PDA

View Full Version : to boo or not to boo (Jolly and Hall split thread)

Bas
12th April 2010, 11:29 PM
But how do you boo Mrs "I want to go back to Melbourne" Jolly?

Perhaps everyone calls out "wimp" when hen pecked Darren gets the ball.

BSA5
12th April 2010, 11:43 PM

A communal whip-crack should suffice!

Jewels
13th April 2010, 12:21 AM

Bloody good idea!!!!! (five)

AnnieH
13th April 2010, 12:28 AM
Blind Barry's gunna cop a total razzing ... bought our tickets today for Manuka ... ROW A. You're gunna hear me Baz.

Jolly will get a boo ... as well as the whip. That's a great idea.

The "ex"-junkie will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be booed. Just for being a tool.

goswannie14
13th April 2010, 09:40 AM
Blind Barry's gunna cop a total razzing ... bought our tickets today for Manuka ... ROW A. You're gunna hear me Baz.

Jolly will get a boo ... as well as the whip. That's a great idea.I won't boo Baz....sorry Annie. Jolly is another matter though given the circumstances.

Jeffers1984
13th April 2010, 09:45 AM
I will be very disappointed if we boo Barry Hall.

Primmy
13th April 2010, 09:48 AM
And I am with you Go..... I wouldn't boo Baz. He blundered, paid the price. After time he was fortunate enough to get one more chance and he is making the most of it.

It would be churlish to attack him. Sorry Annie, you may be on your own here. BBB did us a power of good over the years, no matter how it ended.

Big Al
13th April 2010, 10:10 AM
I won't boo Baz....sorry Annie. Jolly is another matter though given the circumstances.

I won't be booing Barry as well. He's our premiership captain and the image of him holding the cup is one that will stay with me forever.

Yes GS,as for Jolly, that will be open slather

Plugger46
13th April 2010, 10:36 AM
I don't boo anyone, just not something I do. Not bothered by anyone else doing it but I'd be disappointed if we boo Hall.

Yuri H
13th April 2010, 10:45 AM
I could never boo Barry Hall. I'm still heartbroken over his decline and fall with the Swans. Heck, I can't even change my pic yet! Though if McGlynn keeps playing as well as he has ...

re:Jolly, hmm ... still out on that, though shouting "wimp!" and cracking whips is a funny enough image that I could be easily swayed.

Jewels
13th April 2010, 12:23 PM

I'm front row at Manuka also Annie and he's going to cop it from me too.

I will be very disappointed if we boo Barry Hall.

Prepare to be disappointed then, I think there'll be a few of us giving him what for.

I won't be booing Barry as well. He's our premiership captain and the image of him holding the cup is one that will stay with me forever.

That was through good luck rather than good management. It should have been Kirk!

Gee, if a Swans fan can't boo someone like Cuz at our own home ground, we might as well give up. Give me a break, the SCG crowd needs to be even MORE passionate and uncomprimising IMO, not chastised for having a go at tosser like Cousins.

Next thread should be about our collective shame of how nasty the big bad SCG crowd was to Wayne Carey. :rolleyes:

Exactly right Damien!

big bear
13th April 2010, 07:01 PM

Yes GS,as for Jolly, that will be open slather

Could not agree more. Hall no. But give pussy Jolly heaps.

CureTheSane
13th April 2010, 07:08 PM
I don't boo anyone, just not something I do. Not bothered by anyone else doing it but I'd be disappointed if we boo Hall.

Same.

Matty10
13th April 2010, 07:50 PM
I don't see the point in trying to boo ex-players - makes us seem too much like jilted lovers (although I probably wouldn't boo an ex-girlfriend if she walked down the street either ;)).

They moved on - no big deal - so have we. I think the club did well by the players when they wanted to leave, and they have not subsequently criticised the club, so I am happy enough with the situation.

The only time I think some abuse is warranted at a game is when an unsavoury on-field incident occurs. Perhaps if a player slagged off the club in the media it might also warrant some abuse, but otherwise I think it is just a poor reflection on the supporter base.

A collective boo each time someone gets the ball is also a bit boring.

Peace
13th April 2010, 08:17 PM
i think I'll give jolly a boo (just one), but not barry, cmon he captained our premiership team AND gave staker one of the greatest left hooks i have ever seen, however i encourage everyone to give him a good witty sledging if he comes close to you :)

Peace

teddys mum
13th April 2010, 08:20 PM
No boos for Hall or Jolly but I might jeer Jolly if he does something a bit silly - after all he cost us the 06 GF

Plugger1300
13th April 2010, 08:21 PM
Agreed with most posts, i will not boo Baz. He did the hard yards for us and with a more attacking game plan perhaps he wouldn't have struck out. Jolly came to Sydney got a premiership and left when it looked like the going was getting tough.
Boo away people

Jewels
13th April 2010, 08:23 PM
No boos for Hall or Jolly but I might jeer Jolly if he does something a bit silly - after all he cost us the 06 GF

I think Hall should shoulder a lot more of the blame for 06 then Jolly.
At least Jolly had an excuse for being crap!

Big Al
13th April 2010, 08:55 PM
I think Hall should shoulder a lot more of the blame for 06 then Jolly.
At least Jolly had an excuse for being crap!

Hall was crap that day no question but all players have bad days. Jolly is a professional footballer and he did not prepare for the game like a professional footballer and for that, he had no excuse.

Jewels
13th April 2010, 09:36 PM
Hall was crap that day no question but all players have bad days. Jolly is a professional footballer and he did not prepare for the game like a professional footballer and for that, he had no excuse.

If you remember, he had a badly dislocated finger.
I didn't say Jolly was free of blame, but he was carrying a nasty injury. To say that Jolly cost us the 06 flag is just plain wrong.

pinkemu
13th April 2010, 10:47 PM
Booing is the lowest form of heckling. If your going to open your mouth, make it entertaining, there's not enough entertainment in the stands these days.

Bas
13th April 2010, 10:53 PM
I didn't say Jolly was free of blame, but he was carrying a nasty injury. To say that Jolly cost us the 06 flag is just plain wrong.

Can anyone remember which Fremantle player punched him in the nose?

Yuri H
13th April 2010, 11:11 PM
It's a kneejerk defense, but ... I was just re-watching the Bulldogs/Hawks game, and still every time Hall comes on, my voice drops two octaves and I bellow "HAWWWWLEEE" ... I can't boo the big lug. Call it reflexive.

Jolly, on the other hand, with his boo-hoo-hoo-wanna-move-to-Melburrrrrrn stuff ... I'm a bit less merciful.

Schneider, simularly, was there when I first discovered AFL, was moving to Sydney, and found the Swans. I just couldn't boo the little fireplug.

goswannie14
14th April 2010, 08:27 AM
I didn't say Jolly was free of blame, but he was carrying a nasty injury. To say that Jolly cost us the 06 flag is just plain wrong.An injured finger wasn't the reason that is being cited. His inability to count to 9 is what cost us the 06 GF. He did not prepare himself for the game as he had his mind elsewhere, as a result of his thinking below the belt in December 05. I think it's been said elsewhere, but AFL footballers shouldn't be having unprotected sex in December if they are serious about playing in a GF 9 months later. (There I've said it.)

Blood
14th April 2010, 09:04 AM
Boo Barry? What did he do to warrant that, exactly? Premiership captain, always gave 100% of himself and left us in tears. Deserves respect.

Boo Jolly? No, not acceptable either, given his performances in a Swans guernsey. But if someone were to smack his ungrateful scrag of a missus over the back of the head with, say, a bumper edition of Vogue magazine, i'd have no objections.

Molly dooker
14th April 2010, 10:04 AM
Boo Barry? What did he do to warrant that, exactly? Premiership captain, always gave 100% of himself and left us in tears. Deserves respect.

Boo Jolly? No, not acceptable either, given his performances in a Swans guernsey. But if someone were to smack his ungrateful scrag of a missus over the back of the head with, say, a bumper edition of Vogue magazine, i'd have no objections.

I'm with you, I can't, won't shan't boo Barry. Jolly, well I won't boo him because I think we've done really well out of him leaving. Schneids I can't boo because he gave his all and I wish him the best, same as Buch's.

Now to Cousins, I gave him "you're not a Tiger, you're a cheater" on the weekend, "CHEATER" was my call because that's what he was. We were robbed by drug cheats in the '06 GF no doubt about it. Cousins wasn't the only one on drugs but the others haven't been outed, so I won't say what my source told me. Don't worry folks, the names don't include our Seab's he's a good man.

Take a look at Cousin's play now, he can't run as fast, endure nearly as long, get up from big bumps as quickly nor has that ravaged desperate look in his eyes that meth addicts have. He's just a normal player now and I will never forgive him and some other players from the Eagles for not providing a fair game and stealing our '06 Flag.

"CHEATER" for Cousins is about as far as my sledging goes as I do prefer to find the positive in both teams on the field at all times, completely biased when it's our boys however, it's the Sydney way.

Midfield
14th April 2010, 10:07 AM

Agreed. Although, I can guarantee both will be booed as a large portion of the crowd think this is simply what you do when a player dons another jumber. I've raised it before but Schneider still gets booed everynow and then and its a bloody discrace.

CJK
14th April 2010, 10:14 AM
I boo Schneider when he is kicking for goal. What's the judgment on that?

Opposition kicking for goal = 'boo!' surely

Further to that, I'll be welcoming Barry with a standing ovation but if he lines up for 6 points it'll be boos. I'll clap him off as well though.

Big Al
14th April 2010, 10:21 AM

Injuries are no excuse. If he played like that because of the injury then the Swans erred in playing him. We all know that his performance on Grand Final day was due to other factors and not the injury. Did Jolly cost us the flag on his own... No, but his performance certainly didn't help considering Cox was the difference in the 2 sides.

Jewels
14th April 2010, 11:13 AM
Injuries are no excuse. If he played like that because of the injury then the Swans erred in playing him.
If you remember, he was our only ruck at the time with Doyle brought into the team to back him up. In hindsight, perhaps Roos' should not have played him but as there was no other reliable replacement, he had no choice.

We all know that his performance on Grand Final day was due to other factors and not the injury.
And you know this how?
So Hall is allowed to play like crap in a GF, then spend the next few years flailing his fists at all and sundry everytime things don't go his way all because he "has problems with his love life" and that's ok, but Jolly lost us the flag because he played injured and his wife had a baby?

Did Jolly cost us the flag on his own... No, but his performance certainly didn't help considering Cox was the difference in the 2 sides.
Cox had a great game but if there was one player that was the difference it was Cousins.

Kirkari
14th April 2010, 12:10 PM
A communal whip-crack should suffice!

Perfect!

IrishSwanPerth
14th April 2010, 10:48 PM
Why would you boo? we would have never won grand final without them, bought of them have given all for the Swans, will Paul Roos boo them??
Bought will be remembered as Swans legends

magic.merkin
15th April 2010, 09:24 AM
No Boo Barry.
Boo Jolly.
No boo Schneider.

Trickster
15th April 2010, 11:25 AM
No Boo Barry.
Boo Jolly.
No boo Schneider.

Agreed-with the proviso that if Barry has a brain snap and hits one of our boys all bets are off!
I'm glad shrek has a second chance and is doing well (until he plays us then I hope he has a cruddy game)
Same for Schneider (and Buchanan-remember him?)
Jolly-well to go to another team because of a family situation is fine, to request to go to flipping crockingwood-you have to expect your old team supporters to give you grief and boo you

Big Al
15th April 2010, 05:59 PM
And you know this how?
So Hall is allowed to play like crap in a GF, then spend the next few years flailing his fists at all and sundry everytime things don't go his way all because he "has problems with his love life" and that's ok, but Jolly lost us the flag because he played injured and his wife had a baby?

I know this because players don't run on their hands. His lack of run in that he allowed Cox free reign had to do with his energy levels and not his injured hands. As for Hall I agree with you regarding his behaviour as I've stated many times but he is our premiership captain and that makes all the difference.

Primmy
15th April 2010, 08:25 PM
Oh my. Booing Monty.....oh no I couldn't do that!!! It wouldn't be right. No, above all the others, no one dare boo Buchanan in my vicinity. Anyway he has a broken thumb, courtesy of his first game, and he was traded to Brissy after we asked him if it was ok, so we could get Braddles. Win Win. Noo, we are not going to be booing Monty......he kicked the goal that got us in front at the GF.....no, don't you dare.!!!!

Triple B
15th April 2010, 09:26 PM
....and he was traded to Brissy after we asked him if it was ok, so we could get Braddles.

I agree with you about Monty and I'd be very surprised if anybody boos him. He just aint boo-able and certainly the circumstances surrounding his departure don't deserve it.

However he was traded to the Brians on the very first day of trading. Until Bradshaw got the call to fly down to have a look at the facilities at Princes Park late in the week, I doubt even Nostradamus would have foreseen the chain of events which led to him landing at the Swans.

AnnieH
15th April 2010, 11:43 PM
So Blind Barry lines up for goal and no-one's gunna boo.

Sheeeeeeeessssssshhhhhhhhhh.

We boo EVERY OTHER OPPOSITION PLAYER going for a goal. What makes Blind Barry so special now??

Someone earlier said move on ... it's time to boo.

Doctor
15th April 2010, 11:47 PM
Booing anyone as they line up for goal is different. Any opposition player doing that deserves whatever we can do to distract them.

Around the ground, as they run on and off and at other times of the game for me it's no to Hall, yes to Jolly. It's also no to Schneider (I always give him a cheer when he's announced) and no to Monty. In historical terms it was always yes to Shannon Grant and Anthony Rocca too.

nomae
16th April 2010, 12:18 PM
Now to Cousins, I gave him "you're not a Tiger, you're a cheater" on the weekend, "CHEATER" was my call because that's what he was. We were robbed by drug cheats in the '06 GF no doubt about it. Cousins wasn't the only one on drugs but the others haven't been outed, so I won't say what my source told me. Don't worry folks, the names don't include our Seab's he's a good man.

Take a look at Cousin's play now, he can't run as fast, endure nearly as long, get up from big bumps as quickly nor has that ravaged desperate look in his eyes that meth addicts have. He's just a normal player now and I will never forgive him and some other players from the Eagles for not providing a fair game and stealing our '06 Flag."

Does anyone else actually believe this? Robert Walls can say all he wants but the notion that the eagles players' performances were boosted by illegal drugs to me is simply ridiculous.

We couldve won, we didnt, it sucks. end of story.

oh and for the record no way will I boo barry nor have I ever booed the schneiderman. Maybe a whip or two for Jolly.

snajik
16th April 2010, 01:36 PM
Time to move on I reckon. The nature of football has changed. Clubs spit out players far more regularly than players demand a new team these days. Thought of booing the club for its role in cutting Schneider and Dempster, two premiership players? Did anyone question the character of Jolly for leaving Melbourne in the first place, or Mumford for taking the big bucks and joining us, Hall, Lockett?

At the end of the day the team is probably in better hands without Jolly all trades considered. So who cares?

Incidentally that p whipped expression screams 1950s anachronism. It simply implies that a woman should be subservient as opposed to having a capacity to contribute to the decision making process. Very Pete Campbell.

ShockOfHair
16th April 2010, 02:03 PM
I boo Schneider when he is kicking for goal. What's the judgment on that?

He usually manages to miss without any help.

Kirkari
16th April 2010, 02:25 PM
Incidentally that p whipped expression screams 1950s anachronism. It simply implies that a woman should be subservient as opposed to having a capacity to contribute to the decision making process. Very Pete Campbell.

Not really. IMO these days it refers to someone whose opportunities are compromised by lack of support, need for control and general selfishness of his or her partner.

snajik
16th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Not really. IMO these days it refers to someone whose opportunities are compromised by lack of support, need for control and general selfishness of his or her partner.

Hmmm. Sounds like a fairly subjective process. And why p whipped if it also refers to her partner?

CureTheSane
16th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone else actually believe this?

No.

Kirkari
16th April 2010, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like a fairly subjective process. And why p whipped if it also refers to her partner?

Not p whipped, just whipped. I didn't see any p until you put it in there. Though someone mentioned "pussy Jolly", in which case he's a whipped p, not p whipped. ;-)

Vonsteinman
16th April 2010, 05:37 PM

Given the explanation, I think it's entirely possible for a female to be "p whipped"....

snajik
16th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Not p whipped, just whipped. I didn't see any p until you put it in there. Though someone mentioned "pussy Jolly", in which case he's a whipped p, not p whipped. ;-)

Yes true. However I thought that was an abbreviation of the other more lurid version. I could be wrong.