PDA

View Full Version : Matthews not coaching against Swans

Troy G
18th February 2003, 04:07 PM
Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews will hand over the reigns to understudy Gary O?Donnell for Saturday night?s opening round of the Wizard Cup against the Sydney Swans at Telstra Stadium.

It is a decision that meets a two-fold purpose - to further boost O?Donnell?s apprenticeship as an AFL coach in the making, and to allow Matthews to attend daughter Tracey?s wedding in Melbourne.

desredandwhite
18th February 2003, 04:09 PM
Honestly, why the hell do people insist on scheduling frickin' WEDDINGS the same time as football games???? :mad:

Anyone know what GO'D is like in the coaching box? Could this give us an edge somehow? ;)

Charlie
18th February 2003, 04:11 PM
My sister was darling enough to schedule her 21st on Saturday... grumble grumble grumble!! If I can get out of helping to clean up I should only miss a quarter and a bit... Maybe I can even sneak home early... see how it goes.

Otherwise - Robbie, I'll nick my dad's mobile, and I'm RELYING on you to keep me sane!

robbieando
18th February 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Otherwise - Robbie, I'll nick my dad's mobile, and I'm RELYING on you to keep me sane!

Charlie I can do that. I can't wait, some football at last. GOD BLESS FOXTEL

Cheer Cheer
18th February 2003, 08:50 PM
anything that can give us a slight adv. come playing the reining back to back premiers i'll take - is this an adv. ? I dunno, might be

vagary
18th February 2003, 08:55 PM
according to the tv guide they are not showing the game even delayed on the free to air. and i can't go to the game due to work. so i'm not happy.

liz
18th February 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by vagary
according to the tv guide they are not showing the game even delayed on the free to air. and i can't go to the game due to work. so i'm not happy.

I too am mighty pissed off about that one. I'm going to the game but such an addict am I that I like to watch a tape of games afterwards to see what I missed at the ground.

Robbie posted Melbourne viewing schedules sometime ago but I had always assumed that here in Sydney they'd show our game on FTA. Who up here is the slightest bit interested in Port vs Adelaide?

swansrock4eva
19th February 2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Honestly, why the hell do people insist on scheduling frickin' WEDDINGS the same time as football games???? :mad:

And you'd think with her footy background, she of all poeple would know better!

Grant
19th February 2003, 07:48 AM
On the news now they are saying that apparantly GO'D is to run the whole match day thing,the lead up etc.But Mathews is apparantly jumping on a plane straight after the ceremony to try and arrive at telstra stadium just before the first bounce.
This astounds me,it is afterall only a pre season game,shouldnt he really stick around for his own daughters reception etc and just let gary do it.Different story if it were a H & A match.It is the time when you can give your assistants the experience of it all(like us last year)Just doesn't make sense to me.

robbieando
19th February 2003, 09:22 AM
Its on Fox Footy and for the Wizard Cup all matches are set in sstone Australia wide. Guess Port vs Crows would rate better Australia wide.

Ajn
20th February 2003, 07:16 PM
Coach will have little bearing, since the squad will be drilled by Matthews to play their game. Maybe if it got tight, then the difference will fall our way. As loyal as I am, it's a fair sized "IF...."

Destructive
21st February 2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite

Anyone know what GO'D is like in the coaching box? Could this give us an edge somehow? ;)

When I got married in Round 1, 2001. I copped it from everywhere. I don't know how Mathews Daughter got away with her wedding on the same time as a game of footy.

Rizzo
21st February 2003, 11:47 AM
Miss Matthews probably planned the wedding before the pre-season draw was set.

Funny thing is, Wedding starts at 4pm and Lethal is getting on a plane at 5.30pm to catch as much of the game as possible.

shearer
21st February 2003, 01:54 PM
If anyone had seen on Foxfooty 'From The Lips of Lethal",Matthews makes very few moves on gameday.

On GF day he was very quiet, occasionally rotating the midfield, the biggest blast was for Akermanis "to get front & square in front of Lynchy"...two minutes later Akermanis does as asked and kicks the winning goal.

Id say because he has supreme confidence in his gameplan & his players to carry it out, unlike one R Eade, who would be on the phone every two seconds.

Interesting on from the Lips of Lethal when he called Roccas shot for goal in the last quarter "a goal".

Ajn
21st February 2003, 07:12 PM
If it turns out to be wet, tactics are gone.....an all in affair