PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Grand Final - Sydney v West Coast

j s
19th September 2009, 12:57 PM
ONE is showing this game at 4:30pm on Wednesday - just in case there's anyone out there who doesn't already have a copy.

The 2006 GF will be shown the following day (Thursday) also at 4:30pm

The Ecstacy and the Agony

pinkemu
19th September 2009, 01:43 PM
I have never watched the 06GF on the telly. Maybe it's time.
I might just watch the second half.

Primmy
19th September 2009, 09:58 PM
I have never watched the 06GF on the telly. Maybe it's time.
I might just watch the second half.

Me too. Perhaps...

ugg
20th September 2009, 07:35 PM
02gf on now. Davo waving his arms in an unfamiliar black and white jumper

Xie Shan
20th September 2009, 08:25 PM
02gf on now. Davo waving his arms in an unfamiliar black and white jumper

Hehe... had his leads ignored even back then. The MCG looked strange. Ironic hearing Christi Malthouse asking Michael Voss to describe the emotion after the game while her dad is inconsolable in the coaches' box! I'd forgotten how good a game that actually was, Brisbane didn't play that well but knew how to win.

Primmy
21st September 2009, 07:04 AM
Some reason I had forgotten how important Mal Michael was to Brisbane, and Akker. that was a great game.

magic.merkin
22nd September 2009, 12:31 PM
*PATS 05 Finals series dvd pack*

Bazman
23rd September 2009, 10:04 AM
I think its time to bit the bullit and watch the 06, i've put it off for too long.:frown

cruiser
23rd September 2009, 06:35 PM
I think its time to bit the bullit and watch the 06, i've put it off for too long.:frown The second half is great football other than that we couldnt score just 2 more fracking points!!

ep2006
23rd September 2009, 07:09 PM
It hurts watching 2005, and I thought it wouldnt after winning 06. :(

satchmopugdog
23rd September 2009, 08:11 PM
It hurts watching 2005, and I thought it wouldnt after winning 06. :(

The same 2 games and 2 different reactions

The only bit of the 2006 game I can watchis Kirks mark inthe last quarter wherehe just holds off someone(Kerr??) with one hand and you can almost hear him saying..."Get out of my way I have a game to win"..oh well nearly.

cruiser
23rd September 2009, 08:42 PM
Add to your pain and watch Fox Sports 1 now - Classic Grand Finals: 1996. Watch a young fresh faced lad named Michael O'Loughlin, see Paul Roos as a player, recoil in horror at Stewie Maxfield's hair, be amazed by Derek Kicketts gut and hate Wayne Carey all over again.

Jeffers1984
23rd September 2009, 09:00 PM
Add to your pain and watch Fox Sports 1 now - Classic Grand Finals: 1996. Watch a young fresh faced lad named Michael O'Loughlin, see Paul Roos as a player, recoil in horror at Stewie Maxfield's hair, be amazed by Derek Kicketts gut and hate Wayne Carey all over again.Its an enjoyable game up until "that pass"

After that i turn it off.

Lucky Knickers
23rd September 2009, 09:17 PM
I cannot get past David King taking out Craig O'Brien without throwing a massive tantrum. I have a self-imposed ban on watching 1996.
The tension of that last quarter was too much in 2006. I was so upset. Don't think I can watch it.

Cardinal
23rd September 2009, 09:41 PM
Geez the umpies really did us over with a couple of decisions at crucial points at the start of the 3rf quarter in 96 - where's that thread on umpies

top40
24th September 2009, 10:39 AM
Trivia question.

South Melbourne/Sydney have competed in 9 Grand Finals since World War 1. Out of those 9 games, what was the Grand Final to which the Swans scored the least points?

Hartijon
24th September 2009, 11:48 AM
I cannot get past David King taking out Craig O'Brien without throwing a massive tantrum. I have a self-imposed ban on watching 1996.
The tension of that last quarter was too much in 2006. I was so upset. Don't think I can watch it.

Me Too!

It was possibly the most callous umpire neglect and denial of protection of a player going for the ball i have ever seen.To happen in a GF is unbelievable. The pass was a "hospital "pass..shocking foot skills by our greatest player ever,non the less the umpires must protect the head of players going for the ball . Craig O'brien,concussed or not would have put the free kick straight through for a goal and we would have got the momentum.

BSA5
24th September 2009, 11:55 AM
Trivia question.

South Melbourne/Sydney have competed in 9 Grand Finals since World War 1. Out of those 9 games, what was the Grand Final to which the Swans scored the least points?

2005? Wouldn't surprise me.

top40
24th September 2009, 12:44 PM
2005? Wouldn't surprise me.

Correct. The greatest and sweetest Swans flag victory in 2005 represents the club's equal lowest score in 9 Grand Finals since 1918. On one other occasion, the losing 1935 team also scored 58 points, equal to the joyous 2005 winning team's final score.

ugg
24th September 2009, 05:10 PM
The 2006 GF replay tonight segueways nicely into Thursday Night Live where Paul Roos will be a special guest. I'm sure the panel will be interested to see what he was up to in Ireland!

Primmy
24th September 2009, 08:16 PM
I just tried to watch the last fifteen minutes of the 2006 Granny. I have learned something about myself. I can't do it. Even now.

Jewels
24th September 2009, 09:36 PM
I just tried to watch the last fifteen minutes of the 2006 Granny. I have learned something about myself. I can't do it. Even now.

I'm very proud of myself - I managed to watch it all from go to woe!
The worst part is all the "if onlys".
And it reminded me how much I miss Nick Davis....

liz
24th September 2009, 09:44 PM
I can't bring myself to rewatch the error riddled first half of 2006 - it's possibly the worst half of footy the team played all season. But I can - and have - watched the second half up to around the point where Ted falls over out of sheer exhaustion. At that point I generally have to stop believing I am watching the alternative director's cut, the one with a different ending.

Xie Shan
25th September 2009, 12:26 AM
It sounds strange, but I'm still fascinated by the last quarter of '06. I've watched it a couple of times and the parallels with '05 are freakish, down to the string of stalemates at the stoppages on the wing -- only the second time around it was the Eagles in lock-down mode and Doyle rucking against Cox -- even the last-ditch, desperate raid forward by the team that needed to score.

But I'm like Liz, I have no desire to watch the first half of that game. I only saw it the once -- live -- and it was, inexplicably, some of the worst footy we'd played in the preceding two seasons. I guess you appreciate just how hard it is to climb the mountain twice, even Geelong had an absolute shocker on GF day last year and they'd only lost one game for the season. The spirit of our blokes to pull themselves back when all looked lost... it's still a credit to them, IMO. But for mine, Brisbane's efforts at the beginning of the decade stand head and shoulders above the achievements of any team in the modern era.

JF_Bay22_SCG
25th September 2009, 02:08 AM

I just have the "Hey Eagles, Hey Eagles, we're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh" etched in my brain from that day. Every time I hear the start of that song it fills me with a sick feeling of "Oh, not THAT again!"

I have not watched 2006 again. Would only get too depressed thinking about the utter rubbish we put up in the 1st half. And that Barry Hall miss.

How close was our "average team" to winning 2 flags in a row? You wonder if the players ever ask themselves that same question.:frown

JF

Wardy
25th September 2009, 08:10 AM
I faced a demon yesterday and watched 2006 on One HD the first time since that very same day. To be honest, and lets not get blinkered here, we were damned lucky that it was that close in the end. The Eagles missed a stack of getable goals too.

I forgot about how many damned good tackles our boys laid and the fourth quarter was fantastic. Still, our habit of playing catchup came back to bite us on the bum. An number of players were having a shocker thats for sure. It seemed that the boys would do something fantastic, then back it up with a clanger - no one was immune for the first 2 and a half quarters. then the plan clicked into place, but it fell ever so short.

Of course Quartermain was having orgasms over Judd (I reckon if he farted the commentators would go into raptures!). I forgot about the bobsy twins and their matching haircuts (Hunter & Cousins) and Kerr looked like he was highly strung rabbit about to pop a valve.
I still dont understand why the crowd would go nuts when Lynch (who is really a very unattractive man) would take a glove off - I mean it is only a freakin glove!!!

Some of the umpiring decisions were questionable - but that happens every game, but in all - great game, lousy result. had great seats and shared the sorrow with good friends on the day. Dont need to see it ever again.