PDA

View Full Version : Bevan The Forward

Reggi
1st March 2010, 07:17 AM
Forward thinking gives Paul Bevan focus | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/forward-thinking-gives-paul-bevan-focus/story-e6frexwr-1225835324743)

Connolly's dream come true?

goswannie14
1st March 2010, 07:22 AM
Sounds like Connolly wrote it.:p

CJK
1st March 2010, 07:22 AM
I like this move - could work out well.

Plus it means the death of Bevo 'the quarterback', something we'll all be thankful for.

stellation
1st March 2010, 07:28 AM
I'd hate to see him used there at the expense of finding a spot for Rohan or Jetta (no offence to Bevo).

goswannie14
1st March 2010, 08:21 AM
I'd hate to see him used there at the expense of finding a spot for Rohan or Jetta (no offence to Bevo).I agree, both seem to have so much more to offer than Bevan, I think his days as a Swan, playing seniors, may be numbered.

ugg
1st March 2010, 09:11 AM
I'd hate to see him used there at the expense of finding a spot for Rohan or Jetta (no offence to Bevo).
Jetta, not so much. If Louis III does find a spot in the team, it should be in the midfield and not pigeonholed as a crumbing forward. Bevan would be fighting with the likes of Rohan, Moore, Veszpremi for a defensive forward spot.

dimelb
1st March 2010, 10:05 AM
Given his age and growth Rohan is starting to look less like a small forward and more like a KPP.
And Bevan's defensive pressure in the F50 is very strong. He will take some dislodging - all good for us.

johnno
1st March 2010, 11:00 AM
Bevan looks good so far in the forward line so far.

hammo
1st March 2010, 11:43 AM
The word hero gets thrown around far too liberally

Primmy
1st March 2010, 01:12 PM
I thought he did a well worked job in the forward line and I liked it a lot. A few hiccups, but all I have to think of is MickyO 2005 GF....they are not all brilliant all the time! He is hard, seasoned, and when confident he is an accurate kick. The boys respect him. Good enough for me. Whoohoo!!

ShockOfHair
1st March 2010, 01:23 PM
Bevo was fantastic against Saints. That mark over his shoulder in the first quarter was one of the game highlights. A bit lucky with the shoveout later on - if BBBH had done that he'd have been pinged.

I love his aggression at the ball. He'd have to be unlucky not to play in round 1.

floppinab
1st March 2010, 02:31 PM
I picked that up as well, how many minutes did he get in 2005???? Anywooos, been thinking for a while Bevo would work well as a forward, provides that hardness at the contested footy, super important for us given our delivery forward often leaves a lot to be desired.

Number 43
1st March 2010, 03:14 PM
Bevo's a pretty reliable set shot too....

Primmy
1st March 2010, 03:38 PM
I picked that up as well, how many minutes did he get in 2005???? Anywooos, been thinking for a while Bevo would work well as a forward, provides that hardness at the contested footy, super important for us given our delivery forward often leaves a lot to be desired.

Point.
Agreed.

stellation
1st March 2010, 03:52 PM
Given his age and growth Rohan is starting to look less like a small forward and more like a KPP.
And Bevan's defensive pressure in the F50 is very strong. He will take some dislodging - all good for us.
I'm not sold on Bevan's defensive pressure in the F50; I appreciate he may lay a hard tackle but I don't think he has the foot speed to really apply a great deal of pressure. I'd prefer to see a dozen cases of botched/stalled delivery out of the D50 by our opponent than see a couple of bone crunchers put in (whilst the rest of the game folks waltz away from Bevo).

Lucky Knickers
1st March 2010, 04:28 PM
I never know what say: defensive pressure in the F50, forward pressure, offensive pressure...it's very confusing. Is there a right thing?
Anyway on to Bevo. I thought his game on Sat night was one of his best . I would like to see more of that. Like Stella, I'd like to see him really chasing hard and forcing turnovers. His mark on the run back with the flight of the ball was pretty special. Reminded me of Davo's first goal of his superb 4th Qtr vs Cats EF 2005. He's got a ways to go before he's that good but definitely one for the highlights reel.

liz
1st March 2010, 05:08 PM
Reminded me of Davo's first goal of his superb 4th Qtr vs Cats EF 2005 .

I am confused (and that nice little "confused" emoticon doesn't appear to be available)

Lucky Knickers
1st March 2010, 08:50 PM
Oh just being a little silly Liz, it was a long high bomb and he marked in a good contest with a defender!

ScottH
1st March 2010, 09:08 PM
What?

:confused:

Go to the advanced reply option.

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd March 2010, 02:49 AM
Oh just being a little silly Liz, it was a long high bomb and he marked in a good contest with a defender!

I believe the first goal was the snap that left Blight with egg on his face.

Blight - "The way they're playing their not gonna do it this way. You gotta do something radical"

Davis - "Facepalm you stupid bald mother@@@@er!"

P.S. His third goal was the best. The 4th gets all the praise and rightfully so, but the 3rd goal was the best goal of the bunch.

laughingnome
2nd March 2010, 10:18 AM

Blight - "The way they're playing their not gonna do it this way. You gotta do something radical"

Davis - "Facepalm you stupid bald mother@@@@er!".

Damn straight, and Blight immediately tried to back-pedal. I've never heard such stupidity come from the box.

honour_the_name
2nd March 2010, 01:03 PM
Love Bevo in the forward line. He can kick straight and his hardness is very much required. Moore is the likely loser to Bevo for the small forward role. I see G Rowan being very special and taking on the game as that 4th forward from round 1.

giant
2nd March 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not sold on Bevan's defensive pressure in the F50; I appreciate he may lay a hard tackle but I don't think he has the foot speed to really apply a great deal of pressure. I'd prefer to see a dozen cases of botched/stalled delivery out of the D50 by our opponent than see a couple of bone crunchers put in (whilst the rest of the game folks waltz away from Bevo).

I'm with Stella on this one - like the theory, just don't think Bevo's got the forward footy smarts to make a go of it. McGlynn looks a better option (see the super crumb and hand off to ROK from Sat).

stellation
2nd March 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm with Stella on this one - like the theory, just don't think Bevo's got the forward footy smarts to make a go of it. McGlynn looks a better option (see the super crumb and hand off to ROK from Sat).
That's a very good point on Paul's footy smarts, and one I hadn't really pondered. The great man got away with playing the medium sized forward role for years because, apart from his immense talent, he really did have an excellent footy brain- his leading (waving his arms comically) was absolutely first rate and always cleared space, he knew when to drop back/move up and he knew when to take his man away from the play. Does Bevo have that in his footy DNA? Despite his alledged "quarterbacking" I'm afraid I haven't seen it.

I really should say here- I do like Paul, but I like him as a 23-35 spot/10 games per season kind of a guy, not a walkup start in the 22 kind of guy. If he gets the gig and holds it I hope he proves me wrong and kicks 20+ for the season.

ernie koala
2nd March 2010, 05:06 PM
Bevo kicks well for goal and he tackles hard. I think most agree with that....
His biggest weakness is the number of clumsy frees he gives away.

Lucky Knickers
2nd March 2010, 06:02 PM

Davis - "Facepalm you stupid bald mother@@@@er!"

P.S. His third goal was the best. The 4th gets all the praise and rightfully so, but the 3rd goal was the best goal of the bunch.

I've just enjoyed rewatching the final quarter and the high bomb was the 2nd goal. My apologies.
I'm just happy to see that we are discussing Bevo in comparison to the bloke that is the current benchmark for small forwards for the Swans Sydney era IMHO .
Hard act to follow.

Primmy
2nd March 2010, 06:10 PM
I am just happy we are discussing Bevo. Not anihilating him (spell check). Good on you kiddo.

Triple B
2nd March 2010, 06:57 PM
I am just happy we are discussing Bevo. Not anihilating him (spell check). Good on you kiddo.

I maintained, and said so many times in the multitude of Bevo threads over the years, the main reason Bevo threads deteriorated into a bagging-fest was because of connolly.

He was so far one way on Bevan, the non Bevo appreciaters felt the need to go too far the other way to compensate.

I'm quite serious.

That said, I miss connolly :(

hot potato
2nd March 2010, 09:29 PM
Bevan looks like he's cemented his spot, and he's now versatile, that's gotta be a plus, keep em guessing.

HP