PDA

View Full Version : Draft talk for 2009

Pages : [1] 2

Robbo
29th August 2009, 11:35 PM
Well the silly season begins now and I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how we should approach this upcoming draft. We get pick 6 I think which is the highest we've had for a long time.

We have a pretty good midfield group already to take us into the future, do we need a couple more young mids to complete the puzzle or not?

White and Johnstone look like being the two we will proceed with in terms of tall forwards, so I don't think we need anymore of those. Maybe we could pick on up in the rookie draft as cover though.

Should be fine for rucks you would think.

Bit light on for young key defensive talent so perhaps this is a box we need to tick in the draft, although personally I think we should trade for rather than draft.

The main need is a small crumbing forward IMO. There's a boy from SA by the name of Tapscott who goes alright and is predicted to go in the top 20.

So for me, this is how I think we should approach this draft.

First pick: Small forward
Second: Outside mid
Third: Medium/tall defender

Any additional picks I'm not too bothered with, but I think this is how we should use the first 3.

What do you want to happen?

Nico
29th August 2009, 11:38 PM
Find a decent quick midfielder. Then again we have one in our midst and judging by his courageous back into a pack tonight he has the hardness too. His name is MOD.

mcs
29th August 2009, 11:53 PM
Find a decent quick midfielder. Then again we have one in our midst and judging by his courageous back into a pack tonight he has the hardness too. His name is MOD.

We desperately need some more pace in the midfield. I'd be after a quick skillful midfielder first up, but a smaller crumbing forward is also an important area to look at. At least Grundy and White are beginning to show that their long term promise may turn into 2 quality afl footballers.

DST
30th August 2009, 12:09 AM
Midfield pace all the way.

DST
:D

hammo
30th August 2009, 12:12 AM
Using our first pick for a small forward would be one of the worst decisions we could make. There's no shortage out there so why waste the best pick we've had since 2002?

The priority is the midfield - speed and skill. Pick 6 will guarantee this if we play it right.

We do need a tall defender or two and if our drafting history is anything to go by we'll use a late pick or use the rookie draft.

sharp9
30th August 2009, 12:13 AM
Sorry to be hard nosed but I think we must pick ANY player who is DEFINITELY going to be at least very good....ie no lightly framed players who "might" be brilliant....like Ray and McMahon and Fiora etc. With that pick we must be certain he will have the body, not hopeful....you can use a lower pick on a whippet.

thesting
30th August 2009, 12:27 AM
Forward wise, White's progress this year has been fantastic, Goodes moving to CHF has brought great results and from what I hear (never seen him), Johnstone will be a player.

Defensively, Grundy has found a home, Bolton is still going strong, and my heart is in my moth less and less now when LRT gets the ball.

Quick, skillful mids should be top of our shopping list this year.

Ludwig
30th August 2009, 12:43 AM
There will be a good number of tallish, quick and skilful midfielders at pick six this year, like Lucas, Dustin Martin and Rohan, and we are likely to be pretty happy with whichever one is taken. There are usually very good picks available at pick 22 as well. So I feel confident that we will add a few more quality young players to the list that already contains. Vez, Merredith, Johnston, Hanners. The key for us to to get these young guys fit and playing.

The biggest disappointment about 2009 was having so many injured youngsters. I do hope that Laidlaw and Schmidt are retained and get a chance to show what they can do (We already know that Schmidt is a good prospect).

I'm not too worried about the KPPs in both the forward line and defence, especially now that Grundy has settled in and White looks like he will be a very good Forward. I wouldn't be looking for a KPP until at least round 3. The main thing is skill and speed through the midfield. You can't get enough of that in the modern game.

alison.z
30th August 2009, 12:43 AM
We've got pick 5 now at the moment ...

ugg
30th August 2009, 12:48 AM
We've got pick 5 now at the moment ...
Pick 6, because Melbourne will have a priority pick.

alison.z
30th August 2009, 12:52 AM
Ah i was wondering about that ... thanks for clearing it up!!

Young Blood
30th August 2009, 01:08 AM
First pick - just take the best player.

Our immediate need is quick, skilful midfielders who can win their own ball. Hopefully we have a couple coming through in Hannebery & Meredith.

But if we draft a KP player now, they might be ready to take over from Bolton/ Goodes when they retire.

UglyDuckling
30th August 2009, 02:43 AM
This is how i see it
1st round- Best available atm looking to be a quality mid or the slight possibility that butcher could slide a la Rich last year

2nd - Best available Neville Jetta if we're lucky probably be a mid hopefully a pacey one

3rd - Start drafting for position which means height and forward pocket speed/ x factor.

4th - Same as 3rd

And so on and so forth down through to the rookie list

IMO we have plenty of mids on our list but it seems best available in this draft will be mids, so thats where we go. We all know that guns midfields win flags just look at the cats.

The deficiencies on our list are KPP not that the ones we have coming through dont look like they could be very good but the depth. If J white or botls got injured atm we have no replacements so picking some up to cover injuries down the draft would be a good idea as now Murphy is gone we have no height.

The other problem is a genuine forward pocket. Though Vezzy should do this well next year he should have an eye to the midfield we need a couple of lighting quick forward pocket players to kick crazy goals and chase down running half backs

Rucks look ok wth currie Pyke and Orreal playing second fiddle to Angeina Jolly

We have a plethora of running half backs

Another gun defensive back pocket would be good too, someone who could play on a cyril rioli. We have nick smith but beavan is average we need another one.

Jeffers1984
30th August 2009, 08:21 AM
Pick 6 - Best available. Lucas, Tapscott, Rohan all around this area. Ones who could slide are Butcher (very unlikely), Trengove.

Round 2 - Best Available (If Talia is available we'd have to pounce)

Round 3 - KPP (although the depth is aparently poor)

Round 4 - Small Forward (x-factor, quick rah rah rah)

Reggi
30th August 2009, 10:28 AM
In general considering the picks we've had our drafting has been fair.

We need midfielders and lot's of them. My suspicion is we will get draft two very young players, and to fill the gap next year pick up some younger established midfielders from either the SANFL, VFL or WAFL.

We need a fit list next year as we will play more guys which I would think will spell the end for Laidlaw, Schmidt & Playfair

Given our salary cap, we may end up with an overpaid player from another club, just like we picked up Daffy with Hall

I don't know why people will keep emphasising talls with Richards, LRT, Grundy & Bolton. We are getting murdered by run, not in the air.

Bas
30th August 2009, 11:02 AM
Pick 5 because the priority picks come after Round 1 now. That was the case last year.

Melbourne get pick 1 and then pick 17 (priority) and pick 18. Our next pick is 22, then 38 then 54.

However this is likely to change during trade period.

So we have picks 5, 22, 38, 54, 70.

Might get another 2nd round for Hall or trade for Lake.

Will O''Keefe go? Can't see how things have changed from last year now that we are officially rebuilding.

liz
30th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Pick 5 because the priority picks come after Round 1 now. That was the case last year.

Melbourne get pick 1 and then pick 17 (priority) and pick 18. Our next pick is 22, then 38 then 54.

However this is likely to change during trade period.

So we have picks 5, 22, 38, 54, 70.

Might get another 2nd round for Hall or trade for Lake.

Will O''Keefe go? Can't see how things have changed from last year now that we are officially rebuilding.

First year a club qualifies for a priority pick it is after round 1. But if they qualify a second consecutive season - as Melbourne will, unless they beat the Saints today - it is at the start of the draft. So as things stand, we start with pick 6.

I will be flabbergasted if we get a round 2 pick for Hall. I wouldn't be surprised if no club eventually wants him. (I really don't understand why the Dogs would, given the way they play footy.)

Why would O'Keefe go? He is contracted, and despite the innuendo early in the season, nothing about the way he has gone about his footy this year suggests he isn't happy where he is.

ugg
30th August 2009, 11:15 AM

That is the case if a team finishes with less than 16.5 points in a year. Do it in consecutive seasons and the pick will be shifted to before the first round.

Reggi
30th August 2009, 11:22 AM
I will be flabbergasted if we get a round 2 pick for Hall. I wouldn't be surprised if no club eventually wants him. (I really don't understand why the Dogs would, given the way they play footy.)

You never win a Premiership without an intimidator

They don't have one.

Bas
30th August 2009, 11:33 AM
You never win a Premiership without an intimidator

They don't have one.

He'll do that job very well if he isn't suspended.

Bas
30th August 2009, 11:37 AM
Why would O'Keefe go? He is contracted, and despite the innuendo early in the season, nothing about the way he has gone about his footy this year suggests he isn't happy where he is.

Well he did want to go back to Melbourne at the end of lasy year and if he also wants to be in and possibly win another GF, it is unlikely to happen if he stays with the Swans. No one ever said he was unhappy with the Swans.

He has played very well for most of the year and would be a valuable asset to a team vying for a premiership.

UglyDuckling
30th August 2009, 12:06 PM
I don't know why people will keep emphasising talls with Richards, LRT, Grundy & Bolton. We are getting murdered by run, not in the air.

Have a look at the list, yes our current talls on the field are doing well but we virtually have no depth. The only tall players on the list not playing last night were the three ruckman Richards Johnston Playfair and Barlow. One would expect next year Johnston to take Micky O's place, playfair to be injured or delisted and barlow can hardly play KPP that means we have no one to cover for injuries, no pressure on spots and no one developing to take over from Bolts in a couple of years. When you consider KPP take a few years to be ready for senior footy we need to draft some now. It isnt our first priority but its probably our second after speedy forward pocket midfield types.

Also consider the outs this year Hall O'Loughlin Barry and Murphy to keep list balance we will need to draft at least 4 talls

Reggi
30th August 2009, 12:08 PM
Also consider the outs this year Hall O'Loughlin Barry and Murphy to keep list balance we will need to draft at least 4 talls

Rubbish - we have seven

UglyDuckling
30th August 2009, 12:11 PM
Rubbish - we have seven

Have a look through the list we have no KPP depth im not saying we need to use our first picks for KPP but somewhere through the draft or rookie draft we need to pick up some talls.

We have 7 what, dwarfs???

shaun..
30th August 2009, 02:56 PM
Well the silly season begins now and I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how we should approach this upcoming draft. We get pick 6 I think which is the highest we've had for a long time.

We have a pretty good midfield group already to take us into the future, do we need a couple more young mids to complete the puzzle or not?

White and Johnstone look like being the two we will proceed with in terms of tall forwards, so I don't think we need anymore of those. Maybe we could pick on up in the rookie draft as cover though.

Should be fine for rucks you would think.

Bit light on for young key defensive talent so perhaps this is a box we need to tick in the draft, although personally I think we should trade for rather than draft.

The main need is a small crumbing forward IMO. There's a boy from SA by the name of Tapscott who goes alright and is predicted to go in the top 20.

So for me, this is how I think we should approach this draft.

First pick: Small forward
Second: Outside mid
Third: Medium/tall defender

Any additional picks I'm not too bothered with, but I think this is how we should use the first 3.

What do you want to happen?

Apparently Tapscott is the best kick in the draft and can play mid too.. i'm sold :D

Legs Akimbo
30th August 2009, 03:20 PM
Apparently Tapscott is the best kick in the draft and can play mid too.. i'm sold :D

I was bored this morning and watched video from the TAC cup of some of the top-10 likelies.

Tapscott looked the most obvious pick of the lot. Good size, not overly pacy and seems to read the play well, stands up well in tackles.

And his kicking is really magnificent. Just amazing.

Not sold on Butcher or Sculley. Rohan looked like a great runner but disposal looked pretty dodgy (5 minutes of video, so wouldn't know really). Trengrove looks good and Morabito looks raw but obviously has a lot potential. Jetta looks skilled and fast but he' a bit older too.

Tepscott for mine. Then would be focusing on faster midfield players and a couple of KPP defensive types.

GongSwan
30th August 2009, 04:58 PM
We desperately need some more pace in the midfield. I'd be after a quick skillful midfielder first up, but a smaller crumbing forward is also an important area to look at. At least Grundy and White are beginning to show that their long term promise may turn into 2 quality afl footballers.

Completely agree, find the quickest bloke we can and make him a midfielder. We need more speed, with Goodes and White forward, we can play Vez as a crumbing forward, or Jack. Defensively, we still have B2 LRT and Grundy finding his feet down there. With marty and Shaw running the ball, that's pretty complete. Midfielders are what we need, fast ones. One of the young ruckmen we have shld be promoted next year, or we stick with Pyke and try to turn him into a footy player, worked with LRT

Robbo
30th August 2009, 05:08 PM
I doubt we are planning to make Vez a small forward.

satchmopugdog
30th August 2009, 08:33 PM
We have 7 what, dwarfs???[/QUOTE]

LOL:D

liz
30th August 2009, 09:28 PM
I was bored this morning and watched video from the TAC cup of some of the top-10 likelies.

Tapscott looked the most obvious pick of the lot. Good size, not overly pacy and seems to read the play well, stands up well in tackles.

And his kicking is really magnificent. Just amazing.

Not sold on Butcher or Sculley. Rohan looked like a great runner but disposal looked pretty dodgy (5 minutes of video, so wouldn't know really). Trengrove looks good and Morabito looks raw but obviously has a lot potential. Jetta looks skilled and fast but he' a bit older too.

Tepscott for mine. Then would be focusing on faster midfield players and a couple of KPP defensive types.

It's always dangerous to judge on just a few minutes - especially when they are meant to be the highlights - but I was a little underwhelmed by Tapscott's reel too. Sure, he can kick long but that seemed to be pretty much his only style - bang the ball long as often as possible. A team does need some good long kickers, but I think we've drafted for that specifically over the last couple of years, with the results being Vez, Meredith and Hannebury. And all these players have far more strings to their bows than just their long, accurate kicking.

If we're going to get another mid-paced midfielder with that first pick, I think someone who can consistently win the hard ball at stoppages would be a bigger priority. Much as some pace through the middle is an obvious need, it wasn't where we lost yesterday's game against Brisbane. We lost it because we couldn't get first hands on the ball often enough at stoppages.

Bleed Red Blood
31st August 2009, 02:43 AM
Go tall.

Look at Michael Hurley at the Dons'. He'll be a magnificent player, forward and back for the next fifteen years.

And we really need height - Craig Bolton will be 30 next year. Richards is not a full backs arse hole, and Grundy isn't made for the big Ko@@@@zke, Fevola, Jon Brown types in the way that Scarlett, Rutten, Presti and Glass are.

we have so many midfielder/flankers, sure, if the recruiters REALLY don't rate any KP players in the top 10, go small. But otherwise..we need to think long term.

Jeffers1984
1st September 2009, 10:15 AM
Roos has said in the telegraph that he will choose the best midfielder at pick 6. He said he will be focusing more on ball use/class rather than just speed.

UglyDuckling
1st September 2009, 03:37 PM
Roos has said in the telegraph that he will choose the best midfielder at pick 6. He said he will be focusing more on ball use/class rather than just speed.

sounds good to me the more classy players with good ball use we have the better a bit of pace would be handy too. That woulc mean we would be going for a Kane Lucas over a Gary Rohan. That would make the eagles fans so mad they have been wacking off over Lucas all year now we may steal him off them.

10Totti10
1st September 2009, 04:46 PM
Wont be Lucas. He is a western Australian boy and in a few years if he comes good he will want to move back. Gotta go for tapscott. They have compared his kicking ability to that of Rich which is something.

sWAns63
1st September 2009, 04:57 PM
Wont be Lucas. He is a western Australian boy and in a few years if he comes good he will want to move back. Gotta go for tapscott. They have compared his kicking ability to that of Rich which is something.
I'd definitely take Lucas given the chance hope he's still around when our 1st round pick comes along.........I still think Lewis Jetta as late 3rd or 4th round pick is a chance.
You take the best player available not try to benefit WCE or any other team by passing on him and leave ourselves with a dud.

UglyDuckling
1st September 2009, 05:22 PM

Dunno about that Sydney has to draft interstate player a lot and hope the player decides they like the city and the club and stays on. It cant really be a big consideration when drafting otherwise we couldn't draft enough players. Look at J White there was the perfect opportunity to him to go home on a fat wage and he didnt take it.
How many drafted players do we actually see go home? not that many.
Gotta take the best available players no matter were they're from.

Jeffers1984
1st September 2009, 05:36 PM
Lucas or Rohan for mine.

Guess it's a good thing we did get pick 6 as we get first shot at either. (depending on what North do with their pick.

sWAns63
1st September 2009, 06:44 PM
Lucas or Rohan for mine.

Guess it's a good thing we did get pick 6 as we get first shot at either. (depending on what North do with their pick.

Yeah Gary Rohan looks a great player as well.

Lucas, Rohan, Scully, Trengove, Butcher anyone of those would be good.

BSA5
1st September 2009, 07:37 PM
Don't think we should worry too much about players wanting to go home. We haven't had any want to go home just for the go-home factor recently. Jolly was thinking about it for a bit, but from memory it never really got past a bit of hesitation with the new contract before he signed. ROK wanted to find out what he was worth, might have got a rude shock, but it seems to me the "I wanna go to Melbourne" thing was more a fa?ade for image reasons (after all, he had just married a Sydney girl and bought a house here). Not that I resent him for it; though it was a touch disappointing, I stand by the number in my name! It's about the footy, and when he's on the field he gives his all.

Point of all that is that if Lucas, or by some miracle Morabito, are available at our pick, we should go for them.

wearebloods
1st September 2009, 10:22 PM
Don't think we should worry too much about players wanting to go home. We haven't had any want to go home just for the go-home factor recently.

Agree.

In hindsight, I'm sure even the most gung-ho Swannie fan can now understand why players in the era of Grant, Gaspar & mummys boy Rocca + beforehand, couldn't wait to get the hell out dodge.

Sydney in 2009 is a vastly different & better [but always room for improvement] beast from a players perspective :cool:

wedge.maverick
2nd September 2009, 10:31 PM
Just to tease you guys a bit more. Kane Lucas' father is John Lucas who played a few games with the Swans in the mid 80s (#28). Kane spent a lot of time growing up in the Riverina before the family moved to WA. There may not be as great a go home factor with him as everyone thinks.

DST
2nd September 2009, 11:09 PM
It has to be best available no matter where they are from.

The club has to back itself that it does things right off the field now and no one needs to go home. The last 10 years would indicate that we have solved that problem and really getting onto an AFL list now is so hard kids will go anywhere and generally stay as opposed to 10 to 12 years ago.

As per the Roos comments, it's going to be a midfielder at pick 6 and one that has classy disposal over pure speed.

From reports about the top 10 and who is likely to still be around at 6, Lucas looks very likely with our first pick.

Add him to McVeigh, Bird, Hannaberry, Jack, Vespa and probably Tom Mitchell the year after and we have the makings of a very talented group. Just need to get Schmidt, Merideth, DOK and Laidlaw over their injuries and playing some decent football.

Not overly quick but they can all use the football well and should adapt well to the Sydney game style of paticence and possesion which served us well in 05 and 06.

DST

RogueSwan
3rd September 2009, 11:11 AM
Completely agree, find the quickest bloke we can and make him a midfielder...
Just like the Spriggs experiment? :rolleyes:

bigswan
3rd September 2009, 11:32 AM
Whoever they draft, whether they be midfield or KPP must be athletic and must be able to kick. Our first pick is crucial because there won't be another high pick for at least another 2 years.

laughingnome
3rd September 2009, 01:54 PM
Well, if it's Lucas he can have the #28 jumper if he wants to emulate his dad.

troyjones2525
25th September 2009, 07:22 PM
Just been watching the TAC Cup Grand Final and #16 Jake Melksham for Calder looks like a gun midfielder! The big fella Temel who kicked a bag today also looks like a promising Key forward prospect with REAL size! Not sure where either are projected to go in the draft but we could do worse, especially if we could get Temel with a latter round pick because i think he'd have a big upside. I think Melksham looks like he has the class of a first rounder but not sure if he's worthy of pick 6?

DST
25th September 2009, 07:41 PM
Just been watching the TAC Cup Grand Final and #16 Jake Melksham for Calder looks like a gun midfielder! The big fella Temel who kicked a bag today also looks like a promising Key forward prospect with REAL size! Not sure where either are projected to go in the draft but we could do worse, especially if we could get Temel with a latter round pick because i think he'd have a big upside. I think Melksham looks like he has the class of a first rounder but not sure if he's worthy of pick 6?

Temel will go somewhere between 8 and 16, as first rounder. His finals form will not see him fall to our second pick unfortunately.

Melksham looked good and has been talked about being drafted somewhere from the 2nd round onwards.

Depending on what is left at 6, it will be either a Martin, Lucas or Rohan with our first and then a KP forward or defender with the next.

DST

Darren Thomson
25th September 2009, 09:18 PM
Midfielder with pace whi can kick

troyjones2525
25th September 2009, 11:03 PM
Depending on what is left at 6, it will be either a Martin, Lucas or Rohan with our first and then a KP forward or defender with the next.

DST
:D[/QUOTE]

Of the 3 players named i hadn't seen or heard anything on Dustin Martin so checked him out and from what i saw he looks impressive and what we are after, a ball magnet with excellent skills! Lets just hope come draft day they make the right choice!:)

BSA5
25th September 2009, 11:16 PM
Temel will go somewhere between 8 and 16, as first rounder. His finals form will not see him fall to our second pick unfortunately.

Melksham looked good and has been talked about being drafted somewhere from the 2nd round onwards.

DST

Temel didn't even make the state side, did he? Obviously that doesn't mean he won't get drafted, but it would be HIGHLY unusual for him to go in the first, or even second, round.

Having said that, I've never seen him play. Most seem to think he'll be a late/rookie pick though.

Matt79
25th September 2009, 11:22 PM
Temel didn't even make the state side, did he? Obviously that doesn't mean he won't get drafted, but it would be HIGHLY unusual for him to go in the first, or even second, round.

Having said that, I've never seen him play. Most seem to think he'll be a late/rookie pick though.

Temel looked like a cross between Buddy Franklin and Goodes.

I'd love to snap him up in the draft!

BSA5
26th September 2009, 01:17 AM
Temel looked like a cross between Buddy Franklin and Goodes.

I'd love to snap him up in the draft!

Looks can be deceiving. I'm not saying they are, but there are clearly question marks over him. It may be that he has been identified as unlikely to be able to make the transition from TAC to AFL, for whatever reason. As I said, I haven't seen him, but I'd say there has been a lower amount of interest for a reason. I'm not saying he won't get drafted, but it's unlikely he'll be in the first round.

Hartijon
26th September 2009, 10:25 AM
Really impressed with the level of knowledge you guys have about the draft youngsters.Whatever we do will always be a bit of a lottery because judging potential is an imprecise science. There is no scientific scale for things like guts,reading the play,injury prone,homesickness and all the multitude of influences that could spoil an AFL career.Roosey's statement should hold because pace is useless without accurate delivery whereas one skillful midfielder who puts 3 kicks a quarter on a forwards chest is worth his weight in gold!Be nice to get both in one player. That should be the aim of the first pick.Second should be tall KP with potential..you guys seem to find someone called Temel? who fits this bill.Would there be a player with X factor left for 3rd pick? Jetta? Might we get another second pick through trading?

Matt79
26th September 2009, 12:32 PM
Looks can be deceiving. I'm not saying they are, but there are clearly question marks over him. It may be that he has been identified as unlikely to be able to make the transition from TAC to AFL, for whatever reason. As I said, I haven't seen him, but I'd say there has been a lower amount of interest for a reason. I'm not saying he won't get drafted, but it's unlikely he'll be in the first round.

No doubt that looks can be deceiving! Don't forget however, that our dual Brownlow Medallist and Premiership player Goodsey was a low draft pick!

Bazman
26th September 2009, 01:48 PM
Anyone know much about Myles Sewell he's running around for North Ballarat?
He's had a pretty good year with North they won the VFL Grand Final last night and he's also won the JJ Liston Trophy. He's 21 and the brother of Brad. So at 21 how come he's not playing in the big league?

26th September 2009, 03:03 PM
Notice Melksham was BOG for the Cannons in the GF. His stocks are rising. Reckon we'll get someone very good with pick 6.

ShockOfHair
27th September 2009, 07:46 PM
Jack Trengove was one of the best on ground in the SANFL prelim today. Tallish midfielder, good footy smarts. He's tipped to go as high as 3, so probably out of our reach, but definitely worth a pick 6 if he comes our way.

27th September 2009, 08:21 PM
Jack Trengove was one of the best on ground in the SANFL prelim today. Tallish midfielder, good footy smarts. He's tipped to go as high as 3, so probably out of our reach, but definitely worth a pick 6 if he comes our way.

Watched the game on telly, Trengrove looks a future star on what he did today, neats skills, reads the play well. Doubt he'll last until pick 6.

DST
27th September 2009, 09:10 PM

Would have said the same thing before the TAC finals series as well, but he has kicked more than 25 in their finals campaign and with the dearth of KP talls in the draft he has rocked up the ratings in the last month and a half.

There will be some higher places clubs entering the draft past pick 10 that will be willing to part with a first rounder, maybe even Melbourne at 11 after taking Scully and Trengove with their first two picks.

DST

caj23
28th September 2009, 09:45 AM
Would have said the same thing before the TAC finals series as well, but he has kicked more than 25 in their finals campaign and with the dearth of KP talls in the draft he has rocked up the ratings in the last month and a half.

There will be some higher places clubs entering the draft past pick 10 that will be willing to part with a first rounder, maybe even Melbourne at 11 after taking Scully and Trengove with their first two picks.

DST

I'm no TAC expert but I understand that prior to his finals series, he would have been a rookie selection at best (if taken at all). Apparently there are some question marks over him that will should still see him there in the later part of the draft.

caj23
28th September 2009, 10:38 AM
Just to add some further feedback, there seems to be a question mark over his mobility and work at ground level. Apparently a big unit who can dominate the younger smaller guys at TAC level but may struggle on opponents his own size in the AFL.

lwjoyner
28th September 2009, 11:36 AM
Can someone give me some info on Rohan.Lucas and anyne else deemed to be our first pick at 6.

Reggi
29th September 2009, 12:02 AM
No doubt that looks can be deceiving! Don't forget however, that our dual Brownlow Medallist and Premiership player Goodsey was a low draft pick!

We need to be careful. That year clubs could only draft one 17 YO, so Goodes wasn't as late as he looked.

Some of the 17YO taken ahead of him were Travis Johnstone, Brad Ottens, Nick Stevens Trent Croad, Luke Power, chris Tarrent, Dean Soloman

It was a really rich draft. He would have gone far earlier had the rules allowed

troyjones2525
29th September 2009, 12:33 AM
Can someone give me some info on Rohan.Lucas and anyne else deemed to be our first pick at 6.

AFL Draft Info (http://www.afldraftinfo.com/) and
AFL Draft - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/nab%20afl%20draft/tabid/282/default.aspx) will give you some info on these players and more. Just click on NAB Afl draft news for articles on this years prospects.

stellation
29th September 2009, 07:44 AM
Who's the lanky-ish ginger forward that played for Vic country?

BSA5
30th September 2009, 12:02 AM

Gary Rohan. From the sounds of it, could be anything. Screams potential dud, but is also an excitement machine that could be an absolute star. Ridiculous pace and acceleration.

Robbo
30th September 2009, 12:34 AM
Personally I'm tossing up between Tapscott and Jetta for pick 6. Jetta can do some freakish things and is so fast but has almost no inside game which is a big downside. Tapscott doesn't have the X-factor that Jetta does but he is still quick and has a bigger body so can play inside aswell. Leaning towards Tapscott because I think Jetta will get homesick. Jetta is a shy sort of kid and may struggle to adjust to being away from family. He literally could be anything though. I just think Tapscott is a safer bet.

With one of our later picks I think we need to look at a specialist small forward.

Robbo
30th September 2009, 12:36 AM

Wasn't overly impressed with him from the 7 minutes of footage I've seen.

stellation
30th September 2009, 07:42 AM
Gary Rohan. From the sounds of it, could be anything. Screams potential dud, but is also an excitement machine that could be an absolute star. Ridiculous pace and acceleration.
That's him. I'm not sure I'd grab him at 6, but if he's still around for our later picks I'd snaffle him.

stellation
30th September 2009, 07:43 AM
Wasn't overly impressed with him from the 7 minutes of footage I've seen.
He looks very, very quick.

Jeffers1984
30th September 2009, 09:13 AM
Personally I'm tossing up between Tapscott and Jetta for pick 6. Jetta can do some freakish things and is so fast but has almost no inside game which is a big downside. Tapscott doesn't have the X-factor that Jetta does but he is still quick and has a bigger body so can play inside aswell. Leaning towards Tapscott because I think Jetta will get homesick. Jetta is a shy sort of kid and may struggle to adjust to being away from family. He literally could be anything though. I just think Tapscott is a safer bet.

With one of our later picks I think we need to look at a specialist small forward.

Dustin Martin should be picked ahead of Tapscott if he is available which is a likely prospect if North go for Cunnington.

shaun..
30th September 2009, 11:56 AM
Dustin Martin should be picked ahead of Tapscott if he is available which is a likely prospect if North go for Cunnington.

Yep Martin could be the classy mid we've been craving for..better kick than Tapscott when comparing their respective videos

Jeffers1984
30th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Yep Martin could be the classy mid we've been craving for..better kick than Tapscott when comparing their respective videos

Martin over Lucas, Rohan and Tappscott for mine.

However if Butcher slips through that could also cause some debate on who to pick, but if that were to happen i reckon Martin would be gone by then.

10Totti10
1st October 2009, 06:33 PM
Reading abit about Morabito and he is the player we need to get. He is athletic, a midfielder, can play as a KPP, etc. Nickname is 'Goodes'. If he falls that far back to 6, we will get him.

Nico
1st October 2009, 07:59 PM
I heard Kevin Sheehan the doyen on drafts on SEN and he named 4 or 5 players expected to go early like Scully and Trengrove and seemed to have Butcher at about 5 or 6. He said he was the best KPP in the draft so we would be mad not to go for him if available given our surplus of smalls.

dread and might
1st October 2009, 08:09 PM
Nickname is 'Goodes'.

Great. Another Ed Barlow

DST
1st October 2009, 08:30 PM
I heard Kevin Sheehan the doyen on drafts on SEN and he named 4 or 5 players expected to go early like Scully and Trengrove and seemed to have Butcher at about 5 or 6. He said he was the best KPP in the draft so we would be mad not to go for him if available given our surplus of smalls.

It would be so tempting, but for the sake of our list and where we are at present we have to take a midfielder who has great skills and is an above average decision maker.

The better teams now run 6 to 8 deep in their midfield rotations and to start to rebuild we are going to need to add this type of midfielder to support the likes of McVeigh, Bird, Jack and Hannaberry.

I thinl we can get by over the next four years with a combination of White, Johnston, Curry and Goodes as our key marking forwards.

Our second pick could either be another mid (with out and out pace) or a KP defender.

DST

Nico
1st October 2009, 08:52 PM
It would be so tempting, but for the sake of our list and where we are at present we have to take a midfielder who has great skills and is an above average decision maker.

The better teams now run 6 to 8 deep in their midfield rotations and to start to rebuild we are going to need to add this type of midfielder to support the likes of McVeigh, Bird, Jack and Hannaberry.

I thinl we can get by over the next four years with a combination of White, Johnston, Curry and Goodes as our key marking forwards.

Our second pick could either be another mid (with out and out pace) or a KP defender.

DST

4 years is a long time in footy DST. Currie is already injury prone and Johnston has had a bad foot injury, so will he come up. Yes midfield strength is more important these days but you still have to find KPP. I read this week about the need for 6 - 8 midfield rotations and that the small players were making a comeback in the draft calculations.

2 years ago smalls were taboo. How the cycles change quickly in our game.

You still need talls up forward to mark and down back to spoil.

ScottH
2nd October 2009, 07:43 AM

Great, Nico. Just what we need. Another player who butchers the ball. :rolleyes:

dread and might
2nd October 2009, 08:30 AM
I want Rohan, having watched the youtube video. A few phantom drafts have him available @ 6 and he has PACE

Jeffers1984
2nd October 2009, 09:09 AM
I want Rohan, having watched the youtube video. A few phantom drafts have him available @ 6 and he has PACE

Rohan would be my 2nd preference behind Martin.

Martin is a type that you could build a midfield around i reckon.

RogueSwan
2nd October 2009, 12:22 PM

Some players, such as Geelong Falcon Gary Rohan and Bendigo's Dustin Martin were incredibly accurate. source (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kicking-test-a-breeze/story-e6frf9jf-1225781857529)

This sounds very promising.

laughingnome
2nd October 2009, 12:51 PM

For the same reason I want Jetta.

dread and might
2nd October 2009, 02:45 PM
source (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kicking-test-a-breeze/story-e6frf9jf-1225781857529)

This sounds very promising.

might mean they don't fall as far. we'll probably draft a solidly built slow, ok kick who is definitely not aboriginal if the status quo is maintained

eggbeater
2nd October 2009, 07:09 PM
rohan topped the draftees at the draft camp kicking test

shaun..
2nd October 2009, 09:33 PM
rohan topped the draftees at the draft camp kicking test

Hm, surprised to be honest.. but i guess he wasn't going at full speed when performing those drills. His video was a mixed bag, i just can't get over that goal clanger!!

liz
2nd October 2009, 09:41 PM
Hm, surprised to be honest.. but i guess he wasn't going at full speed when performing those drills. His video was a mixed bag, i just can't get over that goal clanger!!

Goodsey has days when even his handballs frequently go to the opposition, and he's been known to miss the odd sitter, usually moments before he gathers the ball in the pocket, burns off three opponents and slots through a banana.

No idea what Rohan's skills are like because I've never seen him play, but you can't judge everything by a few minute YouTube reel.

DST
4th October 2009, 11:15 AM
Ouch, Tigers now keen on Martin at 3, which throws the whole thing out as Martin was our preferred option at 6.

I am not sold on Rohan (too much of the Daniel O'Keefe's about him) so it may mean Lucas now.

DST

Jeffers1984
4th October 2009, 11:19 AM
Ouch, Tigers now keen on Martin at 3, which throws the whole thing out as Martin was our preferred option at 6.

I am not sold on Rohan (too much of the Daniel O'Keefe's about him) so it may mean Lucas now.

DST

Yeah. Looks like he had a killer Draft Camp. :(

ScottH
4th October 2009, 11:57 AM
The possible picks in today's HS, have pick 6 as Rohan.

Reggi
4th October 2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/sewell-looks-to-follow-in-brothers-footsteps/2009/10/03/1254418753755.html

Hmmm late in article, the brother of Goodes

Cardinal
5th October 2009, 11:11 AM
Anyone remember which of the early touts for the draft grew up a Richmond fan ? Can't be many.

caj23
5th October 2009, 11:28 AM
Any thoughts on what we do if Butcher slides?

Do we trust that White and Johnstone are the future or do we go for a 3 pronged attack?

I suppose it will depend on what we end up with the Jolly trade. For example if Dawes is included our forward line options are covered

Cardinal
5th October 2009, 12:46 PM
Anyone remember which of the early touts for the draft grew up a Richmond fan ? Can't be many.

Scully ! Love this forum

DST
5th October 2009, 02:05 PM
Any thoughts on what we do if Butcher slides?

Do we trust that White and Johnstone are the future or do we go for a 3 pronged attack?

I suppose it will depend on what we end up with the Jolly trade. For example if Dawes is included our forward line options are covered

It will complicate matters, but for the sake of the list we need a midfielder with quality disposal skills.

There are a few KP players who are expected to fall between 15 and 25 and with the Jolly pick this could be used for a KP tall.

Damm, I hope either Richmond or North Melbourne don't take Martin.

DST

DST

Robbo
5th October 2009, 03:23 PM
Nah no need to draft Butcher. White and Johnstone are the blokes to take us forward.

7th October 2009, 09:59 AM
Item on the AFL website giving thoughts on the potential top 17 draft choices and some suggestions about who will go where early in the draft. Basically it has it like this
1& 2 Melbourne - Scully & Trengrove
3 Wretchmond - Martin
4 Freo - Morabito
5 North Melb - Cunnington

Leaves us quite a number of picks to salivate over!

Robbo
7th October 2009, 11:33 AM
I would be happy with Rohan, Lucas, Tapscott or Jetta.

Bleed Red Blood
7th October 2009, 05:30 PM
GO TALL WITH PICK SIX.

Look at Hannerbury - Pick 30.
Meredith - Pick 26.

We will be able to pick up a quality on baller with our second rounder.

We had to trade a good draft pick to get Playfair as insurance in case our tall forwards went down. I don't want us to go down that road again.

Draft a young defender now and we won't have to rush him into the side. Look at Johnston, if we'd drafted someone like that 3 years ago we wouldn't be talking about playing Goodes at CHF when he undoubtadly plays best in the midfield.

BSA5
7th October 2009, 10:13 PM
GO TALL WITH PICK SIX.

Meredith - Pick 26.

We had to trade a good draft pick to get Playfair as insurance in case our tall forwards went down. I don't want us to go down that road again.

Draft a young defender now and we won't have to rush him into the side. Look at Johnston, if we'd drafted someone like that 3 years ago we wouldn't be talking about playing Goodes at CHF when he undoubtadly plays best in the midfield.

The problem is that there aren't that many talls worthy of Pick 6. Butcher perhaps, but he's a fairly big risk. Talia, maaaybe. If we get Pick 14, then I wouldn't mind having a go at Panos or Black with that pick, with a midfielder picked at 6.

Jeffers1984
7th October 2009, 10:25 PM
With Pick 14 could we possibly take the risk and go for Lewis Jetta?

Will be an interesting month of speculation.

Robbo
7th October 2009, 10:32 PM
He may not be around at 14, but if he is, and all of Tapscott/Rohan/Lucas are gone then I think we should take the risk. The only thing that worries me about him is homesickness, I've got very little concern over his football ability.

UglyDuckling
7th October 2009, 10:53 PM
GO TALL WITH PICK SIX.

Meredith - Pick 26.

We dont have a great need for a tall our backline is settled and we have White, Johnston and Goodes to do our forward line work.

I heard Mick Malthouse say once that the only feature common to all premiership teams is gun midfields and i would tend to agree. We should use pick 6 and 9 or 14 gun mids i like the idea of Lucas and Colyer.

Then we should pick up some speculative talls that we can develop later in the draft or rookie list a la Grundy, White, Barlow

robamiee
7th October 2009, 11:00 PM
I would take Jetta @ 6 he wont last to 14....we need an outside running midfielder as i doubt morabito will still be around. if he is then take him ahead of Jetta
then take a pick of Butcher, Tapscott or Rohan

DST
7th October 2009, 11:12 PM
Great believer in going best available.

This year outside of Butcher, the top 25 all look to be midfielder/utlility types so it will be two midfielders with picks 6 and 14 (unless Butcher falls to 14 which is highly unlikely).

Our second pick at 14 will be the interesting one, if there is someone left who is an outside midfielder with heaps of pace that would be handy.

Our first pick will be on a midfielder who has quality disposa and decsion making skills as we lack depth in this area and modern footy with zones require players who can dispose of the football cleanly.

DST

UglyDuckling
7th October 2009, 11:16 PM
Great beleiver in going best available.

This year outside of Butcher, the top 25 all look to be midfielder/utlility types so it will be two midfielders with picks 6 and 14 (unless Butcher falls to 14 which is highly unlikely).

Our second pick at 14 will be the interesting one, if there is someone left who is an outside midfielder with heaps of pace that would be handy.

Our first pick will be on a midfielder who has quality disposa and decsion making skills as we lack depth in this area and modern footy with zones require players who can dispose of the football cleanly.

DST

Have a look at Colyer on youtube he is small so he is small so may slide but is super quick and has better endurance than Rohan. He was right up there with all the draft camp testing

YouTube - afldraftinfo.com - Travis Colyer vs Vic Country - 2009 AFL U18 Championships - July 1st (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDrr9BjVWo)

robamiee
7th October 2009, 11:36 PM
he is quick.
But 2 probs i can see.
I would personally like to see our top 2 picks used on players who can pretty much step into the AFl system.
His size, (he would need ot add another 5-10 kilos just to be able to handle the hits...)
His endurance (unsure he maybe ok on this)
and we already have Vez as that crumbing forward...

but an exciting prospect to say the least....

liz
7th October 2009, 11:40 PM
We dont have a great need for a tall our backline is settled and we have White, Johnston and Goodes to do our forward line work.

Not sure how you can reach that conclusion.

If we draft a tall now, they are not going to be ready to hold down a key position for at least 3-4 years, by which time Goodes and B2 will be going or gone and LRT will have inched towards veteran status. We might be set for talls in our best 22 for next season but we have practically no depth (apart from our extended rucking division), especially since Murphy has pulled the plug.

And we have absolutely no idea how Johnstone is going to develop.

Sounds like they will go for a pure midfielder with the first pick, but after that there is plenty of scope for seeking out some taller players. And a couple of midgets wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - a Coyler or a Hooper maybe.

liz
7th October 2009, 11:43 PM
he is quick.
But 2 probs i can see.
I would personally like to see our top 2 picks used on players who can pretty much step into the AFl system.
His size, (he would need ot add another 5-10 kilos just to be able to handle the hits...)

Vezspremi is not a crumbing forward. If he lands up playing as a forward for much of his career, it will be more as a mid-sized forward, ala Nick Davis. But we really need to hope he can develop the endurance to play much further up the ground. If he can, it will be his delivery into the forward line that will prove to be his greatest asset - long, penetrating, high risk but also highly intelligent kicks.

UglyDuckling
7th October 2009, 11:43 PM
he is quick.
But 2 probs i can see.

He was in the top 10 for the beep test with 14.5

I think both vez should develop into a midfielder once he gets in endurance up spending time forward and midfield through 2010

I do agree that he is small, i cant argue with that, but because we have 6 and 14 i think if we have 1 that steps into AFL it would be pretty good. There isnt really a rush and i would rather a better long term player than the excitement of a good first year.

Triple B
7th October 2009, 11:55 PM
With a disclaimer that I know nothing of Colyer bar that 7 min YouTube clip, but his foot skills looks to be a worry.

UglyDuckling
8th October 2009, 12:00 AM
Not sure how you can reach that conclusion.

If we draft a tall now, they are not going to be ready to hold down a key position for at least 3-4 years, by which time Goodes and B2 will be going or gone and LRT will have inched towards veteran status. We might be set for talls in our best 22 for next season but we have practically no depth (apart from our extended rucking division), especially since Murphy has pulled the plug.

And we have absolutely no idea how Johnstone is going to develop.

Sounds like they will go for a pure midfielder with the first pick, but after that there is plenty of scope for seeking out some taller players. And a couple of midgets wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - a Coyler or a Hooper maybe.

I think we are saying the same thing. In the short term there isnt a glaring need to get talls for our backline like Hawthorn have. In the medium term however we need to find some replacements. I totally agree that we have very little depth in talls at the moment.

However i think you are better served using your early picks for gun mids and using lower picks for tall defenders. Gun midfielders are arguably more valuable and you need a few of them to win a flag; the more the merrier. Not that defenders arnt important because obviously they are.

There is also a good history of picking up defenders with later picks Brain Lake was #71 Scarlett f/s at 45 and our man Craig was #33 just to name a few.

Personally i think its a bit of a waste to use an early pick on a defender when we can develop solid ones from further down the draft

AnnieH
8th October 2009, 09:05 AM
DRAFT ORDER ....

Priority selection
1. Melbourne

First round
2. Melbourne
3. Richmond
4. Fremantle
5. North Melbourne
6. Sydney Swans
7. West Coast
8. Port Adelaide
9. Hawthorn
10. Essendon
11. Melbourne
12. Brisbane Lions
13. Adelaide
14. Collingwood
15. Western Bulldogs
16. Essendon
17. Geelong

Second round
18. Melbourne
19. Richmond
20. Fremantle
21. North Melbourne
22. West Coast
23. West Coast
24. Port Adelaide
25. North Melbourne
26. Essendon
27. Carlton
28. Sydney Swans
29. Adelaide
30. Collingwood
31. Western Bulldogs
32. St Kilda
33. Geelong

Third round
34. Melbourne
35. Richmond
36. Fremantle
37. North Melbourne
38. Sydney Swans
39. Sydney Swans
40. Port Adelaide
41. North Melbourne
42. Essendon
43. Carlton
44. Richmond
45. Adelaide
46. Collingwood
47. Brisbane Lions
48. Fremantle
49. Geelong

Fourth round
50. Melbourne
51. Richmond
52. Fremantle
53. North Melbourne
54. Sydney Swans
55. West Coast
56. Port Adelaide
57. Hawthorn
58. Essendon
59. Carlton
60. Brisbane Lions
61. Adelaide
62. Collingwood
63. Western Bulldogs
64. St Kilda
65. Geelong

Fifth round
66. Melbourne
67. Richmond
68. Fremantle
69. Hawthorn
70. Sydney Swans
71. West Coast
72. Port Adelaide
73. Hawthorn
74. Essendon
75. Carlton
76. Brisbane Lions
77. Adelaide
78. Collingwood
79. Western Bulldogs
80. St Kilda
81. Geelong

robamiee
8th October 2009, 11:36 AM
once you add the 2 collingwood picks in there, it would a while since we seen the swans with so many picks esp at the pointy end...

UglyDuckling
8th October 2009, 11:58 AM
once you add the 2 collingwood picks in there, it would a while since we seen the swans with so many picks esp at the pointy end...

Trade week isnt over yet the poo's and wee's will try for our second rounder for Kennedy as will Geelong for the big mummy best case scenario is we loose 38 and 39

robamiee
8th October 2009, 12:15 PM
i would be happy for that and use our 4th rndr for an exp player who ahs nom'd for the draft like coughlan...

DST
8th October 2009, 10:39 PM
A number of phantom drafts have Collingwood taking at pick 14 Jack Fitzpatrick from the Western Jets.

He is a 201 cm KP player who is described as quick for his size and great skills.

Interesting as at pick 14 I would think we will cast our attention towards a KP defender just like Collingwood.

DST

UglyDuckling
9th October 2009, 02:51 PM
So we have picks 6,14,38,54,55

Good to have 2 first rounders in a weak draft

We needs some gun mids with pace and skills and some KP depth

Hartijon
9th October 2009, 03:41 PM
A number of phantom drafts have Collingwood taking at pick 14 Jack Fitzpatrick from the Western Jets.

He is a 201 cm KP player who is described as quick for his size and great skills.

Interesting as at pick 14 I would think we will cast our attention towards a KP defender just like Collingwood.

DST

IMO your right but I am not sure the brains trust agrees. If we get Jetta and a KPP it will have been a perfect trade and draft process for the Swans. Now RWO gets so boring after drafting I might sign off soon until the pre-season. A VERY exciting 2010 coming up!Can't wait for our first few games and seeing how our new guys fit in and how much improvement we can get out of our established players.If they got rid of Buchanan surely Ablett won't hold down a position in the 1sts anymore.I think Kennedy and Mc Glynn will give us so much more.

DST
9th October 2009, 06:28 PM
IMO your right but I am not sure the brains trust agrees. If we get Jetta and a KPP it will have been a perfect trade and draft process for the Swans. Now RWO gets so boring after drafting I might sign off soon until the pre-season. A VERY exciting 2010 coming up!Can't wait for our first few games and seeing how our new guys fit in and how much improvement we can get out of our established players.If they got rid of Buchanan surely Ablett won't hold down a position in the 1sts anymore.I think Kennedy and Mc Glynn will give us so much more.

Sorry, we won't be going for Jetta wih our first pick as Roos is already on the record as saying that a midfielder with great decision making skills and decent disposal and not speed is what we require. That was going to be Dustin Martin but he is now looking likely to go earlier, so it may mean Lucas.

If Jetta is available at pick 14 they would have a serious look, but they would be more inclined to go with a KP defender at pick 14 as we are sorely in need of one to groom once C Bolton retires in the next couple of years.

DST

robamiee
9th October 2009, 10:23 PM
i would go for the 2 best outside midfielders if avail.
If only a decent one, then i would go for KP forward not a defensive one.

Morabito def if avail....
the either jetta or tapscott

MarshallG
9th October 2009, 10:33 PM
I have good feeling with how we did this year.

May mean squat but, it will get me through the summer.

staple
12th October 2009, 04:03 PM
Who do we take at these picks? Best available or focus on midfielders?

Possible #6:

Gary Rohan (HFF, HBF, Mid?)
John Butcher (KPP)
Kane Lucas (Mid)

Possible #14:

Jake Melksham (speedy mid)
Jack Fitzpatrick (KPP)
Jordan Gysberts (Mid)
Troy Taylor (Mid)

I would like to see Butcher or Rohan (not sure about red hair though) at 6 then Troy Taylor at 14.

Robbo
12th October 2009, 07:29 PM
I would go for Tapscott with 6. Most penetrating kick of the draft.

With 14 I would go for Jetta if he is available.

UglyDuckling
12th October 2009, 10:56 PM

Possible #6:

John Butcher (KPP)
Kane Lucas (Mid)

Possible #14:

Jack Fitzpatrick (KPP)
Jordan Gysberts (Mid)
Troy Taylor (Mid)

I would like to see Butcher or Rohan (not sure about red hair though) at 6 then Troy Taylor at 14.

I like where your heading. I prefer the safe option both Rohan and Butcher present an element or risk while it seems Lucas is a no brainer to become at least a decent AFL player

Troy taylor sounds good. The more players with pace and skills the better

13th October 2009, 09:07 AM
This is a draft with few standout talls, but a healthy number of high quality mids. Having picked up two mids in trading (lost Buchanon though) we will obviously use pick 6 on the best available mid and with 14 grab the best available tall.

If the early draft goes according to current thinking, Scully, Trengove, Martin, Morabito, Cunnington, we'd be looking at Rohan, Tapscott, Lucas, Melksha and maybe Jetta.

Depending on what the needs of the other teams picking from 7 to 13 are will depend on what we have available at 14.

I see there are a couple of impediments to grabbing a tall at 14, that impediment being Melbourne who have pick 11 and already two quality mids at 1 & 2 so will certainly take a tall like Butcher, Carlisle or Black (WA). Also in the market for a tall are Port who have picks 8 & 9, a mid and a tall, one of the above three probably.

So to have one of the above three talls still there at 14 we need WCE, Essendon, Carlton & Adelaide to pick a mid with thir picks before us at 14.

Fascinating stuff, the scenarios that the drafters play with in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Be good TV with the picks we've got.

satchmopugdog
13th October 2009, 10:41 AM
14 is a lucky number for the Swans.

Jeffers1984
13th October 2009, 11:39 AM
ideally i'd like Martin at 6 but if not i'd go with Cunnington/Rohan/Lucas

14 - Butcher/Talia (Doubt Butcher will last till 14 with Melb having 11)

Although i wouldn't be too disappointed if we did 6- Rohan 14 - Jetta.

Primmy
13th October 2009, 02:40 PM
14 is a lucky number for the Swans.

oooh Satch, forgot that!! So we are looking for a wiry little bugger with no arse, yes? Or a built low to ground bulldog of a bloke with a big grin. :p

Matt79
13th October 2009, 05:25 PM
Anyone else reckon the Swans may just pick Robert Shirley up in the draft?

I hope not...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/crows-cant-be-serious-about-robert-shirley/story-e6frf9jf-1225786347831

laughingnome
13th October 2009, 05:36 PM
I hope not...

Any particular reason you don't want him?

Matt79
13th October 2009, 05:43 PM
Any particular reason you don't want him?

No doubting he is a capable player, however, I don't think we need him for a number of reasons...

a) We have enough 'tagger' type players
b) Age
c) Would take the spot of a young kid and seemingly go against the trade mentality of the Swans during trade week. All players traded in are under 25.

Industrial Fan
13th October 2009, 05:51 PM
More likely to pick up Tenace or Jesse Smith.

Matt79
13th October 2009, 05:52 PM
More likely to pick up Tenace or Jesse Smith.

I'd be more happy with that. I feel we need speed!

ScottH
13th October 2009, 06:19 PM
Is Smith over his major hamstring issues?
Didn't sound like it in the article, on the weekend.

May not be worth a punt.

DST
13th October 2009, 06:28 PM
Is Smith over his major hamstring issues?
Didn't sound like it in the article, on the weekend.

May not be worth a punt.

It's a pre season draft pick so it aint worth anything really unless someone of the quality like Craig Bolton comes along.

I would be one for saying yes to Jesse Smith, if we managed to get him playing that would be a massive get as he is quality.

If we didn't (and we are one the best at it) then it's was punt with a PSD pick worth taking.

DST

satchmopugdog
13th October 2009, 06:41 PM
Don't see why we would pick up an injury prone player when we just delisted 2.

liz
13th October 2009, 06:58 PM
Don't see why we would pick up an injury prone player when we just delisted 2.

And held onto another two.

JUDO
13th October 2009, 07:04 PM
If we were to pick up another older player, that had suffered a couple of years with injury. with a late pick in the pre season draft, I would consider Nathan Brown from Richmond. At least we know he can play

hammo
13th October 2009, 07:17 PM
And held onto another two.

Three if you throw Malceski and his issues into the mix.

sWAns63
13th October 2009, 07:54 PM

Possible #6:

John Butcher (KPP)
Kane Lucas (Mid)

Possible #14:

Jack Fitzpatrick (KPP)
Jordan Gysberts (Mid)
Troy Taylor (Mid)

Who to take
Rohan could be star and has the pace and brains to get by if he isn't.
Lucas seems like a skifull type player
Jetta a bit older is very evasive.
One of these three
All three should play AFL next year

Reggi
13th October 2009, 08:43 PM
We should draft John Butcher, because he sounds like the next Henry Playfair

DST
13th October 2009, 10:03 PM
We should draft John Butcher, because he sounds like the next Henry Playfair

Agree, we are just not in a position to go with a KP forward who has potential but has noted skill issues with kicking. It can be fixed but it is too much of a risk with pick 6.

The other issue is that he is a KP forward only, there are other potential KP players who can go forward or back which makes them far more attractive to us at pick 14 than Butcher at pick 6.

I would be absolutely gob smacked if we took Butcher at pick 6 in the draft, he may turn out a brilliant KP forward but we are list wise not able to take such a punt at pick 6 on a KP forward only.

DST

Thunder Shaker
13th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Pick 6 should be used to draft the best available player regardless of position. Rich was drafted with pick 7 last year. Pick 6 will probably be used on a midfielder. I don't know enough about this year's draft prospects to suggest names, but we must be willing to pounce with alacrity on any pre-draft top three prospect that is still around at pick 6.

satchmopugdog
14th October 2009, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Reggi;462745]We should draft John Butcher

It's all falling into place..my Dad was a butcher in East Launceston and used to deliver meat to our neighbours the Roberts-Thompsons. The plot thickens..... time for bed I think

SimonH
15th October 2009, 03:34 PM
Of the half-a-team delisted by Brisbane today, I think Jason Roe would be the pick. Perhaps only an insurance/fringe player, but would seemingly slot nicely into our dynamic backline.

That said, seeing we've traded with Brisbane this year, we might have already passed on him.

Primmy
15th October 2009, 03:53 PM
If Brissy has unloaded all those boys, who on earth do they think they are going to get in the PSD to play catchup!! I am having a major case of the WHATTHAS at present. There can't be that much talent available! Or are they unloading whilly nilly to make room in the money box for Fev....who doesn't even want to be there - he said it, he wanted Collingwood, who didn't want him. Go figure.

10Totti10
15th October 2009, 05:34 PM
we should make a move for Rhan Hooper. For free in the draft would be a great pick up. Only 21 and he can score alot of goals.

Jeffers1984
15th October 2009, 05:58 PM
we should make a move for Rhan Hooper. For free in the draft would be a great pick up. Only 21 and he can score alot of goals.

If he gets his personal @@@@ all sorted them i reckon he may be worth a punt.

Ludwig
15th October 2009, 06:04 PM
Jason Roe is absolutely atrocious. I saw a recent game that he played, and he made so many costly errors, including some super soft plays, I knew for certain that Vossy would be steaming over it, and there was no way he would be at the Lions next year. Not our sort of player either.

I would also take a look a Hooper. Has some talent. Only the behavioural issues to deal with. Both worth a look.

Primmy
15th October 2009, 09:04 PM
Doubt they would look at Hooper. His issues are very destabilising. Not worth the candle.

Auntie.Gerald
17th October 2009, 04:01 PM
"He has since completed medicals with the Lions, Hawthorn, Essendon and Geelong, and his manager Liam Pickering has fielded enquires from the Sydney Swans and Fremantle. "

Former Kangaroo Smith lines up Lions - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86157/default.aspx)

robamiee
17th October 2009, 04:55 PM
late pick or SD pick if nothing else avail, just due to his injury risk...

swans song
17th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Providing he is as slow as few of our existing ones he's a certainity

Industrial Fan
17th October 2009, 07:26 PM
Hope he enters the ND rather than PSD.

Chilcott
19th October 2009, 11:00 AM
Noticed that Brisbane delisted Rhan Cooper, Scott Harding and Joel McDonald last week.

All three of them appear to have above average ability from the Brissy games I have seen. They are not stars, but they do a job.

Cooper and Harding are small forwards (???) and McDonald is a half back flanker, who can play some key position.

Would one of these players be worth taking as a final round draft pick in the November draft, considering the draft is a bit thin this year (thats what they say every year).

reigning premier
19th October 2009, 11:57 AM
I'd love to grab Macdonald. But listening to some people, he seems to be very injury prone.

And FTR, it's Hooper, Not Cooper.

Robbo
20th October 2009, 10:22 PM
Now Hooper I'm very interested in. Fills a big need. I would much rather we give one of the last spots to him instead of Bradshaw.

caj23
21st October 2009, 09:07 AM
Now Hooper I'm very interested in. Fills a big need. I would much rather we give one of the last spots to him instead of Bradshaw.

Except that he's gone AWOL for 2 of his 4 pre-seasons among other acts of indiscipline

Sounds like a lost cause for mine

dread and might
21st October 2009, 09:36 AM
Don't really rate Hooper. Flashes of brilliance, long periods of laziness and invisibility.

Jeffers1984
21st October 2009, 03:05 PM
Bulldogs delist an O'Keefe! ...Guy that is.
Apparently Guy was consistent in the VFL but never got a chance at the big time. Some doggies supporters say he has major FIGJAM issues.

Also Malcolm Lynch got delisted. Former NSWman and small forward..maybe worth a rookie shot?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/86243/default.aspx

Bas
21st October 2009, 05:48 PM
If Brissy has unloaded all those boys, who on earth do they think they are going to get in the PSD to play catchup!!

Well we had 4 empty spots before Schmidt's retirement. If Kennelly doesn't come back that will be six spots. Add two veterans and we might have 8 spots before any rookie promotions.

I'm sure we will draft some discarded players.

Robbo
21st October 2009, 11:12 PM
Don't really rate Hooper. Flashes of brilliance, long periods of laziness and invisibility.

You could say that about almost every small forward in the league.

SimonH
22nd October 2009, 12:15 AM
Also Malcolm Lynch got delisted. Former NSWman and small forward..maybe worth a rookie shot?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/86243/default.aspxYep. Definitely rookie Malcolm Lynch. As the article says, some chance of getting re-drafted or rookied by the Dogs, so leap in ahead of 'em in the rookie draft (if they don't take him in the ND), I say. Absolutely no harm in seeing if he can get on the park in Canberra; if he can, I'm sure he'll do a few things to wow the locals.

BSA5
22nd October 2009, 12:34 AM
Bulldogs delist an O'Keefe! ...Guy that is.
Apparently Guy was consistent in the VFL but never got a chance at the big time. Some doggies supporters say he has major FIGJAM issues.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/86243/default.aspx

That's interesting. GOK apparently dominated at VFL level, Doggies fans were screaming for him to get a go, but Eade apparently took a disliking to him. Well, Eade took a disliking to Kirk as well. I reckon he could be worth a shot with a later pick.

Auntie.Gerald
24th October 2009, 11:19 PM
Ex-Lion keen to cure listless condition | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/scott-harding-keen-to-cure-listless-condition/story-e6frf9jf-1225790725561)

Scott Harding keen to cure listless condition......

sharp9
25th October 2009, 06:58 AM
Don't have time to watch many non swans games...but Jesse Smith is Class, Class, Class....when he got ion the park. Clearly rates himself, too and not backward in coming forward. Interesting, very interesting.

top40
25th October 2009, 08:26 AM
To date 44 senior players have been delisted from their 2009 Team list. Is there a player worth considering?

ADELAIDE: Robert Shirley, Nick Gill, Greg Gallman, Aaron Kite, Tom Lee
BRISBANE LIONS : Scott Clouston, Scott Harding, Rhan Hooper, Kieran King, Joel Macdonald, Jason Roe, Matthew Tyler
CARLTON: Adam Hartlett, Jordan Bannister, Adam Bentick, Jake Edwards
COLLINGWOOD: Chris Bryan, Danny Stanley
FREMANTLE: Adam Campbell
GEELONG: Matthew Egan, Kane Tenace, Adam Donohue, Dan McKenna, Scott Simpson
MELBOURNE: Russell Robertson, Simon Buckley
NORTH MELBOURNE: Daniel Harris, Sam Power, Matt Riggio, Michael Wundke
PORT ADELAIDE: Nick Lower, Jonathan Giles
RICHMOND: Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan
ST KILDA: Colm Begley, Eljay Connors,
SYDNEY SWANS: Ryan Brabazon, Matthew Laidlaw, Daniel O'Keefe,
WESTERN BULLDOGS: Wayde Skipper, Paul O'Shea, Cameron Wight, Guy O'Keefe
WEST COAST: Chad Fletcher

Primmy
25th October 2009, 09:06 AM
That's interesting. GOK apparently dominated at VFL level, Doggies fans were screaming for him to get a go, but Eade apparently took a disliking to him. Well, Eade took a disliking to Kirk as well. I reckon he could be worth a shot with a later pick.

Bingo. And Frosty. And Cook.

As for Hooper, no. It would be a travesty considering Nic Davis was dropped froom the Swans. :p

But Daniel Harris? Scott Harding? Not so very shabby. If GOK is young enough and wants to get to Sydney and is not too FIGJAM, then pehaps its worth a look.

Eade also dumped the cross dresser Heuskes and Stafford our only big ruckman at the time and took on that idiot who smoked and also had a major case of the FIGJAMS (who got dumped from another two teams - I think it made 4 in all).

And also perhaps Matty Laidlaw could get another gig.

Bas
25th October 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm guessing we will draft mid fielders with our first two picks. However, I would rather see the next best player available picked.

We haven't drafted a KPP backman for a while.

eggbeater
25th October 2009, 01:26 PM
Would love us to snag Cunnington somehow, ferocious at the ball, and good in the clinches can also sneak up forward for a few goals.

Really really hope North pass him up!

And also Talia at 14 would be excellent!

25th October 2009, 03:34 PM
I reckon midfielder at pick 6 and a number of mouth watering types will be avaiulable. Then a tall, good chance Talia will still be there at pick 14, only dangers are Tankers with their third pick at 11 or Poor Powa with their second at pick 9. Here's what Burgan says

Daniel Talia (Calder Cannons, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 02/10/91
Recruited from: Assumption College
Talia will be one of the most sought after key defender/forwards in this year's draft. He could sneak into the top 10 or at worst push into the early stage of the second round.
Draft range: 8-25

We've still got up to seven picks in the drafts (assuming two Vets listings) plus another if Kennelly doesn't return.

Use five up to pick 55 on youngsters in the main draft, the junk time picks which will probably be around the late 60s/early 70s we could use for a recycled. I've heard good things about Guy O'Keefe so was surprised to see him delited by the dogs.

Bradshaw in the PSD of course.

Bloods05
25th October 2009, 04:59 PM
Bingo. And Frosty. And Cook.

.....that idiot who smoked and also had a major case of the FIGJAMS (who got dumped from another two teams - I think it made 4 in all).

Who was that?

laughingnome
25th October 2009, 06:23 PM
Who was that?

Pretty sure he's referring to Ricky Mott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Mott).

Mitchell
25th October 2009, 07:37 PM
I reckon midfielder at pick 6 and a number of mouth watering types will be avaiulable. Then a tall, good chance Talia will still be there at pick 14, only dangers are Tankers with their third pick at 11 or Poor Powa with their second at pick 9. Here's what Burgan says

Daniel Talia (Calder Cannons, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 02/10/91
Recruited from: Assumption College
Talia will be one of the most sought after key defender/forwards in this year's draft. He could sneak into the top 10 or at worst push into the early stage of the second round.
Draft range: 8-25

We've still got up to seven picks in the drafts (assuming two Vets listings) plus another if Kennelly doesn't return.

Use five up to pick 55 on youngsters in the main draft, the junk time picks which will probably be around the late 60s/early 70s we could use for a recycled. I've heard good things about Guy O'Keefe so was surprised to see him delited by the dogs.

Bradshaw in the PSD of course.

707 can you post a link to this please? Would be interested to have a read of all the possible draftees and what Burgan has to say.

Cheers,

Mitch

Bas
25th October 2009, 08:14 PM
Pretty sure he's referring to Ricky Mott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Mott).

That's the one.

Two claims of fame at the Swans. Missing the winning goal in the first game at Homebush (hard to blame him for the loss) but my favourite was when he knocked out Frosty accidently with a stray kick at the SCG on a Saturday night. Can't remember who it was against but the Swans got flogged and at least Frosty was saved the humiliation.

Bas
25th October 2009, 08:22 PM
707 can you post a link to this please? Would be interested to have a read of all the possible draftees and what Burgan has to say.

Cheers,

Mitch

AFL Draft News - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaflrisingstarsprogram/nabafldraft/draftnews/tabid/13521/default.aspx)

Me pretending I am 707.

Mitchell
25th October 2009, 08:23 PM
AFL Draft News - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaflrisingstarsprogram/nabafldraft/draftnews/tabid/13521/default.aspx)

Me pretending I am 707.

Cheers Bas.

Much appreciated.

Jeffers1984
25th October 2009, 08:36 PM
That's the one.

Two claims of fame at the Swans. Missing the winning goal in the first game at Homebush (hard to blame him for the loss) but my favourite was when he knocked out Frosty accidently with a stray kick at the SCG on a Saturday night. Can't remember who it was against but the Swans got flogged and at least Frosty was saved the humiliation.That was a ripper as well Bas but i think it was at the Telstra Dome.

Mott put alot of weight on those kicks and on himself during the off-season.

Auntie.Gerald
27th October 2009, 09:53 PM
there must be enough if we want him back.......who is after Luke Ball ?

ScottH
27th October 2009, 10:11 PM
there must be enough if we want him back.......who is after Luke Ball ?

Melbourne.

g60
28th October 2009, 03:59 AM
who is the young gun player we are taking at the 2010 national draft with the father/son rule? I cannot remember his name and wanted to follow his progress this year.

wearebloods
28th October 2009, 07:26 AM
who is the young gun player we are taking at the 2010 national draft with the father/son rule? I cannot remember his name and wanted to follow his progress this year.
Think it's Barry Mitchell's kid -> Tom Mitchell Barry Mitchell's son a gun? - RedAndWhiteOnline.com Messageboard (http://cli.gs/3PTum3)

g60
28th October 2009, 01:31 PM
that's the one, thanks. if he developes nicely we could get ourselves a gun outside mid for 2011. would be great if he came to us under the father/son rule despite being the no.1 draft prospect player of 2011.

should be exciting to watch the club develope over next 2 yrs, with a good chance at a flag tilt in 2012/13.

Reggi
28th October 2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.footballnation.com.au/the-afl-draft/still-up-for-goodes/

If only to keep the other brother happy

Jeffers1984
28th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Pick 6 from the 'superdraft' Mitch Thorp got delisted from the Hawks.

g60
28th October 2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.footballnation.com.au/the-afl-draft/still-up-for-goodes/

If only to keep the other brother happy

would be good to see them play together, have seen a couple of articles before on brett and he seems unlucky not to have been picked up earlier in his career. pitty he is a mid though, would have been good if he was a kkp. what is his stats, size etc.

Asterix
29th October 2009, 10:26 AM
Looks like Scully, Trengove, Morabito and Dustin Martin are favoured as the top 4. So the most highly rated guys, according to that Burgan review anyway, are Cunnington, Rohan, Tapscott, Kane Lucas, Butcher and Jake Carlisle, Melksham and Lewis Jetta.

Out of those Cunnington, Rohan and Lucas sound pretty good.

I'm looking forward to it!

ugg
29th October 2009, 05:02 PM
Hall's BFF Matt Maguire delisted by the Sainters.

Jeffers1984
29th October 2009, 07:53 PM
hope some of these guys last till the PSD as it would mean that minimizes the chance of anyone poaching Bradshaw.

sharp9
30th October 2009, 07:43 AM
I say, yes, yes, yes. Genuine KP defender who can roost goals from 60. Would be superb on the SCG.

(Matt Maguire delisted, for those who don't know)

goswannie14
30th October 2009, 07:51 AM
No, too soft.

Unless we can get him for nothing, them I would entertain the idea.

Lucky Knickers
30th October 2009, 08:10 AM
I adore Matt Maguire but I would have the fear that his leg break and subsequent issues in recovery mean his career at the top level is over.

Chilcott
30th October 2009, 08:28 AM
No.

Would you put McGuire ahead of Bolton, LRT and the improving Grundy - probably not.

So what's the point of drafting him. If the spot is available we'd be better off taking a punt on a someone younger.

Cardinal
30th October 2009, 08:29 AM
I say that despite the fact we are already tragetting Nathan Brown from Richmond, with the extra spots on our list we can certainly risk getting Goose on board. Irrespective of any injury risk, his still got talent and was capable of playing with the 1sts at the Saints.

I also think we should make inquiries of Mitchthorpe from the Hawks. He may have an attitiude problem but I like to think that he just couldn't get a run because of injury and havbing to compete with Roughie/Franklin.

Auntie.Gerald
30th October 2009, 08:33 AM
Goose cooked | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matt-goose-maguire-cooked/story-e6frf9jf-1225792611214)

caj23
30th October 2009, 08:46 AM
I say that despite the fact we are already tragetting Nathan Brown from Richmond

Where have you heard this? Geez I hope not:mad:

Cardinal
30th October 2009, 09:03 AM
Where have you heard this? Geez I hope not:mad:

I'm making stuff up but it's possible

liz
30th October 2009, 09:05 AM
with the extra spots on our list

Do we really have "extra spots" on the list. I think at the moment there are 5 spots, of which one is earmarked for Bradshaw. If Kennelly returns he takes one (my starting numbers are on the basis he is gone); if Playfair retires he frees up a spot. Nominating outside vets could increase it by up to two, but rookie elevations would decrease it - these two factors could easily net each other off.

So as things stand, it is entirely conceivable that the club could take as few as 3 youngsters in the draft as it is.

Cardinal
30th October 2009, 09:08 AM
Well I'm like everyone else and hope that Playfair is able to kick on but he may go as well.

Asterix
30th October 2009, 02:35 PM
AFL Draft Machine - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/Offseason/AFLDraftMachine/tabid/15250/Default.aspx)

Have you guys see this yet? A bit of fun.

robamiee
31st October 2009, 03:29 PM
Swans apparently have shown interest in the U18's championships best player medalist Andrew hooper...
His height though may be an issue, but seems a good player..

Rebel pushes his cause - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86435/default.aspx)

BSA5
31st October 2009, 03:39 PM
Swans apparently have shown interest in the U18's championships best player medalist Andrew hooper...
His height though may be an issue, but seems a good player..

Rebel pushes his cause - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86435/default.aspx)

I've been keen on us getting him for a while. Will probably be limited to a back pocket role, but we could do with that, and it might release Nick Smith into the middle a bit more in the future.

robamiee
31st October 2009, 05:26 PM
i think i would prefer hooper in the middle myself, but haven't seen enough nick smith to say other wise

liz
31st October 2009, 05:30 PM
Crouch was (still is!) only 173cm tall and he managed to carve himself a pretty respectable career.

How quick is Hooper? A combination of lack of lightning speed and short stature might count against him.

Haz
31st October 2009, 07:06 PM
AFL Draft Machine - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/Offseason/AFLDraftMachine/tabid/15250/Default.aspx)

Have you guys see this yet? A bit of fun.

This is awesome...shows lots of footage of the draftees I haven't seen before.
Makes me alot more confident about drafting either of Lucas, Rohan, or even Butcher, who will almost certainly be available when it comes to our pick!

Triple B
31st October 2009, 08:21 PM
i think i would prefer hooper in the middle myself, but haven't seen enough nick smith to say other wise

Smith has proven to be a ball magnet in his couple of seasons in the 2's. Trust me, he is just learning the ropes and waiting for his slight frame to bulk up a bit before he moves into that role in the seniors.

He won't spend the rest of his career minding the likes of Eddie Betts and Steven Milne as he did towards the end of 2009, he has way too much natural ball getting instinct to be wasted there in the long term.

BSA5
31st October 2009, 09:23 PM
Crouch was (still is!) only 173cm tall and he managed to carve himself a pretty respectable career.

How quick is Hooper? A combination of lack of lightning speed and short stature might count against him.

He's pretty quick: 2.90 over 20m at Draft Camp (3rd), and 7.98 in the agility test (2nd). He's also got a good standing vertical leap, coming in at 3rd with 70, somewhat cancelling out his height deficiency.

He didn't rank in the top 10 for repeat sprints though, suggesting fitness is quite a problem. Hopefully nothing a good couple of preseasons in a professional environment can't remedy though.

Jeffers1984
1st November 2009, 06:40 AM
Hooper would be okay with me. Small forwards seem to be a problem for us and Hooper would give us a direct option.

Smith would be wasted in maintaining that role. Midfield for Smitty.

I'm still torn between Lucas and Rohan and i'm hoping Talia gets to us at 14.

Legs Akimbo
1st November 2009, 08:02 AM
Just spent half an hour watching those vidoes. What a great site.

I would be happy with any of Cunnington, Rohan, Talia or Hooper, although have no idea what our draft strategy is - they all seem quite accomplished. Didn't have time to view others, so just focused on these palyers.

Cunnington, that guy has glue on his hands. Would be difficult to match up on as is slightly taller as a midfielder, but would outmark a lot of taggers. Also seems to have good evasive skills and racks up the numbers.

Rohan - no doubt he is very fast and has some great evasive skills. Even though he did well at the draft camp on the new kick test, I reckon he is a bit of a kick and pray sort of guy from what I saw. Not sold, based on what I saw (but hey, just video grabs, I'll leave it to the pundits). We need speed.

Talia - Hadn't really seen him before, but has CHB in the style of Jakovich written all over him. Seems to be quite mobile for a guy 194cm and a lot of his highlights reel was actually in the midfield. This guy would be perfect for us I reckon - would potentially complete a spine of White, Johnston, Talia.

Hooper - So many cliches apply, nuggety, chunk etc. etc. Someone has to replace Buchanen and Courch, surely, or our average height will get dangerously...precipitous, particualry with all our new ruckmen. He's such an old fashioned looking footy player, how could you not love Hooper. I reckon Bevo would be up against it if we drafted Hooper. Looks more of a back than forward to me, but I guess that's just where he has been playing U18 footy.

Auntie.Gerald
1st November 2009, 08:03 AM
Gary Rohan is an absolute excitement machine......he is like Dale from the Pies ie might only score 20 gaols max a season but creates so much one on one opportunity for a team

Anthony Morabito - if we are looking at someone to come into Seniors quickly you would think he must be up there also......190cm tall midfielder at 90kg and has a driving long kick ...... he plays a little wide of the ruck and reminds me a little of Goodes in his style of play

Talia looks dominant in the backs but I think David Astbury appears to be very good value......he looks very mobile for a tall 193cm or so? he is very strong at putting his body on the line for the mark.............I think showed enough so to able to play forward if need be....

I am a little worried about our backs going forward a year or so from now.....it remains to be seen if we can convert Barlow into a decent back or someone else in the team with some decent height........RLT probably wouldnt start at any other club in the AFL except maybe Melbourne, Bolton is 31 I think in 2010.......Grundy is solid but is not able to match up on a quick tall forward. If Johnston doesnt succeed in the forwards maybe he could become a strong CHB ?

Mitchell Carter looked very much like a Swans type of midfielder

Asterix
5th November 2009, 12:04 PM
Speculation mounting that we will get Rohan after North take Cunnington.

So the first 6 would be Scully and Trengove to Melbourne, someone who I can't remember (ahem) to Richmond, Morabito to Freo, Cunnington to North, Rohan to us.

Roos to choose between Cunnington, Rohan - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86641/default.aspx)

staple
6th November 2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-has-power-to-shape-order/story-e6frf9jf-1225794850561

Rounding out what appears to be a top six set in stone is leaping forward Gary Rohan heading to Sydney. Rohan's body is still immature, but he is an exciting talent and Sydney needs forwards after the departure of Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-stevenss-draft-predictions/story-e6frf9jf-1225794866053

1 Melb Jack Trengove

2 Melb Tom Scully

3 Rich Dustin Martin

4 Frem Anthony Morabito

5 NM Ben Cunnington

6 Syd Gary Rohan

7 WC Lewis Jetta

8 Port John Butcher

9 Port Jake Melsham

10 Ess Andrew Moore

11 Melb Aaron Black

12 Carl Daniel Talia

13 Adel Koby Stevens

14 Syd Kane Lucas

I really hope we get these two come draft day!!!

Jeffers1984
6th November 2009, 08:14 AM
Wow that would be a good coop.

Talia would be nice at 14 as well.

caj23
6th November 2009, 08:53 AM
Thought this quote from Kinnear Beattson re pick 6 was quite interesting:

"It's whether there will still be a standout player available or whether we go purely towards a needs basis."

Does this mean we are considering Butcher? Or is he talking about Rohan v Lucas v Talia

In the past we generally would have gone the safer option (i.e. Lucas), but Beattson in his time at the Lions wasn't afraid to select talls with early selections.

Mmmmmm all very interesting

Dalai Lama
6th November 2009, 09:03 AM
Rohan the Barbarian is a Timbaboon orginal?

hammo
6th November 2009, 09:24 AM
The Hun article talks about Rohan helping 'rebuild our spine' :confused: Rohan is a flanker who may develop into a midfielder.

Talia would be nice and would fill a vital need but all indications are he will be gone by 14. I would be surprised if Lucus was still available by then but surely we'd snap him up if he is, unless we go for the next best tall defender available.

Jeffers1984
6th November 2009, 09:27 AM
The Hun article talks about Rohan helping 'rebuild our spine' :confused: Rohan is a flanker who may develop into a midfielder.

No wonder he does.

"PICK 6: Gary Rohan 18 Geelong Falcons, forward, 196cm 79kg

The Swans need to start rebuilding their spine. This kid will help. Needs time in the gym though."

WTF. Rohan is listed at 186cm IIRC.

reigning premier
6th November 2009, 09:32 AM
It's in the Hun... It must be true.. :rolleyes:

Right up there with SEN.

They may get the first two right, but that's probably about it.

AnnieH
6th November 2009, 09:38 AM
We're getting Jetta and Bradshaw with our first two picks.

laughingnome
6th November 2009, 10:08 AM

Bradshaw is someone we'll pick up in the PSD, surely?

alison.z
6th November 2009, 10:44 AM
No wonder he does.

"PICK 6: Gary Rohan 18 Geelong Falcons, forward, 196cm 79kg

The Swans need to start rebuilding their spine. This kid will help. Needs time in the gym though."

WTF. Rohan is listed at 186cm IIRC.

Vesz and Meredith were both listed as key defenders when we picked them up so don't read too much into their listings ...

Bas
6th November 2009, 11:25 AM
Butcher is 196cm

Triple B
6th November 2009, 01:14 PM

Bradshaw is someone we'll pick up in the PSD, surely?

Perhaps Annie means Jetta will be our first pick in the National Draft, Bradshaw first pick in the pre-season draft.

hammo
6th November 2009, 01:29 PM
Perhaps Annie means Jetta will be our first pick in the National Draft, Bradshaw first pick in the pre-season draft.
We won't be taking Jetta with our first pick.

dimelb
6th November 2009, 02:23 PM
Interesting- that would be a time when it was right to say "two first picks"!

Primmy
6th November 2009, 02:45 PM
Question: Joe Dare from Geelong area (bushie). Our Kinnear Beetson has been in touch. Any thoughts about his possibility as a Swan? Or could he be too bushy to work in the big smoke? Thoughts?

BSA5
6th November 2009, 03:16 PM
It's the Hun. Means nothing. I reckon Talia is a greater chance of being there at 14 than Lucas.

They've taken Rohan to the Swans straight from BigFooty (doesn't make it wrong, but it's very likely it will be Cunnington or Rohan, and hardly breaking news).

Auntie.Gerald
6th November 2009, 04:10 PM
Gary Rohan........ I would be extremely happy with.......the guy is a live wire and it is hard to find a player like him with the blistering acceleration and he has the spur of the moment decision making !

Nico
6th November 2009, 07:24 PM
Question: Joe Dare from Geelong area (bushie). Our Kinnear Beetson has been in touch. Any thoughts about his possibility as a Swan? Or could he be too bushy to work in the big smoke? Thoughts?

The 4 Danihers didn't having any trouble adapting to city life. Footy's history is filled with stars from the bush. Right up until the draft was brought in each club had country zones and every year almost all clubs snagged a gem from the bush. It is VFL folklore that on the first day of pre season training fans would wait with baited breath for the naming of new stars from the bush.

Bas
6th November 2009, 09:46 PM
I'd say the first pick will be either Rohan or Cunnington, depending on which one norf pick.

Happy with either.

Pick 14 is anyone's guess. I can't see us going for another tall KP forward though.

Blood
7th November 2009, 03:21 AM
I don't agree with the assesment that talls are our priority.

Surely our first priority is a small midfielder with clean hands and good speed off the mark to help us at centre clearances/stoppages? That is where i thought we were getting smashed this season.

dimelb
7th November 2009, 11:10 AM
I don't agree with the assesment that talls are our priority.

Surely our first priority is a small midfielder with clean hands and good speed off the mark to help us at centre clearances/stoppages? That is where i thought we were getting smashed this season.
My preference too.

7th November 2009, 03:36 PM
What a joke :rolleyes: Shows how much Mark Stevens has actually studied the available talent if he thinks Rohan is a tall.

There are obviously a heap of better informed people on this forum than that Hun hack.

Doubt Lucas could last until pick 14 but Rohan & Lucas would be a dream to me. All I'd need then for this to be unbelievably exciting recruiting etc by us would be for Tadgh to return and Bradshaw to get to us in the PSD.

Notice that Tankers still need to delist another player to use either pick 50 in the ND or pick 1 in the PSD.

Similar to Freo who need another delist to use pick 52 ND or pick 2 PSD.

We obviously need to move vets off list or move Playfair to use pick 55 ND and get the Bradshaw PSD pick. If we did both the vets and Playfair to rookie list, then I wouldn't be surprised to see us use two picks in the PSD as there are now alot of useful players available and not many potential clubs involved in the PSD

COBHC
7th November 2009, 03:51 PM
Rohan the Barbarian is a Timbaboon orginal?

From Cobden.

COBHC
7th November 2009, 03:55 PM
What a joke :rolleyes: Shows how much Mark Stevens has actually studied the available talent if he thinks Rohan is a tall.

There are obviously a heap of better informed people on this forum than that Hun hack.

Doubt Lucas could last until pick 14 but Rohan & Lucas would be a dream to me. All I'd need then for this to be unbelievably exciting recruiting etc by us would be for Tadhg to return and Bradshaw to get to us in the PSD.

Notice that Tankers still need to delist another player to use either pick 50 in the ND or pick 1 in the PSD.

Similar to Freo who need another delist to use pick 52 ND or pick 2 PSD.

We obviously need to move vets off list or move Playfair to use pick 55 ND and get the Bradshaw PSD pick. If we did both the vets and Playfair to rookie list, then I wouldn't be surprised to see us use two picks in the PSD as there are now alot of useful players available and not many potential clubs involved in the PSD

Apparently Rohan has played Full-Back for the Cobden seniors and could develop into a tall key position player down the track once his body fills out.

Auntie.Gerald
7th November 2009, 04:31 PM
BTW - Kane Lucas did outstanding in all areas

10min 10sec for the 3km
14.4 beep test
2.86 sec for 20m

what do you guys think of Andrew Moore ?? he loves ROK and Goodes by the way........two fav players

Auntie.Gerald
7th November 2009, 09:21 PM
PS - Gary Rohan came 1st of 75 players at the Draft Camp in the new accuracy test called the "Buckley" something or other drill.

77% accuracy

very exciting young blood nut !

Reggi
8th November 2009, 07:36 AM
[http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rohan-gets-a-shot-at-the-big-time/story-e6frf9jf-1225795340074

I think Norff will go for him, but would love Gary Rohan, Rohan Gary

eggbeater
8th November 2009, 10:05 AM
Favourite sons rise in the west (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/favourite-sons-rise-in-the-west/story-e6frf9jf-1225795390238)

The chances are these two from the Cobden Football Club - where league luminaries such as Thorold Merrett, Alistair Lord and John Rantall once played - are in line for North Melbourne's No. 5 slot when the national draft takes place on November 26.

Whoever misses out could be headed interstate with Sydney next, followed by West Coast 7 and Port Adelaide 8 and 9.

Also from the same article

Rohan loves his football, too, but his pathway has been in stark contrast to Cunnington's trek through the representative under-age teams.

For a time, when he was about 14, Rohan failed to make the Cobden side. As a result, he gave up the game and played netball.

He won the best and fairest (he was the only male in the team), but it only served to rekindle his passion for football.

LOL!

Robbo
8th November 2009, 11:10 AM
In the paper in WA today there's an article stating that Freo are possibly going to resist the urge to take Morabito and take Rohan instead. Last year everyone thought they would take Rich but they ended up taking Hill so they do like to change their mind.

Bas
8th November 2009, 11:18 AM
In the paper in WA today there's an article stating that Freo are possibly going to resist the urge to take Morabito and take Rohan instead. Last year everyone thought they would take Rich but they ended up taking Hill so they do like to change their mind.

You would think they would have learnt from last year.

satchmopugdog
8th November 2009, 11:18 AM
Good ..that means Rohan now knows how to use a confined space and the angles involved in positioning and passing...an excellent grounding.

COBHC
8th November 2009, 11:23 AM
FREMANTLE has fired the opening salvo in a recruiting tug-of-war with West Coast to win the services of exciting Subiaco forward Trent Dennis-Lane.
And the Dockers could drop a bombshell at this month's national draft and overlook local Anthony Morabito.

Fremantle fires opening salvo in recruiting tug-of-war (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26319553-5005401,00.html)

satchmopugdog
8th November 2009, 11:28 AM
just when I had steeled myself to have a redhead.

Legs Akimbo
8th November 2009, 12:23 PM
FREMANTLE has fired the opening salvo in a recruiting tug-of-war with West Coast to win the services of exciting Subiaco forward Trent Dennis-Lane.
And the Dockers could drop a bombshell at this month's national draft and overlook local Anthony Morabito.

Fremantle fires opening salvo in recruiting tug-of-war (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26319553-5005401,00.html)

I guess the question is whether North would take Morabito ahead of Cunnington. Either way we are going to get a great player.

I just watched Mirabito highlights and he is a great mover.

Primmy
8th November 2009, 01:47 PM
just when I had steeled myself to have a redhead.

A redhead in our colour strip......possibly not the fashion statement of the century!

Bas
8th November 2009, 06:01 PM
I noticed on the Perth newspapers webpage, that you can get a free Kasey Chambers download. Great, it can give the midnight cat on the back fence a few days break. :D

If Fremantle does go for Rohan that means Norf will decide between Cunnington and Morabito. So we will pick up either one I guess.

I'd be happy with any of the three.

Pick 14 is the interesting one. I think Lucas will be gone by then from what is written in the media.

satchmopugdog
8th November 2009, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=Bas;465945]

If Fremantle does go for Rohan that means Norf will decide between Cunnington and Morabito. So we will pick up either one I guess.

I'd be happy with any of the three.

QUOTE]

In the words of the great Darryl K from "The Castle"....everyone's a winner

P.s. If we do pick up Rohan he can do extra training with the Swifts

robamiee
8th November 2009, 11:37 PM
be a big call for the shockers to do that.
Only a week ago there was an article saying that The dockers had to ppick Morabito and they would be mad not to..

I would personally prefer Morabito to Rohan...He is an outside midfielder ???