingers that we've got a clone here.

Primmy
29th November 2009, 02:13 PM

Hell, I think that he hadn't nominated before this year. If I remember the press right, he didn't consider himself an option until he saw how well his cousin did in the AFL, and then gave himself a go. Fairly sure I read that right.

Aaron
29th November 2009, 02:46 PM

Jetta story was reported in the following story in Real Footy by Emma Quayle in September. Basically he did not think thay he could. A lot if insight into Jetta's thoughts.

Overlooked Jetta cousin now racing up the draft rankings - RFNews (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/overlooked-jetta-brother-racing-up-draft-rankings/2009/09/29/1253989912728.html)

Jeffers1984
29th November 2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videotab/sydney-swans/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB
Nice interview with Jetta at draft camp.

How convincing was he when he said he's not fussed about moving away from home?

Jeffers1984
30th November 2009, 01:05 PM
First Jetta article. Good to see he's at Lakeside oval and straight into it.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/87682/default.aspx

He says his parents will move to Sydney.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/87680/default.aspx

DeadlyAkkuret
30th November 2009, 02:22 PM
?We were hearing that West Coast was going to take [Lewis] at seven and we were resigned to tossing both boys up at six.

I would have been pretty disappointed had we taken Jetta with pick 6:o

First thing you want to do when you get to Sydney? I want to get in and see the Club and then I want Goodesy to show me around Sydney.

Having Goodes around will be very good for Jetta.

dimelb
30th November 2009, 03:05 PM
I would have been pretty disappointed had we taken Jetta with pick 6 :o
So would I, but it's interesting to see that the club rated him and Rohan so closely together.

Having Goodes around will be very good for Jetta.
It sure will; it's something special when your idol says he will look after you like a brother. Lewis will certainly benefit and so will the club.

AnnieH
30th November 2009, 03:30 PM
From the swans article ...

?With our slight frames, we?ve got to try and get away from them and try not to get killed. It?s great to kick goals against them.

?When Trent and I played against each other in the WAFL preliminary final, this big guy was chasing me and I just turned around and smiled at him as I ran away.?

I'm looking forward to him smiling a lot as he runs away!

His nickname is "Jets".

He's from Bunbury ... must be one of Deadly's friends.

Nickname: Jets

Favourite club growing up? West Coast Eagles but I love following all the Indigenous players

Favourite Swans player? Adam Goodes

Where do you live? Bunbury, it is where I have always lived

Have you been to Sydney before? No, when I arrived at the Club it was my first time.

What do your parents think of your move? They say they will move to Sydney too.

How many siblings do you have? I have four brothers and one sister, she is the youngest and I am the third eldest.

After school finished, what did you decide to do? I am doing an apprenticeship in grounds keeping.

Jeffers1984
30th November 2009, 03:33 PM
Looks like Goodes spoilt the surprise for Jetta RE: Pick 14

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goodes-spoils-jettas-draft-day-20091130-k0iw.html

Jeffers1984
30th November 2009, 04:30 PM
The Jet.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/11/30/1225805/422560-lewis-jetta.jpg

Hartijon
30th November 2009, 04:57 PM
"It helps out a lot to have Goodesy being here," said Jetta.
"He is a mentor and he is a role model to all Aboriginal kids."

A lot of us on here thought this would be the case. We were right.

DeadlyAkkuret
30th November 2009, 06:02 PM
He's from Bunbury ... must be one of Deadly's friends.

Lol, no, but he seems like a decent guy. I used to live next door to him, his family didn't make the best neighbours (Think I mentioned that in this thread already) but I don't know him personally.

30th November 2009, 07:39 PM
Reading all this stuff makes me think that regardless of what he has shown in the WAFL (and that is bloody exciting) that he has enormous upside once he gets into full time training and fully focuses on football.

Adam Goodes will be fantastic for him in settling in and getting that focus.

Let's not forget that he was under serious consideration for us at pick 6 so from a recruiting point of view it was as if we had picks 6 & 7.

He might be one of the biggest steals in a long time.

liz
1st December 2009, 12:01 AM
I admit I had serious doubts about Jetta as a potential Sydney recruit - not due to ability but because the go-home factor seemed to be particularly high (based on a mid-season interview where he indicated a desire to stay in the west).

But he is certainly making all the right noises thus far about where his football heart now lies.

Sydney's new Jet lands with a hint of 'Magic' | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydneys-new-jet-lands-with-a-hint-of-magic/story-e6frf9jf-1225805524133)

DeadlyAkkuret
1st December 2009, 12:21 AM
Great article, it's becoming really easy to like this Lewis fella.

Auntie.Gerald
1st December 2009, 08:18 AM
just get him on the field and as he saids - "turn it on"

Swannette
1st December 2009, 12:58 PM
Forgive this seemingly dumb question, and I guess I kind of know the answer, but as to why Jetta was still available at 14, I am not at all sure. If it is simply that those with picks 7 through 13 had different priorities/needs and therefore opted to take other players with their picks, then isn't that a bit short sighted if in fact Jetta is a 'better' player than those that were taken with 7 to 13??? Is it that simple? Or is there something else here.

andyn
1st December 2009, 01:21 PM
I love how he openly states that he's a better player than Neville. Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence so long as the guys around him keep his chin up through the tougher times. Can't wait to see the pics of him with Goodesy later today!

Jetta prepares to meet Swans role model (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/jetta-prepares-to-meet-swans-role-model-20091130-k11i.html)

liz
1st December 2009, 01:25 PM
Forgive this seemingly dumb question, and I guess I kind of know the answer, but as to why Jetta was still available at 14, I am not at all sure. If it is simply that those with picks 7 through 13 had different priorities/needs and therefore opted to take other players with their picks, then isn't that a bit short sighted if in fact Jetta is a 'better' player than those that were taken with 7 to 13??? Is it that simple? Or is there something else here.

Why did Franklin get drafted at 5? Selwood and Rich at 7?

No-one has a clue who the best players are going to be over their careers. But clubs are making their own (wildly different) assessments of perceptions of current ability, upside, risk factors (eg "go-home", physical durability, personality) and also considering how any given player will fit into their existing squad.

Primmy
1st December 2009, 01:35 PM
Why did Franklin get drafted at 5? Selwood and Rich at 7?

No-one has a clue who the best players are going to be over their careers. But clubs are making their own (wildly different) assessments of perceptions of current ability, upside, risk factors (eg "go-home", physical durability, personality) and also considering how any given player will fit into their existing squad.

We have a duel Brownlow medalist who got drafted down the list, and Micky who needs no other explanation. We have a Bolton (Craig) we wouldn't part with who couldn't get a gig at Brisbane. We have a Ted Bear who you cannot top for courage who couldn't get a gig at Essendon! The recently departed highly thought of Jolls couldn't get games at Melbourne for heavens sake!

You really don't know what is going to happen. Just because all our draft picks seem at PRESENT to be first rate, it doesn't make it a definite guarantee that we are going to knock the socks off the other teams in competition. It took Macca a few years to get to a stage where I didn't want to strangle him. Crouchy had to wait and wait for a game, and refused to be beaten into submission after that.

We don't know for sure what is going to happen. The foundations have been laid, that's all. The build is yet to happen.

AnnieH
1st December 2009, 02:08 PM

We were going to get him anyway ... didn't matter where he fell. The footy gods wanted us to have him.

Call it footy fate smiling on us for once.

1st December 2009, 03:50 PM

Yes, unless the player is an absolute no brainer, clubs will tend to look at their needs two plus years down the track when drafting. Jetta is an outside mid/fwd so appeals most to clubs needing that type of players, like us and he may not be as appealing to clubs already with plenty of youngish outside mids. Non WA clubs must also factor in the homesickness potential so that may count against where a players real ability places him in the draft, particularly at the pointy end.

He may prove me wrong but last year Natanui was a no brainer in my opinion for pick one but Tankers took Watts instead. Could only have been the homesickness factor because Natanui has already shown he could be the best player in the comp within a few years, almost impossible to counter. Watts will need to be bloody good to justify the non selction of Natanui.

Now Jetta by all reports was until late in the piece almost a Weagle at pick 7 but they opted for another WA product.

Poor Power pick 8 & 9 had desperate need for a tall forward and surprised wih Moore at 9. Essendon needed an inside mid, took Melksham wth 10, Tankers surprised with Gysberts at 11, they've got outside mids, Carton took our boy Lucas at 12, they've got outside mids, Adel Cows took my other choice in Talia at 13, presto we have Jetta at 14. If we'd had pick 7 we would have taken him there apparently so we're winners - potentially :)

pig@fullforward
1st December 2009, 05:59 PM
Fantastic News, Started this thread after watching all his youtube video's and reading all the articles, would have been super excited if we had drafted him at 6 however to get both him & rohan is even more exciting!!
Come ON 2010!!!

Hartijon
1st December 2009, 06:39 PM
Fantastic News, Started this thread after watching all his youtube video's and reading all the articles, would have been super excited if we had drafted him at 6 however to get both him & rohan is even more exciting!!
Come ON 2010!!!

You must be totally rapt! Maybe someone read this thread? This kind of coincidence rarely happens but you picked the one they obviously picked too.
With Magic gone the Swans need that dose of magic and both number 6 and 14 can give us this. I think the Swans supporters have had a golden run off season and can look forward with confidence to the future.

Tuhob
1st December 2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J68niBjMbVQ

Interesting video (don't think it's been posted before) that offers a bit more insight into Lewis and his brother Graham

Auntie.Gerald
1st December 2009, 10:08 PM
can it get any better ??

wouldnt it be nice if potential moulds into an exciting team to watch in 2010 !!!
:eek:

DeadlyAkkuret
1st December 2009, 11:17 PM
Another great video, best wingman in WA? Obviously a great pick-up then!

*ahem*

AnnieH
2nd December 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks Wait Awhile.

liz
15th December 2009, 01:28 AM
And here we have Roos interviewing Jetta. Nothing startlingly new but good to hear he is feeling settled in Sydney already.

Swans' Jetta-propelled star | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-jetta-propelled-star/story-e6frexx0-1225810365959)

DeadlyAkkuret
15th December 2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks Liz, it seems he's becoming very comfortable with his surroundings which can only be a good thing for his development.

AnnieH
15th December 2009, 09:31 AM
PR: How are you finding Sydney?

LJ: I am living with Byron [Sumner], Campbell [Heath] and big Shane Mumford. It is fun living with those guys, big Mumford is a funny guy. I thought I would be more homesick than I am.

The first couple of nights were hard but I am really enjoying myself. I still ring home each day to let them know how it is going but I feel comfortable living in Sydney

Oh bless.

dimelb
15th December 2009, 09:38 AM
It's a nice piece, and there seems to be some substance behind the pleasing appearance - managing the homesickness (a serious issue for many), the healthy mixture of respect and ambition, the drive to work hard and achieve now that he's seen what it takes. The future looks better the closer we get.

Triple B
15th December 2009, 12:38 PM
If you'd just arrived back in Sydney and had heard no AFL news and saw that photo, you'd think we had somehow got Daniel Wells onto the list...

goswannie14
15th December 2009, 12:55 PM
Come ON 2010!!!Thank goodness you came back, can we recall the search party now?;)

Jeffers1984
19th February 2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like he will wear Green (Lime) boots this year.

Will definitely stand out with his speed humming across the park.

CJK
19th February 2010, 11:18 AM
Better perform then.

Flashy boots means you have to play well otherwise the knives will be out

/sharpens knife

pig@fullforward
21st February 2010, 12:39 PM
THANK YOU!!! Case & Point!

Jeffers1984
21st February 2010, 12:43 PM
Breath of fresh air.

Primmy
21st February 2010, 02:40 PM
As they said, if you perform like that you can wear anything on your feet. I thought the flashy greens were great! He is a skinny little mite, but as Roosy said when you are that small you had better be fast! Onya kiddo.

ScottH
21st February 2010, 03:06 PM
Micky who??

Primmy
21st February 2010, 03:57 PM
Micky who??

OOOhhhhh Scott!!! Shame shame shame, and slap your wrist!!! :p

Go one, dare you to remove your own reply from this Thread.

Signed,
Aunty Primmy

ScottH
21st February 2010, 04:20 PM
OOOhhhhh Scott!!! Shame shame shame, and slap your wrist!!! :p

Go one, dare you to remove your own reply from this Thread.

Signed,
Aunty Primmy

No way. He was excellent last night.
If anyone was wondering where we were going to get that spark of unpredictability from in our forward line once MOL retired, they got their answer last night.

pig@fullforward
21st February 2010, 06:18 PM
Look forward to him & Trent-Lane in the forward line think they both add something!

dimelb
21st February 2010, 06:21 PM
Look forward to him & Trent-Lane in the forward line think they both add something!
Understatement of the season so far!

BeeEmmAre
21st February 2010, 06:56 PM
Micky who??

Yellow card.

AnnieH
22nd February 2010, 12:28 AM
Micky who??

I'm just going to stand back and watch little Miss Primmy take pieces out of you.

I'm so happy we've got Jets.

goswannie14
22nd February 2010, 07:53 AM
Jetta is my new favourite Swan. Gotta get me a number 32 for the jumper.

ScottH
22nd February 2010, 07:55 AM
I obviously used the right bait!!

swantastic
22nd February 2010, 08:03 AM
Jetta was very very good

swantastic
22nd February 2010, 08:05 AM
Jetta is my new favourite Swan. Gotta get ma a number 32 for the jumper.lol...Ive got the Sydney Swans number plates with 32 on them...noice

andyn
22nd February 2010, 08:37 AM
The Herald Sun article online have used a file pick of 'Lewis Jetta.' Isn't this Byron Sumner? (if it is Lewis when you click on the link, then they've already fixed it up)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jetstar-arrives-in-style/story-e6frf9jf-1225832792630

magic.merkin
22nd February 2010, 08:58 AM
yeah that's Byron.

ernie koala
22nd February 2010, 10:51 AM
The SMH this morning, talked of a section in the croud chanting the name of a crappy cut price airline owned by Quaintarse.:eek: .....
He said it pumped him up ...but please not Jetstar... Mr Jetta deserves better.

goswannie14
22nd February 2010, 11:23 AM
The SMH this morning, talked of a section in the croud chanting the name of a crappy cut price airline owned by Quaintarse.:eek: .....
What else are they going to call him, "Virgin" or "Tiger"????:rolleyes:

andyn
22nd February 2010, 11:26 AM
yeah that's Byron.
someone at Getty images has obviously screwed up, but would be nice if the herald Sun fixed it up given that I notified them about it at 7am this morning.

AnnieH
22nd February 2010, 12:12 PM

His nickname is JETS.

Primmy
22nd February 2010, 01:21 PM
His nickname is JETS.

Maybe he will be our very first Bomber? Most other teams have had one in the past.:p

jono2707
22nd February 2010, 01:53 PM
And can we call Rohan "Fanta Pants"? Please??

goswannie14
22nd February 2010, 01:57 PM
And can we call Rohan "Fanta Pants"? Please??
But all the Swans wear Fanta Pants.

Probably better to call him by whatever his nickname actually is.

Bas
22nd February 2010, 02:12 PM

Sounds like journalistic crap to me. The crowd hardly made any noise on Saturday night. A Collingwood bloke full of the lunatic soup tried several times to start a Swannies chant but that never eventuated. Neither did the mexican wave.

Jeffers1984
22nd February 2010, 02:18 PM
Sounds like journalistic crap to me. The crowd hardly made any noise on Saturday night. A Collingwood bloke full of the lunatic soup tried several times to start a Swannies chant but that never eventuated. Neither did the mexican wave.
I think that was Pekay's brother. I was in the same spot.

Jeffers1984
23rd February 2010, 01:15 PM
Nice Interview with Lewis thanks to Fox Sports

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/video/0,,AFL%20News_26743,00.html

Let's hope he can keep his word when he says he'd like to play out his career at the Swans!

BSA5
23rd February 2010, 01:51 PM
What else are they going to call him, "Virgin" or "Tiger"????:rolleyes:

We've already got a Tiger. Find a player to call "Virgin" and we'll have the budget airlines down! How about Barlow? He doesn't seem like he'd get much... Or Rohan? Virgin Blue? Blue? Cos he's a red head?

Triple B
23rd February 2010, 09:15 PM
Rohan? Virgin Blue? Blue? Cos he's a red head?

I like that. Jetstar and Virgin.

I'll still probably just stick to Ranga like I called him all night Saturday....in between drooling.