PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs go back to back in thriller (Match report)

Norris Lurker
21st September 2003, 10:25 PM
The Sydney AFL began in 1903, and in the first season East Sydney defeated North Shore in the grand final. East Sydney are now merged into Uni NSW, but the two teams played off again in this the centenary grand final.
North Shore had been the standout team all season, dropping only 2 home and away games with a percentage of just under 200; then easily accounting for St George in the major semi. On the other hand, reigning premiers UNSW-ES did it the hard way, having only 2 wins until round 10 but then hit form and only lost one game since; and during the finals easily accounted for Campbelltown in the minor semi and held St George goalless after half-time in the prelim final to earn a shot at back-to-back titles.
Constantino opened the scoring for UNSW-ES, with a free from a tight angle at the 4 minute mark. Cruttenden added another for the Bulldogs after captain Jason McPherson found him unmarked. North Shore were inaccurate early, racking up 5 behinds before Simon Webb recorded the Bombers' first; but at quarter time the Bulldogs were leading 2.5 (17) to 1.6 (12).
North Shore emerged with a lot more run after the first break. Ruckman Ben Shiedow put the Bombers in front after a strong mark in the opening minute of the second term, and Dale added another 2 minutes later. Cameron Templeton got on the board for the Bulldogs, but the Bombers were wasting chances. Marc Bajcic scored from a strong mark not long before half time and the Bombers led by 10 at half-time - 4.11 (35) to 3.7 (25).
Two goals in 2 minutes to Templeton opened the 3rd term and restored the Bulldogs' lead. The Bombers were winning the ball from the centre but were wasteful up forward, and by the 10 minute mark had a scoreline of 4.14. At that point, scores were level. Bajcic and Rose then goaled on the run and for a few moments it looked like the Bombers were away. But ticking into time-on again, Shane McGeorge kicked a shot that looked to be touched on the line but was awarded a goal. Lex Vasdekis and Ben Coughlan then added for the Bulldogs, and at three-quarter time UNSW-ES were back in front, 8.9 (57) to 6.15 (51).
It was tense and tight in the three-quarter-time huddles. I went out and listened to North Shore's Chris Rourke; who pleaded for a final effort. "You've been easily the best side all season, but there's no prizes for being the best side all season. The prize goes to who's the best side today" and lamented that their poor kicking could rob them of that prize unless they lifted their game in the last.
But it was Jason McPherson who opened the goalkicking in the last term, marking and goaling from the pocket to open up a 13-point lead. But by now it was UNSW-ES who were panicking and indisciplined, and a string of free kicks and 50-metre penalties contributed to the Bombers scoring the next 4 goals. By the 17-minute mark, it was North Shore by 12 points and it looked like the nightmare of last season's loss to the Bulldogs would finally be erased.
But it wasn't over yet. Simon Ness gathered the ball in a scrap from a boundary throw-in, and Simon Templeton led and goaled a minute later to level the scores. Close grand finals are one thing, but this was extraordinary; and the tension was unbelievable. Up and down the ball went, with every player on both teams going in hard and devoting every last drop of energy to the cause.
But cometh the hour cometh the man, and at the 26 minute mark came the defining moment. North Shore's Daniel Kulk looked to have the sit for a defensive mark; but Cameron Templeton flew for a major speckie, pulled the ball down, went back and slotted the ball through for a goal that gave the Bulldogs the lead.
There were 2 minutes to go, and the Bombers pressed hard; but the Bulldogs were able to hit the boundary line when it mattered, and the final siren sounded to give the Bulldogs back-to-back titles; 12.10 (82) to 10.16 (76).
For the Bulldogs the siren produced scenes of total jubilation, as a season that looked a write-off at the half-way mark had come good, culminating in this amazing upset. But for the Bombers, they were totally stunned; having dominated the competition all season but fallen at the final hurdle for the 2nd year in a row and the 3rd in the last 4 years.
For the second year in a row, Shane McGeorge won the Podbury Medal for best player in the grand final. His performance in the midfield was exceptional.

Better news for North Shore's reserves, undefeated all season and defeating Pennant Hills in the grand final 12.14 (86) to 6.8 (43). But Pennant Hills reversed that result in the U18s, with a 8.12 (60) to 8.5 (53) win over the Bombers.
And a notable quote to finish, during the medal presentations, from UNSW-ES's runner. "There are long ships, there are tall ships, but what about the bloody friendships." A great quote to celebrate the end of a season from our wonderful game, a game that whether we win or lose brings us all together.

j s
22nd September 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
But Pennant Hills reversed that result in the U18s, with a 8.12 (60) to 8.5 (53) win over the Bombers. The correct score for his game:

NS 8.5( 53), PH 6.12 (48), Richardson(umpire) 2.0 (12) - A great victory for the man in white.

shearer
23rd September 2003, 04:23 PM
Still cant believe Norths choked. They were the best side all year but UNSW/Easts just goes to show that you can BUY premierships.

David McGeorge was sensational but i cant believe Cameron Templeton didnt get named in the best.

It must be heartbreaking for Willo & Rourkey, thats only 1 flag out of the last 4 attempts.

jude_boltons_babe
23rd September 2003, 05:36 PM
and i also was shocked that norths didnt win and i also think cameron templeton should of won best on ground

Norris Lurker
23rd September 2003, 09:51 PM
Cameron Templeton was great up forward for the Bulldogs. Every football person's favourite dream would be to take a screamer and kick the winning goal in a grand final, and last Sunday was the day Templeton's dreams came true. But McGeorge was great in the midfield, and I think the right person won the Podbury Medal.
I had my camera out at the game, and the pics are now up at http://www.geocities.com/norris_lurker/grfinal1.htm for those who wish to relive the excitement and emotion of the day.

j s
23rd September 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
I had my camera out at the game, and the pics are now up at http://www.geocities.com/norris_lurker/grfinal1.htm for those who wish to relive the excitement and emotion of the day.
Only ONE U18 pic Norris? :mad:

At least you had #10 in it! :)

Rafters
25th September 2003, 10:43 AM
thought it was great to see Norths choke again in the GF. How many times have they been runners-up in the past 20 years? They should definitely have alot more to show than their 2 premierships

perhaps they need to return to the same tactics of 1991 in order to win one.

shearer
25th September 2003, 04:57 PM
I remember the 91 GF well, i think after that day the league changed forever.And for the good.

In those days it really was survival of the fittest. Rafters how many players on each side did it end up??14 versus 11???

The only more brutal GF was the 87 one where Betros & Campbelltown went berserk.

Rafters
25th September 2003, 05:36 PM
we were down to 15 on the paddock at the final siren (1 sent off & 4 injured), whilst Norths still had the full complement (18 a side back then) & we still only lost by 4 goals! Gee Monarch Field was a big ground with 3 less players!!

we lost 2 guys in the first 3 minutes of play due to broken cheekbones behind play - not ideal when the bench only had 2 guys as well.

the aftermath was quite amazing - something like 24 players reported in total for over 200 weeks in suspensions. two of their guys got over a year - a small price for a premiership!! Our guys got reported mostly in the last quarter mainly trying to "square the ledger" when our coach Ronnie Thomas lost the plot at 3/4 time (trust me - he was an excellent coach until then!). Both clubs were also ruled ineligible for points in the first 3 rounds in season 1992 - & thus wrecking that season.

I remember Ian Chappell on the now defunct Wide World of Sports commentating on the 1987 GF saying a classic line "I went to the fights & I saw a game of footy in between" - Betros got something like 3 years suspension - another small price for a premiership medallion!

shearer
25th September 2003, 09:31 PM
I remember watching Archie at the first bounce and saw him kinghit when the ball was in the air, he was Parramattas best player and was off in the first seconds.

I also remember Ron THomas's address at the break, some of our blokes can still quote it word for word.

Betros got 48 weeks, wrote to the queen for a pardon but got knocked back..they really targetted Tony Quinn who didnt last the first 10 minutes. There coach said to Steve Taubert(St George Coach) after the prelim final, "if Quinny makes it to quarter time your a chance".

The stupid thing was Campbelltown were the dominant team all year and didnt need to do all that headhunting.