PDA

View Full Version : Northern League close to reality

cos789
21st March 2010, 12:03 PM
Northern league possibility
BRENT DIAMOND
March 21, 2010

THE AFL is considering the merits of a northern states football league, in which the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney reserves teams could compete, as early as next season.

The league could also include the Brisbane Lions and Sydney reserves teams, Northern Territory Thunder, which transferred to the AFLQ last season, a representative team from Canberra's ACTAFL, four top clubs from the AFLQ and four Sydney-based clubs.

Northern league possibility (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/northern-league-possibility-20100320-qnbs.html)

How long have we heard proposals for something like this and now it seems it just might happen !

Mug Punter
21st March 2010, 02:32 PM
Northern league possibility
BRENT DIAMOND
March 21, 2010

THE AFL is considering the merits of a northern states football league, in which the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney reserves teams could compete, as early as next season.

The league could also include the Brisbane Lions and Sydney reserves teams, Northern Territory Thunder, which transferred to the AFLQ last season, a representative team from Canberra's ACTAFL, four top clubs from the AFLQ and four Sydney-based clubs.

Northern league possibility (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/northern-league-possibility-20100320-qnbs.html)

How long have we heard proposals for something like this and now it seems it just might happen !

Believe this when we see it.....

Realise that the ACTAFL isn't quitye as strong as it used to be but an ACTAFL rep side would absolutely demolish any of the 4 Sydney clubs. Also the QAFL teams would be a lot stronger than the Sydney sides.

Would be a great idea if it got off the ground. I would have thought an 8 team comp with the following format copuld be more workable

- Swans Reserves
- GWS Reserves
- GC Reserves
- Lions Reserves
- Sydney North
- Sydney South
- ACTAFL
- Cairns AFL

You could then get the Sydney North and South incorporated into the pathway concept.

-Doogs-
30th March 2010, 10:45 AM
It all makes some sense except for the Cairns AFL. It's too far away. They'd be better off putting in a Riverina side.

goswannie14
30th March 2010, 11:03 AM
It all makes some sense except for the Cairns AFL. It's too far away. They'd be better off putting in a Riverina side.Given they are considering an NT side, Cairns is hardly too far away. 2 hours plane trip from Brisbane, 3 from Sydney.These days that is nothing even for semi-professionals.

cos789
30th March 2010, 01:03 PM
And a lot more in keeping with the idea of a East Coast league , even though it'd be nice if Riverina had a rep side somewhere .

laughingnome
30th March 2010, 01:29 PM
Given they are considering an NT side, Cairns is hardly too far away. 2 hours plane trip from Brisbane, 3 from Sydney.

Exactly. Alice Springs and Darwin; the two cities the Northern Territory Football Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Territory_Football_Club) is based in is more then that Cairns by a fair margin.

I'm also not sure how competitve this competition would be. Sure Brisbane finished 5th out of 10 in the QAFL last year (http://www.footynews.info/?r=results/view&season=36) and Sydney struggled in Canberra, but Sydney at least is a hamstrung side (I'm not sure about Brisbane - anyone?). I think full-fielded AFL reserves sides will role the competiton out the door, and if the AFL reserve teams need to be curtailed, then what's the point?

Putting that aside, the proposal in the Age makes for a 14-team competition, no doubt because it leads to a nice 26 round season that would fit Andy D's plans to extend the AFL season. I'm suprised no-one from Sydney AFL has said something on here, because I would have thought 4 teams out of the premier division would leave the standard in the rest of the competition behind, not to mention that these clubs would (presumably) still have to front up lower division and u/18 sides: a task that some clubs struggle with when they play across town, let alone if their top side is playing in another state.

Putting aside the logistics of players, I still think 4 teams from Sydney and 5 (including NT) from the QAFL is too many. I would much rather a system with a maximum of 2 Sydney and QAFL clubs, NT, A Canberra side and the 4 AFL reserve team (making a 10 team competition). An 18 week season plus a final 4 or 5 would work much better given the reduced cost of travel and ability to break for interstate games.

How those teams from the 3 Leagues are decided is another issue. How do you determine which sides to promote? Do you have sides permanently promoted to this competition, or do you have them replaced with a side dominating the Premier division? If they are replaced then how long to you give each team to prove their worth? Do you have a relegation game? Too many questions that aren't answered.

tl;dr
In principle this could be a good idea, but I'm not holding my breath. There's a lot of planning and problems to be worked out by 2012 if the AFL wants this to be where GC17 and GWS play their reserves, and even then I'm not convinced it could work.

Doped Youth
30th March 2010, 03:02 PM
My head hurts from just reading that. Too hard basket in that time frame i reckon

beameup
30th March 2010, 03:16 PM
Biggest concern is that by putting another level in from Sydney would further dilute the Sydney comp. Good example is gws TAC Cup side which has pulled about 25 boys out of comp (probably around 10 each week). If you took around 50 out of first grade (mostly Premier League and some !st Divisiion) the standard would drop. Mind you it would be attractive for the younger players to strive for and might give a better pathway to AFL.

How would the Sydney teams be funded? Maybe one Sydney representative team at developemnt level, say under 23s.

In all a mixed blessing.

beameup
30th March 2010, 03:18 PM
Just another thought, one Sydney team would allow a Riverina team to come in without a bye

cos789
30th March 2010, 03:20 PM
To me the actual structure seems a little ambitious .
Obviously the basic requirements would be the AFL reserve team for the Lions , Swans , GC and GWS and an ACT team .

beameup
30th March 2010, 03:26 PM
Seems fair but I would add a Sydney and Brisbane team as rep type teams. Maybe they don't play first couple of years until it gets going and they are organised

cos789
30th March 2010, 05:34 PM
Yes , a rep team from Brisbane,Sydney and NT would be the next choice giving an 8 team league.
A solid staring point .
I know that I'm dreaming but the next level could be Cairns , PNG , Newcastle even NZ .