PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Baz

Go Swannies
6th October 2009, 10:50 AM
Barry Hall joins Western Bulldogs

Barry Hall joins Western Bulldogs - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/10/06/1254701006272.html)

Obviously it was going to happen but it's still sad that it's final. I can only thank both Baz and the club for the remarkably dignified chance to say a proper goodbye at the Club Champion dinner. And good on the club for finding a way for him to do what he most wanted to do - keep playing as a Doggy.

It won't seem right seeing him in different colours but this is a rare time when I wish the ex-player and his new club every success.

Bye Baz, you will be missed. We had to move on, and so did you but it's still painful, like the final death of a doomed marriage. BTW I hope B2 denies you a touch when we play the Doggies next year.

Plugger46
6th October 2009, 10:53 AM
Going to hurt like hell seeing him in a 'Dogs jumper for the next two years. Hope he sticks it up the critics though.

reigning premier
6th October 2009, 11:00 AM
Thought we could of done better than a late third rounder TBH. Should of held out for more. It's only early in trade week afterall. Unless it's all part of some bigger picture, it's pretty poor IMO.

Good result for BBBH though. Glad to see him get a chance to continue.

magic.merkin
6th October 2009, 11:05 AM
hope he tears it up and gets a flag!

Blood
6th October 2009, 11:24 AM
Thought we could of done better than a late third rounder TBH. Should of held out for more. It's only early in trade week afterall. Unless it's all part of some bigger picture, it's pretty poor IMO.

Disagree...we were already resigned to the fact that we were losing him for zilch, so i think a 3rd round pick is OK. Not brilliant, but OK.

And yes, all the best Baz!!

blinddog
6th October 2009, 11:29 AM
Well West Bulldogs were pushing for a 4th rd pick and in the press yesterday it was said that Sydney felt they could do something with a third round pick

Jeffers1984
6th October 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the memories Bazza.
You were absolutely phenomenal at your peak and really drove home the Bloods culture in those years.

Best of luck at the Dogs and i hope you get that premiership with them (if we can't get there).

DST
6th October 2009, 11:38 AM

Good result for BBBH though. Glad to see him get a chance to continue.

How, he was uincontracted and could have walked to the Dogs if a deal was not done.

We went into draft week with the intention of a third rounder and got it.

That is not a poor trade, it's making the best of a bad situation.

DST
:D

reigning premier
6th October 2009, 11:42 AM
Second rounder would of been a good deal.

That or Everitt... :D

Can't we get him on the Uncle/Nephew/Cousin rule??

DST
6th October 2009, 11:46 AM

Everitt is worth a top 15 pick on his own, he would never have been in the Hall deal unless we were willing to throw our first pick with Hall and demanded Everitt and the Dogs second pick.

Even then I would have probably not touched that deal as Everitt is a first rounder on potential only and the risk was too high.

DST

reigning premier
6th October 2009, 11:54 AM
Everitt is worth a top 15 pick on his own, he would never have been in the Hall deal unless we were willing to throw our first pick with Hall and demanded Everitt and the Dogs second pick.

Even then I would have probably not touched that deal as Everitt is a first rounder on potential only and the risk was too high.

DST

Sounds fair to me....

dimelb
6th October 2009, 12:50 PM
Best of luck at the new club Baz.
And well done the Swans - kept faith with him and got a reasonable compromise.

hammo
6th October 2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds fair to me....
I'm glad you're not negotiating trades for the club.

Yuri H
6th October 2009, 02:03 PM
Obviously it was going to happen but it's still sad that it's final. I can only thank both Baz and the club for the remarkably dignified chance to say a proper goodbye at the Club Champion dinner. And good on the club for finding a way for him to do what he most wanted to do - keep playing as a Doggy.

It won't seem right seeing him in different colours but this is a rare time when I wish the ex-player and his new club every success.

Bye Baz, you will be missed. We had to move on, and so did you but it's still painful, like the final death of a doomed marriage. BTW I hope B2 denies you a touch when we play the Doggies next year.

You said it better than I could. When I discovered Aussie Rules & the Swans (in 2005, fortuitously) my first reaction at seeing clips on the web was, "who is this guy?" and watching him play as opponents looked on him with fear was great. As a footie newbie he was my first Great, my first Favourite. The ending was sad, but he'll always be a big part of The Swans to me.

I hope he has a fantastic finish to his footy career (excepting helping in any defeats of the Swans, of course).

ShockOfHair
6th October 2009, 02:56 PM
How, he was uincontracted and could have walked to the Dogs if a deal was not done.

We went into draft week with the intention of a third rounder and got it.

That is not a poor trade, it's making the best of a bad situation.

DST

AGree with that DST, but does this mean we actually give a pick back to the Dogs???

As part of the deal, Sydney will recieve pick no.47 in the national draft from the Bulldogs, whilst the Swans will deliver a later round draft pick, which will be finalised later in trade week.

SwansFan1972
6th October 2009, 03:40 PM
AGree with that DST, but does this mean we actually give a pick back to the Dogs???

Yes - a later round pick which Roos had already trashed as pretty worthless anyway - nothing to sweat there.

Hally has offered up a few interesting quotes in the media conference with Eade:

Hall says on-field demons are behind him - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85783/default.aspx)

The main things to come out of it are:

1) why are the demons gone now - what happened in the off season to cast them out?

2) if they are gone, why can't he give a guarantee that he won't belt someone again (seems those aforementioned demons might not rest too quietly!)

3) the comments about the bulldogs "style of play" offering fewer opportunities for him to get frustrated are pretty offensive to his former team mates. It was obviously everyone else's fault after all! Sure, sometimes our mids slaughtered him - but that happens to every forward.

Been said before a million times, but it is all a bit sad really. Good luck to him and the doggies. For him, I hope he can keep his hands to himself, but that would also suck a bit too! With just a bit of self control in Sydney he'd still be here.

Rod_
6th October 2009, 04:24 PM
Barry Who - ohhh thats right - he was the bloke that was next to Roosy when he said here it is in 2005....

Bugger I guess I have to change my Avitar...

By Barry

Cheers

Rod

PS thanks.

BSA5
6th October 2009, 07:07 PM

Andrejs is Peter's brother, believe it or not. Pretty sure Peter is the eldest of the family, Andrejs the youngest.

BeeEmmAre
6th October 2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks Bazza for all the memories. As with all our premiership heroes, you are and will always be a Swan in my eyes.
Best of luck with the Bulldogs, and if we can't win the flag next year, I certainly hope you can do for them what you helped do for us four years ago.

Shock, they said we'll swap a late round pick with the Dogs - so we'll give them 54 for 63, or 70 for 79 etc.

And we've just given 47 to Brisbane for 39 - so it's effectively Bazza for 39 and almost cancels out the six pick drop we took in the 20s yesterday.
We now currently have 6, 28, 38, 39, 54, 70, 86......

Triple B
6th October 2009, 07:14 PM
Bugger I guess I have to change my Avitar...

So is your new avatar for Jolly, or where he may end up??

Xie Shan
6th October 2009, 07:41 PM
The way I see it, there's 'good Baz' and 'bad Baz'. 'Good Baz' is the gun full-forward who gave away a Coleman and unselfishly sacrificed his own game for the team's cause, scaring the hell out of opposition defenders in the process. I'm going to miss that Baz, and hope we see him again at the Bulldogs. A fantastic player and we wouldn't have won a flag without him.

On the other hand, there's 'Bad Baz'. Moody, petulant and ill-tempered, often blowing hot and cold, I'm sure I don't need to describe this Baz in more detail (and neither would he, I'm sure), who we've unfortunately seen more often than not since 2007.

Best of luck to him, I'm a little surprised they gave him a 2-year deal but I hope he goes well! He's probably the only one who truly knows if his on-field "demons" are behind him, maybe like all good things his relationship with the Swans coming to the end was for the best. (And yes, I read the quote about the Bulldogs' "environment" providing him with less reason to be frustrated too -- I'll leave it up to others to speculate as to what that means :p )

That said, I hope he is soundly beaten by Craig Bolton if they match up against each other next year :D

DST
6th October 2009, 07:51 PM
And we've just given 47 to Brisbane for 39 - so it's effectively Bazza for 39 and almost cancels out the six pick drop we took in the 20s yesterday.
We now currently have 6, 28, 38, 39, 54, 70, 86......

Interesting, that is why the three way Seaby deal and picks took a while to be completed as it was involving what we got for Hall to finalise a higher third round for us from Brisbane (a little sting in the tail for Lions supporters).

So if we off load Jolly for 14 + player we would end up with 6, 14, 28, 38, 39, 54, 70, 86 etc.

Look for us to use 38 or 39 (or both) for Kennedy and or another ruckman and that should be it.

That will give us possibly Seaby, Kennedy, a fringe Collingwood player and another ruckman along with 3 picks in the top 30.

Not a bad weeks work in turning the list over and getting three quality kids.

DST

Midfield
6th October 2009, 11:12 PM
Good luck Baz. It will be sad to see you in the red, white and blue against us, but at least we'll win the frees for count.

CJK
7th October 2009, 07:27 AM
My favorite player.

I?ll miss calling out ?Barry Hall? in the style of ?Denny Crane? as he gets his hands on the ball.

Bye Barry. Thanks for the memories, and there were plenty with the good far outweighing the bad.

/ plays ?The Last Post? on bugle

Primmy
7th October 2009, 09:34 AM
I miss the silly bugger. He is a great bloke, great player, with one too many problems that made him a time bomb. I hope and pray that the "no, we just can't do this again" situation and aftermath have created a final barrier against the red mist of explosion that he allowed to overtake him.

Good luck my huggy man, hope you do well.