PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Sydney match

johnno
20th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Have just read on the swans website that the swans and eagles wil be playing for the HMAS Sydney cup this ANZAC weekend. With a trophy being made up to represent the HMAS Sydney's badge, and a medal that looks like a bullet caseing I think to go to the player that's adjudged best on ground. It sounds like this will be an annual event. Does anyone know if this is true? Will the swans be penciled in for a match against the eagles every ANZAC weekend just like Coll vs Ess games?

CJK
20th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Soon every game will be played for a shiny trinket.

ROK Lobster
20th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Do we get to be the Germans?

Bas
20th April 2010, 06:12 PM

Yes and there will be free sauerkraut and weisswurst sausage for anyone goose stepping into the ground whilst wearing their Chinese made imiitation Hitler moustache.

dimelb
20th April 2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not happy about tying the match in with Anzac Day commemoration - one is enough. I'd rather we played for the Black Swan Cup (or Egg, or whatever). After all, that's how we got our name.

ScottH
20th April 2010, 07:25 PM
Don't mention the war.

giant
20th April 2010, 07:27 PM

Pls come back more often.

ScottH
20th April 2010, 07:38 PM
Our fallen heroes - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/92631/default.aspx)

erica
20th April 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm hoping for a visit by a black hawk helicopter. They haven't done that for a few years but I so loved it looming down over the SCG when they did. It would make my day.

stellation
20th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Yes and there will be free sauerkraut and weisswurst sausage for anyone goose stepping into the ground whilst wearing their Chinese made imiitation Hitler moustache.

What do you have to do for a sausage roll?

Trickster
20th April 2010, 09:23 PM

Lederhosen

Dalai Lama
21st April 2010, 10:52 AM
let us hope we SINK the West Coke Eagle Boys!

Primmy
21st April 2010, 11:43 AM
I think this is a good one and has great synchronisity.

HMAS Sydney went down off the West Coast of Australia during WW2 and was relocated within the last 12 months. Makes sense to me, and why not start an Anzac style tradition, as long as its a weekend, not the weekday....

liz
21st April 2010, 12:35 PM
Don't dislike the idea of clubs playing themed games with named trophies but not keen on the idea of BOG medals. It irritates me when supporters (or the media) garnish the CVs of players with Anzac Day medals or Showdown medals and elevate these to similar status as Norm Smith, Brownlows or Colemans. I like the fact that there have been no such irrelevant medals awarded for Swans games.

Jewels
21st April 2010, 12:55 PM
Don't dislike the idea of clubs playing themed games with named trophies but not keen on the idea of BOG medals. It irritates me when supporters (or the media) garnish the CVs of players with Anzac Day medals or Showdown medals and elevate these to similar status as Norm Smith, Brownlows or Colemans. I like the fact that there have been no such irrelevant medals awarded for Swans games.

So often these BOG medals go to reputation and not performance on the day.
I remember a few years back Judd winning the Ross Glendinning Medal when Freo had comprehensibly beaten WCE in the derby and the Freo fans were criticised for booing him, but when you watch the replay, it was his reputation that won it not anything he had done on the field (much like the 05 GF really)

ROK Lobster
21st April 2010, 02:25 PM
HMAS Sydney went down off the West Coast of Australia during WW2 and was relocated within the last 12 months. Where did they move it to?

Bas
21st April 2010, 03:06 PM

Go to the shop.

RogueSwan
21st April 2010, 04:25 PM
Go to the shop.

But it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll. :p

dimelb
21st April 2010, 05:49 PM
but it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll. :p
lol!

Bas
21st April 2010, 10:03 PM

Exactly, much easier to goosestep. Reward is so much greater. German Sausage >> Sausage Roll.

goswannie14
22nd April 2010, 07:20 AM
But it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll. :pThe first time I sang that to my teenage daughters, they looked at me in disbelief!!!

ScottH
22nd April 2010, 08:44 AM
The first time I sang that to my teenage daughters, they looked at me in disbelief!!!

Maybe it was your singing, not the words!! ;)

T-bag
22nd April 2010, 11:01 AM
Eagles are pumped for this one. Will be a tough game for the swannies

reigning premier
22nd April 2010, 12:33 PM
I think this is a good one and has great synchronisity.

HMAS Sydney went down off the West Coast of Australia during WW2 and was relocated within the last 12 months. Makes sense to me, and why not start an Anzac style tradition, as long as its a weekend, not the weekday....

Where did they move it to?

Hmmmm..... Yes.... How do you move a sunken >7,000 tonne ship?

Triple B
22nd April 2010, 01:53 PM
Put it next to the HMAS Otway in Holbrook.

Now how the hell did they get a submarine into Holbrook?

Triple B
22nd April 2010, 01:57 PM

A lot of guys raised in Western Sydney would remember singing 'It's a long way to the Cross, if you want to ...........'

BSA5
22nd April 2010, 02:20 PM
A lot of guys raised in Western Sydney would remember singing 'It's a long way to the Cross, if you want to ...........'

...have a nice, sophisticated night out on the town?

Big Al
22nd April 2010, 02:26 PM

Back in those days it was worth the trip...;)

Triple B
22nd April 2010, 02:27 PM
...have a nice, sophisticated night out on the town?

... something like that, but our lyrics rhymed. :)

Big Al
22nd April 2010, 02:29 PM
Put it next to the HMAS Otway in Holbrook.

Now how the hell did they get a submarine into Holbrook?

Lots and lots of lubricant...

AnnieH
22nd April 2010, 02:56 PM
Lots and lots of lubricant...

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Funny.

BSA5
22nd April 2010, 04:32 PM
... something like that, but our lyrics rhymed. :)

Out of interest, what were the lyrics? I've come up with a few: "@@@@ a mole", "find a hole", etc.

Triple B
22nd April 2010, 04:36 PM
Bingo.

I'll let you work out which one you got right. ;)

BSA5
22nd April 2010, 04:42 PM
Bingo.

I'll let you work out which one you got right. ;)

@@@@ a mole? That was my first thought, but then, I associate moles more with Western Sydney than I do the Cross! The Cross is for pros, not gifted amateurs. ;)

dimelb
22nd April 2010, 04:44 PM
How about "moll"?

Lucky Knickers
25th April 2012, 07:16 PM
What ever happened to this cup? Was it just a one-off or do we play for it everytime we play against West Coast?

So Liz, how are you feeling about the Brett Kirk medal? :smile:

erica
25th April 2012, 07:21 PM
There's another cup and another medal coming up next weekend. Can't we just play games anymore without all this stuff?

Alec Campbell Cup
Hawthorn and the Sydney Swans will compete for the Alec Campbell Cup in honour of the last known survivor of the Gallipoli campaign. Alec Campbell, 103, passed away on May 16 2002 and as a Tasmanian, his daughter, Felicity Tangney will present the Cup to the winning team.

Frank MacDonald Medal
The player whose "conduct and play during the game best exemplifies the ANZAC spirit - skill, courage in adversity, self-sacrifice, team work and fair play" will be awarded the Frank MacDonald Medal. The medal is awarded in honour of Australia?s oldest World War I veteran and last surviving serviceman to have been cited for bravery in that war, passing away at 107 years on the August 23, 2003.

DLBIA14
25th April 2012, 08:00 PM
While I think all of this stuff is excessive, I don't think it really matters. It's not like this 'cup match' will be an annual thing between Hawthorn and Sydney. It'll just be for Hawthorn and a team they play in Tassie.