PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell a a star in the making!

troyjones2525
8th December 2009, 07:54 PM
Looks like we'll be adding another young gun midfielder to the team next year! :)

Mitchell a star in the making - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/87949/default.aspx)

DeadlyAkkuret
8th December 2009, 08:34 PM
So exciting! I can already see the uproar on BF if we acquired his services through the FS rule.

:D

hammo
8th December 2009, 08:40 PM
Next year or two years time? The article says he's only 16 and in year 10.

Oh well, not too much pressure on the kid!

liz
8th December 2009, 08:55 PM
Good to see the club being proactive about getting him interested in playing for the Swans, rather than just waiting for 22 months and then asking him if he'd like to be nominated as a FS selection.

dimelb
8th December 2009, 10:00 PM
"Tom, who is staying with coach Paul Roos and his family, said it was a great experience."
That's what I call taking it seriously.

DeadlyAkkuret
8th December 2009, 10:05 PM
Exactly what I thought, was surprised to read that.

Steve
8th December 2009, 10:08 PM
Probably means we won't get him cheap though due to the bidding system.

2011 draft would be OK though given even if it was our first pick that was needed, that year will be No.80 or so after all the GWS concessions anyway.

Bloody Hell
9th December 2009, 01:19 AM
Probably means we won't get him cheap though due to the bidding system.

2011 draft would be OK though given even if it was our first pick that was needed, that year will be No.80 or so after all the GWS concessions anyway.

If you knew that was going to happen on a particular year could you trade your top picks for players - leaving your first pick at 40?

liz
9th December 2009, 01:30 AM
If you knew that was going to happen on a particular year could you trade your top picks for players - leaving your first pick at 40?

No. The bidding process for FS selections occurs at the start of trade week. If a bid is made by another club and the club with the FS entitlement chooses to match it, the pick needed to secure that player then cannot be traded.

Primmy
9th December 2009, 07:17 AM
Barry Mitchell has been known to turn up at big events for the Swans, he hasn't really left our mob.

"Tom, who is staying with coach Paul Roos and his family, said it was a great experience."

Well, its a nice house, he has a couple of similarly aged boys to hang out with, I imagine a magic amount of teenage boys toys available, and on top of that he gets to puddle around with the redandwhite boys. What's not to like!! Wonder if they sell tickets for this kind of holiday. I wouldn't mind signing up.

CJK
9th December 2009, 10:34 AM
Well, its a nice house, he has a couple of similarly aged boys to hang out with, I imagine a magic amount of teenage boys toys available, and on top of that he gets to puddle around with the redandwhite boys. What's not to like!! Wonder if they sell tickets for this kind of holiday. I wouldn't mind signing up.

Scary! ;)

BeeEmmAre
9th December 2009, 12:43 PM
I saw him play several games at the U16 National Championships at Blacktown in July. He averaged 35-40 possessions and it was all quality. Again, I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on him, but on that evidence, the kid can play. A lot.

9th December 2009, 01:07 PM
The Father-Son bidding process takes place on the Friday before trade week. He will be eligible in the October 2011 draft, a draft comprimised by GWS concessions.

If in 2011 we finished say 6th, our first pick would be pick 24.

If a team who finished below us used their first pick to bid for Mitchell we would have to use pick 24 to claim him.

If however, the highest bidding team used a pick 25 or higher, then we would need to use our next pick (24+18=42) pick 42 to claim him.

If he develops into a really top draft pick, pick 24 would make him a bargain. So the comprimised draft of 2011 would be a great time to have him come of draft age.

I hope we are welcoming him aboard this time in two years.

RogueSwan
9th December 2009, 01:51 PM
If in 2011 we finished say 6th, our first pick would be pick 24.

Whoa, back up a minute here.

I thought we had all decided 2011 was going to be our next attack on the flag.

enough of this finishing sixth rubbish.

9th December 2009, 02:58 PM
Whoa, back up a minute here.

I thought we had all decided 2011 was going to be our next attack on the flag.

enough of this finishing sixth rubbish.

Oops, rewind - say we're runners up in 2011, that means we would may have to use our first draft pick of 32!

Now that's an even bigger bargain:)

Doctor J.
9th December 2009, 03:24 PM
Oops, rewind - say we're runners up in 2011, that means we would may have to use our first draft pick of 32!

Now that's an even bigger bargain:)

OK so its Pick 33 that we get him for. Bargain! Can live with that:D

So exciting! I can already see the uproar on BF if we acquired his services through the FS rule.

Why would there be an uproar? We would be getting him under the FS rule. Whats wrong with that?

9th December 2009, 04:41 PM
There will be an uproar if he's generally regarded as a top three pick but we can get him for pick 30'ish:D

Before the bidding system was introduced about three years ago there were some bargains for 2nd and 3rd round pics used for players that would have been top picks. I'm thinking Jonathon Brown, Gary Ablett Jnr ....

It's just the massive number of piks GC and GWS have that may drop top draft choices into clubs for picks in the 20s and 30s. Let's hope we're one of the lucky clubs during this window.

DST
9th December 2009, 06:28 PM
If his improvement continues and he is looked upon as a genuine top 5 pick in 2011 then he will arrive at the club at a perect time, considering the GC and GWS concessions.

I like the look of McVeigh, Bird, Jack, Hannaberry, Merideth, Vespremi, Rohan, Jetta and Mitchell running around in the midfield come 2012/2013.

DST

goswannies
9th December 2009, 06:33 PM
The Swans had best put some ground work in to him. Don't forget, Marc Murphy was eligable for a father son selection by Brisbane but opted not to be taken and nominated for the draft to be snaffled by Carlton.

Sydney circa 1982-4 should have shown more forsight too. Given their limited success (1982-5: 7th, 11th, 10th, 10th)... they should have played John (Jack) Lucas for every game and listed him for another 3 seasons (and kept on playing him) and we might have had a crack at Kane Lucas ;) . 1986 would have been the hard year since they finished second and he would have to have earned his place in the side :p

goswannies
9th December 2009, 06:38 PM
Why don't they have a "brother rule" similar to the father son rule so that the great one-club family combinations can continue? Collingwood did it themselves with the Clokes and the Shaws (Generation 2) but that was by taking advantage of the lax father son rules. GC17 look like doing it too with bucket loads of ca$h. But we're far less likely to see the likes of the Danihers, Morwoods, Cordners of yester-year.

Blood Oath
10th December 2009, 08:18 PM
That is ONE filler story I am genuinely happy to read. I loved Barry Mitchell when I was growing up - even wanted to have 49 (first number) on my dufflecoat until my Old Man told me to wait until he got a lower number (No. 10 for those playing at home). Still have his copy of the carbon copy report sheet from when he got struck by a filthy Roos player (forgive me - it is in a box at my parents). You know you are getting old when........

DeadlyAkkuret
10th December 2009, 09:09 PM
I don't want to jinx it, but is the 2009 off-season one of the most exciting for Sydney in a long time?

dimelb
10th December 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't want to jinx it, but is the 2009 off-season one of the most exciting for Sydney in a long time?
Most exciting in my short allegiance! (~12 years)

hammo
10th December 2009, 10:01 PM
The Swans had best put some ground work in to him. Don't forget, Marc Murphy was eligable for a father son selection by Brisbane but opted not to be taken and nominated for the draft to be snaffled by Carlton.

Well we certainly are starting early with the lad. I suppose if he develops into a top 5 prospect his choice will be F/S to the Swans or GWS who'll dominate the early picks. So he'll end up in Sydney either way, in which case I can't imagine him turning down the Swans.

11th December 2009, 10:21 AM

No, not "one of the most", it's THE most exciting since (take your pick here)1994 when we got Plugger and Roosy OR 1985 when we got the multitude of Edelstone draftees.

I'm fairly sure I've got those years correct.

I'm excited!!!

11th December 2009, 10:26 AM
Good point.

His choice will be the certainty of the Swans or the uncertainy of the ND where GWS have picks 1,2,3,5,7,9 etc.

If he declined our offer because he didn't want to come to Sydney (town), he would be relying on getting picked up at 4, 6, 8 etc, and who knows what kind of loser teams might have those picks in 2012.

Probably still Wretchmond, Freo, Poor Power - enough said:rolleyes:

Bear
11th December 2009, 10:45 AM
Mitch really disappointed me when he left, but all would be forgiven if Mitch Junior comes to the Swans.

Triple B
11th December 2009, 12:08 PM
......or 1985 when we got the multitude of Edelstone draftees.

No draft back then.

We just went out and bought them with all Edelstein's money that he didn't really have. Mind you, Geelong have screwed us over on just about every trade since then, payback for grabbing Deisel, Toohey and Bolton. Hopefully Mummy will stop the trend.

But draft or no draft, you're correct about one thing, that was an exciting time for sure.

Primmy
11th December 2009, 03:57 PM
Settle down kiddies!!!! He is SIXTEEN. I mean, no pressure or anything, but the child is still in school and two years away from his HSC.

Breath everyone, breath!!! :D