PDA

View Full Version : Swans may gamble on Saddo

SWANSBEST
17th September 2003, 06:34 AM
One intresting point in this article is that ROK is out. I had read earlier in the week that he was ready to play. Anyone know the real position?

Swans may gamble on Saddington
17 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL HORAN

SYDNEY will seriously consider bringing back underdone defender Jason Saddington for Saturday's preliminary final against reigning premier the Brisbane Lions.

Saddington missed more than a month after straining a medial ligament in a collision with teammate Leo Barry, ironically in the Swans' Round 20 clash against the Lions.

But with defender Brad Seymour already ruled out, the Swans are desperate to get adequate marking power and experience to deal with the likes of Alastair Lynch and Jonathan Brown.

"He has to be under consideration," coach Paul Roos said yesterday.

Saddington will need to respond to whatever is thrown at him at training tomorrow in order for Roos and the match committee to take a punt on him.

"I feel I'm fairly ready," the 23-year-old said yesterday.

"What they've asked me to do so far, I've done. I'm confident the knee will hold up.

"It's down to the coach and whether he feels my fitness will be all right. There are still a couple of sessions to get through but I'm confident it'll be OK. I'd be a bit disappointed if I didn't get in but it's not my decision."

The strong-marking backman has played 131 games -- including four finals -- since his debut in 1998 and would lend valuable experience to a side that already has lost Seymour, Michael O'Loughlin and midfielder Ryan O'Keefe.

Roos knows the intensity of finals is a tough ticket for anyone who hasn't played for several weeks but hinted it was a risk he might take.

"It's a bit of dilemma because he hasn't played for four weeks," Roos said.

"You know if you do pick him you're not going to get a full game out of him. That's where the balancing act comes in.

"Over the last month we've probably had a couple of guys on the bench each week -- Doyle and Seymour were two we knew couldn't play (the whole game). You can get away with one or two, but you wouldn't want any more."

Roos baulked at the suggestion opposition coach Leigh Matthews was playing mind games after suggesting only bad kicking cost the Lions victory when they went down to the Swans by 14 points at the Gabba a month ago.

"I can't get into Leigh's mind but it's the first thing you think of when you've had more scoring shots and the obvious thing to say," Roos said.

"I don't take it as a slight against us. We've played them twice this year and they were both really close games.

"There's been a lot said about us winning two but I'm sure he's got a lot of confidence in his team being able to come down here and win."

Roos admitted that had his men not effected their miraculous win over Port Adelaide in the qualifying final, the season would be over for them now.

"We needed the weekend off," he said. "It's not going to guarantee us victory the next week but if we had to play last weekend I don't think we could have won."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,7290550%255E20322,00.html

Ajn
17th September 2003, 11:46 AM
Ryan will play, as will Saddo
Micky will rest as a precaution as his fitness level is sufficient and he won't require the gallop.
Saddo will be played to see if he can get fitness for the GF, probably only a half, and he won't get the Brown/Lynch match up as Schuable and Bolton have those already.

Shows how little this Journo knows, so don't worry about O'Keefe

barry
17th September 2003, 12:37 PM
Playing Saddo, and resting Mickey, is what sets Roos apart from Eade, and also the next generation of Swans managament apart from the old.

We are now looking at maximizing our chances of a flag, not just trying to get as far as possible.
To field our best team in the grand final, mickey needs another week to revover, and Saddington needs a game under his belt.

jixygirl
17th September 2003, 01:56 PM
Micky will definitely be fine for the Grand Final (please Swans, please God). Better safe than sorry. I've never heard that ROK wouldn't play.

sharp9
17th September 2003, 03:58 PM
She obviously doesn't bother to read the websites and just assumend that a player injured for a final is out for the season.

motorace_182
17th September 2003, 04:07 PM
I saw ROK on TV the other day training at full pace, he will play. Saddo will probably get put in the g-square rotating with Doyle to drag a tall away from Bazz