PDA

View Full Version : Noughty Swans

liz
12th January 2010, 11:47 PM
Yes, noughty - not naughty.

A bit of off-season fun, I just stumbled across this quiz which asks you to name the 88 players who played at least one senior game for the Swans during the decade that was the Noughties, within a 12 minute time frame. It is harder than it sounds with the time pressure on. I managed 80 out of 88 on my first attempt, and managed to miss a couple of current players!!

Can you name the AFL - Sydney Swans Players 2000-2009? - sporcle (http://www.sporcle.com/games/DJDaForce/Swans00)

desredandwhite
13th January 2010, 07:47 AM
Argh! I got 64. Was all smooth sailing until I hit 50 with 6 minutes to go... Then hit a mental blank and it became a real hard slog. Missed a few obvious ones and went "ohhhhh yeah I remember him.. I think" for a few others

i'm-uninformed2
13th January 2010, 09:08 AM
54 - but I bet I was the first to get Brett Piltz!

johnno
13th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Dreadful for me, I got 48, probably would have got another 3 or 4 if it wasnt for constantly needing to clear spelling errors.

johnno
13th January 2010, 09:28 AM
Also, I can honestly say I have no idea who "Brent Piltz and Aaron Rogers' are. If someone had said to me that these 2 played for the swans in the last decade, I would have said you're having me on right?

ugg
13th January 2010, 10:47 AM
Missed Bennett, Brockman, Chambers, Daffy, Piltz and Thewlis. Almost forgot Lockett too :o

Captain
13th January 2010, 11:31 AM
Thewlis. :o

Wow Thewlis - there is a blast from the past!

He was a true hack.

desredandwhite
13th January 2010, 11:41 AM
I got Thewlis!

I only remember because he was drafted just before Malceski.

Big Al
13th January 2010, 11:45 AM
Got 52 (NARF obviously) and realised with 10 sec to go that I forgot Paul Kelly :o

timbo
13th January 2010, 12:30 PM
got 65 out of 88.

spent about 2 minutes trying to put Meiklejohn into the field. didnt end up getting it.

fun game though.

alison.z
13th January 2010, 12:38 PM
54 between my sister and I although she's only been watching since 2005 and i've only been watching since 2001 but I was too young to remember many of the players before 03/04 ...

I was annoyed at a few of the older ones I missed but got pretty much all the players post 2005!!

Puppy Eyes
13th January 2010, 02:07 PM
66. Missed Goodes and couldn't spell Sundqvist, cost me 20 seconds at least.

RogueSwan
13th January 2010, 02:52 PM
48 - I did not read the question properly. I thought it was footballers that debuted for the swans between 2000 and 2009.:o

Jeffers1984
13th January 2010, 03:59 PM
77 - took me forever to spell Meiklejohn.

ugg
29th October 2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, everyone knows the decade actually runs from 2001-2010, not 2000-2009. So I've made a new quiz, and just to make it a little harder I included everyone on a senior or rookie list in those years, irrespective of whether they've actually played a senior game or not.

How many of the 146 players can you name?!

Can you name the Sydney Swans players on the senior or rookie list for the seasons 2001-2010 (inclusive)? - sporcle (http://www.sporcle.com/games/grimlock81/Swans0110)

liz
29th October 2010, 07:24 PM
Okay, everyone knows the decade actually runs from 2001-2010, not 2000-2009. So I've made a new quiz, and just to make it a little harder I included everyone on a senior or rookie list in those years, irrespective of whether they've actually played a senior game or not.

Can you name the Sydney Swans players on the senior or rookie list for the seasons 2001-2010 (inclusive)? - sporcle (http://www.sporcle.com/games/grimlock81/Swans0110)
That's pretty tough - and not over generous on the time. I managed 126 but I think I would have got another 10 or so with more time. Most I missed were past rookies, though I missed at least one current senior player and another because I couldn't spell his name correctly. There were a few I could picture but their names escaped me! And a couple of names on the list that I have absolutely no recollection of.

BTW - I think you've missed (at least) one player.

BeeEmmAre
29th October 2010, 07:44 PM
I'll do yours ugg, but the decade definitely ended after 2009.

BSA5
29th October 2010, 08:13 PM

The decade is 2000-2009. "Decade" refers to any allotment of 10 years, so the fact that the millennium began at year 1 is completely irrelevant. Grouping 10 years together has nothing to do with it. If you were to say that a particular decade is "the nth decade", then yes, the absence of a year 0 would become significant, but people don't do that. Simply labelling it as the noughties or whatever is independent. So, following from that, the most logical allotment would be from 0-9. This is also simply conventional. Any allotment will be somewhat artbitrary, but it is the neatest way of doing it, and is the way it is done, so there is no need to change it. :)

Now that that's out of the way, I got 101. Missed some easy ones, and I ran out of time. Like Liz, I missed a current player (don't know how I managed that), and missed a lot of former rookies, but I also missed a lot of players from 2001-3, which is understandable since I only started paying attention to the Swans in mid-2002, and only started following them in as much depth as I currently do in 07-08.

ugg
29th October 2010, 09:19 PM
That's pretty tough - and not over generous on the time. I managed 126 but I think I would have got another 10 or so with more time. Most I missed were past rookies, though I missed at least one current senior player and another because I couldn't spell his name correctly. There were a few I could picture but their names escaped me! And a couple of names on the list that I have absolutely no recollection of.

BTW - I think you've missed (at least) one player.

Can you please PM me the player's name?

I'll do yours ugg, but the decade definitely ended after 2009.

Oh alright, it was a flimsy excuse to submit the quiz. :)

The decade is 2000-2009. "Decade" refers to any allotment of 10 years, so the fact that the millenium began at year 1 is completely irrelevant. Grouping 10 years together has nothing to do with it. If you were to say that a particular decade is "the nth decade", then yes, the absence of a year 0 would become significant, but people don't do that. Simply labelling it as the noughties or whatever is independent. So, following from that, the most logical allotment would be from 0-9. This is also simply conventional. Any allotment will be somewhat artbitrary, but it is the neatest way of doing it, and is the way it is done, so there is no need to change it. :)

Now that that's out of the way, I got 101. Missed some easy ones, and I ran out of time. Like Liz, I missed a current player (don't know how I managed that), and missed a lot of former rookies, but I also missed a lot of players from 2001-3, which is understandable since I only started paying attention to the Swans in mid-2002, and only started following them in as much depth as I currently do in 07-08.

There's two n's in millennium. :p

I did just my own quiz and only got 137. :(

ugg
29th October 2010, 09:30 PM
I just extended the time allocated from 15 minutes to 20 minutes (the maximum available)

liz
29th October 2010, 09:32 PM
Oh alright, it was a flimsy excuse to submit the quiz. :)

Regardless of flimsiness of excuse and meanness of time, it was fun (if a little painful). Thanks for going to the effort of creating it. Doing it by jumper order rather than alphabetical made it a little easier (though less so for the obscure rookies), and of course there are a handful of "free hits" that one gets - players you get right without even having to remember them!

BSA5
29th October 2010, 09:35 PM
Can you please PM me the player's name?

I noticed one you missed as well, but he's kind of a special case. Not sure if it's the same guy, will PM you just in case.

There's two n's in millennium. :p

Christ, and I thought I was pedantic. :p

Xie Shan
29th October 2010, 09:49 PM
I got 105. The quiz reckoned I missed Kieren Jack - how the hell did that happen?! Must have forgotten to put it in.

Missed a lot of the rookies, but somehow remembered Declan O'Mahony, go figure.

I didn't even realise Nick Daffy wore No. 3! Can't believe I missed Luke Vogels, I really rated him back in '05... :(

Otherwise I think I scored pretty similarly to BSA5. Less than 100 would have been banning material though ;)

ugg
29th October 2010, 11:36 PM
Okay mystery player added. Thanks to liz and BSA5.

top40
31st October 2010, 06:50 AM
Is checking the correst spelling cheating?