PDA

View Full Version : Mac Uni two Div 4 sides....

Bert
15th March 2010, 11:54 AM
Can anyone shed some light on why Mac Uni are allowed to have two Div 4 sides? I was under the assumption that when the league went to this system it was to be only one side in each division.

tara
15th March 2010, 12:13 PM
Because Mac Uni have the numbers and should another club or two pop up next year they will introduce a 5th div.

carnthebats
15th March 2010, 01:28 PM
and why would u want to turn away players???? the more teams the better it is for sydney footy

Dunger
15th March 2010, 02:25 PM
If Mac Uni didn't Sydney, UTS or UNSW would have

Plus it also removes the bye

Shotties
15th March 2010, 02:45 PM
They could have just rotated like three clubs had to last year.

Bert
15th March 2010, 03:50 PM
why werent they forced to move up a division and have a team in each. Is it because the league didnt want a bye in the higher divisions?

Rowdy#8
15th March 2010, 04:12 PM
More teams = more players on the field = can only be good for sydney footy.

Will be interesting come finals time though with 14 teams and only top 4 playing finals - likely to be teams losing only 3 or 4 games through the season and not playing finals

Norris Lurker
15th March 2010, 04:18 PM
They could have just rotated like three clubs had to last year.
Did any club have 22 players missing out on a game every week?
There's quite a few clubs, especially the university clubs, that had to rotate players. But to field an extra team, you'd have to be sure you'll have 22 spare players each and every week; to ensure your extra team can play without forfeiting.

beameup
15th March 2010, 05:15 PM
Did any club have 22 players missing out on a game every week?
There's quite a few clubs, especially the university clubs, that had to rotate players. But to field an extra team, you'd have to be sure you'll have 22 spare players each and every week; to ensure your extra team can play without forfeiting.

I have a son who got about 8 games last year at UNSW/ES, not a good system but they should consider one team in ahigher grade. In saying that no bye is a good outcome

Pekay
16th March 2010, 12:49 PM
I think given the circumstances, that of being so close to the season starting, the only viable option was to place the Kookas in Div 4 rather than put out Divisions 2 & 3 by bumping a Mac Uni team up a grade. Had they known they had such high numbers pre xmas or even early January, that would be a better time to re-fixture their Div 3 team to Div 2, and one each in 3 & 4. They had close to 100 listed for their intra club, good on them for having such strong numbers.

laughingnome
16th March 2010, 02:13 PM
I think given the circumstances, that of being so close to the season starting, the only viable option was to place the Kookas in Div 4 rather than put out Divisions 2 & 3 by bumping a Mac Uni team up a grade. Had they known they had such high numbers pre xmas or even early January, that would be a better time to re-fixture their Div 3 team to Div 2, and one each in 3 & 4. They had close to 100 listed for their intra club, good on them for having such strong numbers.

So is this a case of new university students flocking to the team (Uni Semester started at Mac last week of Feb) thereby amassing numbers? Seems to me that it would be reasonable for Mac to not be able to predict such numbers.

Pickup
16th March 2010, 02:40 PM
Can anyone shed some light on why Mac Uni are allowed to have two Div 4 sides? I was under the assumption that when the league went to this system it was to be only one side in each division.
I understand the increase in numbers are largely due to converts or very inexperienced players going down to see what the fuss is about the greatest game on earth, My understanding of The idea of the re-Structure to NSW footy was to even out the comp's. I dont beleive the Kookas resies would go even close to being competitive up in Div 2.

Hawknik
16th March 2010, 02:44 PM
Spot on PK, cheers for support. It was a simple scenario from Mac point of view - extra numbers to turn away from the game or an extra side?

It is not an ideal situation, but the Club Pres took it to the AFL, said we have extra numbers, and basically we would have 40 plus people missing out each week from playing footy. Div 4 is meant to be social so it made sense to place an extra team in there as it was so close to season start and remove a bye in Div 4 rather than step 2 teams up divisions, create a mess in Div 2 and 3 with bye and change of draw 4 weeks out.

I would assume ideally for 2011 should the numbers continue then the AFL/Mac Uni would have a case for the Div 3 side to be automatically promoted to Div 2 - (interesting scenario anyway, considering Southern Power could not go up for 2010 with being minor premiers in 2009)

Numbers for a variety of reasons:
* winning a premiership helps
* stepping up a div attracts players to play at a higher level
* greater work with the university over the last few years to have a strong presence and relationship within the university
* 3 years since our U18's commenced and these guys moving through to seniors now where we have kept about 75% of those that have played U18's
* greater work with junior clubs in the area paying off
* passionate people growing the club

May see some Old Boys put a jumper on to play under Kookas name!! :)

Pekay
16th March 2010, 03:15 PM
It is a win-win for your club. These blokes new to the game get a feel for it, and we all know soccer players have a fairly similar skill set, all they have to adapt to is the 360 degree movement/contact aspect. These players could very well step up through the grades at MU, and an ideal situation for 2011 would be to have a team each in Div 1-4, plus your 18s. The ECE model has been held up as the benchmark of club admin in Sydney, and rightly so, however Mac Uni are certainly holding their own in that regard over the last few years, and they should be congratulated (Except for Millard)

Seagull
20th March 2010, 11:55 AM
It's always a tough one...when you've got that many numbers at a university club in Sydney, generally most of them are new to the game, some have been lured by "O" week and are learning the skills and rules. To whack them up a grade before they're ready would be like running a two year old horse in a fast class race, it'd break their hearts! We've got 60+ in our fourths, but few would go to thirds right now. We'd throw up another team as well, but then there's the added costs...

stokesalibi
1st April 2010, 04:27 PM
It is a win-win for your club. These blokes new to the game get a feel for it, and we all know soccer players have a fairly similar skill set, all they have to adapt to is the 360 degree movement/contact aspect. These players could very well step up through the grades at MU, and an ideal situation for 2011 would be to have a team each in Div 1-4, plus your 18s. The ECE model has been held up as the benchmark of club admin in Sydney, and rightly so, however Mac Uni are certainly holding their own in that regard over the last few years, and they should be congratulated (Except for Millard)

Thanks for your support of the extra team at mac. Why so much hate against Millard? From what i understand your the one who hit him from behind?

Pekay
1st April 2010, 05:37 PM
At the risk of being chastised by the usual peanut gallery, i'll correct you there.
If you can explain to me, how I can hit a bloke in the mouth from behind, you're a chance of the Nobel Prize for Physics.
He elbowed me in the side of the head, intended for my face, and I retaliated, stupid enough but I was concussed as a result. He went down, I plead guilty, your president and assistant's stories conflicted each others, to the point that the club umpire from Mac Uni told a completely different story to theirs, however it was me doing the right thing- pleading guilty under provocation- that got me four weeks.
Moral to the story? Lie through your teeth at the tribunal. If I ever play again and front those blokes again, i'll tell a tale of great fiction.
And the fact that Millard was playing his return game from 3 weeks off for an elbow, and was referred to on the Warriors website a few weeks ago as Sam Flying Elbows Millard, is the reason why I hold that @@@@@ in the dim light I do. Given the chance again i'd hit him harder.
And now it begins.

beameup
1st April 2010, 08:06 PM
Sounds fair to me, maybe you need to be a bit more subtle about it.

tara
2nd April 2010, 12:44 AM
Pete get over it - its not as though it was late at nite and he confronted you like a dog outside the pizza shop - We work not becuase we want to but as a means to an end - we play or are involved with footy because we want to - the involvement is what working allows us to do that allows us some enjoyment. You should make it you aim to just get a kick again - forget rubbish grudges.

Anyway onto serious matters - if you get a chance I need a runner and even on one leg you would walk rings around Donnie (I should call him walkabout).

Oh year back to the thread - great news that Mac Uni have great numbers, we'd all like to have an abundance - they must be doind something right over there if every man and his dog in their region wants to play for em:cool:

Pekay
2nd April 2010, 09:28 AM
Colesy, I am over it, merely set the record straight by telling the above poster the truth, obviously he's been told the wrong story and is running off hearsay and conjecture, so I won't have my name attached to king hitting someone as Mac Uni's president would have the tribunal,or anyone who'll listen, believe. You've had to defend your club's name over the last few years as all and sundry called you westie junky criminal thugs, did you stay quiet and just get over it? Answer me that, and you'll understand why I chose to reply as I did.
As for Footy, its looking like i'll never get full extension and flexion in my leg so my running days could be over.

Seagull
3rd April 2010, 11:12 AM
Pekay, have to agree...deliberate elbows to the head deserve everything they get in response.

Don't expect much support at the tribunal, I got king hit from behind before a bounce a few years ago, broke my nose and cheekbone and affected my living.

The bloke got two weeks...plus six for pushing the club umpire!!!! Ridiculous! Manly meted out their own punishment to their credit. Anyone convicted of an intentional elbow to the head deserves a year's suspension in my book! Especially when blokes in the lowest grades like Mac Uni's newest side are learning the game and aren't ready for that sort of carry on.

tara
4th April 2010, 12:06 AM
Pekay, have to agree...deliberate elbows to the head deserve everything they get in response.

Don't expect much support at the tribunal, I got king hit from behind before a bounce a few years ago, broke my nose and cheekbone and affected my living.

The bloke got two weeks...plus six for pushing the club umpire!!!! Ridiculous! Manly meted out their own punishment to their credit. Anyone convicted of an intentional elbow to the head deserves a year's suspension in my book! Especially when blokes in the lowest grades like Mac Uni's newest side are learning the game and aren't ready for that sort of carry on.

Mate anyone that touches an umpire deserves 12 months - pushing more in my opinion - maybe im old fashioned but other than the usual banter umpires were always someone you knew you didnt touch - club umpire or not.