PDA

View Full Version : THings I love about Swans fans!

Lucky Knickers
30th August 2009, 02:25 AM
Massive kudos to the girls who, in a very LONNNNGGGGGG taxi queue at Fox tonight, let Sir Bobby Skilton and his party queue jump into a cab and lead a rendition of CHeer Cheer!
Thumbs up ladies - all class!
Outstanding tonight were the boys from the Lions. They patiently waited to honour Leo, Mick and Crouchy!
I'm backing you in for the finals.

Big Al
30th August 2009, 02:32 AM
Fully agree on the Lions. Not surprising really considering who their coach is who is a pretty classy bloke himself.

Jeffers1984
30th August 2009, 08:23 AM
Class effort from the Lions except for that Wanker Justin Sherman.

What a tosser with that shush celebration to the crowd.

Primmy
30th August 2009, 09:05 AM
I thought on the whole we were very well behaved.

And I thought the Brissie fans rose to the occasion by not making tossers of themselves and fading into the background even though they won.

Hilly
30th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Class effort from the Lions except for that Wanker Justin Sherman.

What a tosser with that shush celebration to the crowd.

I despise that bloke, he was always a flogger when he played footy in tassie and is still the same now he is playing with the Lions.

satchmopugdog
30th August 2009, 01:39 PM
I despise that bloke, he was always a flogger when he played footy in tassie and is still the same now he is playing with the Lions.

What do you expect from one of those southerners:D Rokeby no less

GoSouth33
30th August 2009, 11:12 PM
Still, it's nice to play a game and not have the spite of the Hawthorn Essendon game. Very unsavoury. Do we have that type of relationship with any other team?

liz
30th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Still, it's nice to play a game and not have the spite of the Hawthorn Essendon game. Very unsavoury. Do we have that type of relationship with any other team?

I don't think we have a spiteful relationship with any team. Even against the Eagles - our tightest rivals of recent years - everything has been very respectful.

Primmy
31st August 2009, 08:06 AM
I don't think we have a spiteful relationship with any team. Even against the Eagles - our tightest rivals of recent years - everything has been very respectful.

Come to think of it, no. Not since the Dogs clean out their kennel and the likes of Darcy, Grant, Johnson rose to prominence. Still remember Plugger standing over a downed dog and pointing at the scoreboard - winning over them was even truly heartwarming. Nothing like that now. Is it us or them?

Lucky Knickers
31st August 2009, 09:37 AM

The respect that the Swans team show others in the game goes a long way to setting the right example and tone too.

wearebloods
1st September 2009, 10:42 PM
The respect that the Swans team show others in the game goes a long way to setting the right example and tone too. Voss looks to be a devotee of this concept too :)

Lucky Knickers
2nd September 2009, 03:57 PM
Voss looks to be a devotee of this concept too :)
Interesting you should say that RTTF (welcome by the way). In my state of general love of the world and how beautiful everyone who follows red and white is when I started this thread on my return home on Saturday night, I also sent an email to the Blions saying how awesome I thought they were to hang about for so long and how classy I think Voss is...it was a "I roooollllyyy love yoooouuu" type email.
Anyway, Monday morning I got an email from the membership department AND later in the day one from the football department saying exactly what you said...that Vossy continually holds the Swans up as the example they aspire to in terms of the respect they are held in and the culture they have developed over the last 8 years.

AnnieH
2nd September 2009, 04:35 PM
No only does the alleged "no dickheads" policy work, it's now being implemented by other clubs.

Eddie, you should jump on the bandwagon.

BSA5
2nd September 2009, 07:40 PM
No only does the alleged "no dickheads" policy work, it's now being implemented by other clubs.

Eddie, you should jump on the bandwagon.

Eddie's a smart bloke, he'd never do that to himself.

GoSouth33
2nd September 2009, 11:18 PM
I think it would have been harder for them to hang around had they lost (winners being grinners) but I don't think their action was contrived. Being the northern cousins maybe we have something in common.
BTW, well done Lucky Knickers, I think it's good giving that type of feedback which no doubt they appreciated. You're only expressing what a lot of us felt.

hot potato
2nd September 2009, 11:43 PM
Interesting you should say that RTTF (welcome by the way). In my state of general love of the world and how beautiful everyone who follows red and white is when I started this thread on my return home on Saturday night, I also sent an email to the Blions saying how awesome I thought they were to hang about for so long and how classy I think Voss is...it was a "I roooollllyyy love yoooouuu" type email.
Anyway, Monday morning I got an email from the membership department AND later in the day one from the football department saying exactly what you said...that Vossy continually holds the Swans up as the example they aspire to in terms of the respect they are held in and the culture they have developed over the last 8 years.

Love your work LK, I used to dislike Voss and his sledging OTField, but now after that I think he's an OK guy. He looked like he was in love with his protege Daniel Rich.

HP

Go Swannies
3rd September 2009, 10:46 AM

Any chance you can post what they said?

I love the cameraderie amongst teams/players. So could never follow soccer. Even the Hawks-Bombers R22 game ended with Lloyd and Sewell chatting in a very civilised fashion at the end of the game them doing the whole man-love bum pats as they parted. Then idiot coach and "hard man" Campbell ruined it to make up for their own short coming.

I remember us beating the Lions in a R22 (?) game at the Gabba in their prime and taking ages to get out as so many Lions fans wanted to discuss the Swans good prospects for the next years - and they turned out to be right. Very warming.

There's no doubting Voss was hard on and off the field (love the story of him as captain punching the young player who'd smoked dope) but think he has much in common with Roos/Kirk in keeping a testosterone-laden situation on an even keel so we'll never see Swans (or Lions?) players going the knuckle because it may help them win - or disgracing themselves off the field.

Lucky Knickers
3rd September 2009, 08:41 PM
Here's a quote

We are certainly very proud of the boys up here in Brisbane and can I say just how much we respect the Bloods culture also maintained by the Swans. Vossy always speaks with great reverence about the courage and determination of the Swans and how you've maintained such a brilliant record over us since 2002!

I'd be in love with Rich if I was his coach. He is going to be a legend of his generation of players I think. Just so poised and smart with the ball.

Nico
3rd September 2009, 10:08 PM
The respect that the Swans team show others in the game goes a long way to setting the right example and tone too.

A direct result of the leadership talents of Roos and Kirk.

Take BBBH out of the stats and we have to be close to the least reported club in a decade.

Lucky Knickers
4th September 2009, 09:13 AM
.....so we'll never see Swans (or Lions?) players going the knuckle because it may help them win - or disgracing themselves off the field.
Not now Lynch has retired!

Go Swannies
4th September 2009, 10:27 AM
Not now Lynch has retired!

And Baz.

ShockOfHair
4th September 2009, 12:47 PM
Love your work LK, I used to dislike Voss and his sledging OTField, but now after that I think he's an OK guy. He looked like he was in love with his protege Daniel Rich.

HP

AGree, Vossy was annoyingly lippy on the field, though always a great, Brett-Kirk-with-skills kind of player. He's a breath of fresh air as coach.

I like his sledge on his brother, kicking for goal: "My dad has slept with your mum!" [Maybe not those exact words.]

dimelb
4th September 2009, 12:53 PM
Here's a quote

I'd be in love with Rich if I was his coach. He is going to be a legend of his generation of players I think. Just so poised and smart with the ball.
Nice work LK.

Primmy
4th September 2009, 01:43 PM
AGree, Vossy was annoyingly lippy on the field, though always a great, Brett-Kirk-with-skills kind of player. He's a breath of fresh air as coach.

I like his sledge on his brother, kicking for goal: "My dad has slept with your mum!" [Maybe not those exact words.]

One of the best sledges of all time. It worked too. He missed. :D

Margie
4th September 2009, 03:44 PM
A direct result of the leadership talents of Roos and Kirk.

Take BBBH out of the stats and we have to be close to the least reported club in a decade.

We're on the same page today, Nico.

Roos and Kirk have earned plenty of kudos for their leadership skills.

Michael Voss is another one who seems to have this gift.

cruiser
4th September 2009, 08:50 PM
Nice article about being a Swans supporter by journo Cynthia Banham (I think she may have been in the Garuda plane crash): http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/in-life-as-in-footy-hardships-disappointments-and-training-are-worth-it-20090903-f9ud.html?page=2