PDA

View Full Version : Auburn???

Pekay
5th January 2010, 11:55 AM
Still no word on the re-formed Auburn club....
Website?
Coaches?
Any signings?

Rafters, what colours/design did they wear in the previous years? Weren't they Redlegs?

Rafters
7th January 2010, 09:00 AM
Still no word on the re-formed Auburn club....
Website?
Coaches?
Any signings?

Rafters, what colours/design did they wear in the previous years? Weren't they Redlegs?

Just before xmas I was asked to be involved with them in an offical capacity by the family of 10 that lives across the road & used to play at Redlegs as well as other western Sydney clubs for the past few decades. Unfortunately I had to decline but will be a keen follower & potential player of a few games. Expect the coach to come from one of the 10. Other signings I expect will come from the Auburn community.

I wouldn't expect anything too fancy as they are only entering in at 4th or 5th grade - would be extremely doubtful to see a website for you to stalk every second day!

I understand the club will be the Auburn Tigers. I expect they will play at Mona Park although Auburn Cricket Ground would be a great venue.

Pekay
7th January 2010, 09:19 AM
Can you see the likes of Medair, Eid and Salem to play for them?? Would imagine they get paid a decent quid at Wests.
They'll be hard to beat in Div 4 if they can get half of the family..

tara
7th January 2010, 09:41 AM
Just before xmas I was asked to be involved with them in an offical capacity by the family of 10 that lives across the road & used to play at Redlegs as well as other western Sydney clubs for the past few decades. Unfortunately I had to decline but will be a keen follower & potential player of a few games. Expect the coach to come from one of the 10. Other signings I expect will come from the Auburn community.

I wouldn't expect anything too fancy as they are only entering in at 4th or 5th grade - would be extremely doubtful to see a website for you to stalk every second day!

I understand the club will be the Auburn Tigers. I expect they will play at Mona Park although Auburn Cricket Ground would be a great venue.

My mail is the will be playing on the no1 oval - small but great looking venue - plenty of exposure from the the two roads along side of it.

Pace To Burn
7th January 2010, 11:09 AM
Can you see the likes of Medair, Eid and Salem to play for them?? Would imagine they get paid a decent quid at Wests.
They'll be hard to beat in Div 4 if they can get half of the family..

They'll all be there and id say Salem would be coaching. I dont think he played much this year but i know Eid and Medair wernt on big bucks at Wests they arent that way inclined from my dealings with them

Pekay
7th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Money certainly wouldn't be their motivation, good bunch of blokes. They'll love the lack of officialdom in Div 4 too! But, good for the game, getting all the boys back in the same team, think 2003 was the last time they got close to beibng on the same paddock, was about 5 of them playing magoos against us one day.
And yes, well put Rafters, I do stalk different websites, this one included!

Mug Punter
7th January 2010, 01:00 PM
They'll love the lack of officialdom in Div 4 too! But, good for the game, getting all the boys back in the same team.

Agree with the first statement but the second one is a bit dubious......

Rafters
7th January 2010, 01:38 PM
Knowing the family as well as I do I reckon they wouldn't care less if they didn't get paid a cent ... they just love playing footy.

And the opportunity for all 10 of them to play together in one side .. plus their cousins (Chicka & Jimmy who I rate as the best talent of the lot but stopped playing) ... well I reckon they would pay for that chance & they wouldn't care what grade that they were in.

Remember that they were all Auburn juniors too ...

Oh Pekay I didn't answer one of your previous questions ... the redlegs wore a jumper similar to Melbourne in the 1980's with red socks obviously.

tara
7th January 2010, 01:41 PM
Rafters due you remember a big bloke by the name of chook who played with them in the 80's (only young back then) who was another local?

Mug Punter
7th January 2010, 01:53 PM
And the opportunity for all 10 of them to play together in one side .. plus their cousins (Chicka & Jimmy who I rate as the best talent of the lot but stopped playing) ... well I reckon they would pay for that chance & they wouldn't care what grade that they were in.

Getting the 10 together will be the easy part, getting another 8 blokes to play with them will be the problem

This mob will last one season tops.....

Rafters
7th January 2010, 04:26 PM
Rafters due you remember a big bloke by the name of chook who played with them in the 80's (only young back then) who was another local?

Played against "Chook" Free when he was at Bankstown with Peter Orton.

Chris Laycock perhaps? He was in the papers for the wrong reasons in recent years ... I was the only other big bloke.

Getting the 10 together will be the easy part, getting another 8 blokes to play with them will be the problem

This mob will last one season tops.....

I am confident that they will get the other 8 ... remember that they are not playing for sheep stations at that level & a great entry level for people to try the game.

Shotties
7th January 2010, 06:29 PM
GL to Div 4 teams. I predict more than a few blood noses.

Pekay
7th January 2010, 07:18 PM
And club umpires will have no chance.....given their record, I would suggest the league send some official umps to their games.
And Rafters, which one copped the sentence of a few years awhile back for Ainslie I think?

Mug Punter
7th January 2010, 09:03 PM
And club umpires will have no chance.....given their record, I would suggest the league send some official umps to their games.
And Rafters, which one copped the sentence of a few years awhile back for Ainslie I think?

League Umpires an absolute must but then wait for the discrimination card to be played.

I guess you've got to give them the benefit of the doubt etc etc but with their track record it seems like a powder keg waiting to explode.

Genuinely hope it works out but anyone with the slightest knowledge of that clan's antics on the field over the last 10+ years would also be feeling very apprehensive, and rightly so.....

Pace To Burn
7th January 2010, 09:47 PM

Salem, sat on top of Nathan Lenton. Punched the @@@@ out of him down at Ainslie and broke his jaw when we were in the Canberra comp

Pace To Burn
7th January 2010, 09:52 PM
League Umpires an absolute must but then wait for the discrimination card to be played.

I guess you've got to give them the benefit of the doubt etc etc but with their track record it seems like a powder keg waiting to explode.

Genuinely hope it works out but anyone with the slightest knowledge of that clan's antics on the field over the last 10+ years would also be feeling very apprehensive, and rightly so.....

Funny thing is that when you meet them off the field they are the quietest nicest blokes youd ever meet. I played with two of them(Salem and Tommy) as well as played against Med and Eid and are great blokes off the field but white line fever takes over on it. And its not only when protecting each other they do the same for anyone wearing the same jumper as them. In saying that they do go a step further than most once the red flag comes out

tara
8th January 2010, 07:27 AM

League umpires are an absolute must at all games but the sad fact is its not going to happen - the whole club umpiring thing is a joke when you have some umpires who remain impartial - some who favour the opposition teams so as to not look biased and some who are nothing more than cheats and essentially a nineteenth man.

Pekay
8th January 2010, 08:30 AM
Good point Colesy. It gets frustrating, but I'd prefer that than no game at all I suppose.
On your point Bucks, they are a top bunch of blokes off the field, but they do suffer the rabies when they step out. I'm guilty of it too,l doesn't make me proud, but it happens. But I certainly don't take it to a very high level, despite what some fools on here, some of which I've never met, ala the Peanut ex assistant coach, will have you believe.

Pace To Burn
8th January 2010, 12:26 PM
Good point Colesy. It gets frustrating, but I'd prefer that than no game at all I suppose.
On your point Bucks, they are a top bunch of blokes off the field, but they do suffer the rabies when they step out. I'm guilty of it too,l doesn't make me proud, but it happens. But I certainly don't take it to a very high level, despite what some fools on here, some of which I've never met, ala the Peanut ex assistant coach, will have you believe.

I agree mate as i said they take it to a diff level, just wanted to make it known they have another side also. The thing these days is the umpires are so gun ho at stamping anything out and have made the game that soft that you only have too hit someone with a big shot thats legal like a bump and theyll give a free against you, so if heaven forbid someone lifts an arm or punches another player in our contact sport all hell brakes loose:D

mountainsofpain
8th January 2010, 01:04 PM
Official umpires wouldn't make any difference either - certainly not if you consider the events at a particular SFA First Grade final about ten years ago.

This sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster to me.

Monty Burns2
8th January 2010, 01:33 PM
Official umpires wouldn't make any difference either - certainly not if you consider the events at a particular SFA First Grade final about ten years ago.

This sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster to me.

Or at a premier division match at the Village Green the year before last.

unconfuseme
8th January 2010, 11:56 PM
If other clubs are concerned about playing these guys, and they cause trouble, it's fairly simple, just forfeit matches against them.

With a united front, the message is clear.

Question?

Do they support any local junior team? ... that needs to be a pre-requisite for ANY senior team, in my opinion ... particularly a new team.

Sydney AFL is as weak as it is, because the senior teams do not nurture juniors ... should be mandatory for ALL teams.

Goanna
9th January 2010, 08:29 AM
Question?

Do they support any local junior team? ... that needs to be a pre-requisite for ANY senior team, in my opinion ... particularly a new team.

Sydney AFL is as weak as it is, because the senior teams do not nurture juniors ... should be mandatory for ALL teams.[/QUOTE]
---------------

Unconfuseme i have to agree. As a "Johnny come lately" to the Sydney AFL scene it doesnt seem right to me that the University Clubs are allowed dominate the competions (5 of 7 flags 2009 and 15 teams between them} with most of their success coming from their ability to attract new players due to their convenient geographical advantage of being located in the City. None have any Junior programs yet are protected through the pathway programs where they take the the local under 18's as well. How the other Sydney clubs compete with is a credit to them. On top of that SU and UNSW cant get relegated. I must be missing something.
By limiting clubs to 3 senior teams, the demand will create new clubs and a fairer, more even competition from div 2 down . Like the uni blacks and uni blues model in melbourne. Blacks home one week and blues the next will sort out ground issues. And all clubs should have "hands on" junior (10-16 yo}programs...

Pekay
9th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Question?

Sydney AFL is as weak as it is, because the senior teams do not nurture juniors ... should be mandatory for ALL teams.
---------------

Unconfuseme i have to agree. As a "Johnny come lately" to the Sydney AFL scene it doesnt seem right to me that the University Clubs are allowed dominate the competions (5 of 7 flags 2009 and 15 teams between them} with most of their success coming from their ability to attract new players due to their convenient geographical advantage of being located in the City. None have any Junior programs yet are protected through the pathway programs where they take the the local under 18's as well. How the other Sydney clubs compete with is a credit to them. On top of that SU and UNSW cant get relegated. I must be missing something.
By limiting clubs to 3 senior teams, the demand will create new clubs and a fairer, more even competition from div 2 down . Like the uni blacks and uni blues model in melbourne. Blacks home one week and blues the next will sort out ground issues. And all clubs should have "hands on" junior (10-16 yo}programs...[/QUOTE]
I'm not a fan of any uni, and I don't really want to go into bat for them, but you have to credit Mac Uni over the past few years, they have aligned themselves with Westbrook juniors and Pennant Hills seniors, effectively underwriting their future local recruiting. These things take a hell of alot of work to put in place, and will only pay dividends in the future.
Moorebank are another, I recognise the hard yards Colesy, Ian and the team down there have put in, since 2006 where the club was on its knees, to setting up junior affiliations with local clubs and having an increasingly competitive 18s team, whilst slowly but surely going from Defence Force reliance to the point where the Army element actually supplements their list. We have gone a similar way, where if we were to have a deployment of the magnitude of 2004, where we lost in excess of 70 players at the end of the year, almost crushing the club into extinction, we would be able to sustain the loss with local players, all this without an 18s system that hasn't been in effect since 2003. Once we can shore up our junior ties with Quakers Hill, Hawkesbury & to a lesser extent (But equally important-and I realise they aren't in our pathway, but they still have plenty of contact within our club) Blue Mountains, our future in whatever divisions we compete in will be assured.

Goanna
9th January 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm not a fan of any uni, and I don't really want to go into bat for them, but you have to credit Mac Uni over the past few years, they have aligned themselves with Westbrook juniors and Pennant Hills seniors, effectively underwriting their future local recruiting. These things take a hell of alot of work to put in place, and will only pay dividends in the future.
Moorebank are another, I recognise the hard yards Colesy, Ian and the team down there have put in, since 2006 where the club was on its knees, to setting up junior affiliations with local clubs and having an increasingly competitive 18s team, whilst slowly but surely going from Defence Force reliance to the point where the Army element actually supplements their list. We have gone a similar way, where if we were to have a deployment of the magnitude of 2004, where we lost in excess of 70 players at the end of the year, almost crushing the club into extinction, we would be able to sustain the loss with local players, all this without an 18s system that hasn't been in effect since 2003. Once we can shore up our junior ties with Quakers Hill, Hawkesbury & to a lesser extent (But equally important-and I realise they aren't in our pathway, but they still have plenty of contact within our club) Blue Mountains, our future in whatever divisions we compete in will be assured.
---------------

Pekay, i concede on your Mac uni point ..but cant see the connection or relevance of Moorebank and Norwest to Uni argument..but thats fine..
As i said i am an johnny come lately
Anyway it looks like a big year ahead.

Pekay
9th January 2010, 10:22 AM
Question?

Read above post by Uconfuseme. Moorebank have been to hell and back as a club over the last four or so years, as has my club (NWJ) but with the right structures and the right people in place, we have worked our way back to being a competitive unit on and off the field. I hate to refer back to 2009 as it's a year I wish to forget for many reasons, all related to football, but we managed to run third in the Bob McConnell Trophy (Or the club championship, however I'm a traditionalist) to powerhouse clubs UTS (4 teams) & East Coast (5 teams) a feat we are very proud of, having only Senior & Reserves.

As a Johnny Come Lately to Sydney Footy, you won't realise the reliance both Nor-West (and formerly Hawkesbury) and Moorebank (Formerly South West Sydney) have had on the local Defence Force Bases of RAAF Richmond and Holsworthy for players. One week you'd have a world beating team on the park, the next, struggling for numbers. Band-aid solutions were provided, but as we all know, band-aids don't heal open wounds do they? So people with foresight, and a vision beyond the follwoing year, put these structures in place to ensure future survival.

Penriff are lucky to have such a good 18s structure in place, solid juniors in their direct catchment, and this should translate into a much more successful (I was going to use competitive, but they always have a red hot go out on the field) senior branch in coming years, provided the 18s stick around to play seniors, which, over the past few years, they have (Corless, Lockhart, Keane to name a few)

Not sure where you are from, but the outer western suburbs clubs (Nor-West, Penriff, Moorebank, to a lesser extent Parramatta) haven't been able to rely on keeping the front door open for recruits like the inner city clubs like UTS, Uni NSW/ES, or the coastal teams of Cronulla & Manly, so junior development out here is imperative. We are lucky to have so many locals in our team, and of the 50 odd players that played finals for us, at least 30, upwards of 35 are local products from Hawkesbury or Blacktown.

Will your username reflect the club you choose to play for?

Goanna
9th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Will your username reflect the club you choose to play for?[/QUOTE]

No not related.. Goanna name taken after a late billionaire.
recently landed in sydney and yes located east but few choices outside Uni clubs..will probably join one of the two new clubs for a kick.
So wondering if Auburn have web site? Saints the other.

tara
9th January 2010, 10:50 AM
Goanna Im assuming you are aligned with Parra?

From what I know Auburn will be working closely with the local juniors at Auburn with a view to growing the club and the code in the area.

AS far as peoples concerns about the Kassems give them the benefit of the doubt - im sure they know all eyes will be on them and will want to put up a good face - some clubs will no doubt bait them like happens with us but if they get a respone then they really are at fault.

As far as the unis go well good luck to them - limiting the number of teams they have is not the answer - I can tell you now that Im hoping in ten years we have teams from div one to div four as well as our 18's - I certainly wouldnt want to see restrictions put into place that may see players lost to the game.

tara
9th January 2010, 10:54 AM

No not related.. Goanna name taken after a late billionaire.
recently landed in sydney and yes located east but few choices outside Uni clubs..will probably join one of the two new clubs for a kick.
So wondering if Auburn have web site? Saints the other.[/QUOTE]

Auburn doesnt Randwick does - check out the Sydney AFL website SportingPulse Homepage for Sydney AFL (www.sydneyafl.com.au) for links to all clubs. If you dont mind travelling Ill always welcome new players at Moorebank.

Shotties
9th January 2010, 11:11 AM
None have any Junior programs

Pardon me? Fill a few seconds of my time and tell me everything you know about Usyds work with the Newtown Swans, local primary schools and the holiday footy camps that are run on school breaks.

ShortHalfHead
9th January 2010, 11:12 AM
Read above post by Uconfuseme. Moorebank have been to hell and back as a club over the last four or so years, as has my club (NWJ) but with the right structures and the right people in place, we have worked our way back to being a competitive unit on and off the field. I hate to refer back to 2009 as it's a year I wish to forget for many reasons, all related to football, but we managed to run third in the Bob McConnell Trophy (Or the club championship, however I'm a traditionalist) to powerhouse clubs UTS (4 teams) & East Coast (5 teams) a feat we are very proud of, having only Senior & Reserves.

As a Johnny Come Lately to Sydney Footy, you won't realise the reliance both Nor-West (and formerly Hawkesbury) and Moorebank (Formerly South West Sydney) have had on the local Defence Force Bases of RAAF Richmond and Holsworthy for players. One week you'd have a world beating team on the park, the next, struggling for numbers. Band-aid solutions were provided, but as we all know, band-aids don't heal open wounds do they? So people with foresight, and a vision beyond the follwoing year, put these structures in place to ensure future survival.

Penriff are lucky to have such a good 18s structure in place, solid juniors in their direct catchment, and this should translate into a much more successful (I was going to use competitive, but they always have a red hot go out on the field) senior branch in coming years, provided the 18s stick around to play seniors, which, over the past few years, they have (Corless, Lockhart, Keane to name a few)

Not sure where you are from, but the outer western suburbs clubs (Nor-West, Penriff, Moorebank, to a lesser extent Parramatta) haven't been able to rely on keeping the front door open for recruits like the inner city clubs like UTS, Uni NSW/ES, or the coastal teams of Cronulla & Manly, so junior development out here is imperative. We are lucky to have so many locals in our team, and of the 50 odd players that played finals for us, at least 30, upwards of 35 are local products from Hawkesbury or Blacktown.

PK has hit the nail on the head in his very insightful analysis of Western Sydney Football. The defence corp side of things has had a big affect on the clubs mentioned over the last decade with the transient lists. Kids tend to front up every year to play footy in juniors abut when their junior careers end, it's a tough gig to get them to jump to 18's footy, especially if their senior club is struggling for success or perceived to have cultural problems. Gotta give full credit to Moorebank for getting over this hurdle and having good people running the club. Same goes for the Jets, who had an amazing year and should be congratulated for only spending a season in div 3. I am sure I will be singing their praises in 18 months time when they get their 18's off the ground. Penrith chose the same path as the Jets in 2009 by dropping back a division to get some respectability back into the success process, although it didn't work to plan as hoped. The 18's programm at the Rams has been the highlight though and local juniors are starting to take notice with some even returning this year after leaving the club. The new management group contains mainly new faces with a wealth of experience in junior football.

But hey, how off topic am I getting ! Good luck to Auburn (and Maroubra for that matter). Hopefully Auburn blend into div 4 social footy with no dramas. The concerns are, as mentioned, that they will be able to forge a relationship with some junior clubs and expand, not just be a one team club with a short lifespan.

ShortHalfHead
9th January 2010, 11:18 AM
Pardon me? Fill a few seconds of my time and tell me everything you know about Usyds work with the Newtown Swans, local primary schools and the holiday footy camps that are run on school breaks.

I am sure Syd Uni do put in some hard yards, just like most other clubs do.

It was interesting though, that they were the most vocal opponents of the Under 18's zoning laws as it restricted them from offering Santa Claus incentives to talented players in a 100k radius. They got a good sling however in getting quite a few private schools drawn into their catchment.

Shotties
9th January 2010, 01:03 PM
It was interesting though, that they were the most vocal opponents of the Under 18's zoning laws
Whereas I agree with them. Who wants to decide where they play anyway? Me personally, I'd much rather be playing at one club still instead of moving teams to play with mates who were in a different comp.

as it restricted them from offering Santa Claus incentives to talented players in a 100k radius.
I missed it the first time, run your list of players and what incentives they were offered by me again.

ShortHalfHead
9th January 2010, 02:18 PM
Whereas I agree with them. Who wants to decide where they play anyway? Me personally, I'd much rather be playing at one club still instead of moving teams to play with mates who were in a different comp.

I missed it the first time, run your list of players and what incentives they were offered by me again.

Pretty well all here, Shotties. Ruminate at your own leisure

Sydney Uni + Collingwood U/18 Team - RedandWhiteOnline (RWO) Messageboard (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26951&highlight=collingwood)

Shotties
9th January 2010, 02:52 PM
Pretty well all here, Shotties. Ruminate at your own leisure

Sydney Uni + Collingwood U/18 Team - RedandWhiteOnline (RWO) Messageboard (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26951&highlight=collingwood)

I was hoping for something a little more based in fact. Just as a starting point, the club doesn't have the authority to grant scholarships.

Edit: just to clarify, obviously not the NSW scholarships, I was referring to the UAI bumping and instantaneous access to a course that apparently occured

ShortHalfHead
9th January 2010, 03:49 PM
I was hoping for something a little more based in fact. Just as a starting point, the club doesn't have the authority to grant scholarships.

Edit: just to clarify, obviously not the NSW scholarships, I was referring to the UAI bumping and instantaneous access to a course that apparently occured

One would assume that the uni would take recommendations from the club re scholarships. Have they ever given financial assitance to any athlete in one of their clubs, I may well ask? So it's rather pointless trying to look for a technical out.

The UAI bumping was offered, maybe not authorised but offered. Heard it from a few parents. One already had a daughter at the uni and had a one on one chat after training about how they did that. Was told that it would involve an interview etc but exceptions are made. Further confirmed by a friends daughter that got into a vet course at Wagga despite being just below the break line. It happens, thought if you were involved you would have been aware.
But I don't plan to go through the whole debacle anymore. Well done to Uni on winning the CC. I was at the GF and cheered them on (as well as our locals). They deserved to win and their presence wasn't the kids problem. They played a good style of footy and were obviously well coached.

Getting back to my original statement though, Shooties, can you let me know why Uni were so fiercly opposed the the 18's zoning laws?

mountainsofpain
9th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Getting back to my original statement though, Shooties, can you let me know why Uni were so fiercly opposed the the 18's zoning laws?
No doubt the reason was because it would mean the potential demise of the goose that lays the golden eggs.

It is far easier to put an Under 18s side together by pillaging existing talent from other clubs and areas in Sydney rather than starting a side from scratch from your own area. And winning a premiership then becomes a formality when an incompetent administration then puts said side in the lower Under 18s division. :rolleyes:

It reflects the whole mentality of the University clubs as opposed to many of the non-uni clubs.

The Uni clubs (in particular the three inner city ones - Sydney Uni, Uni of NSW pre-merger and UTS) were able to be incredibly successful in senior ranks by attracting players from an extremely sizeable player pool of existing senior players. They never needed to have juniors coming through.

The non-uni clubs in contrast more often than not did not have such a player pool to choose from - so they recognized the need to get juniors through as much as possible. Certainly different clubs put in more effort than others, but I can't think of too many of these clubs who didn't at least have an Under 18 side in the past, say, ten years.

So when Sydney Uni put an Under 18 side in last year, it is hardly a surprise that they adopted the approach they did, which was tapping into an existing player base to form the side rather than put the work into developing one from the ground up. It was simply a reflection of the approach which had been so successful at the senior level.

And it is hardly a surprise that they then objected to a proposal which could potentially put a spanner in the works for them.

If Sydney Uni has to form and operate an Under 18s side in the same way that the other clubs do (which I hope is the outcome of these zoning laws), it won't hurt them one little bit. In fact it will welcome them to the real world.

Shotties
9th January 2010, 09:14 PM
But I don't plan to go through the whole debacle anymore.
Fantastic, I'll take this to PM, then.

Well, primarily because it gives the club two clubs with under 12s teams and some Union focused private schools.

Now to quote Lupe Fiasco, don't get it twisted. The club doesn't resent working with these clubs and schools by any stretch. As you so nobly conceded before the club already does a lot of work already with clinics and so forth, but to gain two clubs with under 12s /14s teams whilst other teams get upto and over four firmly established junior clubs with multiple under sixteens teams and have everyone nod their head, stroke their chin and say "Yep, this system is much better than the play where you want system we had before" is a bit strange.

Secondary to that, it also cuts off another method through which players come to the club: They attend the Uni. What if first year students who played juniors elsewhere wanted to play for the Uni?

Me personally? I just think zoning is a crock of @@@@ and there's a reason they got rid of it years ago.

Pace To Burn
9th January 2010, 10:09 PM
Fantastic, I'll take this to PM, then.

Well, primarily because it gives the club two clubs with under 12s teams and some Union focused private schools.

Now to quote Lupe Fiasco, don't get it twisted. The club doesn't resent working with these clubs and schools by any stretch. As you so nobly conceded before the club already does a lot of work already with clinics and so forth, but to gain two clubs with under 12s /14s teams whilst other teams get upto and over four firmly established junior clubs with multiple under sixteens teams and have everyone nod their head, stroke their chin and say "Yep, this system is much better than the play where you want system we had before" is a bit strange.

Secondary to that, it also cuts off another method through which players come to the club: They attend the Uni. What if first year students who played juniors elsewhere wanted to play for the Uni?

Me personally? I just think zoning is a crock of @@@@ and there's a reason they got rid of it years ago.

Would like to know how many of these this is a case for. Even if it is each premier league club can only nominate 30 names that have to apply if they want to play elsewhere you muppett, so all it means is you cant poach the cream of the crop hey:p

ShortHalfHead
9th January 2010, 10:59 PM
Would like to know how many of these this is a case for. Even if it is each premier league club can only nominate 30 names that have to apply if they want to play elsewhere you muppett, so all it means is you cant poach the cream of the crop hey:p

Excellent point, Pace. Still plenty of players who haven't been "listed". Will Uni be so aggresive in targetting these players so they have a place to play?

Ofr course Shotties thinks that the listing is a COS. Going along "company" lines there. They wouldn't have introduced it except for the underhanded tactics of SU

Shotties
9th January 2010, 11:06 PM
Would like to know how many of these this is a case for.

My language was clumsy there I didn't mean they had four teams each with multiple teams, I meant multiple teams ergo multiple sets of under 16s, but since you asked according to the pathways

St George has 7 sets of 16s to draw from, North has 10, East Coast has 5 that I got upto before I grew bored with this exercise. Point is, this zoning has encouraged a lot of head nodding in agreement saying how fair it is.

Now obviously I'm an intellectual pygmy when compared to the power players of the Sydney AFL who post on this site but I struggle to see how such a set up is fair when some clubs have pools literally 10 times that of others and some clubs won't even have kids graduating from 16s for another few seasons. I'm open to being enlightened but please try and speak slowly.

Edit: I should reclarify, I'm more than happy to take this to PMs and avoid hijacking the thread, or even having these posts moved to another thread.

mountainsofpain
9th January 2010, 11:22 PM
Now obviously I'm an intellectual pygmy when compared to the power players of the Sydney AFL who post on this site but I struggle to see how such a set up is fair when some clubs have pools literally 10 times that of others and some clubs won't even have kids graduating from 16s for another few seasons. I'm open to being enlightened but please try and speak slowly.
Not all clubs have had the benefit of running an Under 18s side from multiple junior feeder clubs over the years. Some have run Under 18s from only the one junior club (eg Hawkesbury, S-W Sydney and Penrith), others (eg Parramatta) have not had a junior feeder club at all until recent times.

I guess fairness is in the eye of the beholder. To many any advantage some clubs may now enjoy in juniors would simply be making up for the enormous benefits inner city clubs like Sydney Uni have enjoyed for years from the sheer size of the senior player pool they have had at their disposal.

DLH
10th January 2010, 01:10 AM

Great post Pekay, summed it all up very well.

From Penrith's point of view, we've gone down a similar path to yourselves and Moorebank over the past couple of years and realised that the demographic hurdles that were in our way were never going to disappear, and that we needed to encourage junior people (players and administrators) to take on an increasing role in order to survive and eventually flourish (Shotties, this may explain some of the angst from some posters re the U/18's issue, by targetting our best youngsters you were actively putting in jeopardy these club's chances of long term sustainability).

While it may not be apparent externally, we are light years ahead of where we were 4-5 years ago in many respects (although we did have a much stronger senior side then). We have a our own U/18's side which is improving in results and reputation amongst the local junior community year by year, and we have a new management structure with a number of people from junior backgrounds involved, and in the past few months these guys have improved our sponsorship position enormously which means we no longer have any financial issues, which was certainly not the case even two years ago.

At the end of the day we are still a club that operates in Div 3 and 4 which is hardly cause for celebration, but like the Jets and Moorebank I think that structurally we have our house in order which is a good place to start.

Mug Punter
10th January 2010, 12:36 PM

Pretty much nails it IMO. Will stop poaching but there should still be enough talent for the Uni to develop an U18 program. Players can still go to Sydney Uni in their second year if they still wish to play there.

If they hadn't been so gungho, and I think Collingwood (spit) had a fair role there, then this would not have been necessary.

Mug Punter
10th January 2010, 12:40 PM
My language was clumsy there I didn't mean they had four teams each with multiple teams, I meant multiple teams ergo multiple sets of under 16s, but since you asked according to the pathways

St George has 7 sets of 16s to draw from, North has 10, East Coast has 5 that I got upto before I grew bored with this exercise. Point is, this zoning has encouraged a lot of head nodding in agreement saying how fair it is.

Edit: I should reclarify, I'm more than happy to take this to PMs and avoid hijacking the thread, or even having these posts moved to another thread.

To use an example, North Shore can only nominate 30 players. I believe that any players from the previous U18 season who played a certaion number of games (9?) automatically are on the list. Let's say that is 10. That leaves 20 spots to be filled by 10 teams. Clearly it will only apply to the top level juniors.

ShortHalfHead
10th January 2010, 06:47 PM
A few things posted by "the student" last year re Sydney Uni 18's

Last post on this from me - just to clear the scholarship thing up - SU Sport provide a limited number of scholarships for student athletes for each sport. About half a dozen are allotted to SUANFC - I don't know how many are afforded to rugby but it is probably about 10 times that number! They are worth anywhere between $1000 and $4000 and can be put toward HECS, textbooks etc. As for free UAI points, that is a complete untruth - however if a student athlete is near to a UAI cut-off point for course entry they will be considered

No uni scholarships, eh. I guess the student just made it up. Can you have a chat to him, Shotties, and set him right

Unfortunately I wasn't privy to the meeting with the AFL about our Colts team - it is disappointing for the club, however, our intention was to create an Under 18s team and we have achieved that goal thanks to the stellar work carried out by our President - who is an absolute genius - and several hardworking members of our committee. We don't really care what other clubs do or say - we are just happy to be able to provide a place for people to come and play footy

As you can see, plenty of "not so talented" unlisted players available who Sydney Uni can approach to provide them a place to just play footy, any guesses on how many will be approached?

Shotties
10th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Mmm, a real shame you couldn't have just answered my PM as I requested earlier and instead decided to post here and further derail the thread.

PM returned, though I don't know why I'm bothering since I never said SU players couldn't get scholarships nor did I say that Uni players weren't considered for extra UAI points, simply that they didn't receive it solely on the basis of playing for the club.

Pace To Burn
10th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Mmm, a real shame you couldn't have just answered my PM as I requested earlier and instead decided to post here and further derail the thread.

PM returned, though I don't know why I'm bothering since I never said SU players couldn't get scholarships nor did I say that Uni players weren't considered for extra UAI points, simply that they didn't receive it solely on the basis of playing for the club.

Are you that dumb. You just said they were considered for extra UAI points, why else would they be given extra points other than to get them to Syd Uni and playing for you. If you wernt telling admissions we want this kid here help him out he wouldnt get the extra points. Seriously knob quit while your behind and make yourself out to be a bigger muppet than you already have:p

Shotties
10th January 2010, 10:15 PM
Are you that dumb. You just said they were considered for extra UAI points, why else would they be given extra points other than to get them to Syd Uni and playing for you.
I said they COULD be considered for extra UAI points if they fell a hair short of the admission. They'd have to apply to their paticular school and make an academic and extra curricular case just like any other student who applies for a scholarship. If they were more then a few points short or all they had to fall back on was playing for the club they'd be in trouble.

You're more than welcome to peruse the admissions page and you'll find that the max allowable allocation is 5 points, though it's considerably less for any competitive course and some courses don't allow ATAR concessions at all.

If you wernt telling admissions we want this kid here help him out he wouldnt get the extra points.
Mmm, yep. That's exactly how it happens. Usyd admissions take their cues from one of the smallest football clubs they have.

Though I'm curious to know, which of our players got a UAI boost as described on this site based only on the fact he played for the club. You'd be able to back this up of course.

Seriously knob quit while your behind and make yourself out to be a bigger muppet than you already have:p
Disagree with what I have to say all you want but at least respond without remarks like this. Adds nothing.

Pekay
11th January 2010, 12:30 PM
From what I know Auburn will be working closely with the local juniors at Auburn with a view to growing the club and the code in the area.

AS far as peoples concerns about the Kassems give them the benefit of the doubt - im sure they know all eyes will be on them and will want to put up a good face - some clubs will no doubt bait them like happens with us but if they get a respone then they really are at fault.

Do they have local juniors at Auburn? At what level- I'm assuming Auskick at minimum?

And you're right, they should be given benefit of doubt, but mud does stick. I am looking forward to seeing two new teams on the landscape this year, good for the game.

mountainsofpain
16th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Do they have local juniors at Auburn? At what level- I'm assuming Auskick at minimum?

And you're right, they should be given benefit of doubt, but mud does stick. I am looking forward to seeing two new teams on the landscape this year, good for the game.
You would hope that the Auburn side is being put together with long term plans in mind, which is why working with the local community and juniors would be important.

If it is just a vehicle for a bunch of mates or family members to play together, then sustainability may be a bit harder. This club has already folded once (exactly when or why I can't remember), you wouldn't want it to happen again after going to the trouble of re-forming.

tara
16th January 2010, 12:04 PM
Mountain my understanding is that they contacted all the senior clubs incl our withing their region and asked if they had any objections to them forming - again from my limited understanding is there are juniors and they are doing this with a view to the long term - good on 'em I say - whilst we all may be opponents Im sure we all have one common view and that is growing the game is good for all of us.

Rafters
16th January 2010, 12:14 PM
You would hope that the Auburn side is being put together with long term plans in mind, which is why working with the local community and juniors would be important.

If it is just a vehicle for a bunch of mates or family members to play together, then sustainability may be a bit harder. This club has already folded once (exactly when or why I can't remember), you wouldn't want it to happen again after going to the trouble of re-forming.

The last time that the senior club existed was in 1991 - largely due to the fact that about 15 of us had followed the "pathway" to Premier League in the preceding 2 years. And the junior club largely ended when a wonderful lady called Mrs Coutts died from cancer as she was the backbone after a few fathers had followed their sons to Parra. There was also a club back in 1965/66 as well.

If the club doesn't work then so what? The key is that a club is being given a chance to develop & introduce the code to a number of people that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity. It has proven to be a fertile area in the past - just needs a chance to grow again.

tara
16th January 2010, 12:16 PM
Rafters given the location of Mona Park their will be plenty of locals who get to see the games - that alone should hopefully drum up interest amongst the lcoal community - its a great looking place for footy.

mountainsofpain
16th January 2010, 12:25 PM
The last time that the senior club existed was in 1991 - largely due to the fact that about 15 of us had followed the "pathway" to Premier League in the preceding 2 years. And the junior club largely ended when a wonderful lady called Mrs Coutts died from cancer as she was the backbone after a few fathers had followed their sons to Parra. There was also a club back in 1965/66 as well.

Thanks for that info.

If the club doesn't work then so what? The key is that a club is being given a chance to develop & introduce the code to a number of people that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity. It has proven to be a fertile area in the past - just needs a chance to grow again.
I'll rephrase. It would be a shame if the club didn't work this time around. Too many senior clubs have disappeared over the years in Sydney and for the good of the senior game I hope that any new or re-formed clubs don't suffer the same fate.

Rafters
16th January 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that info.

I'll rephrase. It would be a shame if the club didn't work this time around. Too many senior clubs have disappeared over the years in Sydney and for the good of the senior game I hope that any new or re-formed clubs don't suffer the same fate.

Give them a chance first before writing them off.

Rafters
16th January 2010, 04:29 PM
Rafters given the location of Mona Park their will be plenty of locals who get to see the games - that alone should hopefully drum up interest amongst the lcoal community - its a great looking place for footy.

Will get me to the game as only a stone's throw away - I also introduced them to their first sponsor yesterday who are quite interested.

mountainsofpain
16th January 2010, 04:41 PM
Give them a chance first before writing them off.
More than happy to. :)

And I wasn't writing them off, simply saying that sustainability could possibly be a problem in certain circumstances.

But it looks like the necessary planning and work is going into the club, which is great.