PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for Granny Tickets

AnnieH
21st September 2009, 02:54 PM
In a way ... I'm happy I don't have to go through the stress!!

AFL fans battle for grand final tickets (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/afl-fans-battle-for-grand-final-tickets-20090921-fxuq.html)

j s
21st September 2009, 04:21 PM
In a way ... I'm happy I don't have to go through the stress!!

AFL fans battle for grand final tickets (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/afl-fans-battle-for-grand-final-tickets-20090921-fxuq.html)
Des would like one - more specifically Jay would like one.

Wardy
21st September 2009, 04:38 PM
My Geelong loving client got his 3 tickets that he went in the ballot for - he has been incredibly lucky to get them 3 years in a row. Yet there are many members that still missed out

You would think now that something has got to give - we all know that the corporate dollar is king with the AFL and members of the actual competing clubs come a very poor last in the pecking order, but its time for the AFL to have a good hard look at things - to only allocate 25,000 to the clubs is appalling.

Are they still stinging everyone with the $5 admin fee for registering - even though you may miss out altogether?

AnnieH
21st September 2009, 04:41 PM
My Geelong loving client got his 3 tickets that he went in the ballot for - he has been incredibly lucky to get them 3 years in a row. Yet there are many members that still missed out

You would think now that something has got to give - we all know that the corporate dollar is king with the AFL and members of the actual competing clubs come a very poor last in the pecking order, but its time for the AFL to have a good hard look at things - to only allocate 25,000 to the clubs is appalling.

Are they still stinging everyone with the $5 admin fee for registering - even though you may miss out altogether?

I think our system is fairest. Pay a premium to guarantee yourself a ticket if you want one.

I'd die if we had a ballot for tickets.

Cher
21st September 2009, 05:00 PM
The sad thing is the people who have missed out three years in a row, where others have got tickets three years in a row.

I can hear loudspeakers, I wonder what is going on over at K Park, I know that they had public training at about 11am. Ticket pick up was after 12 but its now 4pm.

Helicopters annoy me but I guess I have to put up with them all week.

laughingnome
21st September 2009, 05:05 PM
I think our system is fairest. Pay a premium to guarantee yourself a ticket if you want one.

I'd die if we had a ballot for tickets.

It is fairer, but what happens when more then 12,500 members want a guaranteed seat? (25,000 between two clubs)

AnnieH
21st September 2009, 05:07 PM
It is fairer, but what happens when more then 12,500 members want a guaranteed seat? (25,000 between two clubs)

This is where the smart club comes in ... they only sell 2,500 "guarantee" packages. The rest go to the little punters.

Cher
21st September 2009, 07:21 PM
Geelong have a premium membership (Social club I think) where there is a guaranteed Grand Final ticket.
According to Des's MIL there is a waiting list for that membership and another waiting list to get on the waiting list.
No idea how many members there are who have this membership.

hot potato
22nd September 2009, 12:31 AM
25,000 tickets for members of the competing teams is an absolute disgrace, the supporters help fund the game, we will always be grateful we got tickets in 1996, 2005 (especially grateful) and 2006. It's an awesome day.

HP

goswannie14
22nd September 2009, 08:23 AM
Heard on the radio the other day, think it was Coster from Geelong, that originally Waverley was planned to seat 147,000. Had that happened these problems would have been solved.

AnnieH
22nd September 2009, 10:40 AM
Heard on the radio the other day, think it was Coster from Geelong, that originally Waverley was planned to seat 147,000. Had that happened these problems would have been solved.

No they wouldn't have.
The AFL would find a way to give more tickets to corporates who have no interest in the game, team or results.
:(

Norris Lurker
22nd September 2009, 10:47 AM
That was the original plan.
A 147,000 stadium would give a capacity nearly double the MCG, which holds 76,000 plus MCC members (who are freeloaders, the AFL gets nothing for them and they may as well not be counted).
Unfortunately the MCC (the born-to-rule bunyip aristocracy), scuttled that and the chance is gone forever.

j s
22nd September 2009, 02:42 PM
That was the original plan.
A 147,000 stadium would give a capacity nearly double the MCG, which holds 76,000 plus MCC members (who are freeloaders, the AFL gets nothing for them and they may as well not be counted).
Unfortunately the MCC (the born-to-rule bunyip aristocracy), scuttled that and the chance is gone forever.
A 147,000 seat stadium would have been terrible - the bigger the stadium the worse the viewing - of necessity they get flatter and wider resulting in almost everyone being a lot further from the action. Compare Docklands with the MCG, Homebush (especially L6) with the SCG. Everone raves about the Gabba - a small stadium.

Jewels
22nd September 2009, 04:37 PM
A 147,000 seat stadium would have been terrible - the bigger the stadium the worse the viewing - of necessity they get flatter and wider resulting in almost everyone being a lot further from the action. Compare Docklands with the MCG, Homebush (especially L6) with the SCG. Everone raves about the Gabba - a small stadium.

I agree and disagree. In 05, we were three rows from the top in the Great Southern Stand, view was crap and the players were like ants. In 06, we were five rows from the front, view was fantastic. The thing is, the atmosphere and the thrill of actually being there was the same.
So whilst I agree with your point about the view, there is nothing on earth like being there and I would sit atop Sydney Tower if it meant "being there" and I think most fans, particularly the ones that have missed out on tickets, would agree.

goswannie14
22nd September 2009, 05:23 PM
I agree and disagree. In 05, we were three rows from the top in the Great Southern Stand, view was crap and the players were like ants. In 06, we were five rows from the front, view was fantastic.That's subjective Jewels. When I was a teenager I loved sitting near the fence. Now I hate it, it's such a crap view of what is happening in the game. I was in the back row of the Southern Stand in 05. It was the best view in the ground IMO, because you could see what plays/players were available down field. I much prefer that view to seeing 36 players running behind/in front of each other from a seat near the fence.

Lucky Knickers
22nd September 2009, 06:02 PM
That's subjective Jewels. When I was a teenager I loved sitting near the fence. Now I hate it, it's such a crap view of what is happening in the game. I was in the back row of the Southern Stand in 05. It was the best view in the ground IMO, because you could see what plays/players were available down field. I much prefer that view to seeing 36 players running behind/in front of each other from a seat near the fence.

I think Jewels point is specific to the grand final. I'd take anything I could get to be there on the day. If we are talking about my home and away seats, well I like the opposite to you actually but agree - you want to choose where you are going to enjoy your footy best. I used to sit in the Brewongle but moved down to ground level as I love the experience of being close. We are lucky we support a club where you have a choice right now. I know Eagles fans who would sit in the toilet if they could get a season ticket.

The allocation is definitely inequitable. The AFL should try to allocated at least a 50/50 split between competing clubs' members and the sponsors/corporate sector.

From memory I seem to recall about the same number of tix being allocated to clubs (25K???) over the last couple of years so at least they aren't carving that out - unless i am wrong.