PDA

View Full Version : Who's our oldest?

goswannies
11th November 2009, 02:18 PM
With the recent passing of former Fitzroy and Carlton player, Clen Denning, (formerly the oldest living AFL player:
Death at 98 of the oldest living VFL/AFL player - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86791/default.aspx)
It got me wondering, who has taken the mantle of the oldest living AFL/VFL player now (from any club) and who is the oldest living Swan?

For us, given that Denning was 98 when he passed away, and our youngest debutant is Noel Rohleder (at 16, for one career game!) I figure our oldest living player cannot have made his debut before 1927, and cannot have been born before 1910.

Reg Harley (b 1925 was definately alive a few years ago and Jack Eichorn (b 1925 was alive last year - and hopefully still is :) ). Billy Williams certainly looked good a little while ago on TV. And Col Chrchett (b 1926) is happily still with us.

Any idea who our oldest living Swan might be?

Primmy
11th November 2009, 03:09 PM
Brett Kirk?:D
Paul Roos?
but seriously
don't know.

Vonsteinman
11th November 2009, 03:42 PM
Can't answer that one, but I'm fairly certain Fred Goldsmith is our oldest living Brownlow Medallist.

Aside from his Brownlow, Swans Team of the Century and other accolades, he is a tremendous bloke who I used to chat to having a couple of quiet ones at a local in Yarraville.

There's probably no better an experience for a footy fan than to listen to one of his club's legends talk about what it was like in the 'old days'...

Nthblood
11th November 2009, 04:03 PM
Can't answer that one, but I'm fairly certain Fred Goldsmith is our oldest living Brownlow Medallist.

Aside from his Brownlow, Swans Team of the Century and other accolades, he is a tremendous bloke who I used to chat to having a couple of quiet ones at a local in Yarraville.

There's probably no better an experience for a footy fan than to listen to one of his club's legends talk about what it was like in the 'old days'...

Oh how I envy you.

Lofty
12th November 2009, 08:10 PM
A good question to ask I was thinking about that too whose the oldest living swan and whose the oldest living afl player